Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2024, 17:11   #31
BHPian

Re: 2024 Nissan X-Trail Review

This is likely to be most overpriced car launch in recent times. I mean who launches a Petrol only car in D2 segment with only one top variant and no ventilated seats ! Only way to make this successful would be launch it at a lucrative price. But, Nissan must be in a fix, they can't launch it at XUV700 / Harrier / Tucson prices as it may not be profitable, also cannot match them in terms of features. Only option is to launch it in Fortuner segment where there could be some buyers looking for chauffer driver experience like hotel chains etc.

Nissan needs to understand that they are not Toyota who can overprice their cars and still sell like hotcakes. Toyotas sell because of the long term good will which they have built over the years by selling cars like Corolla, Qualis, Innova and Fortuner. Even they had to tie up with Suzuki for small car segment.

Probably they are just launching it as a Halo product to show their presence and interest in the Indian market. As a wild idea, maybe they'll launch it competing Creta that would definitely make masses look up and acknowledge Nissan as a brand.
sapien is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 17:27   #32
BHPian

Highly disappointing launch. X-Trail name atleast should've AWD with space wheel. I don't understand why manufacturer gives such massive wheel with low profile tyres on a SUV which is anyway not meant for corner carving. Forget Kodiak or Tiguan, how can this compete with 200bhp/380nm Petrol or 180bhp/450NM with AWD diesel Xuv700?
Kashi053 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 17:30   #33
BHPian

And Nissan India will wonder why this did not sell! Who in their right mind would even consider this when XUV700 is available for half the price! :shrug:
Comrade is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 18:21   #34

I don’t know what this car has going for it.

It is going to be overpriced because of the CBU route, it looks quite old especially at the front, the seats look cheap with that colour combination, I don’t think this car can compete even with the cars from Creta segment in terms of features and value proposition.

It is a bloodbath out there in the Compact SUV segment, and this car does not outdo them on any aspect except its size it seems.

The only selling point about this car will be that it meets international quality standards, and that it will be rare on the road which may be appealing to some car buyers. (But then again how many Citroen C5 Aircross do you see rolling around in India.)

(Also, I know this is a minor detail in the grand scheme of things, but what is up with that key fob visible in one of the photos! It looks so cheap and doesn’t belong to a car this expensive.)
TG208011 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 18:23   #35
BHPian

Except the size, this car belongs to 20 lakhs segment. They should have launched Kicks or some new product equivalent to Kicks.
swoosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 18:24   #36
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if this is the same Variable Compression Turbo engine that has reported multiple failures, to the point NHTSA is scrutinizing it in the U.S.

Someone from reddit posted and I tend to agree. It is a variable reliability engine

Too many missing features for a CBU, if it were to be CBU from Nissan, why not bring something that is a bit low tech but high on reliability. Like the Pathfinder RHD from Australia ? A 3.5l V6 without CVT would have been a good alternative to some German cars costing above 1 crore INR.
NiInJa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 19:02   #37
BHPian

Clearly an old product, the earlier X-trail sold in India at least had AWD and a boxy SUVish styling - Somewhat handsome in way compared to its competitors at that time - Chevy Captiva, Renault Koleos, Hyundai Terracan / Santa Fe. But this is a very disappointing launch from Nissan.
baskar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 20:09   #38
BHPian

I have never seen a car outrightly rejected by the entire Team BHP community. Even the Citroën had a few positive opinions due to its aggressive pricing.

The biggest irony is that this model is being launched for brand building.
abhkop is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 20:18   #39
BHPian

The only reason for this release seems to be "inventory management" for the prefacelift 4th generation vehicle. Definitely DOA and will lead to a brand dilution in India.
car_aficianado is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 21:24   #40
BHPian

3 Cylinders for a 7 seater SUV

No complete LED setup

Mild Hybrid

No ADAS

CVT Gearbox

Yellow bulbs for interior lighting

No Traction Control

No electronic tail gate

No 4x4

Not a spacious 7 Seater, last row is just a gimmick

No power adjustable seats

No Wireless Android Auto and Apple Car Play

No ventilated seats

Odd Infotainment system

No leatherette/ leather seats

CBU route (That too Mid variant)

Priced at 40 to 45 lakhs, well done Nissan

Last edited by lemedico : 23rd July 2024 at 21:25.
lemedico is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 21:51   #41
Senior - BHPian

Some are claiming, Nissan is dumping base UK spec models here. As these are mild hybrids, there are not many buyers in UK and hence Nissan has decided to dump these in India. These are limited to 150 units and no further stocks. By looking at car spec, indeed looks like base spec(manual seat adjust, fabric seats, smaller display etc.) with few things like larger alloy wheels and sunroof slapped in . Nissan India will have hard time selling even 150 units and they are boasting of competing against the likes of Kodiaq/Fortuner!
Old 23rd July 2024, 21:57   #42
Senior - BHPian

The NHTSA is currently pursuing an investigation involving over 450,000 vehicles which use Nissan’s 1.5L variable compression engines.

According to the NHTSA, owners are reporting knocking sounds, loss of power, metal bits in their oil pans, and even total failures.

Nissan Variable Compression Engine under investigation of NHTSA

Last edited by AMG Power : 23rd July 2024 at 22:00.
AMG Power is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 22:07   #43
BHPian

Dear Nissan,

You have launched something finally. Word of advice, price this at par with Grand Vitara, may be Fronx. Hopefully you will have some customers, beyond this don't bother. Its mostly its DOA.

Thanks
nimbus1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 22:27   #44
BHPian

I was very excited when I started reading the review. By the end of the review I totally lost interest in the X-trail. If I was looking for a 5+2 seater in the 35-45 lakhs price range, I wouldn’t even bother to test drive this one after reading this review. I would pick the Škoda Kodiaq or the Jeep Meridian over this any day depending upon the fuel preference.
Superb review, as always
Old 23rd July 2024, 22:53   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
with few things like larger alloy wheels and sunroof slapped in .
Sunroof is not easy to slap on, unless they cut the roof and install it like a aftermarket sunroof. If they have done it, it is going to have reliability issues.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks