Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2024, 08:42   #256
BHPian

Re: Citroen Basalt Review

(Thank you for reading out a newbie's attempt to be a thread owner here. )

1 Wonderful and insightful review.
2 Fresh & practical perspective on sun roof.
3 Is yours the AT version?
4 What's the mileage?

Last edited by INDIAFIRST : 20th October 2024 at 08:43. Reason: Typo
INDIAFIRST is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2024, 18:37   #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDIAFIRST View Post
(Thank you for reading out a newbie's attempt to be a thread owner here. )

1 Wonderful and insightful review.
2 Fresh & practical perspective on sun roof.
3 Is yours the AT version?
4 What's the mileage?
1. Thank you 😊
2. Simply couldn't think of anything else
3. Yes
4. Currently odo shows 11km/l for 300 odd kms of total running
samdm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2024, 09:06   #258

Hi folks,

Not able to understand why Basalt/Curvv qualifies as Coupe and not Tata Tigor?
I believe its a similar shape. Or is something else also required to be a Coupe?
Attached Thumbnails
Citroen Basalt Review-capture2.jpg  

Old 22nd October 2024, 09:18   #259
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenEXit View Post
Hi folks,

Not able to understand why Basalt/Curvv qualifies as Coupe and not Tata Tigor?
I believe its a similar shape. Or is something else also required to be a Coupe?
Tigor is sub4m and more like a notchback compact sedan. The Curvv and Basalt have a more sloping roofline and length more than 4m hence the term coupe.

Ther is no qualification for a coupe. Typically, a true coupe would be 2 doors and sloping roof but now with brands coming out with 4 door coupes and changing the names to Grand coupe etc, the Basalt and Curvv as also using the marketing term coupe. Plus the raised stance means they cant call it a SUV sedan as both terms and contradictory. Hence the new term Crossover coupe.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2024, 19:56   #260
BHPian

The newly Launched European C4. All of Citroens line up there looks ravishing.

The C4 looks similar to the basalt, however, is bigger and different car

Two different platforms EMP1 (Efficient Modular Platform 1) Vs Basalt - CMP (Common Modular Platform)

BSASLR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2024, 18:53   #261
BHPian

As per team BHP Basalt dealer shipping count is 340 odd in Sept & 540 odd in Aug.

I sincerely hope this is an aberration and Basalt picks up.

To be fair Citroën has done a decent job of features vs pricing.

Lack of cruise control and sun roof shouldn't be the reason for low off take.

Fellow members, what's your take on Basalts future.
Old 23rd October 2024, 19:03   #262
BHPian

[QUOTE
-There is no Sunroof on offer and that is the biggest positive for this car.
All Car manufacturers should offer a TOP end of Mid Automatic Variant without Sunroof.]

Unfortunately our fellow Indians don't feel the same. A useless feature like sun roof is becoming a deal-maker.

I won't waste time and energy on ranting why our climate is unsuitable for sun roofs. Only hope maintenance of the sunroof doesnt become a white elephant!

I also loved the ride comfort and cabin space. However the transmission and engine both lack refinements. Example my test drive vehicle had notchy gear slots. The ergonomics were nowhere s good as my Honda Amaze.

Overall a value for money car.

Last edited by INDIAFIRST : 23rd October 2024 at 19:06. Reason: Punctuation
INDIAFIRST is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2024, 19:40   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDIAFIRST View Post
As per team BHP Basalt dealer shipping count is 340 odd in Sept & 540 odd in Aug.

I sincerely hope this is an aberration and Basalt picks up.

To be fair Citroën has done a decent job of features vs pricing.

Lack of cruise control and sun roof shouldn't be the reason for low off take.

Fellow members, what's your take on Basalts future.
For Citroen, Basalt is a very important product as they are yet to gain any traction in Indian market. I feel it's a good package overall. The car looks great, feels good inside and is an attention grabber with its coupe stance. The 1.2 Ltr Turbo engine is said to be a hoot to drive and the turbo automatic should be a pretty comfortable car to be in.

Recently it received 4 stars in safety rating and that's given Basalt, a bit more extra in its favour.

I also believe that Stellantis, the parent company of Citroen and Jeep is here to stay and they wouldn't do a Ford or Chevy, anytime in near future.

The concerns mainly revolve around the service network and spares availability. Buying a car is a one time affair. Service and spares are recurring affairs and that's where my focus has been..

I have a 11 year old KTM Duke 390 (purchased brand new in 2013) and today I don't have an authorised service centre for KTM in Goa. Earlier there were 2 authorised service centre in Goa (Madgao and Porvorim) and now both have closed and I recently rode to Mangalore 365 Kms away to get some work done. Ofcourse I could have got the work done at the FNG. However the question is if I wanted to get my vehicle serviced at the A.S.S. then I wouldn't be able to do that.

The concern is similar with Citroen. Spares and service network is almost non existent and that's the spanner in the wheel for me.
ashkamath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2024, 15:54   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samdm View Post
Hello all

Thank you for reading out a newbie's attempt to be a thread owner here.
Thank you so much for penning down your perspective on a brand new product. You love the ride quality of the car. How you compare the ride quality to Seltos.

At higher speed, how is the NVH?
Is rear visibility a serious issue?

For me, lack of cruise control is a deal breaker. I just hope that Basalt will come with a CC sooner than later.

Thanks
Old 24th October 2024, 18:48   #265
BHPian

Since you asked about Citroen's NVH Vs that of Seltos here is data from Motoroctane test at Idle and Highway speeds.

It's an interesting read how different makers fare as speeds vary.

We can compare with any of these vehicles we have driven and get an approximation of other vehicles
Attached Thumbnails
Citroen Basalt Review-nvh.jpg  

Old 25th October 2024, 22:28   #266
BHPian

Checked out the Citroen BASALT in the nearest showroom to my home in Hyderabad.

The support staff was very helpful. They were very welcoming and gave me all the space to take videos and photos for my vlog and blog.

The Demo car was the Mid variant "Plus" and the TD car was the top AT variant "Max". Both were the same colour "Garnet Red", but the TD car was dual colour with a black roof, which looked better.

I was unable to take a test drive, due to time crunch(had to pickup my kid from school) but I have driven the C3 and C3 Aircross a few months back, so the feel should be similar, I assume.

Have done a detailed walkaround of both variants. Please check out the video and the photos below

Some highlights on the "Plus" variant. PLUS MT TURBO

The front looks a little bland, as compared to the top variant, due to lesser chrome bits, but do get the Projector BI-LED setup

Citroen Basalt Review-img_20241025_114810955.jpg

Headlights and DRLs are LED but the Indicators are halogen bulb.
(Non-turbo varaiant, doesn't get LEDs)

Citroen Basalt Review-img_20241025_114818564.jpg

Tail lights are also halogen, but look like LEDs.

Citroen Basalt Review-img_20241025_114837339.jpg

Doors open wide

Citroen Basalt Review-img_20241025_115419191.jpg

This Variant gets fabric handrest and seats, which are soft.

Citroen Basalt Review-img_20241025_115429189.jpg

Rear Seat Centre Armrest - With Cup Holder available in mid and top variants only.

Citroen Basalt Review-img_20241025_115437791.jpg

Rear AC vents only in Turbo variants

Citroen Basalt Review-img_20241025_115448264.jpg

Auto fold only in Turbo variants

Citroen Basalt Review-img_20241025_115525935_hdr.jpg

The wheel covers on all Citroen cars are really good design.

Citroen Basalt Review-img_20241025_115555421.jpg

Headlights looks plush

Citroen Basalt Review-img_20241025_115622905_hdr.jpg

The bumper bulge can save the headlights from minor hits in city traffic.

Citroen Basalt Review-img_20241025_115642981_hdr.jpg

Interiors are good but sadly are similar on all Citroen cars

Citroen Basalt Review-img_20241025_115712537_hdr.jpg

no footrest

Citroen Basalt Review-img_20241025_115730784.jpg

Driver gets seat height adjust

Citroen Basalt Review-img_20241025_115743469.jpg

Engine bay looks uncluttered

Citroen Basalt Review-img_20241025_115842607.jpg

sound damping material

Citroen Basalt Review-img_20241025_115846900.jpg

Now coming to the TD car. It was the top variant, Basalt AT Dual tone TURBO. The car was a little dirty, as it was a little dusty outside. The automatic transmission is a torque converter and not an AMT, so that is surely a good addition. No paddle shifts, but manual upshift and downshift option is available.

Citroen Basalt Review-img_20241025_120005810.jpg

More chrome on the top variant

Citroen Basalt Review-img_20241025_120014838.jpg

Diamond cut alloys are sweet

Citroen Basalt Review-img_20241025_120032839.jpg

Only the roof part is black, the pillar are not.

Citroen Basalt Review-img_20241025_120045961.jpg

Interiors are looking better in top variant

Citroen Basalt Review-img_20241025_120119755.jpg

the gear knob is bland, but do get piano black surrounds

Citroen Basalt Review-img_20241025_120131042.jpg

automatic AC only on Turbo variants

Citroen Basalt Review-img_20241025_120141523.jpg

Rear seats are comfortable on all variants

Citroen Basalt Review-img_20241025_120318547_hdr.jpg

rear visibility is poor

Citroen Basalt Review-img_20241025_120329634.jpg

Door pockets are decent

Citroen Basalt Review-img_20241025_120341539.jpg

Anyone planning to buy the CURVV should surely checkout the Basalt. It does look value for money and also the comfort oriented cars from Citroen suit the bad roads in India.

Here are the prices as per Hyderabad

Citroen Basalt Review-screenshot-20241025-222304.jpg
JoseTheScorpion is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2024, 11:22   #267

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSASLR View Post
Since you asked about Citroen's NVH Vs that of Seltos here is data from Motoroctane test at Idle and Highway speeds.

It's an interesting read how different makers fare as speeds vary.

We can compare with any of these vehicles we have driven and get an approximation of other vehicles

Hi Team-BHP Family!!

This is my first post on this community. Have been following the forum for years now though.

This may not pertain to Basalt in particular, so if the Mod feels the query is inappropriate please delete / or the needful.

I am on a lookout to change my Dad's 10 year old Ecosport Diesel with a new CSUV and Honda Elevate seems to be a strong contender so far. There is a major complaint regarding cabin noise in Elevate, whereas, from this data, Elevate seems to be at par or better in avg as compared to segment benchmarks like Creta / Seltos etc. What is it that I am missing here? I did TD Elevate within city conditions, didnt get a chance to take it out on the highway. I didnt notice any cabin noise issues within city limits. Maybe I was more focused at the time on the driving part & ergonomics to pay more attention to outside noise. Will have to TD again.

I am yet to check and TD Basalt. Seems like a solid package. Dealership network is the main concern for me when considering Citroen as of now.
Old 26th October 2024, 11:57   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krysis View Post
I am yet to check and TD Basalt. Seems like a solid package. Dealership network is the main concern for me when considering Citroen as of now.
I’ve driven the previous generation City petrol, and found it to be noisy, so I don’t have high expectations for the Elevate's road and wind noise. However, the engine is smooth.

For reference, there’s a video of this test on YouTube. We will not be able to duplicate it, however we can do our own test with this as a reference. Try driving the car in an underpass, near the wall or in a tunnel

The takeaway is that at different speeds, cars rank differently. Since it's your money on the line, it’s best to test it yourself at various speeds before deciding.it is important because noise is not linear instead, they follow a logarithmic scale. So below 60 Creta may be better, may not be good above 60
Energy Difference: A jump from 60 dB to 70 dB is actually a 10x increase in sound energy.
Perceived Loudness: To the human ear, however, this change doesn’t sound 10 times louder. Generally, an increase of 10 dB feels roughly twice as loud to us
Imagine the Chennai Express scene when SRK carries Deepika 300 steps up the mountain to a temple

Just like how each step up the mountain in Chennai Express would feel increasingly more difficult due to the cumulative strain, sound intensity (measured in decibels) grows exponentially, not linearly. So as SRK’s effort intensifies with each step, a 10 dB increase in noise represents a much bigger leap in sound energy than it might seem at first.

And just like each added step might feel harder, the sound level feels significantly louder with each 10 dB increase, even though it’s the energy that’s actually increased tenfold.
Attached Thumbnails
Citroen Basalt Review-noise.jpg  

Last edited by BSASLR : 26th October 2024 at 12:10.
BSASLR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2024, 12:07   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krysis View Post
Hi Team-BHP Family!!

This is my first post on this community. Have been following the forum for years now though.

This may not pertain to Basalt in particular, so if the Mod feels the query is inappropriate please delete / or the needful.

I am on a lookout to change my Dad's 10 year old Ecosport Diesel with a new CSUV and Honda Elevate seems to be a strong contender so far. There is a major complaint regarding cabin noise in Elevate, whereas, from this data, Elevate seems to be at par or better in avg as compared to segment benchmarks like Creta / Seltos etc. What is it that I am missing here? I did TD Elevate within city conditions, didnt get a chance to take it out on the highway. I didnt notice any cabin noise issues within city limits. Maybe I was more focused at the time on the driving part & ergonomics to pay more attention to outside noise. Will have to TD again.

My cousin has an Elevate, and I have never felt the cabin noise to be an issue. In my opinion, it is extremely silent and vibration-free when idle. Even on the move, it's quite smooth and quite silent. If you look at the decibel levels, it is similar to the competition, too, so that definitely won't be an issue.

As regards the Basalt, it's a solid package for the price with a spacious and practical interior and a large 470-litre boot, it offers superior ride comfort and has good road presence too, the 1.2-litre Turbo Petrol is a gem of an engine and the 6-sped TC AT is an excellent gearbox to accompany it, even a manual is a good option, the only things lacking are perhaps a sunroof, which isn't a necessity in my opinion, apart from the inconsistent quality of materials in the cabin (to keep costs down) and poor rearward visibility due to the sloping roof (a disadvantage of the coupe SUV design).

If you would describe your requirements further, We could help you close in on a model and trim, do let us know and hope it helps!
yedukrishnan199 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2024, 12:53   #270

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSASLR View Post
I’ve driven the previous generation City petrol, and found it to be noisy, so I don’t have high expectations for the Elevate's road and wind noise. However, the engine is smooth.

For reference, there’s a video of this test on YouTube. We will not be able to duplicate it, however we can do our own test with this as a reference. Try driving the car in an underpass, near the wall or in a tunnel

The takeaway is that at different speeds, cars rank differently. Since it's your money on the line, it’s best to test it yourself at various speeds before deciding.it is important because noise is not linear instead, they follow a logarithmic scale. So below 60 Creta may be better, may not be good above 60
Energy Difference: A jump from 60 dB to 70 dB is actually a 10x increase in sound energy.
Perceived Loudness: To the human ear, however, this change doesn’t sound 10 times louder. Generally, an increase of 10 dB feels roughly twice as loud to us
Imagine the Chennai Express scene when SRK carries Deepika 300 steps up the mountain to a temple

Just like how each step up the mountain in Chennai Express would feel increasingly more difficult due to the cumulative strain, sound intensity (measured in decibels) grows exponentially, not linearly. So as SRK’s effort intensifies with each step, a 10 dB increase in noise represents a much bigger leap in sound energy than it might seem at first.

And just like each added step might feel harder, the sound level feels significantly louder with each 10 dB increase, even though it’s the energy that’s actually increased tenfold.

Hi!

Thanks for the reply. Thats a nice way to explain things.

Will definitely try lengthier and different routes on TD of all the cars before finalising.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks