Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2024, 19:06   #106
BHPian

Re: Citroen Basalt Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Has the top end AT turbo petrol price been leaked or is Citroen testing the waters here?

citroen-basalt-turbo-petrol-at-max-top-variant-price-leaks-via-website.

There is definitely a concerted effort by PR companies to project this as a successful launch (every company does it these days) so I am not sure if this is the actual price or a fake one put out to gauge interest.
This was first picked up by bhpian ramki.grandhi in post#16.

Rushlane always has this habit of picking up posts from team-bhp and making it into an article 🤷🏼.

I don't think it was a deliberate leak. Without our bhpian's post, this wouldn't have come to the eyes of general public (especially Rushlane).
Attached Thumbnails
Citroen Basalt Review-img_20240810_185027.jpg  

Sudarshan_N is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2024, 20:22   #107
e46
BHPian

Posting after a while here.

Well, those nitpicking on the Basalt need to take a break. It's a 4.3 m compact car at the price of a <4 m!

I don't think we have seen this kind of pricing in the recent past from any OEMs. For those looking for a bigger car with a tight budget, this is a no brainer.

I sincerely feel there is a need for a price correction in the market.

Last edited by Aditya : 11th August 2024 at 05:07. Reason: Typo
e46 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 10th August 2024, 22:23   #108
Team-BHP Support

Some Off Cuts from the drive

One's first impression is that it is built to a cost, saying that the space and convenience offered for the price is worth considering

It might lack the small things but the mechanical bits were spot on. The engine is peppy, you can gauge the strong mid-range acceleration judging by the frequent 80km/h pinging on Goa's roads quite frequently. The auto transmission downshifts easily. On Goa's rutted roads, the Basalt was stable and kept going. Despite some roll, the chassis grips. I enjoyed it!

The stereo is decent and controls fall to hand

Stuff that I did not like
  • Built to a price
  • Playskool plastics on the lower dash and doors.
  • Sound insulation is poor - you hear everything except rattles
  • Engine sounds like a Maruti 800 but whines under load
  • For my 6 ft frame, the seats felt short and the contour of the base was a little too convex.

Would i have considered this over the Elevate that I recently bought? If 6 lakhs cheaper - may be. It is the unknowns - long term reliability and service that would detract me, but as a inner city bomber, it hits the spot!

Last edited by ajmat : 11th August 2024 at 11:48.
ajmat is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 11th August 2024, 00:23   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

Steering

However, enthusiasts won't like the disconnected feeling of the steering and the vagueness in the centre.
Most of the reviewers have issues with the steering; is it that bad?

My personal take:

C3 and C3 aircross missed the basic features, which are now covered in basalt. Don't forget about the pricing. At 7.99, nobody in the universe will provide you Panoramic sunroof (as an example). Tell me one company that has been showing more interest in India than Citroen. They keep getting better, and we should applaud their intentions.*

We were dissatisfied with Nissan and Honda's intentions and investment in India, but now that Citroen is showing willingness to invest, we are making issue out of every small thing.
GhostGrid is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th August 2024, 05:28   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostGrid View Post
Most of the reviewers have issues with the steering; is it that bad?
It is not a deal breaker. Overall, in terms of ride and handling, this car is right at the top of the charts. The drivetrain is very enjoyable too.

The 8 lakh ex-showroom price is for the base non-turbo MT. Do wait for Citroen to reveal the prices of all variants.

Also, be sure that you have a dealer / service centre that's easily reachable. That's very important. You do not want to travel too far just to get your car fixed. Some news for you - Citroen plans to have 200 touchpoints across the country by the end of 2024. Right now, they have just 85!
Aditya is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th August 2024, 15:26   #111
Senior - BHPian

Went for a short test drive today. It was that short that I really can't say anything about the engine's performance. What I could note, I am mentioning below.

The ride is comfortable, for sure. My Kushaq with 16 inch wheels is close. But Basalt is bit more comfortable. Just a bit.

Rear seat leg room is tremendous. And this after the driver's seat was set to my driving position (my height 183 cm / 6ft). The recline angle was good too.

How small things matter. The brake pedal is now a proper automatic pedal, unlike the C3 Aircross, where it was the same narrow one, like in the manual cars. It was a big minus point for me. Now fixed

The car, thanks to its shape, looks smaller than it actually is. The C3 Aircross looks huge in comparision. And I kid you not, it can easily be mistaken as a sibling of the first gen Dzires. Meaning, it looks like a chubby sedan. And a go anywhere kind of a sedan.

Fit and finish is nowhere close to my Kushaq (Ambition). It's closer to my 2019 Tigor XZA. Especially the plastics. I will not call them cheap. But, you will make out that they have been built to keep costs in check.

That cheap feeling, due to feature omissions, is not there anymore. The feeling of compromise is not there. But, you will have to make peace with what you are getting. If you are expecting a 'premium' or an 'upgrade' over your sub 4 metre car, this is not it.

If you can imagine stepping out of a Kiger and sitting in a Nexon, that is the closest I can explain the difference between quality levels of Basalt and Curvv.

The Curvv EV that I saw in the showroom is easily 6-8 lakhs more expensive than the top end Basalt. Perhaps, once the base and mid variants of a Curvv petrol are out, a better comparison is in order.

The 4.3 metre segment is so big now, that it's being fragmented into sub segments. Coupe SUV has now become one. And in that too, the Basalt belongs to the lower, more affordable category. And the Curvv, maybe the mid and top of that sub segment. And like I said in the Curvv thread, customers of the Curvv and Basalt are not the same.

I liked the Basalt enough, that I will take missus for a test drive. If she likes it, I wouldn't mind having it in our garage and saving a couple of lakhs, in the process. But, won't make the booking till the time an NCAP rating is out.

I did give a feedback to the Citroen dealer that they should offer the 1.2 Naturally Aspirated variant in the top end trim too. And that the naturally aspirated variants should have the torque converter automatic transmission as well. Not everyone requires a turbo petrol. My missus would have been perfectly fine with the top variant of the 1.2 NA TC.

A Sunday in a Citroen showroom and a Tata showroom are two different things. Citroen had around 10 prospective customers. Most were interested in the Basalt. No cars were being delivered. On the other hand, eight cars were lined up for delivery (I counted) at the Tata showroom and innumerable people had filled the hall inside. Several people in and around the Curvv.

But, I have seen Tata's bad days too. We have been Tata customers since the early 2000s and what Citroen showroom is today was once the past of a Tata showroom. Citroen is on a right path (now) and as an enthusiast, I wish them to succeed.

If the missus okays and the NCAP (B or G) okays, then an upgrade of our Tigor is in order.

Last edited by Aditya : 11th August 2024 at 20:43. Reason: Back to back posts merged
ashutoshb is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 11th August 2024, 18:42   #112

Citroen have finally got the value-for-money proposition right and if they do something about the situation with their limited dealership options, it can make the Basalt a very practical option in the range. However, this car is not a personal favourite of mine and I believe that there's a few reason that the other cars at this price still would impress me a bit more:

Features
My top end Grand i10 from about a decade ago (which costs around 9 lakh ex showroom accounting for inflation) had keyless entry and go, it seems like Citroen has improved on the features front but the cost cutting is evident when you see such basic features omitted.

Dealership and After Sales
Stellantis needs to get its brand strategy and dealership situation together. The dead horse that is Jeep gets itself beaten as dealerships expand, yet Citroen is still not present in most tier-2 cities.It seems like they really missed an opportunity to integrate a few of their brands together and pull of something better than their half-baked dealerships. Their small network of company outlets makes after sales dubious.

But, despite this, the main factor happens to be that.

The competition is simply better.

You want a car equipped with ADAS and other shiny features under a million rupees? The Korean twins say hello. A 5-star rated car with rugged build quality and a funky, futuristic design? The homegrown Nexon is always available. The only upgrade it has over these is the coupe SUV body style which makes it the best looking "SUV" in this price segment, but the Curvv does better and is likely to be way safer (I'm anticipating another 5 star result) and have a stronger build thanks to its Tata Motors DNA.

Besides, around 11-12 lakh, I'd rather look at the Honda Amaze (for the sake of practicality and reliability), or go for something fun to drive such as the Altroz Racer or the i20 N Line, or spend a lakh or two more to get a base model Honda City/Volkswagen Virtus/Skoda Slavia/Hyundai Verna, all very able cars.

Last edited by KarthikK : 11th August 2024 at 18:46.
idontdrivedoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2024, 04:31   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
These things are always put up in presentations, but till the car is tested, we do not comment on its ratings.
I was really happy to see Crash-Rating is gaining importance if not with customers then atleast by reviewers now. I hope such special mention on Crash-Star-Rating would be par for course now-on in even new Maruti Launches as well. More than 1 maruti Suzuki car has had Zero Star ratings in past, but i dont recall that it has been mentioned in new car review of Maruti-Suzuki as to how many of their sibling cars or whether the previous generation car had Zero star ratings. (Swift is an example for one.) Afterall Maruti being the market leader, it's policies drive the rest of the competitor's policies as well with Maruti's low-price offerings and long retained market share.

Anyway since this pricing is only for base variant now, hoping to see good price for Turbo variants as well. Did you all get to drive only top variants or even MT - NA model was also given for ride? Any idea what is the vehicle Weight and whether a 82 PS motor feels under-powered for this weight class?

Last edited by anu21v : 12th August 2024 at 04:48.
Old 12th August 2024, 04:40   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post

I have hardly seen Citroen in Chandigarh or Hyderabad. That's primarily because people want to be seen in better looking cars and some Tata cars have created that sort of a niche. Totally opposite of what it was seen as a decade ago.
Chandigarh / Punjab Loves diesel, No chance for a petrol only manufacturer in this region.

Lately I have seen all variants / Models of Citroen in various colours on Noida/Gr Noida Expressway. Be it C3 (gas), C3 Electric, C3 Aircross or even C5. ( I have seen few Seals and many BYDs as well on this road)

Seems like either Noida/Delhi dealer is doing a good job or if not then Noida/Delhi customers are more warm towards a Newer Brand.
Old 12th August 2024, 07:11   #115
BHPian

At 7.99 lakh introductory price this looks like a steal. The Basalt is competing with Curvv and at this cost it is a no brainer. The company is serious to make inroads in the country.The Air cross with added 3rd row didn't work. I feel they are catching up finally to what works in India.
Old 12th August 2024, 08:49   #116
Senior - BHPian

Front page advertisement in Times of India. Marketing strategy has changed, for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Citroen Basalt Review-img_20240812_0836552.jpg  

ashutoshb is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th August 2024, 09:30   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
Front page advertisement in Times of India. Marketing strategy has changed, for sure.
Now Citroen has to focus on expanding their service network across the country. A good service network is a compelling assurance & confidence booster to a potential car buyer about the intent and direction, the car manufacturer is pursuing.

The things that are holding me back with regard to Citroen.

1. The service network, cost & timely availablity of the spares
2. My brother's advice not to opt for a French car. He lived in France and has formed some non flattering opinion about the French automobile companies.
3. Safety rating unknown.

The things that attract me to Basalt.

1. The Coupe shape
2. The base variant price of INR 7.99 L Ex-showroom.
3. The ride quality and comfort. Citroen is said to excel in this sphere.
4. The rear passenger space
ashkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2024, 09:50   #118
BHPian

I too test drove the Basalt.

My thoughts :

Space is amazing. Was test driving for a friend who is 6 feet 3 (and generously built). We had gone to the Tata showroom first. He could not even get into the Curv. When he finally squeezed in, and set the driver seat at rearmost position, and lowest setting, his knees were touching the steering wheel.

No such problem with the Basalt. He was able to enter easily, and sit comfortably.

Rear seat is also spacious and comfortable.

The turbo petrol automatic is a hoot to drive. Really enjoyable. Can be chucked around corners.

Has the essentials - wireless android auto, wireless charging and a decent sounding music system.

No autochromic IRVM is a pain.

No sunroof - which for me is a plus.

The entire look and feel, including the interiors, is very European. Stylish. And doors are chunky. No flimsy Maruti build here.

All in all, am seriously considering this for the missus.

Does not have all the bells and whistles of say a Hyundai (which anyway never get used). But the basics are really good.

Waiting to see what is the safety rating they get.
argho is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th August 2024, 11:28   #119
Senior - BHPian

According to some very unofficial sources there are unreliable rumours that following Citroens more India centric market approach it's decided to take a more traditional methodology to announce prices. The french company is on the hunt for the perfect cosmic alignment to unveil the prices for the rest of their lineup—because, you know, automotive pricing is apparently governed by the stars now. A tender has been issued for a decent astrologer. As they debate the best date to drop this news—perhaps a full moon on a Sunday—rumor has it they’re aiming for a grand reveal before the end of FY25, which gives us plenty of time to guess prices. Meanwhile, they’re still happily accepting bookings like a restaurant that promises to serve food, but with no idea when the menu prices will be finalized! Cmon Citroen!
shortbread is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2024, 11:39   #120
BHPian

Forgot to mention one point.

As mentioned in the reviews, there is no underbody protection. However, an engine guard ( in tough plastic) is available as a OEM fitment option. I have installed this in my C3 at the time of delivery. Costs somewhere around 3500 bucks if I remember.

Do get this installed WITHOUT fail!
Nanolover is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks