Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2011, 07:21   #3676
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya116
The punto would fit your bill to the T.it is the most composed hatch you can drive on the highway.
======why not have a look at fabia diesel for that matter?
It seems NHV has improved in 2011 models. Did not consider Fabia diesel due to smaller engine.
So it the Fabia diesel better than or equal to Punto?
Old 20th September 2011, 08:48   #3677
BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Oh dear lord. Good that no fatalities.

Is the car totaled? I think it would be after those rolls but still hoping its not.
I remember your posts on your car.
Thanks a lot for your concern ,its amazing car came out with minimal damage ,only the rear bumper ,rear glass shield and one tyre have been busted .
The car came to service centre on its own after kid bro called the Road side assistance who told him press some button under the bonnet to start the stalled engine.
We are yet to get the estimates .
But I would add once more that , those people who are still unsure about what car to buy should go for it with bating eyelids just for the sake of its safety credentials
regards
Praveen
Old 20th September 2011, 08:50   #3678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I've got a quote of 8.02 lakhs for the punto after the free insurance and the gift cheque from Prerana motors in Bangalore. Is it the nest or is there any scope for reducing it further.
Concorde quoted higher and said no discounts other than 8.03, KHT is still to get back since yesterday!
which variant is this ? what is the value for gift cheque?
Old 20th September 2011, 09:52   #3679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
You find your punto to be noisy? I find my 90 hp to be very quiet. Infact quieter than the Figo, Swift & almost the same as i20 CRDi.

Even outside noise is very less in the cabin. Overall, I find the insulation & NVH levels to be impressive.

EDIT:

ok, now i understood, mine is a Jan 2011 make.

I agree about the AC. Has fit & finish of plastics & door beadings improved too?

I am asking this because many complain about poor fit & finish in the Punto & door beadings regularly coming off. Touch wood, my car is behaving perfectly fine, except for glove box cover having a slight gap which I noticed is a generic issue.
Typically its not a problem within the city, it was a little irritating at highway speeds. A friend of mine bought a punto recently and claimed that A/C is really good. Now I know why. Good to know that these things have improved, though I wish I had bought the 2011 model just for the NVH level.
Old 20th September 2011, 11:40   #3680
BANNED

Guys have few queries wrt to my Punto emotion. car is 4 months old.Pls help

1 ) I have got some minor scratches, thanks to numerous bikers / rickshaw wallah 's on road . I have a turtle rubbing compound . is it recommended to get rid of those scratches using this rubbing compound. if yes, what kind of close shall i use to apply .

2 ) during cold starts punto emits a bit of black smoke . is this normal. off course it settles to normal after say 10-15 seconds . car is still waiting for first service. Dad says this is normal with diesels. i am not sure .

3 ) how to get rid of sticky dust. don 't know why but dust gets pasted on car as it some body has applied glue. has to use shampoo Y'day and spend all most 1 hours cleaning the car with shampoo, than only it got away. what can be done to get rid of this sticky dust. i just don;t want it to settle on first hand.

Another thing is that i am still not used to left hand stalk;s specially wrt to the setting used to dip the head lamps and all . The light throw is horrible so bulb change is warranted for sure . what are the recommendation for the same ,i has like to avoid any addition of new relays etc . All i want is good long throw of light .

Too many questions but pls help .
Old 20th September 2011, 11:53   #3681
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
1 ) I have got some minor scratches, thanks to numerous bikers / rickshaw wallah 's on road . I have a turtle rubbing compound . is it recommended to get rid of those scratches using this rubbing compound. if yes, what kind of close shall i use to apply .
Live with them. Get used to it. Rubbing compounds will take away a little bit of clear coat every time you use them. Getting rid of scratches once does not means that you wont get anymore. So steel yourself up and let your car get battle scarred.

Quote:
2 ) during cold starts punto emits a bit of black smoke . is this normal. off course it settles to normal after say 10-15 seconds . car is still waiting for first service. Dad says this is normal with diesels. i am not sure .
Not sure on this. But interested to know who u manage to see smoke coming from tail pipe when you are in driver seat.

Quote:
3 ) how to get rid of sticky dust. don 't know why but dust gets pasted on car as it some body has applied glue. has to use shampoo Y'day and spend all most 1 hours cleaning the car with shampoo, than only it got away. what can be done to get rid of this sticky dust. i just don;t want it to settle on first hand.
Do apply turtle wax. Hard wax. Clean the car. Then apply it. Leave it to dry. Then buff it using soft cloth.
If that is too much of a chore then use turtle shampoo which has wax mixed in it.

Quote:
Another thing is that i am still not used to left hand stalk;s specially wrt to the setting used to dip the head lamps and all . The light throw is horrible so bulb change is warranted for sure . what are the recommendation for the same ,i has like to avoid any addition of new relays etc . All i want is good long throw of light .
Pull the left stalk to dip it. Pull it again to put light on high beam.
Asdon got the lights changed. I guess he will be best to reply.
download2live is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2011, 12:06   #3682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
which variant is this ? what is the value for gift cheque?
Oops my bad! It is the Punto 90HP and the value of gift cheque is 10k
Old 20th September 2011, 12:06   #3683
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Live with them. Get used to it. Rubbing compounds will take away a little bit of clear coat every time you use them. Getting rid of scratches once does not means that you wont get anymore. So steel yourself up and let your car get battle scarred.

point noted sir. but somehow daily i see them & feel guilty .will try to stick to your advice though. need to get my self steel belted. In nutshell don;t use rubbing compound.

Not sure on this. But interested to know who u manage to see smoke coming from tail pipe when you are in driver seat.

noticed it this Sunday when dad was in drivers seat and i was helping him reverse the car in tight spot.

Do apply turtle wax. Hard wax. Clean the car. Then apply it. Leave it to dry. Then buff it using soft cloth.
If that is too much of a chore then use turtle shampoo which has wax mixed in it.

I have a colonite wax polish .is it recommended. if yes what;s the way to apply it . Else will buy turtle wax. currently using a shampoo which i picked up from my recent trip to KL .

Pull the left stalk to dip it. Pull it again to put light on high beam.
Asdon got the lights changed. I guess he will be best to reply.
thanks for that . I guess it;s all about getting used to thing.

Pls find my answers in bold.
Old 20th September 2011, 23:42   #3684
BHPian

Quote:
It seems NHV has improved in 2011 models. Did not consider Fabia diesel due to smaller engine.
So it the Fabia diesel better than or equal to Punto?
jesrani, the 3 pot is as good as punto but slickest gearbox makes it better to drive.short initial gears on punto make it a slouch.Punto will perform faster on part throttle and climbs.fabia has lot more space and quality. Go for it if you can live with skoda aftersales and pricier parts.NVH though is similar on account of good work by skoda in spite of 3 pots.Handling and ride is 95% that of FIAT.
Old 21st September 2011, 07:14   #3685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya116
jesrani, the 3 pot is as good as punto but slickest gearbox makes it better to drive.short initial gears on punto make it a slouch.Punto will perform faster on part throttle and climbs.fabia has lot more space and quality. Go for it if you can live with skoda aftersales and pricier parts.NVH though is similar on account of good work by skoda in spite of 3 pots.Handling and ride is 95% that of FIAT.
My dad took Td of the Punto yesterday and he liked it. Will be finalising that most probably
Old 21st September 2011, 08:55   #3686
BANNED

I beg to differ with above ( 3 pot as good as multijet) . Punto Might be sluggish in first 2 gears but than afterwards it can match anybody . moreover you need to run in the engine for first 5-7 K . a engine oil change and all the NVH goes for toss. acceleration becomes more smooth as the engine opens up. mine one is in run in period and after 3 K Kms , i can definitely feel ;lesser noise inside cabin. remember i still has;t gone for first service.

As for Space goes, can ;t say much as has n 't seen fabia but with those rear folding split seat , it ;s decent for punto. even with rear seat in place also, boot space is enough for short weekend trips or airport transfers. it easily swallow the whole luggage of 2 person ;s .

Last edited by .sushilkumar : 21st September 2011 at 08:57.
Old 21st September 2011, 11:40   #3687
BHPian

Quote:
I beg to differ with above ( 3 pot as good as multijet) . Punto Might be sluggish in first 2 gears but than afterwards it can match anybody . moreover you need to run in the engine for first 5-7 K . a engine oil change and all the NVH goes for toss. acceleration becomes more smooth as the engine opens up. mine one is in run in period and after 3 K Kms , i can definitely feel ;lesser noise inside cabin. remember i still has;t gone for first service.

As for Space goes, can ;t say much as has n 't seen fabia but with those rear folding split seat , it ;s decent for punto. even with rear seat in place also, boot space is enough for short weekend trips or airport transfers. it easily swallow the whole luggage of 2 person ;s .
We are definitely finalizing the Punto as it seems to be a good car, fits all requirements. I think the Fabia diesel engine may not be as good, not sure though, otherwise the Fabia is good too, lots of space and excellent boot.
Old 21st September 2011, 12:04   #3688
BHPian

Quote:

Actually Fabia is probably the most spacious hatch ( except for jazz?). It has also the best designed cabin in all aspects IMO. I can't comment on the engine as I have not driven the new 1.2 version. The only negatives are the spare costs and horror tales of customer service. Even though the older diesel engine used to make so much noise outside, it was muted to a large extent inside. I believe a lot of those nice features are being skipped now with price cuts and repositioning of the car itself in the market.
Old 21st September 2011, 13:49   #3689
BHPian

After, I guess a decade, Fiat India has finally launched a full fledged TVC for the Diwali season. Prices start from Rs 3.87 lakhs? How come?

Old 21st September 2011, 14:37   #3690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_maven View Post
I own Fiat Punto MJD. I covered 17k (in two years), gave my car for 3rd free service (2nd year) to Malik Cars, Hyderabad.

Service adviser gave me quotation of 10.5k for service. Is this acceptable cost for 3rd service of Punto.

Here is the rough breakup:

engine oil - 1700
oi filter - 350
fuel filter (with sensors) - 2000
A/C filter - 50
air filter - 300
gear oil - 1000
coolant - 1500
break oil - 400
brake pads - 2800
wheel alignment/wheel balancing: 650

PS.
I didnt find a thread which has information about service cost of Punto. Is it a good idea to start a separate thread to track how much each person has spend on their Punto service?
I got car back from service after 2-days. The bill is ~7500/- (they didnt change brake pads, wheel alignment not done).

I observed that coolant is not up to max mark (after 100kms after the service), it was below min-level - went to workshop again after 2-days, they topped coolant. He said, this could be possible due to 'air' in coolant unit.

Engine oil color is black. SA said, as this is diesel car, engine oil turns black even after few kms ride. Is this possible?

My car was not revving freely (after service), when I took the car to workshop - the airflow (air intake) pipe was not connected to engine; after connecting the pipe to engine, it is now somewhat behaving normally.

Few questions:
1. What could be the reasons for excessive coolant oil consumption (btw, I didnt check the engine oil level when I took delivery).
2. Engine oil turned black (after 2-days of usage). Is this okay?
3. What is the use of airflow pipe and damages that could happen if that pipe is not connected to engine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks