Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2024, 15:12   #46
BHPian

Re: Citroen Basalt Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Guys please be responsible and don't spam the thread with posts mentioning this feature is missing and that feature is missing which has become a trend in the forum.
Haters gonna hate hehe! I feel we need to appreciate Citroen for a truly jaw-dropping pricing proposition! As a better and evolved C3, I feel it's superb value!
SithDefender is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 15:14   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi View Post
3D visualization is showing 13.57 lacs as starting price for top variant. Not sure if this is a mistake or a ballpark number
Could the 13.57L be the ex-showroom price of the top-end AT variant?
Knightrider is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 15:24   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
On the Star rating it seems Carwale is mentioning that the Crash Rating has been improved and is likely to be a 5-star now.

https://www.carwale.com/citroen-cars...-drive-review/

Did the Sales team from Citroen did not disclose this to Team-bhp or was this items not discussed at all.
These things are always put up in presentations, but till the car is tested, we do not comment on its ratings.

Quote:
Also, Given the pricing has been released, can we put a spec and price comparison chart with the nearest car?
Only the price of the base NA petrol MT has been disclosed. Nothing has been said about the turbo or variants. Let's wait.
Aditya is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 15:27   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Being attractive to the taxi segment is a good point. For one It'll instantly boost Citroen's sales, but more importantly the kind of running taxis do, Citroens will be more visible on the road and improve the brand's presence. It's the ideal package as well, NA engine, big boot, spacious interiors, good ground clearance etc..

Even today Dzire shifts 13-14k units, mostly taxis. Even a fraction of that will be huge boost to Citroen.
Am not sure how being attractive to the taxi segment will be good for Citroen. That will be the last thing they would want out of the Basalt. Citroen would want the regular Indian customer to own their cars first and get volumes out of it.

Anyways without going further off topic, I hope the Indian customer entertains the Basalt with their money.
Old 9th August 2024, 15:27   #50
BHPian

I have huge respect for Citroen for launching this car. C3 Aircross and Basalt should give them a very needed market penetration. Agreed that they are not offering feature rich cars - but they are good to drive, looks and feel better than the other options within this price bracket.
Good to know that this release gave C3 and C3 Aircross some updates that were required.

Anyone planning to buy a car within 10-15 lakhs budget - please look into these.
psmenon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 15:34   #51

This should be a winner. I don't think a few missing features should in practice affect anything - a sunroof is a liability in India, ADAS tends to be underbaked and ineffectual in Indian conditions, and cruise control is a 50/50 - most roads don't naturally lend themselves to mile after mile of steady state cruising. What you have left then is a fundamentally strong package - good engine, good handling, robust (if unflashy) build and genuinely strong comfort at a undercutting price. I doubt Citroen will get the sales kudos they deserve, but I think to offer a genuinely good car (instead of a flimsy package dolled up with glitzy features) at this price should earn them a good slice of the market.
rb003 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 15:56   #52
Senior - BHPian

For a base price of 8 lakh rupees, people are getting a very big car, space is something that cannot be bought later! Customers can always add accessories incrementally later on!

I think the starting price is a killer, someone going after hatchback like Wagon-R/Grand i10 Nios can put extra money and get the base version.

Also, if the base price is any indicator of how much the top variants of the Basalt will cost, I think cars like Maruti Fronx turbo variant will start feeling a bit more expensive than it already is.
NiInJa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 16:00   #53
BHPian

Appreciate the introductory pricing by Citroen. However, we have to keep one thing in mind. The reviewed car is a top spec model, and the prices definitely will be north to 13 lakhs. What I see here is, we are comparing 8 lakhs with future laden top model.

I am sure, those who are saying that "If I am in the market, I will buy this car at this price", will not buy the stripped-down version. Aspirations of even middle class have changed now. Everyone wants sunroof, cruise control, future laden cabin, automatic (even if it is pathetic AMT). Aspirations combining with easily available car loans make people think on what the best they can still get.

Also, not sure if limited-service network and dealership network will be a point considered while decision-making.

Having said that, I wish all the very best to Citroen and wish we have more and more brands steadily established for better options
Old 9th August 2024, 16:08   #54
Senior - BHPian

There, fixed it. Basalt at 7.99 lakhs. What you see here is what you get.
Attached Thumbnails
Citroen Basalt Review-basalt-you-front.jpg  

Citroen Basalt Review-basalt-rear.jpg  

Citroen Basalt Review-basalt-you-interior.jpg  

ashutoshb is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 16:09   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi View Post
3D visualization is showing 13.57 lacs as starting price for top variant. Not sure if this is a mistake or a ballpark number
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramprakashram View Post
Looks like now they have updated it. It shows now as 7.99 Lakhs as starting price.
Well done buddy. I think this is the catch of the day. This proves 2 points.

1. They are watching this thread
2. They removed it which means it was meant to be put there and it was indeed a miss to hide it from public. So the pricing is almost true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Citroen had to implement a bold strategy to entice Indian consumers to invest their hard-earned money in a relatively unfamiliar brand, addressing the inherent fears and uncertainties associated with it. The Basalt is precisely the solution, using the compelling value proposition to help allay all those concerns.

The appealing price point is one's incentive to buy the Citroen. It's a good price and the perfect bait to attract buyers who otherwise might not even step into a Citroen showroom, now people will at least check it out.
Well said. As GTO says, there is nothing that a good car cannot solve for any company. This has been proved many times in India. A good car is always a mix of many things and barring few misses, this is a well rounded car with a good intro pricing. They ideally should have started like this with C3 or C5. They did goof up after goof up and now slowly they are learning. Wish them luck.

PS: Flop or not a flop does not a depend on Public. We want the best at the best price. Don't expect sympathy from me in cash. I can give that in words
RaghuVis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 16:11   #56

Good Car, Great Pricing for the base variant, will wait for prices of other variants, I am more inclined towards updated C3 Aircross, any date for its price announcement?
Old 9th August 2024, 16:13   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Guys please be responsible and don't spam the thread with posts mentioning this feature is missing and that feature is missing which has become a trend in the forum. This is really demotivating for people who want to buy something new. What all features can you pack in a car for 7.99L? Citroen is really trying to do something in Indian market unlike some brands which are living in past glory.
Thank you for post. It looks like everyone here only wants to stress on the Features most of which don't even make sense in India such as Sunroof, ADAS etc. Why are we so focused on the negative. It looks like an excellent VFM car with excellent mechanical underpinnings, all the Basic useful features and perfect price point for the package offered. This is supposed to be an automotive forum not a tech forum.
AyushB is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 16:26   #58
BHPian

Enthusiasts like us in the forum hardly forms 8-10 percent of the customer base to which this car is catering to. For the 90 percent, a well rounded car is what makes in the sales. Every offering from MS is by that definition.

And selling to cabbies will make the car prominent on the roads, promotes visibility which Citroen badly needs!
Old 9th August 2024, 16:41   #59
Senior - BHPian

Good review, and very comprehensive (takes me back to the old reviews from before the embargo trend). I’m impressed by the Basalt, more so after the price announcement. It’s stylish, quite well-equipped for the price, and has the basics covered (unlike the earlier C-Cubes). It’s going to be hard to erase the bad rap they’ve got, but a combination of heavy marketing + the deviation from the alphanum names (“Basalt” is one of those names that sticks) + getting (hopefully) a GNCAP rating ought to do it. At least it goes to show they are serious and not just here for the sake of being in India.

I have to ask, though…
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
3-point seatbelts + reminders for all 5 occupants
Do these the beep for unfastened belts even on unoccupied seats, or just light up until a belt is fastened then undone?

Last edited by ron178 : 9th August 2024 at 16:45.
ron178 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 17:07   #60
BHPian

I am happy this segment (coupe-styled) is getting competitors from day-1. Competition is good for us consumers. Observing the forums, both new contenders in this segment are gaining traction from different spectrums of buyers. This will help both sellers keep the prices in check, and ASS and other elements in check. If, this segment picks up good, the established players are going to feel the heat soon. In the next 3 months, we shall know the answer.
TheStoryweaver is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed