Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2024, 13:26   #136
BHPian

Re: Citroen Basalt Review

After reading the comments here, I feel that for me personally, I would be missing on a few features which I have on my 6 year old car (Ford Freestyle T+ P) which I bought at 8.35 lacs.

- Auto dimming mirror
- Auto Wipers (people have different experiences, but I have found it useful)
- Auto Headlamps

One feature that I added later with company parts is Cruise control, which is also missed here. I am loving that feature on the highways and on my city drives coming back from work late in the night with lesser traffic. It works like a charm on the Outer Ring Road in Hyderabad as well.

I feel they could've given it the 17" wheel treatment as well, but not complaining.

I am in no hurry to replace my Greyhound and would wait for the next facelift which probably brings these features to the Basalt.

Last edited by bhaskar.guru : 14th August 2024 at 13:27.
bhaskar.guru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 17:04   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

The Unthinkable- Citroen Basalt

volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 17:07   #138
BHPian

I am actually low on the curve when it comes to using the features in a car. My Fiesta has both ACC and Cruise Control, which I am not quite comfortable using. I prefer to not leave the decision to machine about throw of air over me. And even when cruising, I feel out of control if both my legs are free of action.

Its just to make clear where I am coming from. But then its just me perhaps.

Coming to Basalt, Citroen is a budget brand and whatever it tries, cant beat some others in the game of bells & whistles. Also the perception about brand runs ahead of the features it presents. Just to make the point, if a manufacturer has reputation of iffy build quality (not meant for Citroen), I will tend to view its sunroof with suspicion.

From this perspective, Basalt seem fairly equipped in features. If it doesn't do well, the question should be asked about Citroen's ability to convey its positives to the market rather than its disability to mask its negatives.

Wish Citroen the best. Market will be somewhat boring without such players.

Last edited by rsm97 : 14th August 2024 at 17:15.
rsm97 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 18:54   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsm97 View Post
I am actually low on the curve when it comes to using the features in a car. My Fiesta has both ACC and Cruise Control, which I am not quite comfortable using. I prefer to not leave the decision to machine about throw of air over me. And even when cruising, I feel out of control if both my legs are free of action.
Once one goes on a long road trip, the usefulness of the cruise control becomes very apparent. Even if one cannot use it for long time durations due to road conditions and traffic, even a 2-3 minute span lets one take the right foot off the gas, adjust the body and leg positions, adjust seat recline, height and steering position to shift pressure to other parts of the body, all of which makes one much more comfortable as you resume normal driving.
84.monsoon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 20:16   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Once one goes on a long road trip, the usefulness of the cruise control becomes very apparent.
Agree! As India (unfortunately) moves to the Western time interval speed camera systems, any speeding driver will be fined and even prosecuted.

Far better to set your CC speed at -2 of the limit and relax your right foot.
itwasntme is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 20:54   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Once one goes on a long road trip, the usefulness of the cruise control becomes very apparent. Even if one cannot use it for long time durations due to road conditions and traffic, even a 2-3 minute span lets one take the right foot off the gas, adjust the body and leg positions, adjust seat recline, height and steering position to shift pressure to other parts of the body, all of which makes one much more comfortable as you resume normal driving.
No doubt it suits many. For me, stays in the mind that critical function of speed modulation is unattended. Hopefully adaptive version will solve this.

Actually, and with due respect, to me cruise control in its basic form always seemed low utility function. Will be glad to see one day the function of accelerator itself shifted to the steering. A knob on steering with control through thumb, as some Skoda cars provide, will be a great feature.

Lets take the topic back to Basalt. The introductory price for NA engine has done its job to attract market attention. Looking forward to a real competitive price for turbo. That will decide the sale.
Attached Thumbnails
Citroen Basalt Review-skoda.jpg  

rsm97 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2024, 10:13   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
After reading many comments here I am curious to know how can the lack of cruise-control feature be a deal-breaker for buyers.

I have cruise-control in my Carens, but I hardly get to use it. Even on express-way it is difficult to maintain speeds for long. I believe there is a separate thread on use of cruise-control in India.

For me, it cannot be a deal breaker for a car at the price that Basalt is offered at.
I agree. Have been using my Tucson for 7 years, and never been able to use cruise control. You need to switch it off every 5 mins which defeats the purpose. And on Indian highways, need to be on constant vigilance.

Maybe cruise control can be used on some of the new expressways which have been built in the North. All my driving is in southern India.
argho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2024, 11:19   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Agree! As India (unfortunately) moves to the Western time interval speed camera systems, any speeding driver will be fined and even prosecuted.

Far better to set your CC speed at -2 of the limit and relax your right foot.
My reply isn't in context to your post about the speed cameras and how cruise control can help in managing the situation better. There's a slight disconnect here. My reply is about the perception I hold with regard to many features in the new age cars. So, please bear with me.

Cruise control is a very convenient feature in a car while it's usage is mainly on highways with relevantly less traffic / obstructions.

When ever I look into the features of a car, I look it's real world usage applicable to me. Now, let's say, most of my driving is in city and I might go on a long drive, a vacation once in 6 months and that could involve some highway driving. I will think if I am driving on good 6 lane highways twice a year and the remaining days it will be a bumper to bumper traffic/ or city drive, then I personally wouldn't think a cruise control feature as a deal breaker to me.

Same is the case of driver seat height adjustment. Once you adjust your seat height it remains that way for the rest of time (unless a different person drives the car and he has a different preference of driver's seat height). I never allow anyone to drive my vehicles and so it's always me. So, I think if my car doesn't have a driver's height adjustment, I could custom design a cushion for driver's seat to suit my height preference and done with it.

There are features that you use more often such as rear windshield defogger, wash & wiper. This is essential feature mainly during monsoon season and also when the rear windshield becomes dusty during regular commutes (and you forgot to clean the rear windshield) and one may use this feature very often. So, this is an essential feature that I would like to have in my car.

Fog lamps. Now I don't remember when was the last time I used the fog lamps in my car for its true and intended purpose I e. While driving in a fog. Its said that yellow colour lamp is preferable for fog lamp while what we get in the market is white lamp which is pretty much useless in foggy weather. However the alternate argument is that fog lamps are used to better illuminate the road in night when head light is used in low beam in city and fog light helps in locating potholes etc earlier and better. Then a fog lamp is an additional night light and less of a fog lamp anyways.

I prefer silence while driving and am not a music buff. The only time I listen to music is during weekend get-together with friends over a drink or two and old Hindi songs at low volume in back ground lends some nostalgic and emotional flavour to our conversations. Other than that, I am a total silence in the car guy. I like to listen to the engine melody more than other music. So, I can do without a great music system with woofer, bass and Twitter and stuff.

The only way I would use Android auto /Apple car play is for navigation which I can manage with my mobile too fixed on a mobile holder. I don't take a call while driving/ riding ( never have), so the phone calls features/controls on steering wheel or the Android Auto is not important to me.

I never liked sunroof. It's a personal choice. I know sunroof is the new craze along with cruise control and they are deal breaker for many. To me having a sunroof is a deal breaker. So, when I visited Mahindra showroom to check out the 3XO, I felt letdown to see all the mid to top variants have sunroof and they were immediately struck off my list. And only the base variant remained which I booked.

I want a car that's well built, a solid engine, great driving dynamics such as stability, excellent ride quality, good safety rating, reasonably good service network and ease of spares availablity.

What I am not looking at is Resale value (I will cross the bridge when I come to it), I also do not want to compromise on safety, poor service network and non availability of spares, poor service response is a letdown to me. Gizmos, the bells and whistles (on the cosmetic side) mean much less to me while safety features (airbags, ABS, etc) are high on my list. Good fuel efficiency is nice to have in the car, but unless the car gives single digit fuel efficiency, I am fine with it too.

I have a clear picture of what I want in my car and what I can live without.. And in that list, not having a Sunroof and/or Cruise control are not deal breakers to me. I would be happy to own a car without both these features for the simple reason that I may rarely use these features in my real world driving scenarios

Last edited by ashkamath : 15th August 2024 at 11:34.
ashkamath is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th August 2024, 11:33   #144
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post

In my opinion, Citroen seems to be missing an opportunity by delaying the announcement of the Basalt's prices, potentially losing market traction amid the buzz it has generated. Soon the Curvv and Roxx test drives/launches will follow and peoples attention gets diverted. Get the confirmation when customers are walking into Citroen showrooms today, rather than have them walk away saying we'll come back once you confirm prices.
While the launch and introductory price were promising, a week has passed, and newer model launches are overshadowing Citroen. The brand risks fading into the background amidst the buzz surrounding recent releases, as potential customers flock to competing showrooms. It's perplexing, this is their one hit or miss opportunity!
shortbread is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2024, 17:42   #145
BHPian

Quote:
After reading many comments here I am curious to know how can the lack of cruise-control feature be a deal-breaker for buyers.

I have cruise-control in my Carens, but I hardly get to use it. Even on express-way it is difficult to maintain speeds for long. I believe there is a separate thread on use of cruise-control in India.

For me, it cannot be a deal breaker for a car at the price that Basalt is offered at.
I have never driven a Cruise control, but since the days i have started driving Manual Gearbox cars on Expressways i realize how useful that feature could be.

Having a diesel mini car which jumps up by even touching the accelerator (wow that K9K), I always tend to go over 140 anytime i go on expressway and finally my Fuel Efficiency drops big time on highways. There is no way one can drive in the fuel efficient speed zone without a cruise control.

I reckon, Having a Cruise control can not only save one the physical exertion but also saves money in form of Fuel Efficiency savings.
anu21v is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2024, 22:09   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Citroën Basalt appears for the first time at a technology event in Brazil:

Quote:
The Citroën Basalt makes its debut at the stand that Stellantis set up at Rio Innovation Week, an event focused on innovation and technology, held in the old warehouses of the port of Rio de Janeiro. At the exhibition, which takes place between August 13 and 16, Basalt is being presented for the first time to the public (before, it was shown, under heavy camouflage, in a ceremony at the Porto Real factory, for the governor of the State of Rio).
Quote:
For now, the Basalt is wrapped in light yellow and white black camouflage (classic Renault colors?), which even covers the alloy wheels. The tinted windows and locked doors do not allow you to see inside. A digital totem next to the car bears already known publicity images and does not include any technical information. But, as Citroën's fastback is being shown between a normal C3 and a C3 Aircross 7, it is already possible to make some "live" comparisons.

Citroen Basalt Review-citroenbasaltemeventonorj-2.jpg

Citroen Basalt Review-citroenbasaltemeventonorj-6.jpg

Citroen Basalt Review-citroenbasaltemeventonorj-5.jpg

Citroen Basalt Review-citroenbasaltemeventonorj-4.jpg

Citroen Basalt Review-citroenbasaltemeventonorj-3.jpg

Citroen Basalt Review-citroenbasaltemeventonorj.jpg

Link:
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th August 2024, 11:20   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilealways24 View Post
I keep hearing how the C3 Aircross and the Basalt handle during people's TD, but the only thing that keeps me from looking at them is the lack of cruise control. I am OK with not having a push button start at the highest trim, but I NEED cruise control.

So, my question is can we add aftermarket Cruise Control (do we even get such kits in India?) and what are the repercussions of doing that? Will it void the warranty? Will other systems start malfunctioning?
Cruise control is directly connected to the ECU and not recommended to added as an after market accessory.

You need the car to disengage the cruise control when press the brake. I wouldn't trust an after market accessory to do this.

Imagine what will happen if your press the brake and the after market cruise control still keeps supplying fuel and accelerating.

Many people go for it in lower trims when a steering plug in is available directly from a higher trim.

In the current case where the highest trim does not offer it, means it's risky to be the first tester.

Last edited by pandabear : 16th August 2024 at 11:22.
pandabear is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2024, 11:24   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandabear View Post
Cruise control is directly connected to the ECU and not recommended to added as an after market accessory.

You need the car to disengage the cruise control when press the brake. I wouldn't trust an after market accessory to do this.

Imagine what will happen if your press the brake and the after market cruise control still keeps supplying fuel and accelerating.

Many people go for it in lower trims when a steering plug in is available directly from a higher trim.

In the current case where the highest trim does not offer it, means it's risky to be the first tester.
Thank you for your response. Makes a lot of sense.
smilealways24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2024, 12:04   #149
BHPian

Citroen Basalt Prices Revealed

YOU: ₹7,99,000
PLUS: ₹9,99,000
PLUS TURBO: ₹11,49,000
MAX TURBO: ₹12,28,000
PLUS TURBO AT: ₹12,79,000
MAX TURBO AT: ₹13,62,000

A dual-tone option is available in the Max variants for an additional Rs 21,000.

Only base variant is aggressively priced, other variants are overpriced by atleast ₹25-30K.

Last edited by sharmanova : 17th August 2024 at 12:06.
sharmanova is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 17th August 2024, 15:07   #150
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

I agree that this feature shouldn't be a deal-breaker, but the real answer to this discussion about "how do I use cruise control without constantly switching it on and off" is to just set it at a lower speed. If you set CC to 100, or even more conservatively 95, at sections where you normally do 110 driving manually, you can cruise for extended periods of time. A 10-15km/hr deficit to your normal cruising speed provides a high chance that you can use it for prolonged periods of time on Indian highways (20 mins+ at a stretch), but it does make it a lot less stressful + you save fuel!
rkv_2401 is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks