Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2009, 14:15   #496
BHPian

The COROLLA brand is synonym for TAXI in many countries from ages and is still the favorite among operators. People didn’t stop buying it for personal use due to the TAXI image which is proving the versatility of the product line.
Some brands are there who purposely block their vehicles selling to TAXI market but I don’t think TATA can follow that way since they are eying a developing market rather than focusing a segment with boundaries.
Old 6th December 2009, 17:39   #497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
I thought JLR (J & LR) are catering to the niche market. But IMO high volumes are the strongest reason why any manufacturer(least of all TATA) would look to improve the service infrastructure like after sales service, customer support, roadside support, etc.
+1, and as far as I know, TATA is already selling in Europe. The Vista and Manza range will only increase these numbers because there will be less difference in quality wrt competitors, and a big difference in price. In my experience, everyone (except probably the superrich) does wish their car were cheaper, regardless of the brand.
Old 7th December 2009, 03:21   #498
BHPian

Manzas running as taxi is definitely not what i want to see. To the guys who say "Why not tata ,when a Toyota,a Benz or a Honda can run as a Taxi and still be considered a premium brand" , what you are not considering is the fact that all those brands have super luxuary cars in their international product lineup whose image totally overpowers one. When you see a Merc taxi you think " Lucky guy".
In case of Tata, Manza is the most advanced and costliest sedan they have in their lineup ( and plz dont start about Jag or Landrover ). And what image does that give you if the costliest sedan they have is considered an ideal "taxi". I am talking about the present. They might come with better and more advanced cars , but they have not, yet . And till they came into the private vehicle scene they used to make lorries and buses and that is the image one used to get before. We don't want that image replaced with a "taxi" vehicle image .
And to people who say "i don't care about image" , well i do and so do most indians . As a matter of fact almost everyone wants the best car(in Looks,Comfort,Safety,Mileage) that they can afford for a reason (image, status) and yes even people buying a Manza or a Dzire.
Its all a compromise between what you can afford( Buying as well as running cost) and what you want. Exception being the very small "Enthusiast" minority whose reason for buying a car might vary wildly .
Old 7th December 2009, 08:35   #499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by -NUT-case View Post
Manzas running as taxi is definitely not what i want to see. To the guys who say "Why not tata ,when a Toyota,a Benz or a Honda can run as a Taxi and still be considered a premium brand" , what you are not considering is the fact that all those brands have super luxuary cars in their international product lineup whose image totally overpowers one. When you see a Merc taxi you think " Lucky guy".
In case of Tata, Manza is the most advanced and costliest sedan they have in their lineup ( and plz dont start about Jag or Landrover ). And what image does that give you if the costliest sedan they have is considered an ideal "taxi". I am talking about the present. They might come with better and more advanced cars , but they have not, yet . And till they came into the private vehicle scene they used to make lorries and buses and that is the image one used to get before. We don't want that image replaced with a "taxi" vehicle image .
And to people who say "i don't care about image" , well i do and so do most indians . As a matter of fact almost everyone wants the best car(in Looks,Comfort,Safety,Mileage) that they can afford for a reason (image, status) and yes even people buying a Manza or a Dzire.
Its all a compromise between what you can afford( Buying as well as running cost) and what you want. Exception being the very small "Enthusiast" minority whose reason for buying a car might vary wildly .
Let's see what kind of cars end up as taxi.

1) The price preferably not be expensive
2) Needs more space so that more passengers could be accommodated.
3) A Big boot for the luggage
4) Preferably the engine should run atleast 2 lakh km and spares are available cheap and should be able to repair at a roadside mechanic

But IMO most of these characteristics are needed in a domestic car as well in the entry midsize sedans especially in the 5-7 lakhs segment. So, though these cars end up as cabs, if there is value then people will buy. May be a "few" will not buy due to the so called "taxi image" but others should buy as longs as there is value.
Old 7th December 2009, 12:33   #500
BHPian

Quote:

So, though these cars end up as cabs, if there is value then people will buy. May be a "few" will not buy due to the so called "taxi image" but others should buy as longs as there is value.
You are perfectly right. Im sure there's going to be a long queue for the Manza and i am going to be standing in one . But it doesnt take away the fact that a person settling for a Manza or a Dzire is compromising on the "looks" and "image" and settling for them because of the great value he or she is getting for the money they spend.

The subject being discussed was weather a "taxi" image will affect people's buying choices . And we are not talking about someone who is getting it as a second utilitarian vehicle but as their primary vehicle. Would a person who has say 10 lakhs to spend on a car settle for the Manza, because of what it offers and not go in for a Honda or a Ford ? Would the "taxi" tag affect them ? Now that is what we are talking about.
Old 7th December 2009, 17:26   #501
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajaharshad View Post
Which of the two car would you suggest for self driving for 2.5k kms in the highway a month and 500 kms in city traffic.
Honestly, since most of your driving is on the highway, why not buy a Fiat? The Punto & Linea have superb highway manners & safety standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post
Do you really think that 99.99% of the people buying cars dont bother about safety options in the car they are going to drive. Thats shocking and we need to get out priorities right.
Hey, my comment was directed more toward the "fun to drive" perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgyan View Post
I noticed that the clutch in Manza is cable operated!
Isn't this a step backward? Unless of course that cable actuates a hydraulic piston somewhere but i didn't find anything like that.

Your comments?
Please elaborate. Why would this be a step backward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
A great professional style review GTO. Always look forward to your style of reporting, covered all aspects.
Thanks, Gogi.

Quote:
I remember test driving the Indigo when it was introduced. The gearbox was something i hated. The shifts and everything about it. This new transplant should change all that.
I do own the previous gen Indigo TDi, and using the gear lever is akin to moving a stick through a cement mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourWheelDrift View Post
So, manza means a "young cow, cow that has not had a calf" !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignazio View Post
I can add that sometime "manza" is used to badly indicate a young provocative woman... Not very politely
Old 7th December 2009, 20:41   #502
BHPian

Quote:
The subject being discussed was weather a "taxi" image will affect people's buying choices . And we are not talking about someone who is getting it as a second utilitarian vehicle but as their primary vehicle. Would a person who has say 10 lakhs to spend on a car settle for the Manza, because of what it offers and not go in for a Honda or a Ford ? Would the "taxi" tag affect them ? Now that is what we are talking about.
IMO most manza buyers would be those

1) who have say 5-7 lakhs
2) who want to buy a bigger car like Honda City or similar but could not afford
3) who need more space and comfortable ride
4) who is willing to compromise may be a little bit on looks (which they might be already willing to compromise on provided they would also be considering Dzire and Honda City)
5) who are willing to save a few bucks (read lakhs)
6) who is not exactly a driving enthusiast
7) who like to buy new cars for cabs - hahaha pun intended

So, if someone can afford 10 lakhs, I am not sure manza would be very attractive to them. May be manza would still be appealing with regards to the VFM factor. But TATA is not really targeting the 10 lakh segment with manza and it is really unfair to criticize manza for not luring the 10 lakh customer. Give TATA a couple more years and they might very well make prima sedan concept a reality for the higher end sedan segment.

Last edited by gshanky : 7th December 2009 at 20:42.
Old 7th December 2009, 21:03   #503

Hello all,
(online after quite a while!)
I need some advice. I am told 'parking sensors' are highly recommended as an accessory on the Manza, since its a big car, and it'd be preferable to have a warning system at the time of parking. What do the experts recommend?
Old 8th December 2009, 13:09   #504
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumujumdar View Post
Hello all,
(online after quite a while!)
I need some advice. I am told 'parking sensors' are highly recommended as an accessory on the Manza, since its a big car, and it'd be preferable to have a warning system at the time of parking. What do the experts recommend?
The need for parking sensors is highly subjective. I've seen them installed even in Santros, but I myself don't use it when parking an S Class. Drive it yourself. If you see the need, have them fitted.
Old 8th December 2009, 20:41   #505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The need for parking sensors is highly subjective. I've seen them installed even in Santros, but I myself don't use it when parking an S Class. Drive it yourself. If you see the need, have them fitted.
Yeah I find it funny why people get those sensors installed on santros/ Astars and other small cars. In my opinion if you find squeezing these puny cars in parking gaps a task next to impossible without the assistance of those sensors you need to practice a bit.

But parking that huge S-class without those sensors/RV camera is commendable.
Old 8th December 2009, 21:47   #506
Senior - BHPian

Anyone know the total booking of Manza?
Saw one black Manza last week, front looks good but the rear looks odd when I saw it on the road.

Someone above mentioned Manza means young provocative woman?? So we can expect a new TATA MAMI soon:-))))
Old 8th December 2009, 22:28   #507
BHPian

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang is STRICTLY prohibited on this community. We would much appreciate your using full & proper english in posts, for the benefit of other forum users.

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 9th December 2009 at 11:25.
don_carmaster is offline   Received Infraction
Old 8th December 2009, 23:06   #508
Senior - BHPian

Hi Members.
The brands and taxis became an issue in this thread. I saw a Toyota Corolla with Yellow Board in Chennai. Now a days the corporates want taxi of their choice not of the brand. The companies does not higher a private number cars. In that case there is no harm in making any car as a Taxi as far as they gives a good return.
Old 8th December 2009, 23:16   #509
BHPian

Quote:
IMO most manza buyers would be those

2) who want to buy a bigger car like Honda City or similar but could not afford
4) who is willing to compromise may be a little bit on looks (which they might be already willing to compromise on provided they would also be considering Dzire and Honda City)
5) who are willing to save a few bucks (read lakhs)
6) who is not exactly a driving enthusiast

So, if someone can afford 10 lakhs, I am not sure manza would be very attractive to them.
2) - How is honda city bigger ? Manza is bigger in every way
4) - So the city also is not the height of good looks
6) - City as we all know is underpowered and not exactly a "fun to drive" car

So why is the city considered a more attractive option as compared to the Manza ,even when you have to pay anywhere between 3 to 5 lakhs extra for it.
Is the city overpriced for what it offers?
If tata had priced the manza say 3 lakhs costlier would it become a higher end sedan and not entry level ? So are we going with idea " costlier must equal to better" blindly.
What is it that makes city a better buy and so succesful ? Image ? Brand value ? Snob value ?
Old 8th December 2009, 23:58   #510
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
City as we all know is underpowered and not exactly a "fun to drive" car
Almost everyone here will disagree with you here, The ANHC is the most powerful car in its class and is more fun to drive than most others, Atleast more than Manza.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks