Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2014, 23:01   #6376
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

'H' denotes that the car has clocked less than 200 kms since it rolled off the assembly line.

If it is a new car, yes it should be there unless someone has inadvertently pressed the reset button on the stalk and made the H disappear before the 200 kms were clocked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekE View Post
2. Can someone please throw light on the 'H' symbol? Should it be present when I do the PDI tomorrow?
Old 20th June 2014, 23:28   #6377
BHPian

@desdemona

No absolutely not, it was completely my decision to go with them.

I was very impressed with their pre sales service when they drove well over 40 kms to my place for a test drive not once but twice. But things went spiraling down after I paid them the full amount.

I was assured delivery within two weeks max and today, after almost 4 weeks after paying the full amount, I was informed that the 90HP Diesel White colour was no longer in production. This after repeated assurances 2 weeks ago that my car was undergoing PDI at their plant, that it was in its final stages etc.

I'm not completely sure if the dealer is at fault or Fiat Pune, but either ways its been very disappointing.

@khoj

Thank you, I'll make sure the 'H' is present tomorrow before deciding.
Old 26th June 2014, 16:15   #6378

Hey guys

I own a 3.5 year old Fiat Punto 1.4 E Pack. Quite recently I have started facing a problem. There is a squeaking noise when i start the car. It persists as I drive the car. It dies down when I press the clutch to change the gear. It comes back once the clutch is de-pressed. Once the car gets into motion, and runs for a while, the noise eventually decreases - but never dies down completely.

I think this started about a couple of months back when I had to change the battery after it went flat. Fiat Service changed the battery. Few days post that, this noise started. I took back the car to the service station and they told me it's a problem with the Alternator and would need to be replaced - would cost around 17k. As such, they told me, it won't be an issue to continue with this alternator, only that the noise will always be there.

To me it felt a bit strange. It feels to be a noise coming from a belt due to wearing out of bearings. But I don't have sufficient knowledge on this. I don't think the alternator should die down in 3.5 years with just 31k on the odo.

Need opinions from folks here on what could the issue possibly be ...
1. Could it really be an issue with the alternator that requires replacement ? If so, what should the cost of the alternator be ? I read somewhere that an alternator for an i10 cost about Rs. 7k couple of years back. So 17k sounds exorbitant.
2. Could it be an issue with the alternator but something that could be repaired either by the service station or from a local garage ? If so, then is it recommended to get the repair done from the local garage ?
3. Could it be something very simple such as a belt or a bearing replacement that could be done by the local garage ? Is this recommended ?
4. Anything else ...

Any opinions/suggestions/recommendations would be most welcome

Regards
Suresh
Old 1st July 2014, 22:30   #6379
tud
BHPian

Hello Fiat ians,

My Nov 2011 Punto's battery passed away. It was a Exide 12v 50Ah.

I want to go for an Amaron after reading the reviews here. The confusion is the Ah!
Amaron has 45, 55 and 60Ah.
Service centre says, go for 55Ah
Amaron guy says, go for 60Ah
Punto's manual says, up to 60Ah is permissible.

Any first hand experience on the two will immensely help.

Regards,
Dinesh
Old 2nd July 2014, 00:06   #6380
Senior - BHPian

Well if the manual says 60 Ah and it fits into the battery tray without any modifications, go for it otherwise go for the same rating as the original battery. Practically anything from the OE size to the maximum allowable size is ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tud View Post
Hello Fiat ians,

My Nov 2011 Punto's battery passed away. It was a Exide 12v 50Ah.

I want to go for an Amaron after reading the reviews here. The confusion is the Ah!
Amaron has 45, 55 and 60Ah.
Service centre says, go for 55Ah
Amaron guy says, go for 60Ah
Punto's manual says, up to 60Ah is permissible.

Any first hand experience on the two will immensely help.

Regards,
Dinesh
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 11:16   #6381
tud
BHPian

Thank you. I got a 60Ah Amaron Flo for Rs 5ooo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Well if the manual says 60 Ah and it fits into the battery tray without any modifications, go for it otherwise go for the same rating as the original battery. Practically anything from the OE size to the maximum allowable size is ok.
Old 6th July 2014, 14:08   #6382
BHPian

Got a few items changed for my 2012 Punto 1.2 yesterday:

1) The set of spark plugs: the manual says 30k kms or 2 years whichever is earlier. 2 years got over in February, and while arranging old papers, I discovered the ASS had conveniently forgotten to replace the plugs. I took it again, to Oberoi, the SA, Vinit says, 400 for 4 plugs and 450 for labour! I reasoned with him, that it was missed as a part of the service, and he argues "only checking is included, replacement is chargeable" . He was the same guy who had missed it in the first place! As many others would agree, he is the most incompetent at Oberoi Motors, lethargic, poor knowledge and scores low on integrity!

Another idiotic attempt at a "quick one", so I had to ask the Manager, Gulab ji to intervene. As is logical, the labour is waved off. The old plugs had no or very little sign of wear. It still has life in it, having served for 21000 odd kms.

Then, I had to replace the rear wiper blade: Mind you, just the rubber has worn off. The rest of the assembly is JUST FINE. I am told, the blade is not sold as it is, but the entire assembly has to be purchased and on top of that, labour would be applicable. I just paid 690 and bought the wiper assembly. I would rather do it myself! The price last year was 370/- odd!

Now, at Kashyap Fiat, rates for common jobs are displayed publicly at the reception area, which is missing at Oberoi. The published rate for labour is 350/- per hour. The change of plugs took about 20 minutes end to end. I mentioned about the other rates elsewhere in this forum. I still have a feeling, unsuspecting customers are being taken for a ride at tier 2 dealerships, as far as labour rates are concerned.

I posted on their FB page, let's see how they respond!

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 6th July 2014 at 14:32.
Old 6th July 2014, 16:29   #6383
Senior - BHPian

Guys,my Punto is just short of 2 years and has clocked 44 k Kms. For the last one week I get a Airbag failure message when I start the car. This is intermittent and does not happen every time I start the car. However no lights on the speedo console stays on. Is this a airbag issue or is it a battery issue? I have heard that when the battery is weak on the Punto it starts to give various error messages. I have checked the battery and the crank is at 9 volts instead of 10 volts. Anyone experiencing such error messages?

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 6th July 2014, 20:01   #6384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
For the last one week I get a Airbag failure message when I start the car. This is intermittent

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Tell tale, weak battery sign! You can find many such reports in this forum and other FIAT specific forums. Just get the battery checked. Better still, test with a good battery and then decide.

My personal observation: the water level of the battery is almost never topped up at the ASS. Go to a local battery-bhaiyya, get the cells topped up to suitable levels with distilled water and get the battery charged, from the shop. It works.
Old 7th July 2014, 14:14   #6385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Then, I had to replace the rear wiper blade: Mind you, just the rubber has worn off. The rest of the assembly is JUST FINE. I am told, the blade is not sold as it is, but the entire assembly has to be purchased and on top of that, labour would be applicable. I just paid 690 and bought the wiper assembly. I would rather do it myself! The price last year was 370/- odd!
A workaround is to get a Hella wiper blade of the same length, costing around Rs.120, and fix it on the OE arms of Punto. It works well. I have done that about two years back and it has not fallen off till date.

Total expenses: Rs.120+ half an hour max to fix it properly.
igniteddriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 19:02   #6386
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-img_20140717_184315.jpg

pair of stickers gifted from a friend, directly from italy (Fiat ricambi originali). To be placed under my car's rear doors soon.
sidindica is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 12:26   #6387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Attachment 1262889

pair of stickers gifted from a friend, directly from italy (Fiat ricambi originali). To be placed under my car's rear doors soon.
My tire bears a similar one.
its is a Vredestein Sportrac 5

Cheers!
Old 20th July 2014, 19:16   #6388
BHPian

Here is the FE that I got in my punto 1.4 for a 31 kms drive from Chicalim to Panaji keeping rpm around 2000 and speed between 55-80kmph.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-p_20140720_152920.jpg  

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-p_20140720_152951.jpg  

Old 20th July 2014, 22:56   #6389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsk2009 View Post
Here is the FE that I got in my punto 1.4 for a 31 kms drive from Chicalim to Panaji keeping rpm around 2000 and speed between 55-80kmph.
That's good to know.. However I feel that's not a real measure.. any diesel car driven sedately these days gives that kind of fuel economy...
Old 21st July 2014, 09:12   #6390
vdi
BHPian

Haven't read anything on this in the forum

http://www.zigwheels.com/gallery/sli...allery/19167/1

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks