Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2012, 21:21   #4561
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshsundaram View Post
Looks like FIAT sales is made up of die-hard FIAT fans! One of the key reasons that FIAT is selling low could be - Dealer Attitude / Interest. I booked a test drive for Punto 90HP in website, and got a call the next day from FIAT. The caller assigned PRERANA MOTORS in Outer Ring Road, Bangalore for the test drive. (I am in Bangalore now, btw).
..............................Dealer's lack of interest in selling a FIAT vehicle is clearly evident.
Exactly. I highlighted the same few weeks back, but the Fiat fans did not take it in the right spirit. I went for a TD of the 2012 Punto, the SA made me stand near the car and I was there for the rest of 20 minutes, after which I left the place pissed off! This was in Chennai. If you observe, Fiat customers and cars, both are given step-motherly treatment by the TATA personnel. Walk into Concorde, Chennai and you would know what I mean.

And may I add, FIAT makes excellent cars, but it's their sub-standard dealer attitude and A.S.S that spoil the whole experience.

Last edited by DRIV3R : 18th March 2012 at 21:28.
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2012, 23:44   #4562
Team-BHP Support

My GP travelled 810 kms yesterday night, and is in Trivandrum now. She has totally transformed after the drive!

2nd gear driverability used to be pathetic, and it used to just struggle in city conditions - but now, it almost feels like a Swift (new one with reduced turbo kick). Very eager to rev and less lag as well compared to early days.

Car has now run ~1350 kms in 8 days!

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-img_6564_800.jpg
Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-img_6561_800.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Exactly. I highlighted the same few weeks back, but the Fiat fans did not take it in the right spirit. I went for a TD of the 2012 Punto, the SA made me stand near the car and I was there for the rest of 20 minutes, after which I left the place pissed off! This was in Chennai. If you observe, Fiat customers and cars, both are given step-motherly treatment by the TATA personnel. Walk into Concorde, Chennai and you would know what I mean.
I had a fantastic experience with Concorde, Chennai (Velachery Main Road, Guindy showroom). If not anything - the experience was at par with Maruti (my previous cars).

Not sure what went wrong in your case, but in case you are still looking for that TD - please PM me your number. Will ask my SE to get back to you.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 18th March 2012 at 23:54.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2012, 00:33   #4563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
And may I add, FIAT makes excellent cars, but it's their sub-standard dealer attitude and A.S.S that spoil the whole experience.
+1 to that.
Even in my ownership thread I've highlighted this point. It seems as though the happiness in selling Fiat car is much less than the sadness in not able to convert that sale to Tata car for the SEs.
I personally feel TML has some kind of incentive plan in place where Tata staff gets paid for their performance on the folg points:
1. Not letting customer speak to Fiat specific SEs. When one calls the receptionist always says "FEEAT???? Wait" then either phone gets cut after keeping on hold from their end or customer himself hangs up or they simply say "give your no., we'll call back" and call never comes.
2. Misguiding the customer about features and price of Fiat cars and starting comparing them with Tata cars unnecessarily.
3. While servicing, not doing servicing properly, while rectifying one problem, creating 5 others and best technique is, as the supply chain etc is under Tata control, simply not ordering parts, or holding back deliveries or ordering wrong parts.
4. Even the manufacturing process suffers from that discrimination, while purchasing my T-Jet when I highlighted that infamous rear window chrome beading misalignment which is present in almost all the Lineas, the SE simply told that Fiat has informed Tatas numerous times on these QC issues but they are incapable of giving quality beyond a certain point and the problem is with their attitude. Its not that they don't know it.
I wonder whether the amount of effort required by a Fiat specific SE/technician to get things done must be equal to or more than the effort required by a common man to get things done in a govt organisation.

Last edited by carwatcher : 19th March 2012 at 00:42.
Old 19th March 2012, 03:27   #4564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
My GP travelled 810 kms yesterday night, and is in Trivandrum now. She has totally transformed after the drive!

2nd gear driverability used to be pathetic, and it used to just struggle in city conditions - but now, it almost feels like a Swift (new one with reduced turbo kick). Very eager to rev and less lag as well compared to early days.

Car has now run ~1350 kms in 8 days!
Well well well! I thought I got lucky with mine, however it does seem Fiat have worked wonders with 2012 editions. For one, they have cured Punto/Linea of their vices and the cars are simply amazing to drive, more than before. I am not yet crossing 2k RPM much, yet the car seems to be leaving others behind at lights/straights from 2nd gear onwards.

Mine too seems to have opened up after completing 800Ks on ODO, it remains to be seen what happens beyond 5k. There is a definite turbo kick after 2k RPM in 3/4/5 gears. And AVG consumption? Well, let the picture do the talking...
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-pix473.jpg  

PremjitS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2012, 06:24   #4565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshsundaram
So finally, I'd say PUNTO / LINEA may be a better vehicle - but the unfortunate tie up with TATA for sales channel is one of the culprit for the FIAT's sales going down. I've read the same comment numerous time in TBHP. And I've experienced it now. Dealer's lack of interest in selling a FIAT vehicle is clearly evident.
Please contact Karthik S P (Asst. Manager, Sales - Fiat) - 9686698062. He sits in head office and is quite responsive.

Edit: I am buying my Linea from Concorde - Mysore road.

Try calling Sunil on +918147098060, or talk to Chandra Mohan on +918147097963. (Team Lead - Fiat). Chances are, you get a better response . Please let us know how your experience was.

Last edited by autocrat : 19th March 2012 at 06:35.
Old 19th March 2012, 06:49   #4566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR
Very happy to read that you are really enjoying the car. I am not sure whether any car in this segment will bring smile to your face when you drive it daily but Punto will surely bring.
The exclusivity one feels while driving just takes you to another level of happiness. It may sound ironical however am really glad that very few people in India take this decision and buy it. You will always have a celebrity like a feel.
And coming back to drivability, it will be smooth and engine will feel more refined as you clock few thousands.
One more thing, punto is no slouch you just need to adapt to its pattern ( which you are already doing) and engine and gearbox settings, then you can smoke out most of the cars on the road. Saying this because I have seen cars struggling to catch hold of me on expressways.
Enjoy your one of the best times on road mate.
Old 19th March 2012, 10:04   #4567
Senior - BHPian

Its good to see non fiat fans too considering the FIAT after their experience with the car.

I only have one small request to you all. Please do not visit the a.s.s for any of the minor niggles you may have during your initial ownership. I can tell you that most of these niggles would take care of themselves in the long run or you would get used to it. The A.S.S is highly competent in consistently screwing up things while trying to sort out these niggles.

Just like every man is unique every car is too. The point is that if it is not broken. Drive it. If its not highly irritating. Drive it. If you believe you can manage. Drive it.

Just to give you a feel of what i mean. I used to change the wiper blade on my FIAT adventure every time i see a scratch mark while wiping. In 3 years IIRC i changed atleast 6 sets of wiper blade. On my Ford Figo i dont bother about these marks. The wiper wipes with marks during the first two days of rain and then settles to normal. I am running on OEM wiper blades two years down the line!!!

ENJOY YOUR DRIVES.

Last edited by gemithomas : 19th March 2012 at 10:07.
gemithomas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2012, 10:15   #4568
BHPian

@CRAZY DRIVER ,there is something this car (fiat punto) which we often fail to put into words ,each time or every time I am on wheels it feels like heaven sent vehicle .
One has to own to it to realise it what this fuss is all about .
Take my belated congrats and keep us posted through your journey with fiat

@scofield ,even if we dont think about the smoking ,the ride comfort and handling forces other cars to stay behind .
I wish the fiat guys should read our posts at team-bhp ,it would do much good to them
regards
praveen singh

Last edited by blueblooded : 19th March 2012 at 10:19. Reason: punctuation
Old 19th March 2012, 10:21   #4569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblooded View Post
@scofield ,even if we dont think about the smoking ,the ride comfort and handling forces other cars to stay behind .
I completely agree with your thoughts, It is oftenly said on the forum that GP cannot match swift , i20 in tems of pickup and all that - its for them who say it. 90HP after 2000 RPM - 4500 RPM just rockets out.
Old 19th March 2012, 14:09   #4570
BHPian

@CrAzY dRiVeR : congrats, I wasn't such a fan of white most cases, but the BNW Grande Punto is beginning to grow on me. To paraphrase the movie title , "There's Something About (the) Punto" ! That's a lot of running in a short time. Does the owner's manual mention anything about running in or speed/RPM limits during first x km ?
Old 19th March 2012, 15:19   #4571
BHPian

I feel so elated every time I visit this thread. People driving their Fiat's to the fullest and enjoying miles after miles of unmatched comfort, style and handling.

I have a small query here. I have a Grande Punto 1.3MJD 90 HP. Driven it for almost 13000 kms now. I have noticed one peculiar thing occuring in my car. Here it is -

Everytime I clean the car, I do it thoroughly. I also make sure the front alloys are sparkling clean and gleaming-all-the-way. After a good day's drive or two, I notice that ONLY the front-right alloy wheel, near the driver, gets real dark. Initially I thought it to be mud but on close observation I noticed that it is not mud. It seems to be fine black char, something like finely grinded coal powder. It sticks to the alloy and isn't easy to remove. Do notice - this happens only on the front-right alloy. My question is -

1. Is this common to all cars?
2. Is this common to all Fiat's?
3. Is something wrong with my Punto?

I haven't found any difference in the way the car drives or behaves at high speeds. So it doesn't feel like an issue with the mechanics. Please suggest what can be the problem. I will try to take a pic and upload it here but can't promise as I do not have internet access at home.

Last edited by SankalpDesai : 19th March 2012 at 15:20.
Old 19th March 2012, 15:31   #4572
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SankalpDesai View Post
1. Is this common to all cars?
Yes, common in cars with disc brakes although the quantity of brake dust differs across various brands.
Quote:
2. Is this common to all Fiat's?
Yes. FIAT Punto/Linea's brake pads are made of softer material. Hence, the brake pad dust is more in Punto and Linea.
Quote:
3. Is something wrong with my Punto?
No.

Old 19th March 2012, 16:43   #4573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi
FIAT Punto/Linea's brake pads are made of softer material. Hence, the brake pad dust is more in Punto and Linea.
Does that mean softer brake pads result in better brake bites and shorter life?
I find brakes really good.
Old 19th March 2012, 17:44   #4574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scofield View Post
Does that mean softer brake pads result in better brake bites and shorter life?
I find brakes really good.
Yes exactly! Precisely it offers more friction than a harder material disc and thus offers better stopping power. But on the downside, the disc is more prone to wearing because of the same soft factor.
(This is like the soft compound Vs hard compound debate for the tyres!)
Old 19th March 2012, 18:15   #4575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Yes exactly! Precisely it offers more friction than a harder material disc and thus offers better stopping power. But on the downside, the disc is more prone to wearing because of the same soft factor.
(This is like the soft compound Vs hard compound debate for the tyres!)
Discs dont wear out. Its the brake pads that wear out quickly.

The brake pads are supplied by Galfer Brakes, one of the best brake pad manufacturers.

Stopping a 1200kg car in such a short distance is because of the good brake pads. But the life is bit less. It will suffice till 20k-35k max depending on your usage.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks