Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2024, 16:29   #1051
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Roxx Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgt.v8 View Post
Has anyone got their refund back for amount that were deducted but payment status failed on 3rd October?

I just noticed that my booking disappeared from https://auto.mahindra.com/myaccount/view-all-bookings. I have sent email to bookingsupport and waiting for reply from them. The assigned SA mentioned in booking docket as usual is not picking the call.
Nope, I got charged thrice for two bookings and don't see the refund hitting my statement as on today. Have spoken to the customer care and sent a mail but waiting for their response.
Old 15th October 2024, 19:08   #1052
Bit
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTON-METERS View Post
Soon after, the first owners start reporting issues, usually related to electronics, cabin noises they can't quite pinpoint, or grinding sounds.

To their credit, Mahindra does listen to feedback and begins addressing these issues by the second batch, gradually ironing out the kinks and delivering the refinement the vehicle should’ve had from the start.
Yet people willingly go to extra mile, lose their sleep, and use all kinds of "jugaads" just to get the opportunity of being in the "Guinea pig" batch!

I wonder if India's middle class's greed of "being first" trumps over the lifetime peace of receiving a perfect product?

Last edited by Bit : 15th October 2024 at 19:09.
Bit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2024, 19:45   #1053

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I went to the showroom where I had made the booking and did a test drive. It's a well-built Mahindra. Things we touch and feel are superior over the Thar. However, not everyone was interested in this car. There were people in the showroom looking at the Scorpio and XUV and not comparing or looking at the Roxx. From the front, the differentiators between the Thar and Roxx are few, and seeing the number of modified Thars, one can easily overlook the front of the Roxx as another Thar.

I have not yet cancelled the booking, but I am not sure if I will be going ahead.
I am exactly in the same dilemma - had given the booking amount for the ROXX without the test drive for MX5 Diesel. Took a test drive on Sunday evening and came back totally disappointed - the rear jumps like its not a part of the vehicle. Got jittery taking it beyond 90 Kmph. Found the wheel well quite congested (even from a Scross perspective) ! Absence of a dead pedal was sorely missed in the MX5. The sales advisor was very knowledgeable (Koncept, Sohna Road, Gurgaon) - kudos for answering every query !

The view was superb from behind the wheel and the vehicle looks absolutely killer. All I needed was a texas cowboy hat, an ear stud, couple of tattoos, sleeveless t shirt and I was good to go
Missus wouldn't have approved though.

Don't totally blame the vehicle as I have been a hatchback boy all my life (from 800>Zen>Swift>Figo>Scross). The finesse wasn't simply there and yes you're absolutely right - a lot of people were checking alternates especially the ScorpioN and the XUV700.

Don't really know what to do with the ROXX booking - they're offering me a vehicle upfront. Thinking of moving to the XUV700 AX5. Need some advise here please.

Last edited by KarthikK : 15th October 2024 at 20:20. Reason: Trimmed the quoted post to the relevant portions for better readability
roadscorpio is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th October 2024, 20:02   #1054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit View Post
Yet people willingly go to extra mile, lose their sleep, and use all kinds of "jugaads" just to get the opportunity of being in the "Guinea pig" batch!
I won’t count it as a fault the underlying approach behaviour is to be attributed to it. Struggle to get the benefits, schemes, Scooter allotments, Car Allotments during quota era and various other basics in life. It has been ingrained if you can get early or make your way through. Also, I see no harm in it; it is Butter vs Gun debate no one side is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anish41 View Post
Yes, this booking system is botched up but do you guys also feel that the booking amount for a 20-25 lakh rupee vehicle should be close to 1 lakh.
Their is a reason Bata prices their products at xy.99 or some companies which provide Free Shipping if you add Items worth XYZ amount and all their products are so priced that you will shoot XYZ amount by at least iNR 200 if not more.

A lot of marketing research , user patterns, financial decisions are factored in. For example making it 1L will definitely reduce the number of bookings but then that loss would be greater than the revenue earned by keeping it at 21k.

Also, it allows for people to block / book a product at a lower price without impacting much of their financials and once people have that flexibility it percolates a feel good factor, given the company is able to provide a product which retains its value and gives good Re-Sale.

Very few Models are able to do that, Mahindra is able to give for all of its products globally. Which speaks volumes about the dedication.

I am in no way fan boy, they have long way to go to adapt Skoda level of showroom experience, Japanese level of service experience. If Indian companies are able to achieve it we would soon have our own regional QC standard.
Old 15th October 2024, 20:06   #1055

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

I wonder if India's middle class's greed of "being first" trumps over the lifetime peace of receiving a perfect product?
I hold the utmost respect for Mahindra as a brand and for its owners. I completely understand your frustration; it reminds me of the Indian cricket team in the '90s and early 2000s. That team had immense potential, and it improved significantly with each passing decade. Similarly, I believe Mahindra is a quick learner, though sometimes it may not be quick enough. I genuinely hope that the Thar Roxx will come with fewer niggles this time around.
NEWTON-METERS is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2024, 20:48   #1056
BHPian

Quote:

I would be cautious about using such sweeping generalizations on a public forum.Not everyone wants to wait a lifetime for a "perfect product", especially since there isn't any.
Mike_Schumacher is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 15th October 2024, 21:40   #1057

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Schumacher View Post
I would be cautious about using such sweeping generalizations on a public forum.Not everyone wants to wait a lifetime for a "perfect product", especially since there isn't any.
I absolutely agree with this statement.

As for Mahindra, it was always going to be difficult to open deliveries of a car just 9 days after the booking window opened. As far as I know and from the forum discussions, there seems to be a delay in the delivery process. I haven't seen any newly delivered Roxx anywhere in my city.

If you have the money, you will buy the car then and there. This waiting period drama hurts them the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskandariya View Post
A lot of marketing research , user patterns, financial decisions are factored in. For example making it 1L will definitely reduce the number of bookings but then that loss would be greater than the revenue earned by keeping it at 21k.
In Mahindra's case, it's just a way to conceal their manufacturing deficiencies. If you had the product ready for launch, you would just put it out in the market. Maruti and Hyundai never do such hype marketing and yet sell cars in great numbers.

What's the use of such marketing when the product you intend to sell isn't even available. Most of these bookings will be cancelled by the end of the year.

Last edited by bblost : 15th October 2024 at 22:41. Reason: back to back
Old 15th October 2024, 22:28   #1058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadscorpio View Post
- the rear jumps like its not a part of the vehicle. Got jittery taking it beyond 90 Kmph.

Don't totally blame the vehicle as I have been a hatchback boy all my life (from 800>Zen>Swift>Figo>Scross). The finesse wasn't simply there

Thinking of moving to the XUV700 AX5. Need some advise here please.
Just sharing candid thoughts to help solve your predicament .. I think folks are thinking with their heart first and then reality is something different when we do a TD. We are all aware this is a Body on Frame chassis and if we are expecting monocoque quality suspension, we are sadly mistaken. We cant blame the pure SUV vehicle for this behaviour but rather our own expectations.

Looking at the type of vehicles you are used to driving, the XUV700 is a far better bet for your expectations. I own one and its absolutely brilliant in every sense! You should maybe consider the XUV instead.

I am planning on buying the thar as a 3rd vehicle and it wont be my primary. Hope this helps and no offense to be taken!
originalamit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2024, 23:37   #1059

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalamit View Post
We are all aware this is a Body on Frame chassis and if we are expecting monocoque quality suspension, we are sadly mistaken. We cant blame the pure SUV vehicle for this behaviour but rather our own expectations. en!
This is exactly what I say to my non-car enthusiast friends who blatantly say that the Thar Roxx will be the new Creta.
This isn't going to make a great primary vehicle, especially for people looking to use it 8/10 times in the city.
It might make for a great adventure tourer and mile muncher if you are single or have a small-young family.

C segment CUVs plus the likes of Innova, Harrier, Safari, 700 make much more sense for the family or a primary vehicle.
anish41 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2024, 00:45   #1060
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This isn't going to make a great primary vehicle, especially for people looking to use it 8/10 times in the city.

C segment CUVs plus the likes of Innova, Harrier, Safari, 700 make much more sense for the family or a primary vehicle.
How is Scorpio N the primary vehicle for so many and continues to sell as much as Creta. Add to that, apart from the mini test drives we've taken, 'most' of the press said Roxx rode better than Scorpio N.

For that matter even Innova is BoF and its also got its own share of road vibrations, but is the primary people carrier for the country. And most have acknowledged that Fortuner is worse!

Is it possible we are just over-reacting to over-inflated tyres?

I'm not really too bothered about it, as its not my primary either, but I would still like such a loaded car to be usable in most situations without much complaints.

Last edited by SLK : 16th October 2024 at 00:47.
SLK is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 16th October 2024, 08:00   #1061
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
How is Scorpio N the primary vehicle for so many and continues to sell as much as Creta. Add to that, apart from the mini test drives we've taken, 'most' of the press said Roxx rode better than Scorpio N.
ScorpioN is more comfortable than Thar 5D / Roxx, more roomy and more practical choice.

Thar 5D is Heart over Head decision. Like my Wife pointed out Scorpion has more Leg room in each Seat along with cubby holes for each individuals.

Also agree to people above it might not replace Creta, but I would love the Mahindra’s and Tata’s give run for the money to all manufacturers that too with 5 Stars and strong builds. Though Mahindra sheet metal has reduced in thickness off lately but still better than MSIL, Kia, Hyundai and if they are able to dethrone the top 2 together. It will mean better cars for India.

Now, branching out. Have you seen the 22” Market which has exploded due to Roxx as if the Alloy manufacturers where waiting for a perfect goose for their 22” where the wheel doesn’t look out of place and has correct proportions to Vehicle.

We already see the Bling Bling ones and the Sober rough tough look ones. I particularly like this one till now. I am not the bling bling types or the ones with high offset deep dish ones, they make sense on Sedan but not SUV’s IMHO.
Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-screenshot-20241016-7.59.36-am.png
Orignal Instagram Pic Link

Last edited by iskandariya : 16th October 2024 at 08:19. Reason: Hyperlink
iskandariya is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2024, 09:45   #1062

Quote:
Getting in and out of the car like the Roxx is going to be a task for people over a certain age especially in the city. The rear door entrance is narrow as compared to the competition. I can speak for Innova's ride, it rides on smaller wheels and is closer to the ground and that makes a huge difference to its ride.

Quote:
Is it possible we are just over-reacting to over-inflated tyres?
My test drive was a pleasant one. I think they had the right tire pressures. I liked the ride, balance and control of the car. It is liveable for sure.
But, there are better products in the market if you are looking for out and out luxury for your family.

Don't get me wrong, it has that mass market appeal. It's just that there has been so much vagueness in the videos reviews, especially in Thar Roxx's case in terms of its ride and handling. They are setting wrong expectations for people.
anish41 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2024, 10:02   #1063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadscorpio View Post
the rear jumps like its not a part of the vehicle. Got jittery taking it beyond 90 Kmph. Found the wheel well quite congested (even from a Scross perspective)
I can understand your predicament as i myself replaced my then car SCross 1.6 with a Gurkha. Did you check the tyre air pressure? I am pretty sure they were on the higher side. I had gotten LT RT tyres on my Gurkha and was unknowingly running on higher pressure. Decreased to the recommended and the bumpiness has vanished.
rakesh_r is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2024, 10:54   #1064
BHPian

Quote:
This is exactly what I say to my non-car enthusiast friends who blatantly say that the Thar Roxx will be the new Creta.
And I honestly hope ROXX will NOT be the new Creta, or any C-SUV for that matter.

It will not be the only car in my garage. I am planning to use this car (or whatever I buy next) extensively for touring, and yes I was torn between SN and ROXX.

I hope the ROXX buyers understand the product and its use cases before jumping on the bandwagon.
Mike_Schumacher is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2024, 11:04   #1065
BHPian

Our family is considering the Thar Roxx as a second car in our stable in the coming year (Primary car being the MG ZS EV). The thar will do the occasional city use, and some highway running, and will primarily be driven by my father. Of course, there may be more practical cars, but this just has our hearts. Based on conversation with him, the most budget friendly option would be the MX3 Petrol AT RWD Variant (for his specific use case), which is about INR 18.8 L on road in Bangalore. A definite addition would be the OE Alloy Wheels that cost INR 62,000. I don't really see the need to add much else to the car apart from the regular floor mats, car cover and scuff plates. Overall, the cost would be below 20L.
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks