Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2009, 16:22   #616
BHPian

Yes, Hyundai priced it higher than expected. Now its 90%punto and 10% i20 for me.

Td is still pending, so i shall decide after that
Old 7th July 2009, 16:33   #617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
i20 new models prices are out. Clearly Gunto is VFM..
oops.. I actually meant Grande Punto (Gunto)
Old 7th July 2009, 16:41   #618
BHPian

I have a question for the experts -
Why do all Fiat cars have a large turning radius?
Someone from Fiat once told me that it had to do something with high speed stability. Is it true?
Old 7th July 2009, 16:51   #619
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrack View Post
Someone from Fiat once told me that it had to do something with high speed stability. Is it true?
Unlikely! No one takes U-Turns at high speeds.
Old 7th July 2009, 16:59   #620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a question for the experts -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson View Post
Unlikely! No one takes U-Turns at high speeds.
I do not think they meant that the turning radius is large to prevent U turns at high speed, I think the geometry which is set up for high speed stability prevents the wheels from turning too much (space in the wheel wells might be a problem too).

Cheers,
Old 7th July 2009, 17:28   #621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'd like to know the answer to that too. The large turning radius is pretty odd specially considering the fact that Italian roads are probably more narrow then the ones in India.

If GM or Ford had a wide turning radius, I'd understand why but an Italian company?

Quote:
In that case, Ferrari's, Porsche's, BMW's should have a wide turning radius too.
Old 7th July 2009, 18:20   #622
ashwinpak

Some answers here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...adius-why.html
and here:
What is a Turning Radius?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
I'd like to know the answer to that too. The large turning radius is pretty odd specially considering the fact that Italian roads are probably more narrow then the ones in India.

If GM or Ford had a wide turning radius, I'd understand why but an Italian company?

In that case, Ferrari's, Porsche's, BMW's should have a wide turning radius too.

Old 7th July 2009, 20:33   #623
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
Hmmm. Would be very interesting to see the sales charts of i20 CRDi, if they price it some 50K lower than MJD Linea.
No, does that mean a pricing to be 8 L-8.5 L OTR for 1.4 i20 CRDi ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
This is the most likely scenario which Hyundai must avoid.
Price gap between Punto E+ & Linea E+ is around 1-1.25 L if I remember correctly. Now, if i20 CRDI were to be at 50K premium, the difference between it & Linea E+ would be 50K-70K. Indian market has snob value for Sedan.
This scenario is not unlikely considering how high Hyundai priced 1.2 L Petrol i20. So, you can consider how much more i20 1.4 CRDi would be priced over i20 1.2L Petrol

1 day to go. let's see
As expected (atleast I expected it), the pricing of i20 CRDI went the way Hyundai priced i20 1.2 petrol earlier.
It seems the top-end i20 CRDI is priced at an OTR of almost 8 lac touching. Very interesting to see how market accepts it & which other cars it'll be pitted against as far as pricing is concerned.
At those price levels i20 CRDi would in all probabilities compete with Honda Jazz only. Honda can probably see thro' Jazz selling decent numbers by sheer brand loyalty. How Hyundai will do it is what remains to be seen.

In fact, I would think it might turn out to be a blunder by Hyundai. Because of Jazz pricing, i20 1.2 petrol suddenly seems VFM & started selling in good no.s Now with i20 CRDI coming at these prices, that VFM factor of i20 petrol would be gone. i20 might end up competing with Jazz only & not GP. in fact, this makes GP VFM factor much stronger now.
Old 8th July 2009, 00:57   #624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

True Amit, my Skoda turns in a place that my GTX cannot. But the angles of the wheels (caster, toe, camber etc) are totally different. Perhaps, the angles at which the Fiat's wheels are set prevent a greater turning angle? The wheel wells of all the cars you mentioned are huge compared to the narrow ones on the Fiats, this might have thrown in some design constraints as greater turning ability might cause scraping.

Cheers,
Old 8th July 2009, 16:29   #625
Senior - BHPian

Does Punto has lumbar support?
I dont remember if it was there when i TD it a week back.
Old 9th July 2009, 05:48   #626
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, BMW has a wide turning radius in comparison to Mercedes. However, there are no complaints about mercs not being stable so I guess that could be ruled out?
Could it be to accomodate wider tyres?
Old 9th July 2009, 09:38   #627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does Punto has lumbar support?
Nope. The seats are stiff pretty much to my dislike. I had similar seats when i testdrove my linea, but now i am used to it rather.......
Old 9th July 2009, 10:36   #628
BHPian

After a long wait had my test drive of Punto. The first thing i feel good about is the Handling. It is truly european handling well tuned suspensions and a matched chassis stiffness give it the best in class handling. For Indian roads i will still say the suspensions are on the stiffer side but still better than swift. The Ergonomics of the driver are set a bit differently to traditional japaneese or indian cars, again typically european. Seats Lower, Deeper Pedals and steering i should say is a bit far to my liking (i am 5'11'). It is very comfortable for the highways but people buying this as their first car will find it difficult to drive in the city. Engine, well I am no expert at acessing engines, but the turbo lag is not at all noticed this some a like some may not. The acceleration is good and very linear. Lastly Space is good for front seats and average for the rear seats, i have noticed people comparing rear leg room with vista but let me tell you the head room at the rear in vista is very bad. worse even compared to standard indica.
Old 9th July 2009, 16:08   #629
Senior - BHPian

Got a brief dekhho of a Red Emotion Pack. Drove it up and down the first Rajarhat stretch.

# Overall. Verrrrry nice car
# Took a while to get a suitable driving position. Seat set at low height seemed a bit too low for me. So had to raise it.
# Contoured steering feels lovely to hold, but feels a bit disconnected - although it's hydraulic, right?
# Horn easily accessible
# Boot space pretty decent. 12" sub no problemo !
# Parcel tray feel cheap
# Rear seat. My knees got stuck with the passenger seat pushed fully back. But then, just like the Linea, you wouldn't really need to push it back that much.
# Rear has 2 expandable headrests. Under thigh support a tad less. Doors open wide to allow easy entry. Good car for elderly people.
# Ride is firm yet lovely
# Body roll not too much for my kind of driving
# Turbo lag / kick-in not as prominent as Swift. Pretty linear.
# 100-120 comes up pretty quickly. Seemed to take a bit longer than the Swift to 140. Or maybe there wasn't enough of clear road.
# Gear shift not very much to my liking. Seemed a bit vague. Not slotting in intuitively. Or mebbe one needs to get used to it.
# Verrrry poised at low and high speed
# Brakes are fantastic. Tyres squeal when standing on the brake. But it stops dead straight and with confidence. I was holding the steering a bit loosely and hence mebbe due to ABS and a loosely held steering it twitched a bit. In compare, the Baleno brakes don't have this amount of bite, but the F1s stop with no noise. Both tyres being 195.
# Didn't test with AC on.
# Engine noise is acceptable.
# Lovely car for cruising.
# Will drive the petrol car too someday
# Plastics seemed to be ok for the price
# Component speaker positions both in the front and rear doors. Did not test the OEM ICE.
# Perfect car for - city use, chauffeur driven or self, parents, fuel economy, highway cruises, looks, price, ICE

OTR Prices in cal (incl 5K for 2yrs extended warranty)
Diesel
Active - 5.47
Dynamic - 5.79
Emotion - 6.20
Emotion+ - 6.78

Petrol
Active - 4.58
Dynamic - 5.27
Emotion - 5.69
Emotion+ - 6.26
Old 9th July 2009, 16:19   #630
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
The seats are stiff pretty much to my dislike. I had similar seats when i testdrove my linea, but now i am used to it rather.......
Soft seats feel better for short distances, but firm compound seats (most European cars) are far better over long distances. Similar to that good ol' story on soft versus hard mattress for a good nights sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Got a brief dekhho of a Red Emotion Pack. Drove it up and down the first Rajarhat stretch.
Spot on with the review. You planning to bite?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks