Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2012, 23:31   #4666
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PremjitS View Post
Found a very nice article on the Grande Punto, albeit most of it relates to the EU version. Still, many featers are present in the Indian version too. Most descriptive article I've read on the GP:

2007 Fiat Grande Punto - Top Speed

Another thing: the seatbelt warning light comes on in the 2012 Dynamic variant, but it doesn't seem to be working or glowing when the passenger side seatbelt is not engaged. Any thoughts on this?
Quite an exhaustive, interesting read this article. Very detailed write up What is confusing, rather shocking is the fact that the same 1.3 MJD with 75 BHP powers the Punto there, but it helps it reach 100 in 13.6 seconds! While the 1.3 90 hp variant helps the Grande Punto rach 100 in 11.9 seconds! Who, a huge difference when compared to our Puntos What is the possible reason behind this? Indian fuel quality? Weather? I simply cant think of a factor that would affect performance so much.
Old 29th March 2012, 02:22   #4667
BHPian

One of the reasons for the inferior performance of the 90hp seems to be the fact that it seems to use a 6 speed gearbox abroad as mentioned in the article.

A link to something that Punto owners knew all along!!

BSM FTD Test - Honda Brio vs Maruti Suzuki Swift vs Fiat Punto 90 vs Skoda Fabia - Down the hatch

Also shows why I still consider BSM to be a true aficionado's mag. A drivers mag for sure.
Old 29th March 2012, 09:16   #4668
Team-BHP Support

My 90HP has run 2600kms in 19 days and is at Munnar now.

This drive from Trivandrum to munnar has been an experience in itself. From 33ft above sea level to 4760ft above sea level, 330 kms and it still returned an average mileage of 18.3 kmpl (MID). I'm particularly happy with the mileage returned since it was an uphill climb all along. Return figures will be even better, i guess.

Most of the run was done in 3rd and 4th gear, with 2nd used when caught behind heavy vehicles.

Likes (Noticed during this drive)-
1. Steering, handling & suspension - Could throw around corners with ease.
2. Grip - Heavy rain and fog, and the car felt so stable. New experience for me, graduating from a humble WagonR.
3. Pulling power in 3rd and 4th. Lower gears were not much needed.
4. Amazing mileage figure of 18.3 kmpl (MID) despite an uphill climb from 33ft to 4760ft.

Dislikes (As noticed during this drive) -
1. Rattle from the rear (Parcel tray, i believe).
2. Width! This is no small hatch when it comes to width. It really requires space. Need to put in extra concentration through those tight corners.
3. Foot pedal ergonomics - Had acute pain in the right ankle last night after the drive. Completely ok after a nights rest.

Only one pic clicked yesterday, that too under really low light. :(
Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-img_6805b_800.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
BSM FTD Test - Honda Brio vs Maruti Suzuki Swift vs Fiat Punto 90 vs Skoda Fabia - Down the hatch

Also shows why I still consider BSM to be a true aficionado's mag. A drivers mag for sure.
True.

But, Swift with stock rubber is no swift. Most people go for tyre change and that really changes the car. And even after driving around in the 90HP, i find the Swift DDiS to be fast and fun.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 29th March 2012 at 09:20.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2012, 17:59   #4669
Senior - BHPian

Does the seat height adjustment lever touch the plastic cladding on lowering the front driver's seat?

If NO is the answer, -10/10 (ah yes, negative ten out of ten) for Marina Motors Calicut for damaging our height adjustment mechanism.

For the uninitiated, the front seat would lower down gradually as the time progresses. We had made Marina Motors replace the whole front seat under warranty once. But that didn't solve the issue. On escalating the matter, they replaced a part (seat adjustment mechanism as they say). Again, problem not solved. They made us wait endlessly giving the good old silly excuses like the part didn't arrive blah blah. As we're sure that they had NOT ordered the part, we called them up on phone and threatened them once again that either they'll fix the seat or we'll escalate the matter to higher-ups of FIAT or take legal actions. They phoned dad, asked to bring the car, kept the cars for 2 odd days, only to damage the seat mechanism to such an extent that we cannot lower the seat properly. They've even made it a point to break the hooks so that it makes irritating noise and applied some white glue/adhesive on the gaps near the lever so as to make it look very nasty.

The very first thing that we would be doing tomorrow is to escalate the matter to the higher ups and have a word the service adviser and highers ups in Marina Motors.

Shame on you Marina Motors! We're pissed off with your service a big time. *a big thumbs down*
Old 30th March 2012, 20:01   #4670
BANNED

^^ escalate buddy, Else for next 10 years also it will be status quo. if already done, has they budge and corrected it or not . Achieving a Consistent after sales & service across all the dealers in India is some thing that FIAT guys, still don;t know. wondering what kind of service improvements are being done in background , as claimed by their India Head, as Nothing is visible on ground.

Last edited by .sushilkumar : 30th March 2012 at 20:05.
Old 30th March 2012, 22:56   #4671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
But, Swift with stock rubber is no swift. Most people go for tyre change and that really changes the car. And even after driving around in the 90HP, i find the Swift DDiS to be fast and fun.
No. It may feel like Swift is faster, may be 0-100, but once your 90HP is revved beyond 2500 RPM, it will be a different beast. I am telling this because, I have driven 90HP for 15k kms.

BTW, that was a Nice picture .
Old 30th March 2012, 23:40   #4672
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...Only one pic clicked yesterday, that too under really low light. :(
Attachment 908628
Pic from "Adimali" ? Looks like the one close to there!

Quote:
But, Swift with stock rubber is no swift.
Well, you are right about the L & V. But Z rubber [185] suffices for most stunts upto 150 kmph!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
..If NO is the answer, -10/10 (ah yes, negative ten out of ten) for Marina Motors Calicut for damaging our height adjustment mechanism....

Shame on you Marina Motors! We're pissed off with your service a big time. *a big thumbs down*
Not sure why did you take it light till now! You are going to feel so bad about this incident for a long time, even if Fiat escalates & get things done properly. Be a task master when you need to be. It might affect your rapport a bit, but will get you better goodies!

The next problem [most probably] you are going to face is the "accusation" from the A$$ that you guys have screwed the height adjustment lever & NOT the A$$. Don't you have any other service centres there? If so escalate & tell Fiat that the repair be done in the other A$$.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 30th March 2012 at 23:42.
Old 31st March 2012, 06:39   #4673
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
The very first thing that we would be doing tomorrow is to escalate the matter to the higher ups and have a word the service adviser and highers ups in Marina Motors.
Thats bad! Did you escalate? Any results?

Couple of really bad service stories in the last few pages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
No. It may feel like Swift is faster, may be 0-100, but once your 90HP is revved beyond 2500 RPM, it will be a different beast. I am telling this because, I have driven 90HP for 15k kms.
BTW, that was a Nice picture .
Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Pic from "Adimali" ? Looks like the one close to there!
Neriyamangalam bridge, I guess near adimali. I was going to Munnar.

Dedicated to all FIAT lovers here -
Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-img_6863b_800.jpg
Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-img_6851b_800.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 31st March 2012 at 07:07.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 31st March 2012, 07:07   #4674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR
Thats one fantastic pic! The location matches the beauty of the car

The Punto never appears out of place whether the setting is an urban jungle or beautiful countryside. Wallpaper stuff
Old 31st March 2012, 09:01   #4675
BHPian

Guys, I lost the cap on my ORVM yesterday, the cap took a hit a couple days back and was loosely sticking to the ORVM till yesterday.

Now, will I be able to procure the cap alone from Tata or should I buy the entire ORVM set?
Old 31st March 2012, 10:02   #4676
BHPian

Quote:
Lovely snaps, Punto looks good in all colors, but it looks the best in Exotica Red Hope your only hiccup till now was the loose "Link Rod" issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Guys, I lost the cap on my ORVM yesterday, the cap took a hit a couple days back and was loosely sticking to the ORVM till yesterday.

Now, will I be able to procure the cap alone from Tata or should I buy the entire ORVM set?
If I have understood you correct, its the painted portion on the ORVM. Yes it is available at TASS, if not you can order it. No need to buy the entire ORVM assembly.

Last edited by nkg77 : 31st March 2012 at 10:05.
nkg77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2012, 11:34   #4677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats bad! Did you escalate? Any results?

Couple of really bad service stories in the last few pages.

Thanks.

Neriyamangalam bridge, I guess near adimali. I was going to Munnar.

Attachment 909426
Attachment 909431
Nice pics, Crazy Driver. I have a question for you, how are the sunfilms behaving? Since they were fitted by the dealer, I beleive they are from Weurth/Wurth, which is OE for Fiat.
Old 31st March 2012, 19:09   #4678
Distinguished - BHPian

Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne's decision to delay the introduction of new products in volume segments is causing the Italian automaker to lose ground in Europe.

The Punto subcompact, launched seven years ago, won't have a successor until early 2014. Plans to replace the Bravo compact, which went on sale in 2007, are on hold and Fiat may even import the car's successor from China.

http://europe.autonews.com/apps/pbcs...120329929/1193
Old 31st March 2012, 21:31   #4679
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Its around 150 rupees IIRC in Bengalooru, It must be less in Chennai.
You get only black unpainted covers. If you want a body coloured cover, Painting will cost extra.
Be prepared...Painting will be costlier than the cover itself.
But it still work out less than in some other cars' cases where in you are forced to buy the whole assembly.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2012, 23:55   #4680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Superb photos CrAzY dRiVeR. But then, I think you had it very easy. After all, its the Punto and Munnar.

Quote:
It is called the OVRM cowl. Good work by Fiat if they are selling the cowl separate.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks