Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2013, 18:44   #5761
Team-BHP Support

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
Is the Fiat Punto Abarth coming anytime soon? Asking here as mobike had mentioned about it coming in future in his polo 1.2 GT review. If yes then by what time and at around what price range. Thanks.
Yes. Abarth will be launched in 2013. The version spotted was the CBU esseesse, but personally, I believe its going to the same Punto with the T-Jet engine tuned for a lot more power (I hear 150ps is easily acheivable, though 180ps in the esseesse version should require petrol with higher octane rating), with suspension and looks to match. No point in bringing it through the import channel.

Prices can only be guessed now. No solid confirmations.

Also - point to note - CEO had mentioned that the Abarth experience wont be diluted for the Indian market. Remains to be seen how truthful his words will turn out to be!

http://www.team-bhp.com/news/fiat-pu...ped-coimbatore
Old 8th May 2013, 19:34   #5762
BHPian

My brake pads are almost 20 k old. Can anyone please tell me if its time to change since i am going to drive down to and fro chennai. Attached is the pic of the front LHS brake pad .

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-wp_000086.jpg
Old 8th May 2013, 19:38   #5763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Why? I find the OE HL pretty good and the fog lamps help whatever is left in the dark too.

Infact an aux light will only be additional electrical load on the litte big car!

EDIT: Just saw your cars pictures - You could have tried the OE fog lamps available in the top end models..

Nevertheless, a Punto is always appreciated
Thank you

My OE HL is already upgraded with Osram NB+, I did not want to go via the 100W upgrade route because it will be too much for city drives. I have tried OE fog lights (On my friend's car) but the throw was not sufficient for me.

With this set up, I can see the roads even when oncoming traffic do not dim their headlights. I know this will be an additional burden on the electrical, so I am limiting the use to absolute necessary circumstances.
theexperthand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 19:51   #5764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbertramps View Post
My brake pads are almost 20 k old. Can anyone please tell me if its time to change since i am going to drive down to and fro chennai. Attached is the pic of the front LHS brake pad .

Attachment 1081970

It will last for another 10,000 kms . I have changed my pads ( same specs on Fiat 'Adventure' ) only on 40000 kms , when there was life for another 10k .
Old 8th May 2013, 19:55   #5765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swathyd View Post
It will last for another 10,000 kms . I have changed my pads ( same specs on Fiat 'Adventure' ) only on 40000 kms , when there was life for another 10k .

Thanks a ton for the response. I was a bit worried since at the 45k service, the service advisor told me the pads would last another 3k. The car is running at 49k+ and its the second brake pad with the original changed at 30k. Lot of highway trips though. I was also worried on the circular lines of the rotor disc.

Last edited by Rubbertramps : 8th May 2013 at 19:56. Reason: To give precise information
Old 8th May 2013, 21:39   #5766
BHPian

Test drove the Punto Emotion today (FGT). Right now it's between the Punto and the Figo.

Here are my impressions. I will try to observe things relative to Figo:

1. Striking looks and paint job. Really looks premium.
2. As good as Figo's build quality is, Punto's build quality feels a notch higher.
3. Fit/Finish and plastic quality were good. I think they've certainly fixed this issue. Plastic quality looks better than the one in Figo.
4. Cabin doesn't feel as large and airy compared to Figo (glass area probably does the trick). But i was able to find a good position quickly. I'd have loved to have reach adjustment.
5. Gear shift quality is average in comparison to Figo which is brilliant.
6. From the little driving i've done in both vehicles, there's not much to separate the steerings. Perhaps someone who's driven both in different conditions can comment. Even if there's a little difference, both are good enough.
7. Ride is clearly superior in the Punto even though Figo isn't too shabby either. Drove the car in some really bad broken tarmac and the suspension stood out.
8. Handling again looks pretty similar at low speeds. I still have a more fond remembrance of chucking the Figo around. I don't know if there's a huge difference at higher speeds.
9. Punto's drivability is pretty good (2012 model change i suppose) except the really short 1st gear. Figo is anyway known for drivability.
10.The multijet feels more refined (especially in the Punto compared to the Swift which was noisy) compared to duratorq 1.4. Got into an empty stretch and gunned the engine. Felt nice
11. I haven't driven both vehicles on the highway but i expect Punto to be better on the highway but the question is how much better? Also since my driving will be mainly in the city, how much should it matter?
12. NVH levels are very good on both vehicles (facelift fix in Figo).
13. Legroom in the back definitely feels cramped compared to the Figo. Can long term Punto owners comment on the backseat comfort on long journeys? This is really important to me and a TD doesn't really give you the correct picture.
14. A lot more bells and whistles in the Punto (ACC,Blue & Me,much better MID,dead pedal,adjustable headrests at the back,15" alloys,wider rubber). Some irritants like no Aux (!), USB cable in the glovebox (!!), really small cubby holes. Steering mounted controls are nice, although controls on the column (Figo) are actually not as bad as one might think.
15. Punto's boot capacity is very similar to Figo's on paper but Figo's boot somehow looks more voluminous. The tire wells are the reason perhaps?

I came way with a very good impression from both TDs and i have to say Punto edges it but the cramped back seat worries me. Also the Figo felt much more fun to drive in the city with its top notch shifting and chuckability (haha). For a lakh more, Punto gives me:

1. Confidence inspiring build quality. Figo's build quality is good, but its an older design and Punto's crash worthiness is proven. Is this a fair observation?

2. Much more power on the highway and very good ride quality. More features.

3. And as much as the pragmatic side of me hates to admit it, more contemporary and premium feel.

For a lakh lesser, Figo gives me:

1. Superb handling, decent ride, most essential features.

2. Much more room in the back.

3. A bit more fun factor in the city.

4. Perhaps a little cheaper to maintain?

As good as Punto is, what a phenomenal VFM package Figo really is!

I've rambled on, so I'm going to sleep on it and try to rethink the whole conundrum later. I'd love to hear more qualified comments on my observations from long term owners especially if you have driven the Figo as well. Any other comments are obviously welcome. Also if anyone has negotiated for a Punto recently let me know what you've been quoted.
Flying Djinn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 22:03   #5767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbertramps View Post
Thanks a ton for the response. I was a bit worried since at the 45k service, the service advisor told me the pads would last another 3k. The car is running at 49k+ and its the second brake pad with the original changed at 30k. Lot of highway trips though. I was also worried on the circular lines of the rotor disc.
The SA morons have no clue on how to change these, when etc.

They conned me @ 30K service to change the OE brake pads..Now car has clocked 73K and the second set has lasted 43 and still going strong

Get a second opinion if possible.
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 00:11   #5768
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
My OE HL is already upgraded with Osram NB+, I did not want to go via the 100W upgrade route because it will be too much for city drives.

I know this will be an additional burden on the electrical, so I am limiting the use to absolute necessary circumstances.
Is the beam from Osram NB+ white or yellow? How is the visibility in the rains? Can you see through the drops?

And why do you think it will be an additional burden on the circuit? Isn't NB+ the same wattage?

Sorry for the back to back questions. I pondering about NB+.
Old 9th May 2013, 11:03   #5769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Is the beam from Osram NB+ white or yellow? How is the visibility in the rains? Can you see through the drops?

And why do you think it will be an additional burden on the circuit? Isn't NB+ the same wattage?

Sorry for the back to back questions. I pondering about NB+.
@deepak: NB+ is whiter than the normal light, but not pure white. The visibility is good in rains - have done couple of early morning \ night highway drives in pouring rains and I did not feel any handicap compared to OE headlight bulbs.
If you have OE Fog lights, you do not need to worry about the visibility in rain at all - Though NB+ is effective in rains, NB+ plus the OE Fog lights are much more effective (This observation is from my Vista which had NB+ + OE Fog lights.)

About the additional burden, I was not talking about NB+ - I was talking about the aux driving lights I put. What I was trying to tell is, running OE Headlights plus Aux lights (Four 55W bulbs) will be an additional burden when compared to running just the OE headlights. Sorry for not being clear
Old 9th May 2013, 11:50   #5770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Djinn View Post
Test drove the Punto Emotion today (FGT). Right now it's between the Punto and the Figo.

Hi, I am not quoting you entire post but I own a Punto and my choices were down to the same two cars as well. Both cars are good handlers and the engines are nearly evenly matched at the end of the day. In Bangalore, assuming you are buying here, these are the only two cars that offer ABS, Rear wiper and fog lamps which were my primary considerations,at an ex-showroom price of 6 L odd.
I chose the Punto because

1. The instrument cluster was better and offered more info, Figo's feels cut price. You spend time inside the car and this matters over time.
2. Rear power windows and adjustable rear headreasts - this answers your other question about long distances at the back. I am nearly 6' 1" and I have travelled in the back seat from Bangalore to Ooty via Kalhatti and I can tell you it was not bad. Adjustable headreasts give you better visibility when you are driving alone or with just one passenger, a big plus. You can't have two six footers one behind the other, this is the wrong segment for that.
3. The Linea arm rest is a perfect fit for Punto, the colour was a mismatch which I was able to solve with Ovion leather, see the Punto arm rest post for further details.
4. The dead pedal and arm rest are a big convenience on long distance trips.

The Figo scores in terms of rear space- fixed headrests do push against you back though, boot is nearly evenly matched and not sure if the Figo offers 60:40 foldable seats, it was very useful when I wanted to transport a TV stand.

The lack of bottle holder is a problem, work around is to place them in the seat back pocket of the passenger, so its easily accessible to you. If you are looking at the Emotion, other brands have similar kit and are worth considering. in the Punto Dynamic versus Figo Titanium I would suggest the Punto, the Figo has quite staid looks.

PS. I am not anti Ford, we have one of the rarest cars from Ford, the new Fiesta T+ at home, that trumps the Punto as a driver's car in every sense.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 12:17   #5771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
Hi, I am not quoting you entire post but I own a Punto and my choices were down to the same two cars as well. Both cars are good handlers and the engines are nearly evenly matched at the end of the day. In Bangalore, assuming you are buying here, these are the only two cars that offer ABS, Rear wiper and fog lamps which were my primary considerations,at an ex-showroom price of 6 L odd.
<snip>
Thank you, you raise a few interesting points. I'm looking at the Emotion trim, what else would you suggest that offers similar ride/handling? Swift didn't exactly wow me.
Old 9th May 2013, 13:12   #5772
BHPian

Quote:

Here are my impressions. I will try to observe things relative to Figo:
A very honest and crisp comparo that captures all the details. Both these cars are good buys, in their own ways.

If I may add, another important comparison variable - Safety. This is where the Punto trumps a lot of hatches even today. Aside from the listed safety features, it has a lot to do with the engineering that goes into the car.

There always will be idiots who can threaten the safety of everyone around them. Fiat's perform remarkably well during emergency situations and I can't think of any other hatch (same segment) that I'd want to be in, in these situations. If you use our car on highways more frequently, then I recommend the punto.

However, Fiat cars are a pain to drive in bumper to bumper traffic. Add our summers to the equation, the cars can get a tad bit gruffly (I think it's a diesel car trait). I suppose the figo does better here.
carrerastrax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 13:34   #5773
BHPian

Quote:

If you have already discussed, sorry for spamming, I believe Figo has a better turning radius than the Punto. Driving inside the cities, smaller turning radius at times gives peace of mind
Balaji31582 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 13:38   #5774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balaji31582 View Post
If you have already discussed, sorry for spamming, I believe Figo has a better turning radius than the Punto. Driving inside the cities, smaller turning radius at times gives peace of mind
The turning difference is just 0.1m between the two cars (Figo 4.9m and Punto 5m). So that really cant be a deal breaker IMO.
ajay_satpute is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 14:29   #5775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

13. Legroom in the back definitely feels cramped compared to the Figo. Can long term Punto owners comment on the backseat comfort on long journeys? This is really important to me and a TD doesn't really give you the correct picture.
I have done lot of long drives (5 hours to 8 hours, with typically one break or no break in between) and on none of this drives, the rear passengers (usually 1 or 2 pax – including my MIL, mom or wife) have complained about the rear seat comfort.

Most Viewed