Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2011, 16:30   #3991
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
I think all AC cars have functional ACs that cool the cabin sooner or later and thats why we call them AC cars.
please define usable because 23C temp is definitely not why I need the AC for.
I have a 2009 MJD Emotion - the cabin cools in no time, even during the worst summers in Kerala. I don't have a climate control - so cannot talk in terms of degrees, but one reaches ambient climate very quickly. My car doesn't have sunfilms as well - a point to be noted.
Old 1st November 2011, 18:30   #3992
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amulu10 View Post
hello all ! I have a issue with my 2 year+ old fiat punto MJD . After the 2 year & 3rd free service my Punto started to go straight only when i had the wheel turned to the left BUT it didnt not pull to any side even when i had my hands off the wheel . Concerned about the capabilities of the authorized SC , i took the car to a tyre and wheel alignment center . And just as I suspected TOE values of the front of my car was messed up badly . The car seemed to run fine for a few weeks but soon it started to pull to the right badly at high speed . I took it took to the alinment centre as he had promised a 3000km warranty , but to my surprise the center reports that the alinment is perfect ! . I am really at wits end over this as the car is proving to be dangerous to drive at 3-digit speeds. What should I do ? Fellow punto owner and Member suggested that some alignment centers have the steering aliment value of a international punto and that could be messing with the handling .
Should i take it to the service centre for the alignment or would it be better for me to have it aligned at the different center ?
You could take your car to the TASS and get their opinion as well. If you want to try at a different tyre centre, give a try at Ramesh Tyres at Velachery. They do a good job.

NB:- I am not associated with them in any way. Just a coincidence
Old 1st November 2011, 22:02   #3993
Senior - BHPian

That's why I ask service guys not to touch alignment in my car during regular services. Definitely they mess the entire setup. I tried at Lal tyres one time and tortured them till I got the right setup. You just try an alignment centre near open road so that you can test ride and change it accordingly.
Old 2nd November 2011, 00:00   #3994
Senior - BHPian

Team-BHP quoted in Punto Brochure

Got to see the new Punto Brochure and saw that Team-BHP has been quoted in the Brochure.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-p1.jpg  

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-p2.jpg  

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-p3.jpg  

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-p4.jpg  

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-p5.jpg  

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-p6.jpg  

rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2011, 20:11   #3995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
I've driven both the cars(Swift & Punto 75HP) extensively for thousands of KMs in Highways. And here are my observations.

1. The performance of Swift will never let you go tired, the car is always hungry to cover miles, whereas in Punto, above 120kmph the engine is always on the boil, and that gives you a feel that the car is sweating it out really hard, while you feel the Swift is always hungry for more. And this observation comes after driving the cars continously for almost 10hours non-stop in a lot of occasions.

2. If you are doing a long jault, Punto's first 2 short gears will anoy you. You would be in a mood to pick up pace quickly, but the car takes its own sweet time. In Swift, you crank the engine, and the game will start immediately.

3. Swift's steering feels dead at amost all speeds above 50kmph, you will not know where the car is heading to your inputs, but the car will handle itself unless you don't make any panic manouvers.

4. Swift handles corners better than Punto. Punto could get shaky, but Swift gets back to line quickly.

5. The composure of Punto is unbeatable, if you are doing around 110kmph, you will feel like cruising in a tank. All the dynamics of the car works best at around this speed.

6. Swift's ride composure will literally break your back and can make you feel sick of travelling. The hard suspension setup is to be blamed for, but that's what makes it handle corners at ease. In Punto, you will find it hard to recollect when you last encountered a pothole on your drive.

7. Swift's Gear shifts are top notch, Punto's is vague and rubbery.

8. In Swift, you feel like being in a toy car, the lightness of everything in the car gives you that feel. In Punto, you feel like you are in an iron monument that has been built over years with undying passion. 17 years of passionate engineering to build a car what it is now, will slowly get into you without your knowledge.

Now, Punto 90HP was launched to strengthen the performance weakness Punto had, and did it bridge the gap?

90HP picks up pace really quickly in highways and the engine is no more in the boil at 120kmph, the car cruises and if you are in the right power band it can give the Swift a real run for its money. Even if the Swift is kept in its right power band, it cannot catch up with a Punto in the right band.
Today I got to drive my firend's Punto(75HP bought on Aug '11, current ODO- 3.5k)). I was quite suprised by some stark differences between this car and the one I owned(bought on Aug '09, sold with ODO reading `50k).

My observations below

Note - Some are just initial impressions. Perceptions might change as you get used to the car.

1. The contour of the gear knob head is altered a bit. I felt more like holding a stick than like holding a gear lever. Slotting into gears is no more rubbery, but still not as precise as, say a Swift.

2. Steering has become lighter. I always believed that ladies will have tough time driving a Punto in city, because of its tight steering. But now I think it will no more be a cause of concern for them. But I'm not sure of in what way it will impact the car's handling.

Now the important part -----

3. Gear ratios are better. First gear is not as short as it used to be, while second gear, now, has become more driveable, neither too short nor too long. Turbo lag is very very minimal. The car is no more a laggard in city. With all these changes, there is a marked improvement in driveability.

4. NVH is better(not that it was bad in earlier Punto's).

4. Coming to Punto's achilies heel - interior fit and finish - While I was in the passenger seat, I couldn't stop myself from peeping into every nook and corner of the car. And I was surprised to see that the fit and finish is almost perfect. Also, a lot of small plastics, such as seat reclination lever, have been replaced with strong plastics.

I'm happy to see that Fiat has implemented all the feedback from the early birds.

Good going Fiat!

Last edited by CliffHanger : 4th November 2011 at 20:13.
CliffHanger is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2011, 15:07   #3996
Senior - BHPian

One of my friend went to the Fiat Dealership in Chennai today to collect his RC Book. Some Fiat officials have made their visit at the dealership. He met them and was told by them that Grande Punto has been retuned (no more short gearing on 1st and 2nd gears) from June'2011 onwards. I haven't driven any Punto's manufactured after June'11. Will give my comments if I get to drive one.
rameshnanda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2011, 15:24   #3997
BHPian

wow, Punto has now got even more better. What a hoot to drive!

I went to Prerana and test drove a new Punto MJD.

Guys, check it out yourself! Its super fun to drive now, even in first and second gear!
Old 5th November 2011, 17:23   #3998
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like Fiat is listening to feed-backs. But please, use better marketing for reaching more people. Also make sure you have dedicated SAs in A$$ as well. It's good to know that the interior fit & finish is also better now.
Old 5th November 2011, 17:31   #3999
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Also make sure you have dedicated SAs in A$$ as well.
Concorde Motors, Dairy Circle and Mysore Road, Bangalore, have dedicated service team and service bays exclusively for FIAT cars. I know this as my Linea gets serviced there only.

Old 5th November 2011, 19:40   #4000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Today I got to drive my firend's Punto(75HP bought on Aug '11, current ODO- 3.5k)). I was quite suprised by some stark differences between this car and the one I owned(bought on Aug '09, sold with ODO reading `50k).

My observations below

Note - Some are just initial impressions. Perceptions might change as you get used to the car.

Now the important part -----

3. Gear ratios are better. First gear is not as short as it used to be, while second gear, now, has become more driveable, neither too short nor too long. Turbo lag is very very minimal. The car is no more a laggard in city. With all these changes, there is a marked improvement in driveability.

4. NVH is better(not that it was bad in earlier Punto's).

4. Coming to Punto's achilies heel - interior fit and finish - While I was in the passenger seat, I couldn't stop myself from peeping into every nook and corner of the car. And I was surprised to see that the fit and finish is almost perfect. Also, a lot of small plastics, such as seat reclination lever, have been replaced with strong plastics.

I'm happy to see that Fiat has implemented all the feedback from the early birds.

Good going Fiat!
Some more..

5. The horn sounds miserable now. Seems Fiat has cut cost here. Horn change for new Puntos is highly recommended.

6. Clutch and gear box are strongly mapped now. After gear change you can release the clutch quicker without any jerk.

7. Driver's seat felt more comfortable. Guessing some contour change, but not sure.

8. Car is now more eager to climb up speeds. Refinement at higher RPMs is also better. 0-100kmph must be better by at least 2 seconds.

9. Steering feels much much better than it used to be. Almost perfectly weighed now. I think shoulders will no more hurt after long jaunts.

10. I always had an apprehension on the longevity of the car's interiors, but now the car looks tightly screwed in and out. The solidity has gotten better, car should last a long time.

Punto, as a whole package, looks a lot more complete now. I always felt that it is the best diesel hatch in the country. With all these changes, it has raised the bar to an all together new level.

For those who are looking for a hatchback, it's time you seriously consider the Punto now. Except for resale, it almost ticks all the boxes now.
CliffHanger is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th November 2011, 23:12   #4001
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Also make sure you have dedicated SAs in A$$ as well.
TAFE Reach, Chennai and VST Motors, Chennai have dedicated bays, dedicated technicians for Fiat and SA's. I service my vehicle at TAFE and I know about it .
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2011, 09:04   #4002
Senior - BHPian

Guys, are these changes for the 75 hp only or for the 90 hp as well. I have a Jan 2011 90 HP.

Can i get these changes on my car as well, particularly the performance improvement? I guess changing gear ratios wont be possible but if its a simple retuning of the ECU, then i guess it must be possible at the A.S.S.
Old 6th November 2011, 09:13   #4003
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Guys, are these changes for the 75 hp only or for the 90 hp as well. I have a Jan 2011 90 HP.

Can i get these changes on my car as well, particularly the performance improvement? I guess changing gear ratios wont be possible but if its a simple retuning of the ECU, then i guess it must be possible at the A.S.S.
The ECU remap wont help changing the gear ratios. The Gear Box has to be changed with the new spec one. Wondering have they got the European gearbox instead of the existing C510 one.

Anyways, if the changes are for better, then be it. But its really appalling to see the sales numbers for FIAT month on month
Old 6th November 2011, 18:20   #4004
BHPian

Fellow BHPians,

How different is it to talk on a speakerphone or talking to a co-passenger?

Should the driver take up "mounvrath"? What about drivers who take a swig of water when they are driving? Will they bring in a law to empty bottles before driving?

Is it not time to mend the rules? I really hope someone sensible in the authority will take a re-look at the CMVR.

Its the onus of the driver to use his better judgement for a safe drive, and ensure that no harm befalls the occupants and people outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrman View Post
Are you sure its that way? AFAIK, the driver is supposed to have his phone SWITCHED OFF irrespective of any number of passengers because if the co-passenger answers the phone for him and he (driver) speaks on handsfree / loudspeaker, it still would account to talking on phone while driving. Wouldn't it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
PS. I drove the Ikon TDCi and Punto MJD back to back. The Ikon seems to be traveling really fast only at 60kmph but in case of the Punto you feel the car is crawling while the speedo shows 60.
Bingo - this is what I too felt when I drove the Punto - It appears to be sedate, but its just the perception we get. I was doing in 90 in 4th gear and it felt like 60 - it masks its speed very well indeed!

I drive in my Indica Xeta at 140 and it feels edgy - Punto does not.

The build, the weight and the suspension are such that u feel comfortable even in high speeds and think the car is slow / underpowered.

Like the experts here have said - this chassis / suspension setup craves for more power!

Last edited by GTO : 12th November 2011 at 12:42. Reason: Please use the EDIT or Multi-Quote Button instead of typing back to back posts
Old 6th November 2011, 19:57   #4005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger
We got delivery of our 90HP about a month back. Haven't driven it much yet but one thing its for sure, the 1st gear is like non-existent. Very poor, no use even if car is slightly in motion IMO. But otherwise I like the car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks