Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2024, 22:56   #76
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Roxx Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
But the MX3 doesn't have rear camera right? Is this the MX5 instead?
I clicked "thanks" instead of quote, and no way to undo this
It cannot be MX5, as MX5 comes with alloy wheels. And MX3 comes with rear camera as per the brochure. https://auto.mahindra.com/on/demandw...re-for-web.pdf
ramki.grandhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2024, 23:15   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
Only MX1 doesnt come with the rear camera, all other variants do.
Attachment 2643184
Ah! Thanks for the correction.

Since I was looking only at AT variants, I completely missed the MX1 trim.

So the MX3 looks pretty well loaded and the interiors too don't appear to be missing any major feature. I prefer the manual instrument cluster with MID in the center, as compared to the fully digital unit. The only thing I would do to this variant is some after market alloys.

Now time to find the need for a new car in the house.
dZired is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2024, 00:03   #78
BHPian

Excellent review

Thar 5 door is a complete package now. Kudos to Mahindra!! They have almost added everything in this vehicle. My only dislike is the white interior, that I think we will slowly adjust to it over time . Anyone looking for a versatile adventure ready SUV with strong personality, the Thar Roxx is hard to beat.
I’m thinking about upgrading my aging Toyota etios, Thar Rocks is so tempting now. I’m planning to lock in my purchase Diesel AT as soon as the booking opens.
Old 18th August 2024, 01:02   #79
Bit
BHPian

A question born out of curiosity:

1. The sunroof is huge, and certainly brings joy to rear passengers, but given its placement towards the rear, where it starts at *after* the drivers back, how does it affect the driver’s and co-passenger’s feel-good factor? Even cars with a single pane sunroof, they are usually above drivers head.

Though I myself do not own a pano-sunroof car yet, people who do and have seen the Roxx ( @jaggu ) -does the placement make it any less pleasing for the front seat folks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Jaggu

Last edited by Bit : 18th August 2024 at 01:06.
Old 18th August 2024, 01:13   #80
BHPian

Quote:

@All - keep posting questions here, would love to hear em and respond back in more details. Just quote me please, so that I do not miss em.
Hi, thanks for the review of 5 door Thar and it looks smashing in that White color. Gives it a larger vehicle look.

My question is related to three door. All the colors (even the latest Deep Forest color) gets Convertible top option in diesel automatic but the White color doesn’t. I just can’t fathom why this might be and I have written mails to Mahindra, bugged them on social media but still haven’t got a reply.
Should I just drop the hope of getting this combination and move on to other color of my choice?

Also, you have mentioned the Mahindra officials weere not forthright with their response to whether these changes will trickle down to Three door version, so safe to say we can’t expect any changes in three door for another year?

Thanks.
Old 18th August 2024, 01:22   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjith812 View Post
. I’m planning to lock in my purchase Diesel AT as soon as the booking opens.
AT seems to be the popular choice, however I did come across some Roxx drive reviews with merits of MT especially about the higher level of control.
Also the torque converter AT will have a much lower FE compared to MT.

Looks like the higher MT 4x4 variants come with an electronic parking brake.
The thought of driving a manual with EPB feels hazardous, especially on steep inclines.

I feel EPB may be better suited to an AT. They should have given a manual parking brake lever in the MT variants

In my case, heart says 'go for MT' and head says AT, so in a dilemma now. Have been driving MTs since ages and never had any issues/discomfort with them.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 18th August 2024 at 01:32.
Old 18th August 2024, 10:16   #82
BHPian

Excellent Review as always Eagerly waiting for the more comprehensive coverage after the test runs in Mumbai! Going through the brochure I feel that most of the bookings will be for the MX3 AT variant. At 18L+ on road, this seems to have most of the essential features except the alloys, which can be added later.

Quote:
@All - keep posting questions here, would love to hear em and respond back in more details. Just quote me please, so that I do not miss em.
There seems to be a feature "Acoustic Windshield" missing in the lower variants. Any idea?
Old 18th August 2024, 10:18   #83
BHPian

1) A lot of reviewers have been crying about the lack of under-thigh support in the drivers seat. Is that really the case? Is it that bad? My height for reference is 5.11".
I hope if so, it can be corrected in the aftermarket in case it gets too tiring post long drives.

2) I don't understand the logic behind the decision taken behind the power parity between the diesel variants. The AX7L D AT (top-end) gets some 15x BHP, while 4x4 versions get 172 BHP (ScorpioN tune)? Whereas all petrol AT versions get the same, top-spec tune. Doesn't look good for buyers that will be shelling out 25 big ones (on-road) to get a lower power map.

3) All the technical jargons thrown with regards to the suspension/chassis don't seem to have fully translated into the real world. The suspension still jiggles a LOT and can cause motion sickness for ladies with a weaker stomach/elderly sitting on the 2nd row.

4) The decision to go with the white leatherette interiors is baffling. I presume nobody internally really validates these decisions and departments have been given free reign to do whatever they wish. The ScorpioN trim would've been the perfect interior shade to go with this vehicle, heck even a coffee brown trim would've given it the feeling of plushness while reducing the massive amounts of headaches it takes to keep the car looking clean (I have a 700, I know how much of a hassle it is).

Edit (addition below):
5) Reviewers have also complained about the knee hurting the dashboard/side trim issue. Similar to the issue with the Harrier/Safari since ages. Has that problem been brought to the Roxx as well? It's a major ergonomic impediment if so.

Last edited by Zinger_Winger : 18th August 2024 at 10:39.
Zinger_Winger is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 18th August 2024, 10:29   #84
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
One question - with such a massive sunroof, considerable amount of heat can enter the cabin even when closed, if the sunroof screen/cover provided is thin or semi-transparent (like the ones Mercedes provides). None of the reviews I have seen show the quality or thickness of the Sunroof cover.
While this is a good question, I think a solution to the heat issue on any car w/ sunroofs is to stick one of those heat rejection windscreen films on the sunroof. There's no concern about legality here, they don't affect the view much and the good ones are really good at keeping even the heat of TN summers out.
rkv_2401 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2024, 10:30   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
I feel EPB may be better suited to an AT. They should have given a manual parking brake lever in the MT variants

In my case, heart says 'go for MT' and head says AT, so in a dilemma now. Have been driving MTs since ages and never had any issues/discomfort with them.
It would work with MT, there is hill hold etc that would ensure the vehicle stays in place even in MT.

But the AT is the superior option, it would allow you to enjoy the convenience, additional features without any compromise.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2024, 10:50   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Catching up late on this thread...

The Thar-3Dr was always off my list just because of it's impracticality and in-general road manner compared to my existing 7OO or my old 5OO. It cannot be the only car/ first car. The Thar 5Dr is a good option for wannabe SUV owners with small family size. Super package - costing can be debated.

For me personally - it's a a big NO given that there isn't going to be a 4x4 in Petrol AT version anytime sooner (probably never?).

Also, the 4x4 top end, the prices are not yet announced - my guess the on road cost with some accessories etc will be comparable to my 2022 top end 7OO prices

In short - I would still be considering 3dr Thar as second car (second-hand/ pre-owned would cost a lot less!) for some day.

And by the way, I bought some more M&M shares and kept it in portfolio, instead of buying yet another M&M
abirnale is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2024, 11:08   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinger_Winger View Post
2) I don't understand the logic behind the decision taken behind the power parity between the diesel variants. The AX7L D AT (top-end) gets some 15x BHP, while 4x4 versions get 172 BHP (ScorpioN tune)? Whereas all petrol AT versions get the same, top-spec tune. Doesn't look good for buyers that will be shelling out 25 big ones (on-road) to get a lower power map.
Yes, this information is confusing on the brochure. Looks like the alignment of the columns describing the mStallion is incorrect, the mStallion should have taken up two columns at the top and left the remaining 4 columns for mHawk. Instead they have stretched the mStallion into an extra column and if you read the second set of boxed below, you will see the third column pertains actually to Diesel mHawk.

Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-screenshot-20240818-10.59.318239am.png

So if we are reading this right, all non-4X4 versions of the Diesel as well as the Diesel Manual 4X4 will only get 160 HP and 330NM. I feel that, as compared to the Thar 3 door Diesel AT (130 HP, 300 NM), the power bump for these variants is not enough, given the weight of additional passengers, cargo and added weight of the longer, wider and taller platform and body, The only variants that get the 172 HP and 370 NM are the Diesel Automatic 4X4 variants. Even then, this is short of the Scorpio's Torque of 400NM in the Diesel Autos, though HP is the same.

On a different note, I am disappointed the Thar Roxx misses out on a simple but very important feature that one takes for granted in cars in the 15-25 lakh bracket -Full keyless entry with sensors on doors. Having given us so many impressive features, Mahindra could've added this pretty inexpensive and basic feature. It will come in really useful in off-roading types situations without having to fish out the key from one's pocket when wearing gloves or jeans. Also, very useful to leave inside the office backpack and not have to ever take it out as one drives the car back-and-forth from home and Office.

Another important feature that seem to be missing is lumbar support. My 2020 Thar has a very effective lumbar support, with a good range of adjustment, it was subsequently removed in the Thar range, and also seems to be missing the five door Thar Roxx.
84.monsoon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th August 2024, 11:09   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG86 View Post
There seems to be a feature "Acoustic Windshield" missing in the lower variants. Any idea?
This windshield supposedly reduces external noise by upto 20dB, not experienced it personally and no idea why MX1 and MX3 wont get it as standard!
Old 18th August 2024, 11:15   #89
BHPian

I believe the most VFM variants here (If one is looking for the automatic variant specifically) would be the MX3 Petrol AT 2WD or the MX5 Petrol AT 2WD (Diesel if you use the car a lot). My father really likes the car and is never going to take it off road, so a 4WD makes no sense for him. If someone is in the same boat, then the following configurations make a lot of sense.

MX3 Petrol AT 2WD - On Road Cost BLR (Approx 18.69 Lakhs)

What you get:
  • Infotainment system with Wireless Android Auto and Apple Car Play
  • Cruise Control
  • Auto Dimming IRVM
  • Wireless Charger
  • One Touch Power Window (Driver Side)
  • All 4 Disc Brakes
  • Traction Control
  • Hill Hold and Hill Descent Control
  • Reverse Camera
  • Drive Modes and Terrain Modes

What you can add on:
  • Alloy Wheels (OEM Accessories hopefully)
  • Leather(ette) seat covers and a steering wrap (Also OEM Accessories hopefully)
  • TPMS (From Sensairy or Treel etc.)
  • Front fog lamps

MX5 Petrol AT 2WD - On Road Cost BLR (Approx 22.39 Lakhs)

What you get in addition to the MX3:
  • Alloy Wheels
  • Leatherette seat covers and steering wrap
  • Inbuilt TPMS
  • Front fog lamps
  • Single Pane Sunroof
  • Auto headlamps and wipers
  • Acoustic Windshield
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th August 2024, 11:21   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
On a different note, I am disappointed the Thar Roxx misses out on a simple but very important feature that one takes for granted in cars in the 15-25 lakh bracket -Full keyless entry with sensors on doors
Completely Agree, 150 bhp seems way too conservative; hopefully a remap will solve the problem.

As for the Keyless Entry miss, would it be related to Remote Engine Start/ Stop and lack of Alarm-system.
Rocky_Balboa is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks