Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2024, 11:59   #16
BHPian

Re: Citroen Basalt Review

3D visualization is showing 13.57 lacs as starting price for top variant. Not sure if this is a mistake or a ballpark number

Citroen Basalt Review-screenshot-20240809-11.57.488239am.png
ramki.grandhi is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 12:01   #17
BHPian

Isn't it quite atrocious that an SUV coupe is launched in 2024 without cruise control by a French automaker in India? Even if I were to forget other nice to have features (long list of missing features mentioned in the review). I mean, not a single stand out feature in this car apart from the so-called coupe design.

I mean people would go and buy the next gen Dzire, Amaze or an SUV than this.
NFS2024 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 12:05   #18
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

This feels like too little, too late for Citroen. The car doesn't feel special in any way, feels very cost-cut and they're just trying to lure people with a cheap base-model price. Coupled with the lack of showrooms and service centers, and zero brand-recall, this will be a tough sell. I wish they realized that Indians are more value-sensitive than cost-sensitive. Atleast, they have corrected their previous wrongs by adding more features and not just selling a box.
HartBandit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 12:09   #19
Senior - BHPian

Me likey

I have been saying this in previous threads as well and will repeat myself: This can do for Citroën what Duster did for Renault. Help them gain solid traction in the market finally.

And with the killer starting price, looks like they are pretty serious this time. Some features will be sorely missed like cruise control & paddleshifters though. Never the less, this has the potential to take away good numbers from the whole sub4m crossover bandwagon based on its practicality(passenger room, bootspace etc) & looks

I hope this gains solid traction in our market & they introduce another optional top end with premium features like cruise control, paddles shifters, ventilated seats, 360 degree camera & maybe a panoramic sunroof(please keep this one strictly optional) as well.

Last edited by SoumenD : 9th August 2024 at 12:25.
SoumenD is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 12:12   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Isn't it quite atrocious that an SUV coupe is launched in 2024 without cruise control by a French automaker in India?
But isn't the pricing also reflecting that? They are offering Base & Mid spec variants for now.

Quote:
not a single stand out feature in this car apart from the so-called coupe design.
The standout feature is VFM. A Mid Size Car or SUV for price of Compact Car or SUV.

Quote:
Some customers may consider that they are getting bigger car for price of Dzire or Amaze. Atleast they would go and check out the car, test drive it etc. It is not like entire India only values DZire ZXi or Amaze VX variants. Many People do buy LXi or VXi or S or SV variants. Citroen is directly offering bigger segment car with comparable features and build quality for the same price as these lower variants.
Comrade is online now   (34) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 12:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

I believe Gagan has highlighted quite a few negatives in his quick review here. Honestly I expected more from Basalt and Citroen. Buyers will feel short charged on features for sure. Pricing is a puller and maybe it's best Usp right now.

Last edited by harry10 : 9th August 2024 at 12:17.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 12:52   #22
Senior - BHPian

Guys please be responsible and don't spam the thread with posts mentioning this feature is missing and that feature is missing which has become a trend in the forum. This is really demotivating for people who want to buy something new. What all features can you pack in a car for 7.99L? Citroen is really trying to do something in Indian market unlike some brands which are living in past glory.
poloman is offline   (111) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 12:54   #23
BHPian

Looks like there is website is under maintenance and prices are getting updated on the website.
I checked yesterday on their website, existing lineup was also not refreshed. C3 and C3 Aircross also need to be updated on the website. I hope they reveal the updated prices of these two cars as well.
I was expecting them to launch the C3 as well in automatic but looks like its never gonna happen now.
Highh5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 12:56   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Not a big fan of an SUV designs in general, which is probably why this Coupe design kind of attracts me. I liked this car. Looks good and well proportioned. Good set of features and practicality. Although shocked that it misses cruise control. With new highways and expressways coming, most highways covered with cameras, sectional speed monitoring becoming common, having cruise is essential to keep yourself at a consistent speed. One feature I sorely miss in my car.

On top of it all, the driving behavior and ride and handling seems to be very good. Which is critical criteria for me.

Nice intro price too and smart marketing move. Definitely planning a test drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Isn't it quite atrocious that an SUV coupe is launched in 2024 without cruise control by a French automaker in India? Even if I were to forget other nice to have features (long list of missing features mentioned in the review). I mean, not a single stand out feature in this car apart from the so-called coupe design.

Agree with the cruise control point, but I would never personally go near a Dzire or an Amaze as an alternative to this.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 9th August 2024 at 13:05.
Rajeevraj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 12:58   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi View Post
3D visualization is showing 13.57 lacs as starting price for top variant. Not sure if this is a mistake or a ballpark number

Attachment 2639295
Looks like now they have updated it. It shows now as 7.99 Lakhs as starting price.
Citroen Basalt Review-screenshot-20240809-125506min.png
ramprakashram is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 13:06   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6fanboy View Post
As a C3 owner for 2 years and having driven 25000 kms, I can vouch for the reliability of the car. The car might not feel premium but is built to last. Also the ride is something that wows me every time I drive the car. They have tuned the gear ratios of the 1.2 NA so well, I never get tired driving it in the city. Except for stop go traffic, it is effortless to drive in the city. It has good low end torque as well. FE is around 14.5 combined

The car is packaged well. It has all the features I miss in our 2 year old C3. The C3 has been holding up really well. Completed 25000 kms so far. No major complaints for the segment of car. The ride quality just amazes us every time we take it out. The 1.2NA has good low end torque. City driving is effortless with a light clutch and no need for frequent gear changes. FE at 14.5 combined is not bad for our usage. I would recommend anyone going for the 1.2NA variants at the lower trims as the car looks awesome and good Value for money.

Thanks.
Real world reviews like these will help buyers make an informed decision. It's not always about features and gimmicks you rarely use. Saw the same feedback from some YouTubers as well but there I take it with a pinch of salt as we don't know how authentic they are.
lionell is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 13:10   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Guys please be responsible and don't spam the thread with posts mentioning this feature is missing and that feature is missing which has become a trend in the forum.
So true. Why are we not comparing with what competition offers for the same price? Or what is competition charging additional for the top spec features? We have stopped being analytical. Acting like a snobbish group of people only ranting about Top spec features without any price parity!

Also, I wish someone with any insider info show how it might not be possible for a minnow like Stellantis India to have same negotiating power like Maruti-Toyota or Hyundai-Kia or Tata or Mahindra with its Indian suppliers! Citroen may not be able to give these premium features at same pricing without supplier offering some volume-discounting. So maybe they are trying to build those domestic+export volumes. Lets give them a chance!

Last edited by Comrade : 9th August 2024 at 13:27.
Comrade is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 13:12   #28
Senior - BHPian

I'd definitely pick this if I were in the market for a car in this segment/ price band. The ride and handling alone is worth more than the base sticker price, and I hope Citroen gets a success in this launch, now that they also have MSD onboard.

If I were in the product planning team, I'd have definitely demanded a variant with Sunroof/ Panaromic Sunroof - forget lack of cruise control, auto wipers/ headlamps/ IRVM - a big sunroof sells in India, that's ground reality. Heck, when a rugged, utilitarian, off-road SUV like Thar is going upscale with sunroof (5 Dr), it underlines how much of a crowd puller it is!

Last edited by ph03n!x : 9th August 2024 at 13:13.
ph03n!x is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 13:13   #29
BHPian

Wow! with this kind of pricing Citroen has hit the ball out of park. At 7.99L it comes in budget range for many first time car buyers too! Has ticked all the fundamentals -
  • Good Cabin and Boot Space
  • Adequately powerful engine (1.2 turbo)
  • AT transmission
  • Decently equipped with features
  • Excellent ride and handling
  • VFM pricing!
For those complaining about cruise control, it's hardly usable in Indian cities. Except for few expressways, on normal state highways even if we forget about stray animals, wrong side vehicles, frequent villages, one can hardly use it, that too for very limited stretches as lane discipline and speed of vehicles is not consistent on Indian highways. In that sense Adaptive Cruise Control is better but at this pricing it's not expected. I am only concerned about the engine noise and gruffness, hopefully this is not a deal breaker -- looking forward to a test drive.

It's essential for Basalt to succeed for Citroen to stay longer in our Market.
sapien is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 13:22   #30
BHPian

I can live without cruise control, but I wish it had an auto-dimming IRVM.
sid3091 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks