Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2024, 15:19   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra Thar Roxx Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by V0id2003 View Post
Can't wait to test drive one , does anyone know when it will reach Mahindra's showrooms?
September mid test drives should start, and definitely do that
Jaggu is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2024, 16:01   #47
BHPian

I was really waiting for comments on the ride, that’s a big factor. The ride being similar to the Scorpio N means that it’s absolutely tolerable, not unusable like I’ve found the 3 door Thar sometimes - very important when you’ve old parents with back issues.

Also, unlike most reviewers, I do quite like the new grill and hope the 3 door Thar gets it too (though I might be in a minority on this). As GTO mentioned this will somewhat eat into 3 door Thar sales. I wouldn’t even be surprised if those looking at the Creta segment might consider this as well. All-in-all, the Indians boys - Tata and Mahindra are crushing it!
dragracer567 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th August 2024, 16:03   #48
BHPian

Excellent Review, as always - Thanks Jaggu and Aditya.

The upkeep of the white interiors, especially the seats, are going to be a pain. But I guess we just have to Live with it.

I am so in Love with 5D Thar in Battleship Grey
May I request the mods to get all around pics of the 5D Thar Grey, during the extended Mumbai drive
Rocky_Balboa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2024, 16:06   #49
BHPian

As a consumer, who just bought a Thar Diesel RWD, a couple of months ago, my Rant is the following,

A) the Front Grill in Light colours (White, Red) looks Horrendous
B) Mahindra makes fantastic cars, great ride, engines. They spoil it with, extra ugly styling bits. (The headlights, with scorpion tail on the XUV 700. The fog lights, with the scorpion Tail, on the Scorpio N, and the Grill, and the Alloy Wheels on the ROXX

As a new Thar RWD owner, I feel shortchanged with the following

A) Engine: Damn, they have really upped the power? They could have done it to Regular Thar 1st. Damn! I'm jealous.

B) Harman Kardon music system. The Thar really needed a music upgrade. The stock speakers are ridiculous.

C) Pricing. Come on guys, should have priced the Roxx higher.

What I am happy about.

D) Roxx, with that ugly Grill, may pale in comparison to the smooth lines of the regular Thar, which is now a classic

E) No convertible, or openable Fibre roof option.

As long as consumers get more choice, I am happy.

Last edited by Sheel : 17th August 2024 at 17:16. Reason: 2 smileys per post please. Thanks.
Nucliomaniac is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2024, 16:16   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

More doors more fun

ROXX alongside Jimny

Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-20240817_161242.jpg

Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-20240817_161244.jpg

Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-20240817_161246.jpg

Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-20240817_161249.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 17th August 2024, 16:22   #51
BHPian

Wow! I'm impressed with the Thar ROXX. I can see this outselling the likes of Scorpio N and Thar 3 door.

The design is controversial, but I'm sure it will grow over everyone over time. Mahindra missed it by not giving a 4x4 for the petrol. WHY?

Would consider picking one up when I can afford it.
Pythonista is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2024, 16:34   #52

Just spotted the Mahindra Thar Roxx testing on Chennai roads.

There were two of them. They were driving very rashly, I must say. In fact, they were crossing all other cars at a dangerous speed+ they were overtaking without warning. Could have been risky.

Anyways, could someone throw some light on why it is being tested after launch?

Attaching my pic ( forgive me for the picture resolution, clicked it on the drive ). It's on the extreme right lane:
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-20240817_102752.jpg  

ItsMeTheCarBoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2024, 16:47   #53
BHPian

Thank you @Aditya & Jaggu, for a 5* rated review, well done. You guys were faster than the YTber's.

My only gripe if I may say so, and as correctly mentioned by you, the second row usage for family and elders will be an issue. Well M&M must have thought, let them use a Wagon R,
Vinod_nair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2024, 17:12   #54
BHPian

Thanks for the crisp review that captured all the necessary points for a brand new vehicle.

From personal experience with M&M products, would recommend waiting for a year or more before buying it.
Those visits to the workshop get old fairly fast, no matter how attractive the introductory price.
Mustang Sammy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2024, 17:21   #55
vij
BHPian

Difference between Petrol and Diesel in higher variants is small, but there is a 2.5lac price difference between MX3 Petrol and Diesel

MX3 AT Petrol : 14.99 lac
MX3 AT Diesel : 17.49 lac

Last edited by vij : 17th August 2024 at 17:23.
vij is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th August 2024, 17:28   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Great review! Very crisp and informative. Loved the details like the fact that the glove box has a damped opening and the extent of footboard support available for entering via the rear door as well as the exact dimensions of the sunroof and its open to sky part.

Looked up the 0-160 acceleration tome of the Thar 3 door from the AutoCar review back in 2021. The three door Diesel AT 4X4 does 0-60 in 5.27 seconds as compared to the 4.8 seconds for the Diesel AT 4X4 Thar ROX mentioned in this review. This is a significant improvement! I would nto be surprised of the Diesel AT RWD is able to hit 0-100 in under 10 seconds and the 4X4 in about 11 seconds as compared to the 13.5 seconds that the my Thar 3 door Diesel AT 4x4 takes. For reference the ScorpioN Diesel Auto takes 11.23 seconds and the ScorpioN petrol Auto does it in 10.2 seconds.

One question - with such a massive sunroof, considerable amount of heat can enter the cabin even when closed, if the sunroof screen/cover provided is thin or semi-transparent (like the ones Mercedes provides). None of the reviews I have seen show the quality or thickness of the Sunroof cover. Could you elaborate a bit on this aspect? Any pictures showing the section width would be very useful. I don't much care for a sunroof in the Thar given how hot Tamil Nadu is, but worry about heat transmission more. In my BMW, the sunroof cover provided below the sunroof is very thick and no light or heat comes through to the cabin even on hot days. However, in some Mercedes cars I have driven, the cover is pathetic as it is almost semi-transparent and your head feels hot on a sunny days as if standing in the sun.

Last edited by Axe77 : 17th August 2024 at 17:52.
84.monsoon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th August 2024, 17:57   #57
BHPian

One thing about Roxx that's not being talked about enough:

The Petrol gets the Zoom drive mode but the diesel doesn't.

The Zip Zap Zoom modes previously have been available only for the Diesel in Thar, ScorpioN and XUV700.

Reference: Autocar review:

Last edited by naru80 : 17th August 2024 at 18:05.
naru80 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2024, 18:04   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
@All - keep posting questions here, would love to hear em and respond back in more details. Just quote me please, so that I do not miss em.
Hey Jaggu. Question from a pal of mine who’s considering this please.

How did you guys find the Roxx different from the Scorpio N? Is it like a downgrade from the Scorpio N from an overall perspective including in particular in terms of ride quality, features n frills. Of course the ‘Thar’ look will sell for sure, no doubt, but that aspect aside?

Thanks
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2024, 18:07   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by vij View Post
Difference between Petrol and Diesel in higher variants is small, but there is a 2.5lac price difference between MX3 Petrol and Diesel

MX3 AT Petrol : 14.99 lac
MX3 AT Diesel : 17.49 lac
MX3 Petrol AT @ 14.99 Lakhs is a tremendous VFM variant provided Mahindra delivers before hiking its price!

I have changed my preference too from AX7L D AT to MX3 P AT

Here is the video walkthrough of the same.

MyGoRa is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th August 2024, 18:14   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Outstanding review of a truly outstanding car. When i first saw the pictures, I felt the changes made to side profile to differentiate it from the Wrangler (I assume) didn’t seem great. But after watching 3-4 TV reviews, that has grown on me.

What is truly amazing is that almost every reviewer states that ride quality has improved dramatically. If that is borne out when high speed stability is tested, this can turn into a truly great car.

I agree with those who say that a 4x4 petrol option would be great - I would never buy a diesel again, and this would be a great car to buy for that once in a lifetime Ladakh drive with a 4x4 petrol option.

Certainly will look to rent one for a holiday sooner or later even if I don’t buy one.
Hayek is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks