Old 17th August 2024, 18:16   #61

Re: Mahindra Thar Roxx Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by naru80 View Post
One thing about Roxx that's not being talked about enough:
===
Reference: Autocar review:
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=HKDRU5oITK0
Only Zip and Zoom are offered across all RWD variants starting from the MX3. However, the 4WD variants of the ROXX do not include these drive modes, similar to the 4WD variants of the Scorpio N.

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th August 2024 at 19:19.
MyGoRa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2024, 18:41   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
One question - with such a massive sunroof, considerable amount of heat can enter the cabin even when closed, if the sunroof screen/cover provided is thin or semi-transparent (like the ones Mercedes provides).
It was mostly cloudy in Kochi, so we really cannot comment on the cabin heating up part. But the cover provided is of good thickness and light did not filter in with moderate sun. So it is not flimsy show piece. But the sun roof on the top end model is HUGE! Once opened, rear passengers can get fried for sure lol. Whereas front passengers are kind of away from the opening.

The rear bias of the sun roof to me is a good idea, at least we will not have smart Alec's with folks standing in the front half of the cabin risking the driving. Very idea of people standing itself while on move is bad if you ask me, but hey this is India and we have too many hero's and heroine's in the making all around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
How did you guys find the Roxx different from the Scorpio N? Is it like a downgrade from the Scorpio N from an overall perspective including in particular in terms of ride quality, features n frills. Of course the ‘Thar’ look will sell for sure, no doubt, but that aspect aside?
Aditya would be the right person to comment on Scorpio since I have not tried the New Scorpio.

Having said that, I would consider both to have a different set of user base. Space wise Scorpio would still score better, ride comfort to an extend too. More than feature and frills, the way in which the vehicle interiors have been appointed is superb. No more spartan stuff, this is premium market they are hunting for. No more cheap stuff in the Roxx, a friend who is a major auto buff and who has gone through many premium cars commented saying "This is truly a world class SUV, Mahindra has really up'ed the game wrt international players like Toyota".

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGoRa View Post
Only Zip & Zoom being offered across all RWD variants from MX3. However, the 4WD variants of the ROXX do not include these drive modes, similar to the Scorpio N 4WD variants.
Zip and Zoom just changes the shift points more than throttle response is what I felt. This can be achieved by using the manual mode of transmission.
Jaggu is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 17th August 2024, 18:51   #63
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Space wise Scorpio would still score better, ride comfort to an extend too.
What about fun? Is Thar Roxx more fun?
vij is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2024, 19:25   #64
BHPian

The 12.99/13.99 lakh Rupees base model with white/silver rims looks even better in the lighter shades. Those light color rims even balance the otherwise odd looking thick C pillar.

Name:  Screenshot from 20240817 192444.png
Views: 188
Size:  135.1 KB

Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-screenshot-20240817-192123.png

Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-screenshot-20240817-192215.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Zip and Zoom just changes the shift points more than throttle response is what I felt. This can be achieved by using the manual mode of transmission.
I drove my cousin's XUV 700 AWD AT diesel extensively for few days on highway as well as on the rough terrain of Spiti Valley continuously for few days. We were only two in that car whole time along with our luggage. XUV has 3 modes, I found the lowest power mode was enough throughout on the plains as well as during offroad and uphills. It was also delivering far better fuel efficiency compared to other two.

I don't know how the other two modes make the car feel more powerful but I think they are only needed if the car is heavily loaded and doing lot of uphill sections.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 17th August 2024 at 19:39.
tbppjpr is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th August 2024, 19:48   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Personally I feel Mahindra might discontinue the Thar 3 door RWD completely by Q1 2025, and eventually also the Thar 3 Door 4WD , till the niche demand for the 4WD ceases to exist and all stocks are offloaded.
They do not need to do that necessarily. I can foresee an update to the 3 door version with a lot of parts sharing with the Roxx, which would make it more cost effective. Mahindra is surely going to make a lot of money from the Roxx,the 3 door is already approaching the 5 year mark in the market and if they can use the new mGlide platform to make a 3 door version, why not..?

The 3 door is kind of an image builder and it still is the extreme offroader version of the Thar. It looks much better than the Roxx. If Mahindra discontinues it, it would be a mistake and a dilution of the Thar brand, which is not good in the long run. A potential 3 door customer, who is somehow attracted by the sexiness of it being impressed with the Roxx instead and buying it would also make M&M the winner. As they say, cannibalisation is ok as long as your own product is getting cannibalised.
harikrishnansp is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th August 2024, 19:56   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Fantastic review, guys . Especially considering you had just 1 day to write the report. Thank you!
=======
Attachment 2642830
That’s a beautiful Thar GTO. I loved reading your Thar thread and all the modifications. Specifically the point where you bought 8 pieces of those wheels.

One question though, wouldn’t that bumper hamper the airbag functionality?

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th August 2024 at 20:30. Reason: Trimming the quote for better readability of the post.
nik0502 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2024, 20:11   #67
BHPian

Here and Autocar are the first two places I end up reading the reviews before anything else. Thanks for all the time, effort and detailing gone into it.

Roxx is sure to keep M&M busy for the next year. Kudos to them for that with another successful rollout.

However, I think the image of 'Thar' (big, bulky, go anywhere) has been considerably diluted with the 5D version (more so with the limited variants offering 4WD). This now seems to be in competition with their own ScorpioN model (wonder if any would prefer the ScorpioN 4x4 over this?).

I was hopeful for a petrol 4X4 variant that can take 4 people and some luggage and with not too many fancy features and seems like Roxx hasn't got one yet. Somewhat feel the Jimny (yes I know it's underpowered and has lack of storage and features) with its 4x4 offering is still a good deal (only if you want the 4x4)!

Keen to see if Maruti slides the prices of Jimny further down (considering the festive season is almost here) and how does the Force Motors react (The Gurkha 5D for its price seems way barebones and very pricey for what it offers over the Roxx)?
Buzzard_storme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2024, 20:15   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRider28 View Post

Surely a decision from Pratap Bose who decided to skip 4WD in Safari and Harrier as well! I doubt if they will launch a 4WD petrol for 1% of the customers. Many NCR folks will be happy with the RWD petrol as a lifestyle vehicle and Mahindra will milk the cash. It seems like they just didn't have the spirit to invest in testing an additional power train in 4WD. But this is a departure from the Mahindra legacy and the Thar brand, although it may be sensible from a commercial perspective. But it is the biggest drawback for me as minor quirks in the looks will gradually grow on you.
Pratap Bose was he head of styling in Tata Motors. In fact they call it 'Design' is a misnomer. He was not the product planner there and it is not fair to say that the decision on AWD in Harrier & Safari was his (being a transverse driveline configuration, 4WD is anyways out of the contention). Actual fact of the matter is that the powertrain for the Harrier and the Safari came straight from FIAT and integrating the PTO (for AWD) would have been Tata's engineering problem rather than a planning issue. Actually the same packaging issue with the powertrain led to the initial versions being fitted with hydraulic power steering rather than the now normal EPS.

Last edited by SAE40 in veins : 17th August 2024 at 20:16.
SAE40 in veins is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th August 2024, 20:28   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

• The glass area is healthy. Notice the white section above the rear door which breaks the flow of the roof. The C-pillar thickens as you go downwards from the roof. While I hated some of these design elements, Jaggu made peace with them.
I couldn't, but I guess its easily fixable by some paint job. For reference 2 quick shoddy edit jobs on the cellphone.

Change the grill, fix the roof line and you're good to go!

Great review. I think a great product as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-20240817_103738.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-20240817_103359.jpg  

inwester is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th August 2024, 21:09   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Thar ROXX artwork from design team.

Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-20240817_210810.jpg

Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-20240817_210813.jpg

Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-20240817_210815.jpg

Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-20240817_210807.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th August 2024, 21:45   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
The Thar Roxx is a huge huge step on the three door.
====
I just somehow felt that in making the Thar Roxx more civilised and family friendly, it lost out on that bit of hardcore Thar feel. If you get what I mean.
I owned Scorpio-N until a few weeks back. But whenever i saw a Thar, I always wanted to have one. So, sold Scorpio-N while the waiting times were still prevalent and will now buy Roxx.
Perfect combo for me (looks of thar and comfort of Scorpio-N)

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th August 2024 at 21:56. Reason: Trimming quoted post for better readability.
a023624a is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th August 2024, 22:01   #72
BHPian

I think this is the only video of MX3, host was saying AX3L but in comments he clarified its MX3. Also video says normal parking brake, AX3L should have electric parking brake.

ramki.grandhi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2024, 22:27   #73

I feel that if you're serious about off-roading, the 3-door Thar is your pick. The shorter wheelbase means better manoeuvrability in tight spots and improved approach/departure angles. Lighter weight = less chance of getting stuck in tricky terrain. Plus, it’s more affordable and has that classic, rugged look we all love. The 5-door Roxor? Great for space and practicality, but for pure off-road fun, the Thar’s got the edge.
Old 17th August 2024, 22:40   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi View Post
I think this is the only video of MX3, host was saying AX3L but in comments he clarified its MX3. Also video says normal parking brake, AX3L should have electric parking brake.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=qrOgGPxM-Lw
But the MX3 doesn't have rear camera right? Is this the MX5 instead?
dZired is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2024, 22:50   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
But the MX3 doesn't have rear camera right? Is this the MX5 instead?
Only MX1 doesnt come with the rear camera, all other variants do.
Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-rearcamera.jpg

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 17th August 2024 at 22:52.
Rocky_Balboa is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks