Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2013, 09:02   #5626
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9 View Post
is there a way whether punto's existing HVAC system be configured to route chilled air through that vent, would be really cool if one can implement it.
Yes, It can be done. Its worth it if your car carries rear seat passengers often or is chaueffer driven.
You'll need to order an extra hose/conduit that connects the centre AC vents to the rear AC vents
that pipe looks pretty much like the sketch I made below. I had seen it once but didn't go for it since my car doesn't carry rear passengers often.
Of course, there may be other small parts like o-rings, brackets and bolts needed
Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-ac.jpg
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2013, 14:55   #5627
BHPian

Thanks Hemanth, nicely put figure, helps in understanding the setup, but it makes real sense only when carrying passengers in rear seat often, or if the vehicle is chauffer driven which in my case is impossible. I do not plan to get it done any time soon.

But will surely find the total cost that might incur for setting this up from my service advisor and share it here, incase any one might be really interested for this setup.

This might have an impact in the blower throw and the throw will surely reduce as air is being distributed.

Does the Linea, Vento and Sunny/Scala all follow the same technique to distribute the chilled air in the cabin ?

I am looking to hear from horse's mouth i.e. linea, vento sunny owners feedback as to how the experience in the rear seat is with the air con in hot summers ?

Last edited by sriramr9 : 26th February 2013 at 15:00.
Old 26th February 2013, 15:35   #5628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Do you mean disconnecting the battery negative terminal for an hour or so? Or going to sector 1 workshop to get it reset?
Disconnecting the negative terminal for 15-20 minutes will also do the job. Removing the negative terminal is not tricky. Give me a call after you return, will explain the process in detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Airbag Failure messages have nothing to do with Pressure wash.
It comes up due to a weak battery,and yeah a weak battery may throw few other tantrums as well
Agreed, it's just that the battery used to wait for a wash before throwing all tantrums. I got the battery replaced in my car still at times the odo starts blinking for no reason and the blinking stops at the next crank. Got it checked at FASS they can't diagnose any reason for it and it never happens in front of them.
Biraj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2013, 15:41   #5629
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
Disconnecting the negative terminal for 15-20 minutes will also do the job. Removing the negative terminal is not tricky. Give me a call after you return, will explain the process in detail.

Agreed, it's just that the battery used to wait for a wash before throwing all tantrums. I got the battery replaced in my car still at times the odo starts blinking for no reason and the blinking stops at the next crank. Got it checked at FASS they can't diagnose any reason for it and it never happens in front of them.
Odo Blinking is not related to a weak Battery,it has something to do with a Random error with Blue and Me,and no one has been able to find its cause.A restart and it goes away.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 26th February 2013 at 15:43.
Old 26th February 2013, 15:47   #5630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Odo Blinking is not related to a weak Battery,it has something to do with a Random error with Blue and Me,and no one has been able to find its cause.
A restart and it goes away.
I agree with akshay. I am also facing the same issue in my punto and have tried the battery trick as well but no luck. I feel b&m needs a major upgrade.

My punto has more than one issue with b&m, at times the system fails to recognise the usb and I am also unable to set a radio station on channel 4. It just won't set anything. I mean it would just keep scanning and scanning.

Also every few days the car won't connect to my LG 4X. Have to go into bluetooth settings and add the phone all over again. Wish there was a way to change the Hu and retain the steering controls functionality.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 28th February 2013, 09:22   #5631
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Odo Blinking is not related to a weak Battery,it has something to do with a Random error with Blue and Me,and no one has been able to find its cause.A restart and it goes away.

Its not related to Blue&Me. I have a 2009 Emotion (the one without Blue&Me) - I keep getting this at times. The odo blinks for no reason. It goes off after a restart.
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2013, 18:48   #5632
Senior - BHPian

Here is an update on the 2 Year service, I got a booking on 19/2 exactly 2years after delivery. This is the 24 Month one for fluid replacement. It was done at Concorde Dairy Circle. This time, the work was a bit slow and I got my car only by 7. The outcome of impending Fiat service closure I guess. I got the bill by Mail.

Sr No Part No. Name Quantity Rate VAT Amount

1 0059064672 Power Steering Oil 1L 1 427.95 62.05 427.95
2 0059117409 - Paraflu UP READY 3 152.84 66.48 458.52
3 0059064670 Transmission Oil 2 437.55 126.89 875.11
4 0051759104 Wiper Blade Front LH 1 538.86 78.14 538.86
5 0051759103 Wiper Blade Front RH 1 538.86 78.14 538.86
6 Std Check Standard Check
- Wiper blades replaced 1 FOC
7 Std Check Standard Check
- Coolant,GB, P/S GB fluids
Replaced 1 660

14.5% VAT on Parts 411.70
Other Charges on Parts 75.00
Parts Invoice Amount 3326.00
Parts Net Taxable Amount 2839.50
12% Service Tax 79.20
2% Education Cess 1.58
1% S&HE Cess 0.79
Final Labour Invoice Amount 741.58

TOTAL 4067.57

Comments: The cost are reasonable and fluid replacement done(not all) comes to a total of 3k for parts and labour. TASS had to be consistent and managed NOT to change the brake fluid in the 10 hours my car was there. I will be doing it at an FNG sometime around next week.

Also Fiat OEM wipers are good as the Bosch ones and cost around 1077/- for both, I guess with no issues about adapters and clips, owners should stick to the good Ricambi ones. I have kept the old ones on, and plan to change once the monsoon arrives or when I plan a long trip.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2013, 15:06   #5633
BHPian

I was totally amazed by the Punto's build quality and rigidness.
Yesterday, I saw a share auto ( TATA Ace) ram right into a red Punto that was at a signal.
It was horrific. The Tata Ace was doing about 40-50kmph. The front of the Ace was totally damaged. Windshield, headlamps and everything on the front was smashed. The radiator was broken and the fluid was everywhere.

To my surprise, the punto had very minimal damage. Only the reverse light was broken. The bumper had a few scratches and hatch got a very small dent.

I'm seriously amazed by the build quality of this car. But, what saddens me is that the image of FIAT among indian customers. Cars like these are rare. Best selling cars nowdays have flimsy build quality. How i wish Fiat was more reliable.
saadat1992 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2013, 22:10   #5634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
Yesterday, I saw a share auto ( TATA Ace) ram right into a red Punto that was at a signal.
It was horrific. The Tata Ace was doing about 40-50kmph. The front of the Ace was totally damaged. Windshield, headlamps and everything on the front was smashed. The radiator was broken and the fluid was everywhere.

To my surprise, the punto had very minimal damage. Only the reverse light was broken. The bumper had a few scratches and hatch got a very small dent.
Its got excellent quality. In December (to be exact, on December 01, 2012) I had a nasty accident - in fact, survived by the fraction of a second - while returning from office. I was entering the main road from a side road - it was an inverted "Y" shaped junction.

Just as I reached the junction, a bus stopped on the main road, blocking my view of the main road. I slowly moved ahead to enter the main road - the left side was clear. There was on TATA ACE coming from the right side - but he was fairly far. I decided to enter the main road - I entered my lane, and suddenly heard a bang, and noise of glass shattering. The ACE did the damage.

The bugger was coming at high speed, and he was loaded with metal rods used as support for pandals - that was hard iron. The rods were loaded on the roof, jutting out of the vehicle - it wasn't tied properly. What happened was, the ACE guy was coming at a fairly good speed, and instead of slowing down, this fellow came close and banged the brake hard - the result, the rods dislodged from the vehicle and hit into my car like missiles.

The entire rear right passenger door was gone, the rear seats damaged, rear parcel tray damaged, the panel around the door collapsed. Had the accident been a fraction-of-a-second earlier, it would've pierced through the front door, and that wouldn't have given me any chance.

The cop standing at the junction supported me - since I had stopped at the junction, and started moving only after I saw that it was safe to move.

The end result was about 44K for repair charges (17K was my share - this included denting and repainting an earlier damage) - and they took a full month to deliver the car.

But despite such a nasty hit, the inner panel of the door was intact - the outer skin took all the damage, and kept the frame intact.
binaiks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2013, 23:52   #5635
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post

I'm seriously amazed by the build quality of this car. But, what saddens me is that the image of FIAT among indian customers. Cars like these are rare. Best selling cars nowdays have flimsy build quality. How i wish Fiat was more reliable.
The build quality is one of the + points on the Punto which is very well documented by GTO in the first few pages of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Its got excellent quality. In December (to be exact, on December 01, 2012) I had a nasty accident - in fact, survived by the fraction of a second - while returning from office. I was entering the main road from a side road - it was an inverted "Y" shaped junction.

Just as I reached the junction, a bus stopped on the main road, blocking my view of the main road. I slowly moved ahead to enter the main road - the left side was clear. There was on TATA ACE coming from the right side - but he was fairly far. I decided to enter the main road - I entered my lane, and suddenly heard a bang, and noise of glass shattering. The ACE did the damage.

The bugger was coming at high speed, and he was loaded with metal rods used as support for pandals - that was hard iron. The rods were loaded on the roof, jutting out of the vehicle - it wasn't tied properly. What happened was, the ACE guy was coming at a fairly good speed, and instead of slowing down, this fellow came close and banged the brake hard - the result, the rods dislodged from the vehicle and hit into my car like missiles.

The entire rear right passenger door was gone, the rear seats damaged, rear parcel tray damaged, the panel around the door collapsed. Had the accident been a fraction-of-a-second earlier, it would've pierced through the front door, and that wouldn't have given me any chance.

The cop standing at the junction supported me - since I had stopped at the junction, and started moving only after I saw that it was safe to move.

The end result was about 44K for repair charges (17K was my share - this included denting and repainting an earlier damage) - and they took a full month to deliver the car.

But despite such a nasty hit, the inner panel of the door was intact - the outer skin took all the damage, and kept the frame intact.
The car is superbly built and keeps the occupants safe. But such cars will never be topping the sales charts in India unfortunately.
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2013, 19:20   #5636
BHPian

Is the sheet metal really tough, has it not been modified i meant lessened after the 60kg weight reduction.

My 2012 Gp had a minor incident which took place whena indica scrapped/grazed the right front door with his bumper with reasonable force (His bumper paint came off and got stuck in the door as a black line) and the door's internal reinforcement beam got cut which need welding and repainting of the entire door. after the incident when slammed the door the metal would literally vibrate without the reinforcement with a painful metallic clank.

Now that the problem is resolved and the thud sound restored to some extent, again after 1.5 months i am experiencing some sound when closing the door.

This brings back to our question is punto really that strong, how come a car bumper grazing cause the weld to break

Last edited by sriramr9 : 5th March 2013 at 19:24.
Old 6th March 2013, 09:30   #5637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Its got excellent quality. In December (to be exact, on December 01, 2012) I had a nasty accident - in fact, survived by the fraction of a second - while returning from office.

dear binaiks ,such freak accidents are almost impossible to avoid.However good one is at steering wheels all depends on foolhardy taxi driver or for that matter reckless janta .Thank god! you are safe and cameout unscathed out of that nasty mishap.
regards
praveen singh
Old 11th March 2013, 11:17   #5638
BHPian

Guys, I have scheduled my first service (1st year service) this week. Kidnly let me know what are the things that I should ask the service center to check and what's the average bill for the 1st service.

Thanks,
Sridhar
Old 11th March 2013, 14:26   #5639
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

I am planning on replacing my 5 year old micro car, and have short listed the Punto as an option. I wanted to check If anyone had an idea of the real world performance of the 1.4L petrol in terms if drivability, and not top speed. I wasn't able to find much about the performance I'd this engine. I don't drive fast, and am not interested in drag races, will not be driving much, and prefer petrols to diesels. I also believe that good discounts should be available on the petrol Emotion

Thanks in advance!
Old 11th March 2013, 14:52   #5640
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9 View Post
Is the sheet metal really tough, has it not been modified i meant lessened after the 60kg weight reduction.

My 2012 Gp had a minor incident which took place whena indica scrapped/grazed the right front door with his bumper with reasonable force (His bumper paint came off and got stuck in the door as a black line) and the door's internal reinforcement beam got cut which need welding and repainting of the entire door. after the incident when slammed the door the metal would literally vibrate without the reinforcement with a painful metallic clank.

This brings back to our question is punto really that strong, how come a car bumper grazing cause the weld to break
It could also be that his fender was involved in the collision, fender being a fully metal part. Even if it was not, the other car could have caused the damage you explained due to the sheer impact. You yourself mentioned 'reasonable force', which suggests that the impact was more than just a 'bumper grazing'. What was the damage on the indica, if I may know?

OT - Among all the hatchbacks I reviewed during my purchase time, I found the Punto to be the strongest in build quality and sturdiness. Polo comes in second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharj View Post
Guys, I have scheduled my first service (1st year service) this week. Kidnly let me know what are the things that I should ask the service center to check and what's the average bill for the 1st service.

Thanks,
Sridhar
Any specific issues you might have such as rattles or noises that have started during your usage interval. The regular stuff they would already do without you telling them.

If you want to know the approximate service bill for 1st service, it is around 2800 bucks if you insist on a voluntary engine oil change. If you don't ask for that, it would be roughly 600 bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Hi All,
I am planning on replacing my 5 year old micro car, and have short listed the Punto as an option. I wanted to check If anyone had an idea of the real world performance of the 1.4L petrol in terms if drivability, and not top speed. I wasn't able to find much about the performance I'd this engine. I don't drive fast, and am not interested in drag races, will not be driving much, and prefer petrols to diesels. I also believe that good discounts should be available on the petrol Emotion
I had test driven the Punto 1.4 Emotion and can give some inputs, although there might be other Petrol 1.4 owners who would be able to give better inputs than me.

General observations - the car feels sluggish at lower revs, and low end pull is strictly average in a loaded car. There were 4 people during my test drive with a/c on, but when I went only with the SA later, it felt a lot better. The engine is a high-revving one, and gets sweeter as you slam the throttle and allow it to rev upwards of 3000 rpm. If you are not the kind who blasts off utilizing too much low end grunt every time, you won't bother much about this (lack of low end grunt) though. For sedate driving, it is quite adequately powered and you may not complain about it. For occasional usage, it makes perfect sense to save the ~2L premium you pay for diesel emotion. I suggest you take a test drive and decide for yourself. Would I suggest it? Yes

Last edited by KarthikK : 11th March 2013 at 15:05.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks