Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2024, 10:04   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2024 Nissan X-Trail Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrthodocX View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but do CBU cars have problematic after sales service as compared to those manufactured in India, or is it only the cost which is the disadvantage over natively manufactured cars?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
The main issues that, service parts apart, other parts will have a long lead time, especially when it comes to accident repairs
Yes, this is the most irritating concern related to CBU's.

In addition to accident repairs, even warranty related replacements can lead to extra long delays. In both these cases, the vehicle will be held at the service centers once the incident is opened and will be released only after completion of work. This can lead to very long unpleasant delays.

This is not specific to Nissan, but is the case with most manufacturers.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 1st August 2024 at 16:05. Reason: Spacing for readability
sarathlal is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2024, 16:23   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

The X-Trail comes with a 1.5-litre three-cylinder, turbo-petrol engine that features variable compression, and makes 163 hp and 300Nm of peak torque. The bodyshell dimensions are good vis-a-vis the competition in its Rs 40-45 L bracket. But I am not sure whether Indian customers will pay Rs 40-45 L for a three cylinder, 1.5 L engine, though the power output is satisfactory. The BSA Bond bike came with a 50 cc engine. Launched around mid-1980's, it cost about Rs 7,500. The other 50 cc mopeds then cost Rs 4.5 K Rs 5 K. The BSA Bond failed to sell well and was history by end of the 1980's. Though a 40 year old story, the Indian market has not much changed.

This same X-Trail model has been sold since 2020 as the Nissan Rogue in the US, where it is powered by a 2.5 L, four cylinder, non turbocharged (135kW/245Nm) engine. A mid-life face-lift of this model for the U.S. is due as a 2025 model offering. Its spyshots have come up in the media. This older model was introduced in Europe and Australia by late 2022 and hence the newer face-lift now due in the U.S. would take a year or two to reach these markets. And here in India, we are getting the 2020 model now, when it's due for a face-lift in the U.S..
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2024, 23:36   #93
Senior - BHPian

Forget ADAS and rear belt reminders, what is most surprising is that the X-Trail doesn't have curtain airbags for the third row. Even an XUV700 of Safari facelift will get you those. Heck, so will a 9 year-old Crysta.
Old 27th July 2024, 02:52   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityslicker86 View Post
All those who are comparing the X-trail with Safari/700, keep in mind that Tata and Mahindra can even dream of making a variable compression engine technology, not even with their R&D from glorious acquisitions of JLR, Pininfarina, Ssangyong etc.

They are also many years behind in build quality and reliability. They will get there, but not anytime soon.

Everyone seems to be obsessed with flashy 'features' like ambient lighting, ventilated seats, touchscreen, leather seats etc. That's the cheap stuff. Variable Compression Engine is the premium stuff. Unfortunately we cant see it with our eyes.

Even ADAS is common place however many of us have actually found it impractical for India. My Verna has it and I'm tired of it slamming the brakes every now and then. ADAS doesn't work well in India. The blind spot monitoring is the only saving grace.

I however, do agree that this is a watered down variant and had Nissan been serious about its launch, it would at have launched the latest version with all these trinkets and would have assembled it here in India. I sense that Indian management at Nissan does not get the attention of their masters at HQ in Japan. This seems like a 'first sell this, then we will give you a full-spec model' message from them.

It does reflect on how we as a customer base think. Shiny and flashy is very important to us. We value it over real engineering that's under the hood. I feel for the salespersons in Nissan showroom who will have to sell variable compression technology over ambient lighting and 'seat mein AC hai'.
Yes Nissan has engineered a very high tech variable compression engine, the same one which is now under investigation by NHTSA for premature failure of the big end bearings and the actuating mechanism for changing the TDC position of the piston.

The X-trail comes with Nissans Jatco CVT, and the lesser I talk about it's reliability and image globally, the better.

Peak compression ratio is 14.1:1 under sedate driving, which will call for atleast RON95 fuel. This is still acceptable since most modern DI turbo petrols have moved to RON95 or higher, but this one isn't E20 compliant

I agree with you on the features personally. I don't mind the fabric seats or the lack of ADAS. However, you and me make up an extremely small percentage of the total car buyer population. The average 40-45L buyer will definitely expect leather seats with ventilation, powered seats and ADAS when cars costing 1/3rd of the expected price offer these.

Lastly, please don't play the Indian consumer card here. The variable compression ratio engine is a fine piece of technology, but it has been implemented on a 1.5L 3 pot engine. Overall power figures and performance are still not at all on par with something like the Tiguan/Kodiaq. So in a nutshell, I have to contend with an engine that is more complex, doesn't have E20 compatibility and still produces 20-30hp less than equivalent competition. If that isn't enough, I miss out on features as well. The only area where I might have marginal gains is fuel efficiency. If the X-trail fails (which seems very likely) it is only Nissan to blame.

Last edited by vishy76 : 27th July 2024 at 02:53.
vishy76 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2024, 05:43   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Yes Nissan has engineered a very high tech variable compression engine, the same one which is now under investigation by NHTSA for premature failure of the big end bearings and the actuating mechanism for changing the TDC position of the piston.

The X-trail comes with Nissans Jatco CVT, and the lesser I talk about it's reliability and image globally, the better.

Lastly, please don't play the Indian consumer card here...
First up, it's under investigation. So let's hold our horses. Nissan has been selling this tech since 2018. They have claimed to have identified issues and may issue a massive recall and fix it. Remember the last recall Tata issued?

India doesn't have an NHTSA and such investigations dont happen. I wonder what would happen to Tata, Mahindra if such investigations happened in India. Quality issues are a part of their identity that they are working hard to fix. I recall the terrible AMTs that not just these guys, but most Indian OEMs got away with.

I don't mean to take anything away from the two Indian OEMs. I'm merely saying that their two cars don't compare with X-Trail. And as such it's a wrong comparison.

Comparisons with Tiguan and Kodiaq are fair. Not with Safari and XUV, simply because they come with some gimmicks that the X Trail doesn't. I did mention that Nissan could have been more serious about the launch and provided these features in addition to the complex engine tech.

And I stand with my point on the Indian consumer base. Most of them will reject the vehicle simply because it lacks flashy features, not because of the risks associated with complex tech.

Last edited by cityslicker86 : 27th July 2024 at 05:45. Reason: Changed sentence phrasing
Old 27th July 2024, 15:46   #96
BHPian

This is one of the rarest threads/reviews in the forum where none of the comments are for Nissan. Not even a single positive comment - AS EXPECTED.

On the other hand it looks like most of media are well taken care by Nissan. None/most of the reviews doesn't talk about the negatives or even highlight it. In fact, every media go to the extent of boasting the Xtrail and Nissan's idea/plan.

Which is why TBHp is still the best unbiased and comprehensive auto community in India - Kudos to the founders and of course, every Bhipan.

This in itself is a testimony of how poor the Xtrail is and how bad Nissan considers India.
Old 27th July 2024, 16:11   #97
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Team-BHP offers its members a platform where they can express their true, unbiased opinions and it shows in the threads. I am someone who was quite excited about the Magnite launch and hoped that it would pave the way for better launches down the line, although the Magnite is a success, Nissan has done nothing to follow it up, up until now, i.e. almost 4 years after the Magnite launch, and the car they are launching is a CBU X-Trail which won't help them get numbers but may get them headlines for a few days and an alternative car to showcase in its showrooms.

Hopefully the other cars lined up bring in numbers for Nissan
bijims is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2024, 02:08   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityslicker86 View Post
All those who are comparing the X-trail with Safari/700, keep in mind that Tata and Mahindra can even dream of making a variable compression engine technology, not even with their R&D from glorious acquisitions of JLR, Pininfarina, Ssangyong etc.
Since others have already pointed out the needful, I need to point out one remaining fact.

Are you seriously praising Nissan (while slandering Xuv700/Safari) for it's engines when the Indian duo get absolutely fantastic engines?

Mahindra XUV700 2.0L petrol makes 197HP and 380NM without any fancy marketing gimmicks, is E20 compliant, doesn't require any high grade fuel and is an absolute stonker of an engine. In it's 2.0L diesel guise, 182HP and 450NM!

Tata Safari 2.0L engine makes 168BHP and 350NM, has same positive traits as Mahindra's engines and is known for it's traceable nature and drivability.

What exactly do Tata and Mahindra have to dream of here when it comes to engines for their SUV's?

Last edited by Doonite : 29th July 2024 at 02:13.
Doonite is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th July 2024, 03:46   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post

The only Pro: The 20-inch alloys look slick. May not be practical.
From the online video reviews of the India bound version, the interior looks premium with noticeable use of high quality materials.

Also the choice of fabric seats is well suited for our weather and the sliding second row seats adds to seating flexibility.

Since the X-Trail has a 4x4 legacy attached to it, its a bummer that only FWD is being offered.

And 20 inch alloys is a poor choice for our road conditions, either the alloy will crack or the low profile tyre will burst on the first deep pothole it will encounter at speed.

Also the trend of offering puny and low powered engines and pricing it at 30/40 big ones and above in our market is worrysome.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 29th July 2024 at 03:51.
Old 29th July 2024, 06:50   #100
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doonite View Post
Since others have already pointed out the needful, I need to point out one remaining fact.

Are you seriously praising Nissan (while slandering Xuv700/Safari) for it's engines when the Indian duo get absolutely fantastic engines?

Tata Safari 2.0L engine makes 168BHP and 350NM, has same positive traits as Mahindra's engines and is known for it's traceable nature and drivability.
The Indians have done commendable work in getting great engines (both petrol and diesel) into their cars, Although Tata has gone the easier route by sourcing its Harrier/Safari Diesel engine from FIAT, it doesn't take away from the fact that these are great engines and the Indians offer a better value proposition as compared to the competition.
bijims is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 10:02   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Nissan X-Trail TVC:

Old 1st August 2024, 14:47   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

2024 Nissan X-Trail launched in India, priced at Rs 49.92 Lakh

Quote:
Nissan is offering the new X-Trail in a single fully loaded variant.

It features split-LED headlights, 20-inch alloy wheels, and wraparound LED tail lights.

The X-Trail’s cabin sports an all-black theme and fabric upholstery.

Comes with an 8-inch touchscreen, a panoramic sunroof, and 7 airbags.

It gets a 163 PS 1.5-litre turbo-petrol engine with 12V mild-hybrid tech mated to a CVT gearbox.

Link:

Last edited by volkman10 : 1st August 2024 at 14:52.
volkman10 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 15:03   #103
BHPian

After seeing the price
"Disappointed but that's the only expectation from Nissan India."
DivyanshuDiv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 15:12   #104
BHPian

This is a Jaw Dropping moment guys. Absolutely wishful pricing by a company who was holding on to the Indian market with 1 decent product for over 2 years now. If these are the signs of things to come, then very soon the curtains will fall on this brand.

All the best Nissan, hope you prove me wrong.
DieselAnna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 15:13   #105
BHPian

About 10 Lakhs over Kodiaq, Tiguan and on par with the top-end Fortuner. And over 15 Lakhs over Tuscon. And with no redeeming qualities. Damn this is like the person who scored -180 in NEET. It seems like Nissan made a list of features that Indians wanted and purposefully ignored each and every single item in it.
blogslogger is online now   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks