Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2011, 22:16   #3976
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Is this a Scoop or Are you suggesting Fiat to offer this??
its a brazilian punto already selling there like hot cake
Old 30th October 2011, 23:03   #3977
Senior - BHPian

Stumbled upon this pic on flickr.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-5732380733_44b8fe6a30_z.jpg  

sidindica is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2011, 23:12   #3978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Some people might not have really experienced the benefit of the 1st and 2nd short gears on punto and linea.

i have experienced it in the extremely steep Oooty ghats while travelling from bandipur.

My linea was fully loaded with luggage and with AC on. there was a swift dezire ahead of me and i was not able to overtake it as there was no space at all.

the issue was i was able to pull in 2nd and 3rd gear. but on hairpin bend i was quickly downshifting to 2nd and linea was immediately jumping ahead.

but the dezire was not pulling at all and it was becoming dead slow on the bends and due to this i had to hit brakes and shift to 1st

after 4-5 turns i lost my patience and i blasted with full horn and flashing my lights to stop the dezire. the owner was damn angry due to this act of mine.

i told him to shift way before the turn and not near the hairpin bend.
then he told me that he is continously driving in 1st and 2nd gear only.

he told me that as soon as he shifted to 2nd the engine was dying and on 1st it was revving high. I smiled and said sorry to him and requested him to let me go ahead and move his car a bit on the left. i had to request him as i was asking him to take his car off the road

i went ahead and i loved the way linea zoomed ahead in 2nd gear.

i must say its a smart engineering by fiat considering the cars weight.

with a swift type gearing - no way a linea with 1290 kgs can climb a ghat like ooty.
Amit, I fully agree with you. Just 2 weeks back I did Masinagudi-Ooty section in my Linea. The ghat section was extremely steep and my Linea handled it with ease.

BTW, is your Linea's make is of before Mid-2010? The current version of the Linea MJD weighs 1210 Kgs.
Old 30th October 2011, 23:27   #3979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Amit, I fully agree with you. Just 2 weeks back I did Masinagudi-Ooty section in my Linea. The ghat section was extremely steep and my Linea handled it with ease.

BTW, is your Linea's make is of before Mid-2010? The current version of the Linea MJD weighs 1210 Kgs.
mine is dec 2010, but once i had taken it over a electronic weigh bridge and the weight was around 1280 - off course without me in it.
Old 30th October 2011, 23:29   #3980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
mine is dec 2010, but once i had taken it over a electronic weigh bridge and the weight was around 1280 - off course without me in it.
This is really interesting. What I know is that both Punto and Linea went for a weight reduction from July 2010. What does your manual say on the Kerb Weight?
Old 31st October 2011, 08:47   #3981
BHPian

One more glowing tribute to the considerate engineering that has gone into fiat cars, keeping adequate gearing ratios between first and second .Fiat bashers take note and think before passing any judgement.
One thing more ,half baked prognosis and cooked horror stories do much harm to the fiat cause,and they too are responsible for it by neglecting the *** they are like killing the product

Last edited by blueblooded : 31st October 2011 at 09:04.
Old 31st October 2011, 12:08   #3982
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg
Some people might not have really experienced the benefit of the 1st and 2nd short gears on punto and linea.

i have experienced it in the extremely steep Oooty ghats while travelling from bandipur.

My linea was fully loaded with luggage and with AC on. there was a swift dezire ahead of me and i was not able to overtake it as there was no space at all.

the issue was i was able to pull in 2nd and 3rd gear. but on hairpin bend i was quickly downshifting to 2nd and linea was immediately jumping ahead.

but the dezire was not pulling at all and it was becoming dead slow on the bends and due to this i had to hit brakes and shift to 1st

after 4-5 turns i lost my patience and i blasted with full horn and flashing my lights to stop the dezire. the owner was damn angry due to this act of mine.

i told him to shift way before the turn and not near the hairpin bend.
then he told me that he is continously driving in 1st and 2nd gear only.

he told me that as soon as he shifted to 2nd the engine was dying and on 1st it was revving high. I smiled and said sorry to him and requested him to let me go ahead and move his car a bit on the left. i had to request him as i was asking him to take his car off the road

i went ahead and i loved the way linea zoomed ahead in 2nd gear.

with a swift type gearing - no way a linea with 1290 kgs can climb a ghat like ooty.
Its not the gears ratio s, but also the peak torque for fiat and others are different..fiat comes at 1750 rpm..hence one can lug the engine better.
Old 31st October 2011, 14:23   #3983
BHPian

Quote:

Precisely my observation. That those short gears make sense, is evident with the kind of drivability you achieve in steep winding ghat roads. This is what I meant by "makes mockery of it's own weight".
Old 31st October 2011, 18:31   #3984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
While I wont comment on outright 0-100 acceleration on GP 90, the i20 is still quick on straight line and so is swift, which is actually closer since the later punto 90s have a weight reduction of like 30-35 odd Kgs.
Does anyone here is sure as to what could be the exact kerb weight of a 2011 manufactured 90 HP Grande Punto, the website claims (Dedicated Grande Punto website) the kerb weight to be 1190Kgs, but the marketing material (manual - with photos and spec) claims the 90HP's weight to be 1144Kg only. Was this the weight reduction you were talking about? But here the difference is more than 35 Kg.

Which one is correct. Some one help us sort this ambiguity of such a critical info, well thanks in advance?

2. Is the Punto 90HP A/c is powerful compared to Ford Figo TDCI's A/c.
Old 31st October 2011, 22:31   #3985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9
Yes the AC is as good as Figo's AC. I have 76Bhp EPack and it's definitely a chiller. 23degrees set on ACC will keep the cabin cool when the outside temperature is 34degrees.
Old 31st October 2011, 22:53   #3986
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkg77

Yes the AC is as good as Figo's AC. I have 76Bhp EPack and it's definitely a chiller. 23degrees set on ACC will keep the cabin cool when the outside temperature is 34degrees.
I can vouch that the ac has got better but I would not dare say that the AC is better than the one on figo which is more of a cold storage that an air conditioner.
I am talking about the 76bhp 2011 punto.

Last edited by figo_mba : 31st October 2011 at 22:57.
Old 31st October 2011, 23:03   #3987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba

I can vouch that the ac has got better but I would not dare say that the AC is better than the one on figo which is more of a cold storage that an air conditioner.
I am talking about the 76bhp 2011 punto.
I never said it is better than Figo. But Punto's AC is very much functional and usable. It has always kept the cabin cool during the hot summer at South India.

Last edited by nkg77 : 31st October 2011 at 23:07.
Old 31st October 2011, 23:18   #3988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkg77

I never said it is better than Figo, but Punto's AC is very much functional and usable.
I think all AC cars have functional ACs that cool the cabin sooner or later and thats why we call them AC cars.
please define usable because 23C temp is definitely not why I need the AC for.
Again even Automatic climate control requires some amount of adjusting on a hot day meaning you put it at a lower temp and as cabin temp reduces you get you your comfort zone by adjusting the temp.

Last edited by figo_mba : 31st October 2011 at 23:20.
Old 31st October 2011, 23:22   #3989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9 View Post
Does anyone here is sure as to what could be the exact kerb weight of a 2011 manufactured 90 HP Grande Punto, the website claims (Dedicated Grande Punto website) the kerb weight to be 1190Kgs, but the marketing material (manual - with photos and spec) claims the 90HP's weight to be 1144Kg only. Was this the weight reduction you were talking about? But here the difference is more than 35 Kg.

Which one is correct. Some one help us sort this ambiguity of such a critical info, well thanks in advance?

Punto 90 HP weighs 1144 Kgs. And the 75HP weighs 1130 Kgs.

Figo's AC is the best in a hatchback. The car cools very fast. But, there is not Climate control available with Figo. AC in Punto 90HP is good. You will definitely appreciate the Climate Control once you get used to it.
Old 1st November 2011, 14:24   #3990
BHPian

hello all ! I have a issue with my 2 year+ old fiat punto MJD . After the 2 year & 3rd free service my Punto started to go straight only when i had the wheel turned to the left BUT it didnt not pull to any side even when i had my hands off the wheel . Concerned about the capabilities of the authorized SC , i took the car to a tyre and wheel alignment center . And just as I suspected TOE values of the front of my car was messed up badly . The car seemed to run fine for a few weeks but soon it started to pull to the right badly at high speed . I took it took to the alinment centre as he had promised a 3000km warranty , but to my surprise the center reports that the alinment is perfect ! . I am really at wits end over this as the car is proving to be dangerous to drive at 3-digit speeds. What should I do ? Fellow punto owner and Member suggested that some alignment centers have the steering aliment value of a international punto and that could be messing with the handling .
Should i take it to the service centre for the alignment or would it be better for me to have it aligned at the different center ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks