Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2010, 08:33   #706
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_sandiego View Post
Thanks all.

Akhil, When you say FE of 14-15 kmpl in city, I am assuming you own petrol version. That's great considering my Santro petrol gives only that much approx.

Also can you throw some light on these rear sensors and Leather seat covers - What to look for /do's/Don'ts. How do they wire the rear sensors ( hopefully they do not have to make any holes? )

thanks
MSK
I have a Diesel version.
And yes they drilled hole to back bumper for Reverse parking sensor and one additional mirror was placed on the existing mirror.
Old 18th January 2010, 11:47   #707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper21 View Post
The sales numbers may be good, but not many Manzas on the road in Bangalore, I have just seen totally 3 or 4. Wonder where are all these guys !!
True. If this car is supposed to be such a mega hit, how come its so scarce on the roads.
Also, tbhpians who own manza are surprisingly quite in their ownership report.. does it indicate a niggle free TATA product ?
Old 18th January 2010, 12:00   #708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
True. If this car is supposed to be such a mega hit, how come its so scarce on the roads.
Also, tbhpians who own manza are surprisingly quite in their ownership report.. does it indicate a niggle free TATA product ?
True even i havnt seen a lot of Manza's in Blr, Have seen only 4 in my co's parking lot. 2 in my Apartments so that is 6 :(..!
And personally i wouldn't worry about it coz VFM and space and reasonable quality is what i am looking at and to that extent very few match the Manza. Maybe you can go for the "niggle free" rattler Dzire or the very "spacious" SX4 or the very "affordable" Jazz or City. *tongue in cheek*

And as far as the T-BHP reports go, GTO nailed it for me and this just made me book the manza quicker http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-aura-abs.html
Old 18th January 2010, 12:06   #709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
+1 to that. All the owners on TBHP are silent. AFAIK, the last update on one of the cars was by sunil about the 4th of Jan.

I counted 7 towards the end of decemebr and do know a couple more added after that.

Guys where are the reviews?
Old 18th January 2010, 17:13   #710
BANNED

You aren't factoring the waiting period and the fact that only few of us signed up for being test pilots. Besides enjoying all the attention for past 2+ months, I have spotted at least two Manza even in the small town I happened to visit. Yes, there I got complements for getting hands on the vehicle faster than the bigwig's sons who are known to get the latest cars & bikes etc., first. When driver took the vehicle for a car wash, got priority there too since the dealer wanted to begin the first working day after new year with new car
2600 Kms and going smooth.
Regarding Tata's A.S.S - Am simply impressed. Other day, service manager called up to fix an appointment and got his mechanic to my house to replace the combo switch (albeit after 6 weeks of waiting period) which I had though of a small pat, but turned out to be the huge part under the steering wheel which has the indicator/light etc.,

Vijay

Last edited by vjoy3 : 18th January 2010 at 17:14.
Old 18th January 2010, 17:40   #711
Senior - BHPian

One more can be added. The link is http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...h-trouble.html
Old 18th January 2010, 17:44   #712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjoy3 View Post
Other day, service manager called up to fix an appointment and got his mechanic to my house to replace the combo switch (albeit after 6 weeks of waiting period) which I had though of a small pat, but turned out to be the huge part under the steering wheel which has the indicator/light etc.,

Vijay
Did you face any problems with this part? or the service manager himself did this ? (i.e. may be due to instructions from the manufacturer).

I think that this was the same part that had caused some fire/smoke in a couple of Nanos few months ago.
Old 18th January 2010, 17:50   #713
Distinguished - BHPian

90 Kms drive in a Manza Safire

Drove friend's Indigo Manza Safire Aqua in the city and in the highway (ECR). Would like to share
my views on the car.

I tried my best to remove all pre-notions on Tata cars before approaching the car. The car looks
huge, very huge esp from rear 3 quarter view.

1. Very spacious interiors and boot. Rear seats are extremely comfy.
    Excellent VFM at 5.3L On-road
  2. Thoughtful features like the under seat storage bin, rear 12V adapter
  3. Decent power; very drivable engine. Not a racer but definitely not underpowered for its intended use as a people mover from Point A to B in comfort.
  4. Good ride. Rides well over bumps and potholes.
Dislikes
  1. Engine is extremely noisy. Engine is audible inside the cabin even at 1500 RPMs. Forget about touching 3K revs.
  2. Puny Instrument console indicates that they might have moved it from the centre to the current position after bad reviews from Vista owners. The dials are so very small, bikes have bigger dials!
  3. Gear shift wasn't smooth. 2nd and 4th gear needed extra effort to be slotted.
  4. Door levers inside and the power window switches could be of better look and feel. They look cheap. Car is cheap, so don't expect it to look and feel rich is it?
Finally:
  1. The core values of a Tata car have been retained and strengthened in many areas.
  2. Nothing's lost, that says a lot! But there's still scope for improvement.
  3. Some plastics are crude and feel cheap.
  4. Drop the Indica/Indigo tag pls.
  5. End of the drive, a friend of mine commented - "All is fine but I feel like I travelled in a Indica". Now that's good and bad.
  6. HM may very well stop the Amby coz it has evolved for the 21st Century in the form of the Manza.

Last edited by kiku007 : 18th January 2010 at 17:51.
Old 18th January 2010, 17:50   #714
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsk View Post
Did you face any problems with this part? or the service manager himself did this ? (i.e. may be due to instructions from the manufacturer).

I think that this was the same part that had caused some fire/smoke in a couple of Nanos few months ago.
First week after purchase, had seen problem of horn blowing continuously which turned out to be couple of wires shorting. It was rectified by the by covering the cut portion of wire with cello tape, and they had promised to get a new combi(?) switch as replacement. During past 2-3 weeks had observed that right indicator was not turning off by itself. They said that it too might be due to the faulty combi switch & should go off after the replacement.
On asking, the mechanic who visited did say that this others too had reported similar issues with light/indicator etc., and they had according replaced the switch for them all.

Vijay

Last edited by vjoy3 : 18th January 2010 at 18:09.
Old 18th January 2010, 18:02   #715
BHPian

Vijay, thanks for the update. So, I think that we should consider this as the first niggle of the new launch.

Well, connecting the BT system to Nokia E51 can be ignored as technically this model is not part of the officially announced compatible phones (as read in this thread).

And, there is one more addition to the Manza family. My uncle has booked a Petrol Manza based on my suggestion which again was based on the excellent and detailed review by GTO.

Last edited by drsk : 18th January 2010 at 18:05.
Old 19th January 2010, 15:48   #716
BHPian

I am planning on booking a Manza, hopefully this week. A friend's colleague is also interested in booking one so I suggested we book it together. I have already test driven the Manza last month but this gentleman had not. We are both planning on booking the Aura+ Quadrajet.

I took him to the Autofin (Bowenpally) dealership last week for the test drive. During the test drive, he noticed that the turn signal stalk did not turn itself off after making a slight turn. I thought it was probably because it was not a "full" turn. Back at the showroom, we noticed mechanics fiddling with the steering wheel of a Monarch red Aura+ QJ. The owner was right there and he told us that he has issues with the turn signal stalk not turning off after a turn. Based on our experience and Vijay's inputs, we can safely assume this is one of the issues in the Manza. I'm hoping TATA will fix this when I get delivery.

We also noticed something which I wish to bring to the notice of all new car buyers. Its got to do with the unethical trend of car dealers disabling the speedometer in their TD vehicles. During the TD, I sat in the back and noticed that the FE portion of the DIS was showing 1.1 km/hr. When I pointed this out to the saleswoman she brought our attention to the fact that the speedo was disabled. I test drove the same car last month and everything was in order back then. I brought this issue to the attention of the Indigo brand manager at TATA. I'm not sure if anything will be done about it though. I have to admit I was thoroughly disappointed at this practice as I heard Autofin was one of the better dealerships in Hyderabad.
Old 19th January 2010, 18:34   #717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd5kvn View Post

I took him to the Autofin (Bowenpally) dealership last week for the test drive. During the test drive, he noticed that the turn signal stalk did not turn itself off after making a slight turn. I thought it was probably because it was not a "full" turn. Back at the showroom, we noticed mechanics fiddling with the steering wheel of a Monarch red Aura+ QJ. The owner was right there and he told us that he has issues with the turn signal stalk not turning off after a turn.
From Vijoy's experience this problem also looks because of the combi switch.
Am pasting his post below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjoy3 View Post
First week after purchase, had seen problem of horn blowing continuously which turned out to be couple of wires shorting. It was rectified by the by covering the cut portion of wire with cello tape, and they had promised to get a new combi(?) switch as replacement. During past 2-3 weeks had observed that right indicator was not turning off by itself. They said that it too might be due to the faulty combi switch & should go off after the replacement.
On asking, the mechanic who visited did say that this others too had reported similar issues with light/indicator etc., and they had according replaced the switch for them all.

Vijay

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd5kvn View Post
We also noticed something which I wish to bring to the notice of all new car buyers. Its got to do with the unethical trend of car dealers disabling the speedometer in their TD vehicles. During the TD, I sat in the back and noticed that the FE portion of the DIS was showing 1.1 km/hr. When I pointed this out to the saleswoman she brought our attention to the fact that the speedo was disabled. I test drove the same car last month and everything was in order back then. I brought this issue to the attention of the Indigo brand manager at TATA. I'm not sure if anything will be done about it though. I have to admit I was thoroughly disappointed at this practice as I heard Autofin was one of the better dealerships in Hyderabad.

This is one issue that has got to do with many dealers. About 3 years back when I test driving various cars I too observed this in Bangalore with more than 1 dealers. Back then I had not informed this to the manufacturer. I appreciate that you have taken the step to bring this to the notice of the manufacturer.
Old 19th January 2010, 18:41   #718

Thanks for the info Vijay. Is it possible for you to tell us the part number/complete description of this combi switch from the receipt you got. It would be nice if i can check this part before taking delivery - from what you say, it looks like a common problem and might be better to get it replaced right away so i can save a trip to the ***. Thanks.

Update from my side.

Visited the dealer( TAFE Access, Coimbatore ) again and asked them reg delivery schedule. Was told that it could be as early as middle of next week or a week later. ( booked 15 days ago ).

Also visited a Accessory store and got the following quote. Looking for some tips/advice here.. Appreciate all your help

- Premium "Real Leather" Seat covers = 25K
- Anti-rust Undercoat = 1850
- Rear sensors w/ Mirror indicator = 3200
- Camera + LCD + Rear sensors = 6500
- Sun Film - ranges from 1500 to 4000 ( depending on Quality, w/ 3M being the best )
- Teflon coat ( Dupont ) - 2800

Also, since this is my first car buying exp in India, what are the paperwork/docs ( i was told about form 20, 21,22 etc..) should i get at the Dealer while taking delivery.

thanks

Cheers
MSK
Old 19th January 2010, 22:11   #719
BHPian

- Premium "Real Leather" Seat covers = 25K
- Anti-rust Undercoat = 1850
- Rear sensors w/ Mirror indicator = 3200
- Camera + LCD + Rear sensors = 6500
- Sun Film - ranges from 1500 to 4000 ( depending on Quality, w/ 3M being the best )
- Teflon coat ( Dupont ) - 2800

Also, since this is my first car buying exp in India, what are the paperwork/docs ( i was told about form 20, 21,22 etc..) should i get at the Dealer while taking delivery.

thanks

Cheers
MSK[/quote]
Hey mate , why are you having a reverse parking sensors w mirror + camera with LCD with rear sensors again? I have highlighted them . Is this a typo AFAIK camera+ LCD is one package and rear/front sensors + mirror is a 2nd package. If thats not a typo make sure the dealer has given you the right info.
Old 20th January 2010, 07:15   #720

yes. You are correct. #3,4 are alternates so either one would do the basic job, though the Camera+ LCD option gives you a view of what is behind your bumpers as well . I am planning to go only for the bare sensors as i think the LCD display will clutter the dash.. ( plus i want to keep my GPS PND there as well )

Does the Leather seat cover price look OK? Sounds high to me.

Cheers
MSK

Most Viewed