Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2013, 16:49   #5881
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
White smoke should ring some warning bells. It should be checked immediately. Are the oil levels normal? Ask them to check the oil pump as well. I forgot yours is a diesel vehicle and listed something else. Was the car driven in the rains? Ask them to do a compression test also since white smoke will be observed if the engine has low compression.
He checked with the OBD reader, and it showed that the engine was hale and hearty. He did mutter that the engine level appeared low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Boss: Turbos do not blow easily - The SA has no clue how to check / rectify issues:

Please go inside the workshop when they connect the OBD, ask them to run all tests - It would pin point the actual point of concern and give you a printout as well.

Ofcourse, all this is possible if the service technician understands how to use the OBD scan tool.

Please check engine compression values.
I usually sit with the guy throughout the work. I was there when he used the OBD reader as well.

Now my office days doesn't give me time to head there, and the workshop is closed on sundays as well. I hope to take an off to go there next week, and sit with him through out to find what could be the issue. I suspect the lube pump - not sure.
Old 21st June 2013, 10:09   #5882
BHPian

Hello,
My father owns a Fiat punto petrol, run about 30k kms. Off late, there are some issues we cannot seem to get our head around and need your inputs.
1. Whenever we turn the ignition on, we get an "airbag failure" message.
2. Car starts and runs with no problems for the most part. At times, it switches off while running and throws an "engine with a lock" icon on the display. Then refuses to start for about 5 minutes, after which it starts again and runs like nothing happened. This recurs every 50 - 100 odd kms or maybe every once in 3-4 days.

What could be the issue? Are these two inter connected? The Service centre guys say it could be the battery. However, I disagree it could be the bat since everything else runs absolutely fine. Yes we could change the bat but I doubt it will solve our issue here. Anyone else faced these issues? Thoughts?

Thanks!
Kapil
Old 21st June 2013, 10:13   #5883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
Hello,
My father owns a Fiat punto petrol, run about 30k kms. Off late, there are some issues we cannot seem to get our head around and need your inputs.
2. Car starts and runs with no problems for the most part. At times, it switches off while running and throws an "engine with a lock" icon on the display. Then refuses to start for about 5 minutes, after which it starts again and runs like nothing happened. This recurs every 50 - 100 odd kms or maybe every once in 3-4 days.

What could be the issue? Are these two inter connected? The Service centre guys say it could be the battery. However, I disagree it could be the bat since everything else runs absolutely fine. Yes we could change the bat but I doubt it will solve our issue here. Anyone else faced these issues? Thoughts?

Thanks!
Kapil
It IS the battery. Fiat has this unique feature of checking battery threshold voltage and raises such alarms if below specification.
headers is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st June 2013, 10:15   #5884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
It IS the battery. Fiat has this unique feature of checking battery threshold voltage and raises such alarms if below specification.
Thanks headers.
Both issues inter related? Air bag failure yes. The second issue too?
Old 21st June 2013, 10:25   #5885
Senior - BHPian

Yes..replace battery then all issues go away..
headers is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2013, 10:38   #5886
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks!
Kapil
The first issue is definitely one related to the battery. Change the battery and the problem will disappear. This error message used to show on my car on and off for the good part of a year. But when it started to become a daily affair, I decided on changing the battery.

The second issue could also be the battery, but I am not be sure. The "engine with a lock" is actually a sign for the engine immobiliser getting activated and the engine shutting off. In the year or so the "airbag failure" warning kept popping, I never had this issue.
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2013, 11:10   #5887
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have the same "Airbag Failure" message in my car now and the FIAT ASC mentioned that it is due to the battery. They checked the battery and confirmed that it has become weak.

The SA also mentioned that as it gets weaker, I might get the "engine with a lock" warning as well. He also mentioned that if I stop the car (and switch off) for a few minutes after a fairly long run, the car might also refuse to start till the battery cools down a bit. So I guess all your issues are related to the battery.

However, if your car switches off by itself while running, it might be better to get that checked separately.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2013, 11:42   #5888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
However, if your car switches off by itself while running, it might be better to get that checked separately.

The sources of the lock sign, "airbag failure", "ABS failure -do not proceed!" and (in my case) a blinking odometer are all the same. The moment I changed the battery all these gremlins disappeared for good.

However, I've not experienced the above-said issue. I guess it too could be related to the battery; perhaps the ECU is not getting the correct/number of inputs and as a precaution it is turning the engine off ? My advise is to change the battery and then put your GP under "observation" rather than troubleshooting. Let us hope this gremlin too would go away with the battery swap.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 21st June 2013 at 11:47.
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2013, 11:50   #5889
BHPian

Cheers Guys!
Thanks for the responses! I will report back once we change the bat.
Old 21st June 2013, 16:31   #5890
BHPian

Quote:
Cheers Guys!
Thanks for the responses! I will report back once we change the bat.
I am sure you will get rid of the problem after installing a new battery. My friend too had exactly the same issue on his punto 1.2. Its perfectly alright after replacing battery.
Arkesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 09:43   #5891
BANNED

Dear Friends,
I just got my Punto (BNW) delivered with 45Kms on the Odo. In the last two days I’ve covered 200kms. The Average Consumption indicator started at 11.5 and gradually went down to 6.5 then came back to 8.5. Now it’s hovering around 7 km/L. This is in Coimbatore and a heavily crowed town. Please share your expert views & advise

Regards
Old 24th June 2013, 09:46   #5892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadeep View Post
Dear Friends,
I just got my Punto (BNW) delivered with 45Kms on the Odo. In the last two days I’ve covered 200kms. The Average Consumption indicator started at 11.5 and gradually went down to 6.5 then came back to 8.5. Now it’s hovering around 7 km/L. This is in Coimbatore and a heavily crowed town. Please share your expert views & advise

Regards
First of all, are you sure the MID is showing FE in km/l and not litres/100km? You can change the setting via MID.
Old 24th June 2013, 10:06   #5893
BANNED

Thanks for quick response. It says 7.5 l/100. Pl help to understand and change this to km/lit
Old 24th June 2013, 10:56   #5894
Senior - BHPian

@Siva: You can change the settings of MID to show KM/L instead of L/100 KM. Please take the help of the user manual - I do not remember the steps now, but it is fairly simple and straightforward. You have to cycle through the settings (clock, speed limit warning, buzer leavel etc).

7.5L/100 translates to 13.33, which I think is ok for bumper to bumper city traffic.
Old 24th June 2013, 11:00   #5895
BANNED

Great sir, I'll change. Thanks for the clarification

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks