Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2012, 16:43   #4996
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by parimal_g View Post
Guys need Help
Actually i was finalizing on the Punto Sports 2012 model but saw a Linea 2011 Sept 2011 Manufactured model at Dealer Godown and Fianl price he is quoted for the same is 9.7L Onroad Including all discounts. And Am getting Punto at 8.70L.
Now really tempted to buy the new Linea. Please help. I think putting 1 L for Linea Makes Sense.
Do you need the boot? Are you going to use it?

If you need a city car, go for the Punto. If you plan for some long distance trips with luggage, pick the Linea.

BUT - Do consider that picking a 9 month old car deteriorating in the stockyard would not be a wise choice after all.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2012, 19:36   #4997
BHPian

Quote:
Guys need Help
Actually i was finalizing on the Punto Sports 2012 model but saw a Linea 2011 Sept 2011 Manufactured model at Dealer Godown and Fianl price he is quoted for the same is 9.7L Onroad Including all discounts. And Am getting Punto at 8.70L.
Now really tempted to buy the new Linea. Please help. I think putting 1 L for Linea Makes Sense.
parimal_g - I would suggest the Punto. The Punto is a complete car in itself. It has a boot large enough to swallow couple of luggage, a chassis sturdy enough to take on the highways, nimble hatchback qualities for city driving and cherry on the pie, you'll save on that one lakh rupees that you are planning to spend for a 10 month old car. We all get tempted to buy that quintessential sedan because in India, larger is better. But not here. If your requirement is not of a sedan immediately and you are planning on keeping your car for 4-5 years, go for the Punto. Only and only if you are planning on keeping the car for a minimum of 8-10 years, you can look at the previous year's Linea as it will draw pretty less market value after a few years. Also take into account the money you would be spending on insurance, accessorizing the lessor variant Linea, etc.

As a Fiatian would say, any choice is a good choice as far as it's a FIAT.
SankalpDesai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2012, 21:12   #4998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post

My suggestion:
If you can live with 2011 features and okay with battery / tyre condition then push for more discounts. You are going to take the delivery in July i.e. the model is almost 10 months old and lying in their godown. Negotiate more on discount part.

Cheers!
Irish
The Car is Top End Model, but when i test drove one of my Friends Linea, iwas not impressed with the Pickup even after comapring to 75 HP Punto, dont know why. And again as you pointed out its 10 month laying at dealership. Man Confusion Confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Do you need the boot? Are you going to use it?

If you need a city car, go for the Punto. If you plan for some long distance trips with luggage, pick the Linea.

BUT - Do consider that picking a 9 month old car deteriorating in the stockyard would not be a wise choice after all.
Yes Most of the driving will be city and trips to Pune and Mostly Goa, really difficult to conclude, but i find Punto more Fun to Drive. But impressed with Linea Rear Seats awesome and far better under thigh support. And as you said the Boot will be used hardly, why to carry that extra overhang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SankalpDesai View Post
parimal_g - I would suggest the Punto. The Punto is a complete car in itself. It has a boot large enough to swallow couple of luggage, a chassis sturdy enough to take on the highways, nimble hatchback qualities for city driving and cherry on the pie, you'll save on that one lakh rupees that you are planning to spend for a 10 month old car. We all get tempted to buy that quintessential sedan because in India, larger is better. But not here. If your requirement is not of a sedan immediately and you are planning on keeping your car for 4-5 years, go for the Punto. Only and only if you are planning on keeping the car for a minimum of 8-10 years, you can look at the previous year's Linea as it will draw pretty less market value after a few years. Also take into account the money you would be spending on insurance, accessorizing the lessor variant Linea, etc.

As a Fiatian would say, any choice is a good choice as far as it's a FIAT.
The Linea am talking about is the Emotion Pack one and has the improved AC which comes in 2012 Cars, but again the question comes do i really need a boot and Hatch is an Hatch when it comes to Handling, yes and will keep the car for minimum 5 years. Punto Sports 2012 is too expensive and the are not offering any discount at all. Anyways will keep you posted on my decision.

And as you rightly said its really difficult to see beyond Fiat , Its Emotional decision.
Old 18th June 2012, 21:30   #4999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Car is Top End Model, but when i test drove one of my Friends Linea, iwas not impressed with the Pickup even after comapring to 75 HP Punto, dont know why. And again as you pointed out its 10 month laying at dealership. Man Confusion Confusion
This is not true parimal_g.

I have owned Punto 90HP and have driven it 15k Kms on both City and Highway. It behaves like a missile on the highway after 3000 RPM.

Now, I am owning a Linea and it is even better than Punto 90HP. You need to extensively drive Linea to understand it better. I am telling this after owning and driving both the cars.
Old 18th June 2012, 22:24   #5000
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys need Help

I suggest you stick to the Punto -

1) 1L difference - just for the boot.
2) Punto sportz should be more fun to drive than the Linea due to lesser weight.
3) The 2011 car will also fetch lesser in resale.
4) The 2011 car will not be the 2012 minor refreshed one.
5) The 2011 car will have an older batter, older tyres and may develop some niggles due to it being lying around for a while.

The only +ve I can see is the snob value of a sedan with a bit more boot space.
Old 18th June 2012, 22:55   #5001
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
I suggest you stick to the Punto -

1) 1L difference - just for the boot.
2) Punto sportz should be more fun to drive than the Linea due to lesser weight.
I beg to differ with you here.

Its not about just the boot. Linea is a complete sedan unlike other so called sedans. And, FYI Linea is indeed more fun to drive than the Punto 90HP. The only deal breaker here is that the car is manufactured 10 months back in 2011.

@parimal_g - What I suggest is to go with Punto 90HP or Linea 2012 if you have the budget.
Old 18th June 2012, 22:58   #5002
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Well have driven the Lineas (petrol and diesels quite a few times and have not been satisfied with the power - not the T-jet) and have felt the punto 90HP to be a better bet. Yes the linea is a superb sedan but somehow does not have sufficent power to satisfy some.
Old 18th June 2012, 23:05   #5003
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Well have driven the Lineas (petrol and diesels quite a few times and have not been satisfied with the power - not the T-jet) and have felt the punto 90HP to be a better bet. Yes the linea is a superb sedan but somehow does not have sufficent power to satisfy some.
Well, I have given my comments after owning both these cars. Punto 90HP and Linea MJD. The MJD may fail in initial acceleration, but it becomes undisputed king after 3000 RPM.
Old 19th June 2012, 11:14   #5004
BHPian

I'd take the Linea over the Punto. My reasons:

1) The Linea is even more planted than the Punto. You have to chuck the two round sharp curves at triple digit speeds to really notice the difference though.
2) Double barrel headlamps
3) If the Punto is rated an 8 on looks, the Linea would be rated a 9.

p.s. Actions speak louder than words
@ACM, the VGT MJD comes into it's own only after 7-10k on the odo. Ever since I crossed 5k, I've noticed a marked difference in acceleration.
Old 19th June 2012, 12:24   #5005
Distinguished - BHPian

Did the PDI of the Punto in Trivandrum (Mohan Das Motors) and found everything in order.

Model: FIAT Punto 1.3 MJD.
Variant - Emotion
Color - Oceanic Blue.

Final on road price - 768,819 - 8000 (Corporate Discount) = 760,819. To be registered in Kollam.

Freebies.

1) Mud Flaps
2) Carpets
3) Seat Covers (Art Leather)
4) Underbody coating 3M - Five years. Opted this instead of the Teflon Coating.
5) Reverse Parking Sensors
6) Extended Warranty

Delivery expected on Thursday.
Old 19th June 2012, 13:16   #5006

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
I just can't wait to get delivery of my 2012 Emotion, but the days are nearing.
I had originally opted for Oceanic Blue but it seems none of the dealers in Bombay would be able to get that color for another 20 odd days, atleast thats what Om Sai is telling me.

So have to opt for Tuscon Wine that too is being got from Galaxy motors. I have been given the VIN and engine number, and its a Jan 2012 made car as confirmed by Wildon.

Will soon be doing a PDI before its sent for registration. Can't wait.

Cheers
Can you describe how was your experience while dealing with the sales guys at Galaxy Motors? I presume you went to their outlet at Mulund, right?

In my case, I had booked a Punto Dynamic 1.3 on 09-May-2012. While booking, they were responsive and I did get a decent discount. I was given an impression that there is no waiting period. Later, i was told that the car would come to Mumbai on 29-May after which I'd get the VIN number. After much delay, I got the VIN which showed it as an April 2012 Car. Wonder why it hasnt been shipped to Mumbai in June, that too from a nearby Pune!! After writing a complaint to Fiat, the vehicle finally arrived at their yard on 15-May-2012. And now, while it is in the process of getting registered, the sales guy cannot even indicate clearly as to when the registration would be through. They want to keep it hanging saying that "RTO may ask for more documents, so-and-so certificate, blah blah, and it may cost you some extra money, etc., etc.,"

Just wanted to know how has been your experience.
Old 19th June 2012, 14:16   #5007
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
I have owned Punto 90HP and have driven it 15k Kms on both City and Highway. It (Linea MJD) behaves like a missile on the highway after 3000 RPM.
Now, I am owning a Linea and it is even better than Punto 90HP. You need to extensively drive Linea to understand it better. I am telling this after owning and driving both the cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Well, I have given my comments after owning both these cars. Punto 90HP and Linea MJD. The MJD may fail in initial acceleration, but it becomes undisputed king after 3000 RPM.
A liitle search on T-BHP and I found this:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1890123

In other words, it reflects what you are saying.
PS: Read the 1st comment after the rankings, too good.

Last edited by carwatcher : 19th June 2012 at 14:23.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 19:57   #5008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Did the PDI of the Punto in Trivandrum (Mohan Das Motors) and found everything in order.

Variant - Emotion
Color - Oceanic Blue.

Final on road price - 768,819 - 8000 (Corporate Discount) = 760,819. To be registered in Kollam.

Freebies.

1) Mud Flaps
2) Carpets
6) Extended Warranty

Congrats on your Punto.

I had earlier booked a Dynamic but after checking the price for you I decided to go for the Emotion as well. I went for the Exotica Red the car is on its way according to them.

Off the list I just opted for the Under body coating and extended warranty + carpets and flaps. I prefer custom stitched covers than those ready made ones.

May I know who your Sales Executive was ?
Old 19th June 2012, 20:26   #5009
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadbike View Post
Congrats on your Punto.

I had earlier booked a Dynamic but after checking the price for you I decided to go for the Emotion as well. I went for the Exotica Red the car is on its way according to them.

Off the list I just opted for the Under body coating and extended warranty + carpets and flaps. I prefer custom stitched covers than those ready made ones.

May I know who your Sales Executive was ?
Firstly, I am not buying the Punto. I am heading the buying process for my friend.

Cool that you opted for Emotion. By the way there was no Exotica Red in the yard. So be rest assured that it will from a newer lot.

For the time being till the rainy season ends, let the covers be on, then the Karlsson leather will go on the car seats once the car comes to Bangalore sometime in October.

Sales rep is Najeeb from Kollam.

Happy Puntoing in advance.
Old 20th June 2012, 13:25   #5010
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Variant - Emotion
Color - Oceanic Blue.

Freebies.
Quote:
1) Mud Flaps
This is OE

Quote:
2) Carpets
?? Pics

Quote:
OE seats are better than seat covers - the seat covers collect dust and they are difficult to remove later!

Quote:
How do you check the coating? This is vague and do not trust your dealer!
Quote:

Ensure you get a sensor of repute, else in for some trouble!!

Quote:
6) Extended Warranty
Good!!

Quote:
Ask for cash discounts instead of freebies like seat covers and teflon coating..Nowadays most OEMs use superior painting and coating processes and this coating is not required!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks