Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2024, 11:12   #181
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Roxx Review

Jaggu and Aditya, thanks for a detailed review. 5 stars indeed.

From a second generation Scorpio, this is a giant leap when it comes to tech, comfort, driving dynamics and a few class leading features.

I think for families looking for style and comfort will opt for the RWD versions and they are priced sensibly by MandM

For others looking for some real offroading capabilities (like me) will wait for the 4x4 pricing. From what I am seeing it could be upwards of 21.5 or 22L ex showroom, which would work out in the range of 25-27L OTR

Expect Mahindra to gradually increase the prices once they see their order books
diwakarmuthu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2024, 12:05   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk83 View Post
You are right. If sunroof is not a requirement, Roxx MX3 is very competitive. However, for only an additional 1.2L (over the 19.6 for Z4 PAT), you can get the Z8S PAT in the ScorpioN which to my mind is a very well-priced version.
Thank you for adding more confusion in the mix!

For quite sometime now, I have been eyeing the Thar 3D RWD as a second car and I convinced myself i don't need the 5D version. But seeing the Roxx, the interiors seem far more polished and refined. Based on the reviews, it can be also assumed the ride quality is much better than the 3D (not a high bar to cross, mind).

I am targeting the MX5 PAT which is a cool 5l more than the LX - P RWD OTR, but then again looking at the overlap with the ScorpioN, I am in a dilemma.

Any guess what the waiting period will be for the Roxx? Almost wishing that it will be so long, I can simply drop it and purchase the 3D.
Mike_Schumacher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2024, 12:33   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santy19 View Post
IMO Thar roxx is playing a zero sum game rather than a positive sum game.
I dont feel this is true for everyone. I stayed away from the 3 door Thar for some of the major reasons:
1) lack of space in back seat and non -existent boot space for my road trips
2) boaty suspension
3) Hydraulic steering which is way too hard
4) Lack of ADAS features - i use it extensively and i find its a game changer for longer drives and reduces my fatigue by 80%.

I do want a true 4x4 and the thar ROXX (inspite of that ugly side door) would fix all the above issues for me.. so for me i was never a 3 door thar customer hence no cannibalization of sales..

Last edited by Turbanator : 20th August 2024 at 20:15. Reason: Quoted post trimmed.
originalamit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2024, 13:11   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwakarmuthu View Post
Jaggu and Aditya, thanks for a detailed review. 5 stars indeed.

From a second generation Scorpio, this is a giant leap when it comes to tech, comfort, driving dynamics and a few class leading features.

I think for families looking for style and comfort will opt for the RWD versions and they are priced sensibly by MandM

For others looking for some real offroading capabilities (like me) will wait for the 4x4 pricing. From what I am seeing it could be upwards of 21.5 or 22L ex showroom, which would work out in the range of 25-27L OTR

Expect Mahindra to gradually increase the prices once they see their order books
The Scorpio N launch script is playing out here. As we get closer to the bookings, M&M will launch the pricing of 4x4 and I will be surprised if the premium is <2L. As the introductory pricing gets over, the higher variants will not see much price increase but the mid and lower variants will see significant pricing.

I am not sure it will be easy to shift families to Roxx - it will be a gradual shift. Most families might perceive Roxx to be more intimidating and needing more parking space - compared to the likes of Creta/Seltos, Grand Vitara. I say so as the sales people of these competition will start highlighting the comfort of monocoques ease of maintenance, trying to undermine the capabilities of Roxx. The ride comfort (vs. monocoques) will be a big factor for families as a typical Indian family includes young kids and/or grand parents.

Last edited by atluri_rkc : 20th August 2024 at 13:40.
atluri_rkc is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th August 2024, 13:51   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

ROXX poses with the MM550

Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-smartselect_20240820135054_instagram.jpg

Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-smartselect_20240820134919_instagram.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th August 2024, 16:46   #186
BHPian

Has the "Kitna deti hai" question been answered for Thar ROXX? Curious to see how much more mileage the RWD will return in comparison to the 4X4.
nTorq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2024, 18:03   #187
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nTorq View Post
Has the "Kitna deti hai" question been answered for Thar ROXX? Curious to see how much more mileage the RWD will return in comparison to the 4X4.
I have seen youtubers report 11.5 to 12 with mix of highway and city driving on the RWD Diesel
vij is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2024, 18:48   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vij View Post
I have seen Youtubers report 11.5 to 12 with mix of highway and city driving on the RWD Diesel
This is something to be mindful about when considering this car.

With relatively heavy kerb weight and 2.2/2L engines, it’s going to drink fuel.

The real pleasure of this vehicle is in its ability to provide exceptional ride quality and comfort over varied surfaces.
GoBlue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2024, 19:03   #189
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post
This is something to be mindful about when considering this car.

Let's not discount bigger engines' fuel efficiency (FE) out on the highway. These bigger engines (as opposed to 1.2L or 1.5L engines) spin relaxed at lower RPMs at highway speeds and this translates to better FE on long highway trips.

The bigger engines will surely disappoint in stop and go conditions, which is where smaller engines typically excel.

Edit: What I'm trying to say here is that the Thar Roxx should be tested properly on the highway only. I am aware that some reviewer has done exactly that and still obtained only 11.5 to 13 Kmpl; but he did admit that he was driving pretty quickly all along...you'd want to find the sweet spot for this engine and body contour (with aerodynamics in mind) and at that sweet spot, i am sure the Thar Roxx can return good numbers. (E.g., with the 1st gen petrol Swift, my friend and I had tested and concluded a decade ago that 2000 RPM on the highway in 5th gear was the sweet spot to achieve 18 to 20 kmpl)

Last edited by locusjag : 20th August 2024 at 19:08.
locusjag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2024, 19:09   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

Test drives start from 14th Sept and Bookings open on 3rd Oct.

Mahindra Thar Roxx Review-20240820_190810.jpg

Ad film

Last edited by Venkatesh : 20th August 2024 at 19:24.
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2024, 19:43   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshannamalai View Post
Is the Scorpio-N superior to the Roxx?
@Jaggu, @Aditya: A feedback will be much appreciated. Apart from the driving, handling and NVH - do the extra 25 horses (203 BHP vs 175 BHP) show up in real-world performance for the ScorpioN Petrol AT or would you rate it at par with the ROXX?

Not being able to test drive the ROXX for another month, only you guys can answer this!
manishk83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2024, 20:08   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santy19 View Post
People who want a off-roader will prefer the 3-door Thar, People who want a plush car they will get the XUV700, the people who want a bit of both will get the Scorpio-n.
It will be the Thar 2 door which will have its sales eaten by Roxx. Its the same in the american market where 80% of the Jeeps are the 4 door variant.

I hope this wakes Mahindra to the opportunity of having the 2 door thar with no extra fancy features for doing rugged Farm work as currently after the previous Gen Thar DI there is no replacement for the same.

Thar DIs are going at a premium in the used market. SO mahindra marketing here is your chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Yeah...not going to happen. Mahindra marketing says such a beast will not sell in India.
Drool worthy vehicle. I wish we had something rugged and functional. I do not care for the sun roof.
The stance and that engine sound is just great to ear in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
ROXX poses with the MM550
There is a huge segment which is missing out the MM540. We are stuck with Bolero Pickup which can only be registered as a cab for rough work and you are unable to use it as a people carrier.

I wish we get something basic for that segment. The rural segment wants something which is totally lacking in the current offerings.

Last edited by Turbanator : 20th August 2024 at 20:14. Reason: Quoted posts/ links trimmed.
maddy42 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th August 2024, 21:25   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Let's not discount bigger engines' fuel efficiency (FE) out on the highway. These bigger engines (as opposed to 1.2L or 1.5L engines) spin relaxed at lower RPMs at highway speeds and this translates to better FE on long highway trips.

The bigger engines will surely disappoint in stop and go conditions, which is where smaller engines typically excel.

Edit: What I'm trying to say here is that the Thar Roxx should be tested properly on the highway only. I am aware that some reviewer has done exactly that and still obtained only 11.5 to 13 Kmpl; but he did admit that he was driving pretty quickly all along...you'd want to find the sweet spot for this engine and body contour (with aerodynamics in mind) and at that sweet spot, i am sure the Thar Roxx can return good numbers. (E.g., with the 1st gen petrol Swift, my friend and I had tested and concluded a decade ago that 2000 RPM on the highway in 5th gear was the sweet spot to achieve 18 to 20 kmpl)
Just because this car is pitted against some rivals that are suited for regular office commutes, doesn’t mean that Thar could automatically qualify for that role.

It may be great at it, but city FE is likely to be in single digits. Especially given crazy traffic throughout the year.

Highway FE may also not be anything great. And not many would want to buy this only as a highway car.

It’s a heavy car with big engines pitted against lighter rivals with smaller engines.

As long as potential buyers accept this, would make living with the car easier over time.

Last edited by GoBlue : 20th August 2024 at 21:29.
GoBlue is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2024, 21:26   #194
BHPian

Saw this while surfing the net. Interestingly, there are enough prospective buyers who find the design elements distasteful. Especially the B Pillar to C Pillar area and the lack of seamless roof line.

Looks like one such prospective buyer let some rant loose on Pratap Bose, the design head of Thar Roxx. That did not go well both ways.

Sharing the link "as is" given there have been loads of discussions on this topic here as well.

https://www.cartoq.com/car-news/mahi...bose-response/

Last edited by graaja : 21st August 2024 at 05:47. Reason: Disclaimer not needed for sharing a public article :)
nareshtrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2024, 21:31   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
Drove from Kochi to Pune via Mangalore - ... I had the diesel AT 4x2 with me for the stint. ... Attaching a picture
It looks fabulous in the pic, is this the forest green shade?

Its a known fact that M&M will definitely launch a variant with darker interiors/(brownish like the one in Scorpio-N)

Why not surprise and also reward buyers who are booking early and offer the option of brown interiors from day 1. M&M are you listening ?
It will save the early adopters from white interior persistent frustration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post

Surprisingly, haven't come across a single mention about the Roxx' unladen weight. Even the official specs doesn't mention its weight. Wonder how much does it weigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post

Ad film
The Ad looks hilarious. The driver slots into D mode and the Roxx flies in the air and lands straight in Ladakh

Last edited by for_cars1 : 20th August 2024 at 21:39.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks