Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2011, 17:09   #3691
BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

We finally booked the Punto, I have put the price in New Car Price thread here,
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2514524

Can you please see and advice if price seems okay or I should haggle further?
Old 21st September 2011, 17:29   #3692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
Thanks for the replies and guiding me in the right direction. Punto looks exciting, though quite a bit more expensive.
Am arranging for TD's tomorrow and then we will take the final call. Hope the 1.3 Emotion or 1.3 Emotion pack is the one which is worth. Am bit concerned about engine noise level. Hopefully won't be too much of a worry.
If you have already decided on buying the Punto, then IMO go for the Emotion Pack. Additional features are "well worth the extra paid".

But when comparing with the Figo, keep an eye on the following,
1. Plastic quality is downright absurd on the punto.
2. Overall less space in cabin, even the front seal leg space is less due to the huge protruding dash.
3. Rear and boot space is better in the figo.
4. Missing power windows for rear passengers in the Figo.
5. Figo has slightly better ergonomics.
6. Figo is more fuel efficient.
Old 21st September 2011, 18:44   #3693
Senior - BHPian

Are 'Strut Elastic Pads' covered under extended warranty?

Presently, our Fiat GP(which has 42.xx k kms on odo) is at the authorized service centre for fixing an metal-on-metal noise which comes with steering the car to either sides. The service people says they need to replace the 'Strut Elastic Pads' which costs ~ Rs 6000
Old 21st September 2011, 19:00   #3694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_myth
a_myth, what made you say this? I am amazed since you own a Punto. And which ever ownership review that I have come across, FE is one area where the GP outscores the Figo.

Edit: But, the Team-BHP test-drive reports seem to agree with you. Now, I am baffled.
1.4 D : 14.4 (City) / 18.5 (Highway)
1.3 D : 13.6 (City) / 17.1 (Highway)

Last edited by deetjohn : 21st September 2011 at 19:03. Reason: Adding a sentence.
Old 21st September 2011, 19:47   #3695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class

Presently, our Fiat GP(which has 42.xx k kms on odo) is at the authorized service centre for fixing an metal-on-metal noise which comes with steering the car to either sides. The service people says they need to replace the 'Strut Elastic Pads' which costs ~ Rs 6000
I have changed it under warranty before 5 months. On steer the wheel either side, we can hear a grinding noise. Is it right in your case?
aks_karthik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2011, 19:48   #3696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn

a_myth, what made you say this? I am amazed since you own a Punto. And which ever ownership review that I have come across, FE is one area where the GP outscores the Figo.

Edit: But, the Team-BHP test-drive reports seem to agree with you. Now, I am baffled.
On highway my Punto gives me 20kmpl consistently if driven below 90km/hr and 15.5 in cities. Mileage wise it's very similar to Figo.
Old 21st September 2011, 20:00   #3697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post

i get 15-16 kmpl consistently in the city in heavy traffic
19-20 kmpl consistently on highways depending on speeds

EDIT : i have a punto MJD
Old 21st September 2011, 20:55   #3698
BHPian

Quote:

I beg to differ with the numbers, my MJD never gave less than 19kmpl in City, not less than 22 on highway, I rarely cross 110kmph on highway.
Old 21st September 2011, 21:10   #3699
BHPian

Quote:

John,

I have been using the Punto for more than two years now. I get consistently @20 kms/lit overall with A/c. Although all will agree it is a very good figure, but somehow i feel its more to do with my "light foot" driving habits.

I have driven my friends' Figo and a Swift too. Somehow i tend to average around 2 kms/lit MORE in both these cars. I am not sure if my Punto's 195/60 R15 are responsible for the slight dip in efficiency figures.

Note: Going thru all the Diesel cars in the segment, If I were to buy a car now, I would give serious thoughts to the New SWIFT. Although I dont exactly like the refreshed looks especially the rear, the overall package is really very hard to ignore.
Old 21st September 2011, 21:52   #3700
Senior - BHPian

^^
Thanks Guys for the FE figures. Those are some really impressive numbers there.

a_myth, I am not looking to buy either the GP or the Figo. My impression was that the MJD is more fuel efficient than the Duratorq. Were your friends' Swift & Figo running on 165 & 175 respectively? That will certainly impact the FE to some degree.

Edit: And in any case, with the Swift, I can understand the higher average when compared to the GP. Its almost the same engine with higher gears ratios and a lighter body. But the Figo baffles me still.

Wonder what will you able to pull from the FE king, the Ikon TDCi.

Last edited by deetjohn : 21st September 2011 at 22:11. Reason: Adding the sentence
Old 22nd September 2011, 01:03   #3701
BHPian

Quote:

lucky your strut pads lasted so long,had mine changed on the right for similar issue at first service,saw the pad and didnt see anything wrong in first place.lately has reappeared on opposite side though infrequently.guess will have to replace them too.they are covered under warranty for first four years.Now after fading brakepads, this? god knows when Fiat will get their act right?
aditya116 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2011, 08:56   #3702
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
Actually Fabia is probably the most spacious hatch ( except for jazz?). It has also the best designed cabin in all aspects IMO. I can't comment on the engine as I have not driven the new 1.2 version. The only negatives are the spare costs and horror tales of customer service. Even though the older diesel engine used to make so much noise outside, it was muted to a large extent inside. I believe a lot of those nice features are being skipped now with price cuts and repositioning of the car itself in the market.
who said that Fabia is most spacious Hatch today . was it a joke or what .. go head to New vista . a vista can swallow a whole fabia any day. pls Don;t spread wrong info .

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_myth View Post
If you have already decided on buying the Punto, then IMO go for the Emotion Pack. Additional features are "well worth the extra paid".

2. Overall less space in cabin, even the front seal leg space is less due to the huge protruding dash.
1) I disagree here. you need to see the plastics in 2011 punto;s before commenting . calling it absurd is a over reaction IMO

2) depends on person to person . tall people will have problem in both . I am 5.7" and never found my knees touching dashboard so far. Even my dad is 6 " and he never touches his knees with dashboard.

3) I diagree here again . boot space is allmost equal on both . figo has just 4 ltrs more but punto scores here with rear folding seat, which are not an option in figo.

6 ) In fuel efficiency also, both are equal but on highways punto scores any day. I am getting a FE of 18 + in my highway jaunts. remember mine one still hasn 't gone for first service .it will improve further after a engine oil change at first service.

And you forget the pre - historic engine that ford has thrown at most fast growing market in the world .

Last edited by GTO : 25th September 2011 at 23:08. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 22nd September 2011, 09:46   #3703
Senior - BHPian

Punto now starts from 3.87 lacs? I saw a hoading a while ago! I am sure its the basic "active" variant, but still!
Old 22nd September 2011, 09:48   #3704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
who said that Fabia is most spacious Hatch today . was it a joke or what .. go head to New vista . a vista can swallow a whole fabia any day. pls Don;t spread wrong info .
Okay, My bad ! Somehow I never brought Vista into comparison. I guess I was thinking only about at the supposedly premium hatches.
Old 22nd September 2011, 09:57   #3705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_myth View Post

We have already given the booking amount. And yes, we have booked the Emotion Pack 1.3

Most Viewed