Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2024, 21:30   #526
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Roxx Review

Well Roxx has rocked the market, seeing plenty of 3 door Thar’s and Jimmy’s being posted by used car dealers in my city.
Facebook marketplace place as well is full of them.
Roxx will take a big chunk out off a lot of segments, it is an end of the road for Jimmny here in our country, even companies like Renault would be left wondering what to do with models like Duster.
Rajjaiswal92 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2024, 09:39   #527
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post

Seating and space:

Front: Reasonably comfortable, I was eventually able to find my driving position, which worked. (I'm 6.2+)
There is quite lot of criticism about the lack of adequate thigh support in the drivers' seat. With your height, how did you find this aspect in terms of comfort?

I am the same height of you and in my current 3 door Thar, I find the thigh support is not great, but not to the extent where it feels bothersome. Probably down to my preferred driving position, which is more sedan like, where I keep the seat lower and backrest somewhat reclined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird_7 View Post
1) Biggest letdown is front seats. The base is too short in length and it tapers down which makes it worse for under thigh support, will be an issue during long distance travel.
What seat height had you set when you observed this? My 3-door Thar's driver seat height adjustment is a pivot type mechanism, where the back side of the seat is raised or lowered when doing the seat height adjustment, the whole seat does not move up and down like in most luxury cars.

So if you try to select the highest seat height, the back part is raised and front may appear to slope down. But in most hight settings, and definitely in the lower and medium seat height settings, the back is indeed lower than the front of the seat in my Thar. This is more comfortable, as the full length of the seat base can be used for thigh support.

As the seating position in the Thar is already so high, and visibility is so good, I have never had to set the seat to max height. I generally keep it lower for a more comfortable seating and driving position for my height.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 16th September 2024 at 09:49.
84.monsoon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2024, 10:35   #528
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
There is quite lot of criticism about the lack of adequate thigh support in the drivers' seat. With your height, how did you find this aspect in terms of comfort?

I am the same height of you and in my current 3 door Thar, I find the thigh support is not great, but not to the extent where it feels bothersome. Probably down to my preferred driving position, which is more sedan like, where I keep the seat lower and backrest somewhat reclined.
The seat base is short (with a sloping edge) and there is no doubt on that. But at least during my short test-drive and otherwise trying it out in the showroom, it wasn't immediately an issue. Probably for 3 reasons:
1) I also put the seat all the way down, and when you do that, the back of the seat goes in deeper than the front, thereby increasing thigh support.
2) Unlike some of the youtubers. I'm not fat enough from the wrong places , to further reduce the under-thigh support.
3) I didn't use the seat for long enough, real test could be driving for 1+hr.

Under-thigh support is an issue in any car for me, after driving for 1.5-2 hours I need to take a break or adjust the seat to a different position.
SLK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2024, 12:22   #529
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Im also 6.2 ft in height and I used to put the seat right back in the Thar 3 door which I owned. I also used to keep the height at the lowest position. However I used to fiddle with the back rest a bit so that I would get maximum support.

Mine was an early car hence I also had the lumbar support which was adjusted to the max. But the footwell was cramped for my left foot. And the under thigh support was definitely lacking.

In my old Yeti, I could go for long drives with no issues. The seating position was perfect as was the under thigh support.

In my 2012 R56 Mini Cooper the seating position is great and very ‘involving’ but I prefer to stretch every few hours. In the newer Mini Coopers (F56) etc they have given an extender to the squab and that is a big help on long drives. The extender gives fantastic under thigh support, almost upto the back of the knees.

The Jimny is comfortable overall but the legs cannot be stretched to the fullest. Hence it is necessary to stop and stretch.

The Kona is very much like the Yeti. Plenty of thigh support and leg room.

The new Thar Roxx definitely needs better under thigh support. I did not however, check on whether it has the same kind of lumbar support as my 3 door Thar had. I missed checking that bit yesterday. I generally prefer to get out and stretch every few hours, because otherwise it is possible to develop cramps and even deep vein thrombosis which I do not wish for.

Another point, ideally Thar Roxx should have had a roof rain water channel along its length like the old Bolero used to. It is a very useful and functional thing.

Last edited by Turbanator : 16th September 2024 at 16:32. Reason: Added additional point as asked.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2024, 12:56   #530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxy.danger View Post
Winner-winner chicken dinner for Mahindra.
Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-img_4701.jpg

I think the white interior is inspired from some Naughty Engineer(s) may be a Tbhp'n too (wink wink) who wanted to pull a fast one on their boss.

Pic from - Credit to the owner.
https://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comme...ork/?rdt=61160

Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-vkogyzn.jpg
svsantosh is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 16th September 2024, 14:29   #531
BHPian

Quote:

What seat height had you set when you observed this? My 3-door Thar's driver seat height adjustment is a pivot type mechanism
It was at somewhere mid position, I tried all the way up to down but could not find a comfortable position. When the seat is way down the arms are in an uncomfortably stretched position. Just to make sure that I am not being overly cynic, I tried SN and XUV700 in the showroom, and instantly realised that it is a problem with Roxx. The position of legs is like sitting on a low bench, maybe it has to do with my preferred driving position but it is definitely not as comfortable as other vehicles.
Old 16th September 2024, 15:27   #532

I had a short test ride of the Diesel automatic 4x4 yesterday of the Thar Roxx. As owner of the 3 door diesel manual Thar,
Following are my comments:

1. Whereas the 3 door Thar looks like a perfectly crafted designer's dream, the Thar Roxx looks stretched, or rather dwarfed.

2. I didn't like the lines on the doors below the window panes. May be they are placed the same way as the 3 door Thar, but because of the increase in length, the lines carried forward to the rear doors, makes it a little odd. As if the lines run a little below than where these lines generally run through. They make the door look smaller in length and also overall, looks like someone put the car under the Hydraulic press to increase the length.

3. The design elements look cluttered, interior quality, be it plastics or the arm rests, do not feel premium.

4. The electronic power steering makes the drive similar to Scorpio N. Although driving dynamics of the car are excellent, I want to know from the fellow members about the seating position wrt Thar 3 door.

For automatic buyers, 17.49 lakhs for mx3 diesel is a dampener, whereas 15lakh is ex showroom for petrol automatic is a great deal. The deal breaker for me is the mileage and it looks like I am going to keep my 3 door diesel Thar.

Would love to hear more from the design enthusiasts in this forum on the Thar Roxx.

Regards,
Jumper

Last edited by KarthikK : 16th September 2024 at 15:31. Reason: Minor edit
jumper_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2024, 18:33   #533
BHPian

I recently went to a Mahindra showroom for accessories on my SN. I maybe biased because I have just bought an SN (and I did not test drive the Roxx):

1. Getting in or out, Roxx doesn’t feel as imposing as the SN.
2. The doors on the Roxx are more puny/ lighter.
3. The under-thigh support on the Roxx on the driver’s seat is a couple of notches lower.

On the positives:
1. The rear legroom is larger than the SN.
2. The cabin feels more welcoming and airier because of the white/ beige treatment - makes it feel like a CUV inside, rather than an SUV. And let not the entire hullabaloo over maintaining the white interiors distract you - in India, we all have our weekly cleanup of the interiors from the car-wash guy. It should be sufficient!
3. The lighter weight (eg. the door) may make the Thar sportier than the SN.
4. So much has been said about the C-Pillar triangle. In-person, it is NOT an eyesore. It does not take away from the Thar ‘looks’ in any way!!

Given my needs, desires & aspirations, SN is the vehicle for me. However, Roxx makes so much more sense over a Creta. Potential niggles aside!

Last edited by manishk83 : 16th September 2024 at 18:46.
manishk83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2024, 20:08   #534
BHPian

Here is a offroading comparo:

amrutmhatre90 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th September 2024, 10:57   #535
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (14)

Would anyone with a twitter account please tweet Mr anand mahindra, and please ask him WHY did they make the the insides of the Roxx white

Petition to have a black or brown cabin!

Mod Note : Abusive language – whether used directly or indirectly - is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. A decent communication protocol must be adhered to. Foul language and the use of abusive words / photographs in posts / avatars / signatures / topics are STRICTLY prohibited.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 18th September 2024 at 16:39. Reason: Mod note attached.
lemedico is offline   (4) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 17th September 2024, 11:21   #536
vij
BHPian

I love Roxx in white, but the door hinges look oddly conspicuous in that color. Anyone has ideas to mask that a lil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
Would anyone with a twitter account please tweet Mr anand mahindra, and please ask him WHY did they make the the insides of the Roxx white

Petition to have a black or brown cabin!
White interior it is Does not suit the Roxx at all.

Last edited by Sheel : 18th September 2024 at 16:40. Reason: Quoted post is edited. Thanks.
Old 17th September 2024, 13:00   #537
BHPian

Quote:
On this topic, is there an option to get the seat modified by an external seat/upholstery company to add the thigh support or maybe seat covers itself with this feature?Not ideal but this could solve it for some?
Old 17th September 2024, 14:02   #538
BHPian

Had a brief look at the Roxx yesterday. Was crossing a Mahindra showroom and stopped by, Could barely spend a few minutes as it was well past their closing time

First Impressions +

Imposing, Spacious, Good Looking

First Impressions -

- The lack of under thigh support on the Driver seat is a reality, it seems like a seat design flaw vs. an adjustment issue
- The White Interiors, While making the car look spacious, were already so soiled. This with the car being at the showroom only for a day. Extremely impractical
- The lack of a bottle holder on the door pads is inexplicable

Will have a closer look over the weekend and hopefully get a test drive too.

I'd be surprised if this doesn't impact cars a segment below and above both. Dent their sales or not, it will eat into some of their share for sure
amit_2025 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2024, 14:08   #539

Does anyone have any update of TD available in Pune? I called 2 dealers 1 didnt answer at all and the other just said next week and hung up.
Old 17th September 2024, 16:11   #540

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul_ak View Post
Does anyone have any update of TD available in Pune? I called 2 dealers 1 didnt answer at all and the other just said next week and hung up.
Sahyadri Motors, Baner have started TDs from 14th Sep, they have both Petrol and Diesel AT for Test Drive and AX5L for display.
cc_unlimited is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks