Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2013, 15:30   #5596
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post

Thanks, I will get the EGR done in the subsequent service. I will be back in April and will get the brakes checked if I find them weak.
The brakes are good for atleast 30 -40k kms. I gotripped off at first service when they changed them at 15K. Concorde/any service center pushes whatever they have in stock, yesterday as discs weren't in stock, I was told my brakes would last another 1k kms. The same guys said 3k more at 30k, its at 39k now, no issues.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 16:55   #5597
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reply and my sentiments exactly, I will post a snapshot of the bill once we get the car back later in the day.
I remember my brother mentioning the oil @ INR 850 a litre. Punto takes in around 3.5L, right? Plus there is an additional charge of around 104 for the pollen filter.
Plus oil filter, air filter and diesel fuel filter.

Thanks, I will get the EGR done in the subsequent service. I will be back in April and will get the brakes checked if I find them weak.
The brake pads for punto and linea were redesigned in 2012. They come with 12 mm life with the brake pad life indicator around 1.5-2mm. Ask the service center guys to check it. if its anything above 3mm, ask them not to change. The brake pads costs Rs. 32xx/- which is pricey. Only positive is that it offers superb braking though.

Does anybody have any info on the after market brake pads for the Linea.

PS; the Tjets brake pad design is different from 1.4/MJD

Last edited by nkrishnap : 20th February 2013 at 17:06.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 17:48   #5598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
If no issues to report, it should take 3-4 hrs max.

I own 2012 Punto emotion. Recently I drove 2010 emotion of a friend for about 30 kms. I found ride quality better than my 2012.
Do share you views on this.
A lot of factors affect the ride quality - amount of kilometers the car has run, Tire Quality, Tire Pressure, etc.

But to your answer question more specifically - During the first few thousand Kilometers, the ride was harsh, but over a period it smoothened out, at the moment at 30,000km, the ride is more or less similar to my previous car. So wait for your suspension to smoothen out to get a good ride.

Ok, I mentioned that Ride Quality is more or less the same in both the cars, but how about the handling? There was a considerable increase in GC, what effect it has on the car's handling?

If I have to answer these questions in the 'vs Vs vs' thread that I mentioned earlier, it will read like

Swift - The best among the three. Though doesn't give you the right steering feel, the car will seldom lose its line. A cracker of an handler.

Punto '09 - It sticks like a Leech on to the road. But any sudden manouver, and the car can get quite shaky.

Punto '12 - Handling is predictable, but hey! this car has a safety hazard.

Will write it in detail in the thread.
CliffHanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 17:54   #5599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
The brake pads for punto and linea were redesigned in 2012. They come with 12 mm life with the brake pad life indicator around 1.5-2mm. Ask the service center guys to check it. if its anything above 3mm, ask them not to change. The brake pads costs Rs. 32xx/- which is pricey. Only positive is that it offers superb braking though.

Does anybody have any info on the after market brake pads for the Linea.

PS; the Tjets brake pad design is different from 1.4/MJD
What about the one's on 2012 Linea?
it also has 16 inch set up,though no rear disc brake.
Aftermarket are available,but vendors ask for a sample of the pad
Old 20th February 2013, 18:51   #5600
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
What about the one's on 2012 Linea?
it also has 16 inch set up,though no rear disc brake.
Aftermarket are available,but vendors ask for a sample of the pad
The 2012 Linea has that bigger brake pads compared to older ones which has increased the life of the pads a wee bit.

But with lesser usage of brakes and using engine braking, one can extract 30k kms from the OE pads.

Heard Magneti Marelli pads are available for linea. Will do some research and find them. Doesn't Bosch have one for Linea?
Old 20th February 2013, 19:53   #5601
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
.... I will be back in April and will get the brakes checked if I find them weak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
The brakes are good for atleast 30 -40k kms. I gotripped off at first service when they changed them at 15K...
Quote:
The brake pads for punto and linea were redesigned in 2012. They come with 12 mm life with the brake pad life indicator around 1.5-2mm. Ask the service center guys to check it. if its anything above 3mm, ask them not to change...
I think there is some confusion! The guy definitely is NOT suggesting a brake repalcement from what I understand. By "brake service", they (usually) mean to remove all the components, clean it and put it back. If there is some dust settled on these stuff, it will affect braking.

This is a routine with Maruti service, so I do find it quite normal.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 19:56   #5602
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I think there is some confusion! The guy definitely is NOT suggesting a brake repalcement from what I understand. By "brake service", they (usually) mean to remove all the components, clean it and put it back. If there is some dust settled on these stuff, it will affect braking.

Is this not part of the routine service? why does it need to be done seperately?

This inconsistency in the TATA service centers is the reason for frustration for FIAT owners. Some do it as a part of service and some dont do it at all and some do it on chargeable basis. Too much inconsistency.
Old 20th February 2013, 20:01   #5603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

You are right, the SA did not suggest a replacement for the brake pads. According to him, that is something which will needs to be done around 18K KMS.
IIRC isn't checking brakes one of the tasks during each service?

Alright, got the car back and here's the breakup of the bill:
Engine oil synthetic - 4L - 2062.22
Oil Filter - 365.33
Fuel Filter - 1830.22
Air Filtering element - 302.22
Wiremesh filter - 176.89
Minor service (service plus) - 450
Labour - 505.62
Total - 5835

so not bad, I don't quite know what this service plus is. Will need to speak to the SA about this.

Regards

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 20th February 2013 at 20:05.
hiren.mistry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 21:14   #5604
Senior - BHPian

Is this not a free service? I guess the car is went in for its second or third service.

What are 'minor service' and 'labor' chargeable components doing in a supposedly FREE service?
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2013, 09:58   #5605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
A lot of factors affect the ride quality - amount of kilometers the car has run, Tire Quality, Tire Pressure, etc.

But to your answer question more specifically - During the first few thousand Kilometers, the ride was harsh, but over a period it smoothened out, at the moment at 30,000km, the ride is more or less similar to my previous car. So wait for your suspension to smoothen out to get a good ride.

Ok, I mentioned that Ride Quality is more or less the same in both the cars, but how about the handling? There was a considerable increase in GC, what effect it has on the car's handling?
I maintain tyre pressure at 29psi on nitrogen. Tyre condition is good. ODO has clocked 15K kms.

Only difference I can think of is when driven fully loaded, ride feels better vs driven alone. (80% I drive alone).

Regarding handling I cannot comment much, with my small experience with 2010, I felt both are equally good.
S.MJet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2013, 13:32   #5606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
I maintain tyre pressure at 29psi on nitrogen. Tyre condition is good.
For Punto Emotion (Tyre Size: 195 / 60 R15), recommended pressure is 32 PSI all around.
Don't you think, 29 is a bit less?
Old 21st February 2013, 13:33   #5607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Is this not a free service? I guess the car is went in for its second or third service.

What are 'minor service' and 'labor' chargeable components doing in a supposedly FREE service?
Yes this is supposed to be a free service, the car went for its 2nd service aka 15K KMS service.
I'm as surprised as you are. My brother did not ask and I'm in Sweden, will pay the service station a visit when I'm back in April.
Old 21st February 2013, 13:47   #5608
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You are right, the SA did not suggest a replacement for the brake pads. According to him, that is something which will needs to be done around 18K KMS.
IIRC isn't checking brakes one of the tasks during each service?

Alright, got the car back and here's the breakup of the bill:
Engine oil synthetic - 4L - 2062.22
Oil Filter - 365.33
Fuel Filter - 1830.22
Air Filtering element - 302.22
Wiremesh filter - 176.89
Minor service (service plus) - 450
Labour - 505.62
Total - 5835

so not bad, I don't quite know what this service plus is. Will need to speak to the SA about this.

Regards
The 450 + 505 is the charges for cleaning brakes and general consumables. Not sure why was supposed to be charged. Otherwise the cost of the 15k service looks on par.

Quote:
Yes this is supposed to be a free service, the car went for its 2nd service aka 15K KMS service.
I'm as surprised as you are. My brother did not ask and I'm in Sweden, will pay the service station a visit when I'm back in April.
Have a word with the service advisor, do not relent until you find a proper justification and it should satisfy you for the charges. Else request them to reverse the charges and keep FIAT notified.

By the way which service center is this?
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2013, 14:37   #5609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post

For Punto Emotion (Tyre Size: 195 / 60 R15), recommended pressure is 32 PSI all around.
Don't you think, 29 is a bit less?
29 psi is also manufacturer recommended for normal/light load.
32psi is required in full load.
Both are for all four tyres.

Last edited by S.MJet : 21st February 2013 at 14:39.
Old 21st February 2013, 15:22   #5610
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
The 450 + 505 is the charges for cleaning brakes and general consumables. Not sure why was supposed to be charged. Otherwise the cost of the 15k service looks on par.
There exists such notorious dealers across the country who find one or the other way to fleece customers.
I was charged Rs 720 & 450 for wheel alignment & balancing during second service, whereas I learn from fellow BHPiens, it is not chargeable & is part of free service.
Other costs were similar in my case as well.

Nonetheless you must seek explanation from your dealer.
S.MJet is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks