Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2024, 10:06   #571
sgm
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Roxx Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Ride is not as crisp as a Compass, especially the roll will be more due to the inherent difference in class of vehicles. But it is more spacious than a compass I feel, and definitely huge improvement over 3 door. Scorpio N like ride is what Aditya mentioned, who has experienced both.
Any comparisons on ride quality with Fortuner? Compass rides really well, and it is not fair to compare BOF Roxx against a monocoque vehicle.

I test drove Jimny recently and I couldn’t connect with it. My wife sat at the back and she was getting tossed around on undulations. My limited experiences with driving Fortuner was decent, though family was not happy with middle/back rows. Will Roxx be similar or better? Checked out Roxx in the showroom and I was disappointed with the under thigh support and missing steering wheel reach adjustment. Planning to do a test drive soon to confirm if I can find a decent driving position.
I’m smitten by the rough and tough looks of Roxx and it can be a tourer if the ride is decent in the back seat. Roxx can be my secondary car for solo drives. It can be used for occasional highway trips where road conditions are not known. I’m trying to have one go anywhere vehicle along with our Baleno and C-class. I’m not confident of taking C-class for long drives during rainy seasons.
Old 20th September 2024, 12:13   #572
BHPian

I did get a chance to Test Drive top spec Diesel Automatic 4x4 with Sahyadri motors in Pune. To be honest, it was a very short test drive since there is a huge rush for test drives.

I kind of agree with most of the feedback shared here by all folks who have already done the test drive. However, one point which I really wanted to highlight is around the driver's left leg position. There is some weird kind protrusion near the left knee of the driver (as well as on the right knee side of the front passenger). Its part of some plastic cladding which might have some meaningful purpose in design (may be to hide some electricals). But it keeps touching and obstructing drivers left knee, unless one pushes back the driver seat considerably to create space. I am sure that many other folks must have noticed it as well.

Apart from this, since it was a short test drive, I could not really get sense of improvement in terms of body roll. I am sure that its improved substantially compared to 3 door Thar but wanted to understand it in comparison with XUV500. Again I understand that 500 is a monocoque build against 5D Thar but that's why really to want to get any feedback if anyone had that opportunity to compare and share his / her experience or feedback. Thanks in advance!
prajakt_23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2024, 13:27   #573
BHPian

Great review, level of detail and clarity is amazing. One thing that does not get appreciated enough is the quality of pictures taken, simply superb.
nileshbhatiaa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2024, 14:01   #574
Senior - BHPian

I just test drove the Thar Roxx AX7L Petrol AT, some quick observations.

What i liked
  • Quite a handsome looking SUV, great road presence and imposing stance.
  • Extremely smooth, powerful engine.
  • Feature loaded to the gills.
  • Seats, rear as well as front provide adequate support.
  • Comfortable arm rests on all doors.

What i did not like.
  • White interiors where already soiled on the first day of the TD. Someone from Mahindra seriously needs to issue a change order ASAP.
  • Ride was extremely harsh and jarring, even slight undulations and every bit of broken tarmac is felt inside the cabin.
    Tyre pressure was 33psi at the front and 35psi at the back.
    This may be a deal breaker for me, will be taking another TD before i decide.

Attaching some picture of the Red, Blue and Black cars on display/TD.
Blue looks the best IMO.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-img_9821.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-img_9818.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-img_9820.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-img_9816.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-img_9817.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-img_9819.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-img_9823.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-img_9822.jpeg  

Last edited by ms001 : 20th September 2024 at 14:13.
ms001 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th September 2024, 14:24   #575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
  • Ride was extremely harsh and jarring, even slight undulations and every bit of broken tarmac is felt inside the cabin.

Blue looks the best IMO.
This is surprising, everyone in the review videos are praising about the ride quality but you mentioned that the ride is harsh and jarring, is this the problem in this specific demo vehicle?, i feel everyone needs to do a test drive before taking delivery unlike lot of people liked 3 door Thar for its design and booked but later found unsettled ride quality and sold it including me., many youtube reviews did not talk about the poor ride quality of 3 door that time when it got released. there is lot of hype about Roxx and the delivery timeline extends more than one year.

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th September 2024 at 12:28. Reason: Trimming quoted post
mukeshannamalai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2024, 14:54   #576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post

What i did not like.
  • White interiors where already soiled on the first day of the TD. Someone from Mahindra seriously needs to issue a change order ASAP.

Blue looks the best IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshannamalai View Post
This is surprising, everyone in the review videos are praising about the ride quality but you mentioned that the ride is harsh and jarring, is this the problem in this specific demo vehicle?, i feel everyone needs to do a test drive before taking delivery unlike lot of people liked 3 door Thar for its design and booked but later found unsettled ride quality and sold it including me., many Youtube reviews did not talk about the poor ride quality of 3 door that time when it got released. there is lot of hype about Roxx and the delivery timeline extends more than one year.

I test drove the Thar ROXX , but did not find the ride quality harsh or jarring, infact I loved it. Coming from compact SUVs, ertiga and even Alcazar, I found it to be better. Yes you do get the sense of body on frame character. But I could take bumps and bad roads confidently vs other cars I mentioned.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2024, 15:31   #577
BHPian

Not sure whether it's the right place to ask, but what are the opinions on a SN Z8 P AT vs the Roxx AX7L P AT? They are in the same price range. Any overwhelming pros and cons of one over the other apart from the third row in SN ?
Old 20th September 2024, 16:05   #578
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Schumacher View Post
Not sure whether it's the right place to ask, but what are the opinions on a SN Z8 P AT vs the Roxx AX7L P AT? They are in the same price range. Any overwhelming pros and cons of one over the other apart from the third row in SN ?

I assume that you, like most folks who are considering these vehicles, are looking for a nice adventurous tough go anywhere touring vehicle for yourself and the family.

With the above in mind;

The Thar Roxx is a Grand Tourer which has the highly desirable form factor of a Jeepy thing. Form takes pre-eminence here.

The Scorpio N is also a Grand Tourer but one which is more of a sleeper. It won’t grab the same attention that the Roxx will. But it will definitely be more comfortable.

Both will have that inimitable mile munching ability.

But the Scorpio N will be a better balance between Form and Function both.
shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th September 2024, 16:20   #579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I assume that you, like most folks who are considering these vehicles, are looking for a nice adventurous tough go anywhere touring vehicle for yourself and the family.

With the above in mind;

The Thar Roxx is a Grand Tourer which has the highly desirable form factor of a Jeepy thing. Form takes pre-eminence here.

The Scorpio N is also a Grand Tourer but one which is more of a sleeper. It won’t grab the same attention that the Roxx will. But it will definitely be more comfortable.

Both will have that inimitable mile munching ability.

Thank you sir. You are right, I have been roaming around in a sedan for quite some time now, and while it has served me well so far, there have been multiple instances where I felt the need to have a vehicle which can take me to places where the current one simply cannot go.

When the Scorpio N came out, thats the car I wanted but with the Roxx I've been swayed. While I like both the cars, it might finally boil down to the waiting period.

Last edited by KarthikK : 20th September 2024 at 16:26.
Old 20th September 2024, 16:50   #580
BHPian

I got to test drive White Roxx AX7L 4x4 diesel automatic. The car has attracted lot of customers and all tables in the showroom were filled with people. The showroom test drive is given only for about 4-5 kms as there is long queue for test drive. The test drive is on well laid tarmac road without any potholes, so I could not test the feel inside the cabin when going over potholed ridden holes near my area.

- Roxx has good road presence and has proper SUV stance. Roxx definitely has the potential of becoming "The SUV" as it matches butch SUV expectation of Indian customer.
- The engine sound was very less inside once you shut the door. People were double confirming if this is petrol or diesel car.
- Ventilated seat felt good and back was not sweaty. The air flow felt good but still the ventilated seats on Creta/Seltos feel much superior.
- Rear seat recline angle is good. People in rear seat can take a nap with the rear seat reclined to max angle.
Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-img_0080.jpg
- Boot space looks good enough to carry 2-3 large suitcases and not block your rear view.
- The rear seat width is wider than Creta/Seltos
- I am used to 2 steps climb up to get into my Hexa. So getting into Roxx felt natural. The height of sidestep is more, so you have to climb up higher.
- Single pane sunroof in MX5 is decent size in display car. I could not guage how much wide the sunroof opens.

Dislikes:
- Getting out from rear seat is not easy and will take time getting used to. I am 5.5 feet and the sidestep is up to my knee level. You need to be careful and plant your feet on the sidestep while exiting to prevent any accidental fall.
Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-img_0063.jpg
- There is no flap in front of rear wheel. Rear fender ends just at the rear door level. The car went over some water on the road and I can see water spash marks near rear door exit. This is design flaw and has all the possibility to make your clothes dirty while exiting.
Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-img_01341.jpg
- White leatherette material used for seat is softer as compared to leatherette seats on XUV700. The softer material could be the cause of seats going dirty so soon. Showrooms have put a white cloth cover on top of the seats to reduce the stains.

All Mahindra showrooms have one MX5 Roxx display car. Roxx has taken the center stage and other cars have been pushed to the back including XUV700.

Different shades of Roxx
Got to see Roxx in different shades from multiple showroom visits

Roxx in Nebula Blue shade. If you like blue, then this is the color to go for. Somebody put unwashed fingers on the fine blue causing stain marks on a brand new car. I wish Mahindra launches this shade in XUV700 also.
Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-img_0044.jpg
Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-img_0051.jpg
Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-img_0053.jpg
Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-img_0054.jpg

The Burnt Sienna. Finally got to see the Burnt Sienna in-person. The color reminds me of the brown color available on Duster. The brown color is solid color and not metallic color.
Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-img_0113.jpg

Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-img_0125.jpg

Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-img_0128.jpg

Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-img_0129.jpg

Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-img_0130.jpg

Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-img_0132.jpg

Red Roxx put on display in its natural terrain. This red color is new in Mahindra lineup. The red is deeper red than Red Rage color and will seem different to actual eye. In photos, this new Red color looks better than Red Rage.
Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-img_0153.jpg
Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-img_0159.jpg

The White Roxx. This is the test drive car.
Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-img_0134.jpg
Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-img_0137.jpg

Roxx in Stealth Black. The tall and imposing presence while passing by old Scorpio
Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-img_0146.jpg
Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-img_0147.jpg
Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-img_0149.jpg
kgt.v8 is online now   (28) Thanks
Old 20th September 2024, 17:03   #581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgt.v8 View Post
I got to test drive White Roxx AX7L 4x4 diesel automatic. The car has attracted lot of customers and all tables in the showroom were filled with people. The showroom test drive is given only for about 4-5 kms as there is long queue for test drive. The test drive is on well laid tarmac road without any potholes, so I could not test the feel inside the cabin when going over potholed ridden holes near my area.

Is it by any chance VVC in Kondapur? I was planning to visit them but have had very bad experiences in the past with them.
blogslogger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2024, 17:43   #582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blogslogger View Post
Is it by any chance VVC in Kondapur? I was planning to visit them but have had very bad experiences in the past with them.
Yes, this is VVC Kondapur. My previous experience was not too great with them when I enquired for Scorpio-N couple of months back.
VVC is the only one who has a test drive car available now.
Old 20th September 2024, 18:52   #583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

I will second this whole-heartedly. Test drove the Roxx Petrol AT today. Comparo with the S-N, in no particular order:

1. The width on the Roxx is lesser. SN allows more lateral space between passengers.
2. SN feels more plush somehow - despite the larger touchscreen and huge sunroof on the Roxx. I can possibly compare SN interior quality with a Creta, but definitely not the Roxx’s. I can’t pinpoint on why? - but there seems to have been some cost-cutting on the Roxx interiors. One clear distinction: Roxx’s window glasses are thinner and allow more outside sound into the cabin.
3. SN is also more imposing. Plus, it’s doors have that heaviness, surety and security that the Roxx’s doesn’t.
4. SN has a higher seating position, albeit marginally.
5. The rear of the SN is hideous - and there’s no getting away from the taxi comparison. Roxx looks better from behind (were there no risk of an infraction, I would definitely have had a smart quip! )
6. Over uneven road surfaces, Roxx rides at least 3 notches (yes! 3 notches, not 2 notches) above the SN. Mahindra has done something better with the suspension setup.
7. The Auto-Hold feature on the Roxx is something you will appreciate on a daily basis.
8. Power, pick-up and agility wise, I did not see a major difference. TBH, I was hoping the Roxx would be quicker - purely based on its slightly lighter weight than the SN. That is not the case.
9. Last thoughts: Roxx and SN both drive and feel like a proper SUV. XUV700 has the characterstics of a car (negatives, but also positives!)

Not meaning to disparage: But coming from an SN, Roxx’s interiors somehow seem pedestrian. Same engine, power, torque, charisma, character - yet, there’s something missing. Not being the best of writers - maybe someone else will be able to describe the feeling better.

As a complete vehicle, a plush vehicle - I’d still recommend the SN. But let me also add: EVERY-SINGLE-TIME when driving my SN, I see a Thar on the road, I feel an envy. Go figure!

Last edited by manishk83 : 20th September 2024 at 19:20.
manishk83 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 20th September 2024, 20:38   #584
Senior - BHPian

Checked out the Roxx at the showroom today. Nothing like seeing it in flesh to get an actual perspective.

The design does not look quirky in person. Its a handsome butch SUV with all the shortcomings of the 3 door cleared.
I could take it a step further and say this is an evolution of the M&M historic jeep legacy and not at all a Wrangler copy. This has a distinct identity of its own expecially the 5 door Thar.

- In terms of space inside, it is on the lower side. The RWD version (at the competitive price point) will attract the C1 segment buyers and has the potential to disrupt the market segment.

- The rear step is narrow and placed quite high, so if you have elderly folks in your family and expecting to climb into it, its going to be tough for them. Also knees need to be in good condition to clamber on to this SUV.

- The boot space is in line with C1 segment.

- This can seat 4 adults + 1 kid comfortably. It exhibits that toughness and is a good candidate for country wide touring purposes across the length and breadth of the country.
Considering the rear doors and boot space, it is a practical vehicle and can be used as a daily driver.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 20th September 2024 at 20:41.
for_cars1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th September 2024, 20:40   #585
BHPian

Took a short test drive and can't help, but repeat some points!

Ride quality - While driving, yes, the imperfections were felt and wasn't plush as such. Could be it was a concrete road and hence, the ride quality felt a bit jittery. As a passenger at the rear, I was pretty comfortable and was not thrown around much and was pretty okay, would say Mahindra has paid some attention on the back seat comfort!

Seats - Front seat, well, it is short on thigh support. No two ways about it. Maybe you will get used it. Coming from a sedan, I found the thigh support short. At the rear however, the thigh support was marginally better. Could be because, the bench is slightly angled and as you do not sit flat, you do get a sense of marginally better thigh support.

Ingress and egress - You have to be fit! Period! Elderly people in your family will hate you!

Drive - Drove a diesel auto (4X4) and did notice some lag initially. Not sure why, but found the engine and gearbox set up (diesel, auto, 4X4) much better and smooth in Scorpio N. Could be just me.

Space/Interiors - No doubt, the all white color and the massive sunroof does make the interior look spacious, but for people with slightly larger frame, space could seem limited and narrow. Given the straight and slightly narrow rear window panels, when looking out, you do feel you are seated in a not so spacious car.

Feel - Apart from the door handles (outside), bonnet clips, and few bits inside the cabin, the vehicle felt pretty solid and had some sort of heft in general!

Sound/Noise inside the cabin - Was impressed with this! Was on a pretty busy road and did not hear any outside noise/sound inside the cabin. Other than the A/C blower, I could continue with a pretty soft conversation with my friend and we both agreed how silent it was inside the cabin.

Am on the fence and would wait for early issues/niggles to be highlighted before taking a plunge!

Last edited by vinair : 20th September 2024 at 20:46.
vinair is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks