Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2024, 22:26   #121
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Roxx Review

It will surely set the sales chart on fire for Mahindra. However, following are the 2 things they could have done better.

1. They should have changed the AC vents on this heavily loaded ROXX. I have changed my AC vents on my Thar already 5 times under warranty because of the breakage of the control switch. If they spend 1000 CR on the design of this new ROXX, why can't they find a quality AC vent is beyond my understanding.

2. All these glitz and galmour will fade away for the white interiors when you start using this ROXX on a day today basis. Maintenance will be a total disaster for those folks who use it daily. I can't think of my kids, friends or parents spilling their stuff inside while on a trip. In my opinion, they should have offered a darker interior option at-least in 4x4 versions.

Apart from these 2 points, M&M has got everything correct with this SUV for aspiring Indian customers. If they manage to export it to other countries, this will create a cult following (economy version of wrangler) like Royal Enfield done with their bikes globally.
highwaypatrol is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th August 2024, 22:29   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRSriram View Post
Whether power/weight ratio will be better in MT and also considering maintenence of AT gear box in long run.
Torque converter used to be a kill-joy but now with computer controlled lockup clutches , it's the best transmission out there for vehicles in general. With normal use all you need would be an ATF + filter change at a certain interval in terms of maintenance.

I do have to mention that Mahindra's work in getting their engines and transmission to work together is top class. So the same transmission won't work with such finesse in all vehicles.

Here is a nice video explaining the benefits of such type of transmission and why it would perform so effortless.

Kosfactor is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 18th August 2024, 23:31   #123
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely great launch. Super loaded and perfect to the T!
The only thing is that all those irritable parts. The front grill. The edge above the rear door. The rear door vertical handle. The kink of the C pillar, the triangular glass at the rear and the weird design in the fiber back is all to differentiate it from the wrangler from each side.

So when the case gets to the court they'll evaluate each side for it's similarity with the wrangler and this is how mahindra will differentiate.
They already have exports in their targets. Afterall they'll make a ton more money exporting than sell in India. Great for us. We get the better build quality and international levels of fit and finish. As well as reliability due to constant recalls and updating of the vehicle components.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 18th August 2024 at 23:33.
navpreet318 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th August 2024, 01:20   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
@All - keep posting questions here, would love to hear em and respond back in more details. Just quote me please, so that I do not miss em.
Do we know which grade of fuel the 2L petrol engine needs in the 175 HP / 380 NM 2WD AT spec?

Is it normal petrol or 95 RON?
GoBlue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2024, 01:48   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
The ScorpioN Diesel 4x4 and the Thar Roxx Diesel 4x4 ...

I decided to do a side-by-side comparison of these two SUV variants to see the relative pros and cons of each.
The Roxx 4x4 has ELD which is even better than an MLD.

Sadly, M&M has silently deleted the MLD in the ScorpioN 4x4 and now the 4x4 variants have just BLD
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2024, 08:48   #126
BHPian

As I casually mentioned selling our 2022 3 door petrol AT to buy the 5dr the immediate reaction of my 13yo daughter was “No way we’re doing this “. Apparently both my daughters love the 3dr styling way over anything else.
bhargav_dave is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2024, 09:03   #127
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhargav_dave View Post
As I casually mentioned selling our 2022 3 door petrol AT to buy the 5dr the immediate reaction of my 13yo daughter was “No way we’re doing this “. Apparently both my daughters love the 3dr styling way over anything else.
Kids love roller-coaster ride plus they dont have problems sitting at the rear...
Look-wise 3 door still has it , but the new Thar is bigger better and not such a bad looker

Last edited by vij : 19th August 2024 at 09:07.
vij is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2024, 09:23   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
The ScorpioN Diesel 4x4 and the Thar Roxx Diesel 4x4 have so many similarities - being based on very similar body-on-frame platforms, offering a high level of off-road capability, decent economy for the size and space, and unstressed power from big diesel
This is helpful.

I couldn't find the exact Approach, Departure and breakover angle of ScorpioN but Thar has better numbers for sure.

Even though ScorpioN 4*4 is very capable, its let down by low GC, bad Approach & Departure angles. So for someone who needs little more Offroad oriented BOF SUV between these two, Thar Roxx will do better. Another point is Highway tyre of ScorpioN VS AT tyre in Roxx.

My view : If you don't need 7 seater, Roxx has slight edge over ScorpioN.
Kashi053 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2024, 09:40   #129
BHPian

Excellent review of an otherwise promising product, albeit with some quirky design choices like the grill, side profile and all white interiors.

Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-2024_mahindra_tharroxx_exterior_05.jpg

Wish it was like this instead!
Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-2024_mahindra_tharroxx_exterior_05-copy1.jpg
vikash49 is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 19th August 2024, 10:23   #130

As usual very detailed and fantastic review. Mahindra has nailed it again and again confused customer to choose from Thar Roxx and well-established products like XUV7OO and Scorpion N.

Last edited by Axe77 : 19th August 2024 at 10:28.
Born2Win is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2024, 10:31   #131
Senior - BHPian

I wonder what would be the FE of the 150 HP diesel manual. Any info on that?

I am a little bit interested in diesel manual one. If the FE is around 15-16 kmpl, I may buy one, in baser trims.
simplyself is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2024, 10:53   #132
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra and Mahindra has its ears to the ground and listening to what most car buyers want. They know that most buyers will never engage 4X4 and most of these vehicles will be used in the urban and on highways.

The SUV which was the defacto "off roader" does not offer 4X4 at launch. In comparison, when Mahindra launched the current edition of the Thar, 4 WD was standard. Insted you get a huge panoramic sun roof and large touch screens. The fact that the interiors are white may have come from the inputs received from their customer contacrt programmes. White interiors do look cool and make the interiors appear spacious but do require a lot more cleaning. The petrol variants do not offer 4 WD options. Probably with the automatic gear box, they want to avoid getting the label of the SUV being a gas guzzler. Removing 4 WD also helps them price the vehicle lower and stuff it with kit like ADAS, ventilated seats ( a must have in our hot climate ), 360 degree camera etc which most buyers favour.

The huge 19 inch alloys in an off road vehicle are a case of form over function. Again something the market seems to demand. A very large percentage of Thar buyers replace their OEM rims and tyres especually in North India.

What I like is the fact that it is 5 seater with good boot space which is so important in long trips . 4 WD options in petrol and in a greater number of variants will hopfully follow in the near future.

After waiting for a long time for the 5 door Thar, I replaced my Safari Storme with a Scorpio N last year. While I am very happy witht the SUV, had the Thar Roxx been available at that time, I would have in all probability gone for it. The classic design pulls at your heartstings like no other SUV. Now it is practical vehicle for daily office commute even as it will bring a smile to your face when you head out for that road trip t the hills or the desert. It now ticks nearly all the boxes and will find home in a lot of single car garages.

Last edited by rajneeesh : 19th August 2024 at 10:55.
rajneeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2024, 11:12   #133
BHPian

Rear disc brakes
- MX RWD Diesel/Petrol MT variants don't get it
- MX RWD Diesel AT variants don't get it
- MX RWD Petrol AT variants get it
- MX 4x4 Diesel MT variant gets it
- AX RWD Diesel/Petrol MT/AT variants get it
- AX 4x4 Diesel/Petrol MT/AT variants get it

IMO, rear disc brakes should have been standard on all variants . A car of such mammoth proportions and kerb weight needs all possible ways to bring it to a halt confidently. I am sure, rear drum brakes would also perform the said job, but still this aspect needs to be looked at while narrowing down the variant before booking. Also, to bear in mind, cheapest Diesel AT starts upwards of 21+ lacs OTR, which is devoid of rear disc brakes and also does not come with 172bhp and 370nm engine configuration. Let that sink in.

Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-capture1.png

Last edited by varunswnt : 19th August 2024 at 11:31.
varunswnt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2024, 11:16   #134
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit View Post
General understanding is, that powered seats just offer the same level of adjustment as the manual seats but electronically instead of mechanical lever, which feels cool and maybe convenient but does it also provide any additional seating comfort?
Main difference is precise adjustment is possible very easily with the electric controls. The lumbar seems to be much better designed to the 3 door for sure. Seat is a must have upgrade to be flicked from 5 to 3 door, but not sure if it will fit, plus having airbags going to make them costly for sure. Unless one finds one from second hand market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekdewanta View Post
You can imagine how raw and tough it could be.
Not gonna happen with current rules no way any manufacturer will be able to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogisays0909 View Post
The new Thar Roxx seems to be exciting, driving a 2009 Accord 2.4AT since 13+ years, would the ROXX Petrol AT AX7L be a perfect upgrade/replacement ? Or should I go for the Hycross/XUV700/Used Camry hybrid. Definitely whatever comes will stay for a decade +. Average yearly running 6000-8000 kilometers only, as my accord has hardly done 77,000 km as of date.
You are taking the selection too wide, logical upgrade would be Accord to Camry hybrid. But if you need the added GC and seating, then you need to look at XUV types. But if you have only 3 passenger to carry, want a rough and tough but comfortable vehicle you can definitely consider ROXX. Wait for test drives to open, then make a call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by argchoff View Post
Beautiful looking car, especially in white colour. How does the ride quality compare to that with Jeep compass.

I had test driven the 3 door thar and found it too bouncy even on smooth tar road. Would the ride quality be similar to the Scorpio N?
Ride is not as crisp as a Compass, especially the roll will be more due to the inherent difference in class of vehicles. But it is more spacious than a compass I feel, and definitely huge improvement over 3 door. Scorpio N like ride is what Aditya mentioned, who has experienced both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
The 5-door Thar is very appealing. Will just have to wait for Mahindra to iron out the inevitable niggles of their poor QC. I so wish they put some serious efforts in their QC and A.S.S to further bolster the customer confidence
To be honest this was one of the better off product that we got at launch without any apparent or annoying bugs. More over it is amalgamation of tried and tested parts and tech bin, so should be better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Have to say this - way to go moving the premium feel up, Mahindra!
100% target is upper middle class onwards small families who want style with comfort and versatility.

Quote:
But what's missing/ not to the mark are definitely not tempting me to swich - white interiors (Really? On a vehicle capable of serious off-roading? Why?!!),
100% agree to this, even for normal use, that shade is a pain for upkeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak10 View Post
Are the parts reusable between 5D and 3D ?
Most parts should be, except the ones which are designed with additional dimensions like length and width of the vehicle. Egs seat, door card etc am not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post
Reach adjustability for the steering is another important feature which is not provided by Mahindra. This could genuinely have a negative impact on whether people succeed in finding the right/comfortable driving position.
Yes this would help, I can confirm for people with heights ranging from 5-10" to 6-2" it was not really an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
1. They should have changed the AC vents on this heavily loaded ROXX. I have changed my AC vents on my Thar already 5 times under warranty because of the breakage of the control switch. If they spend 1000 CR on the design of this new ROXX, why can't they find a quality AC vent is beyond my understanding.

2. All these glitz and galmour will fade away for the white interiors when you start using this ROXX on a day today basis. Maintenance will be a total disaster for those folks who use it daily.
I hope the quality and design of 1 has changed behind the scenes, if not yes it is going to be disaster.

2 Mahindra please take note and release a Tan interior at the least!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post
Do we know which grade of fuel the 2L petrol engine needs in the 175 HP / 380 NM 2WD AT spec?
Normal petrol works fine, 95 might give a very marginal improvement in refinement and power.
Jaggu is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th August 2024, 11:51   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
Excellent review of an otherwise promising product, albeit with some quirky design choices like the grill, side profile and all white interiors.

Attachment 2643771

Wish it was like this instead!
Attachment 2643768
If it was like the one you photoshopped, M&M would be in the court led by Jeep, instead of launching it.
Vinod_nair is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks