Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2024, 15:42   #181
BHPian

Re: 2024 Nissan X-Trail Review

If Kia Seltos was a case study of "How to launch a car in India" in B Schools, this car can be a case study of "How not to launch a car ". I tried very hard to appreciate atleast one aspect of the car but failed. As some members said, every car, even a flop one, will have atleast something going for it. This has none. Even at 30 lakhs OTR, I find the car underwhelming, what to speak of 60 lakhs? The only purpose this car serves is to make entry level German cars look value for money.
DonHyd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2024, 15:59   #182
BANNED

Are they out of their minds? At this price [Fortuner top-end level] they will struggle to get to double digit sales. Outlier pricing for below average engine, feature list, interiors. When actual good products like Tucson / Kodiaq are struggling with 10 to 15L less price.

A sane pricing would be 20-27L ex showroom (positioned between XUV700 and Meridian / Tucson), then also it would be tough journey but this pricing is crazy at another level.

Last edited by Axe77 : 2nd August 2024 at 20:52. Reason: Caps. Punctuation.
Old 2nd August 2024, 16:29   #183
BHPian

Someone will still buy this and make a vlog on "First new Xtrail in India"
boniver is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2024, 16:38   #184
Senior - BHPian

While I knew the pricing would be high and I wouldnt be surprised, Nissan went that extra mile to surprise me nevertheless. 50 lakhs for this, which easily translates to more than 60 big ones on road.

How they just overlooked the competition is outright funny.

You wanted to launch a Halo product? The Nissan Patrol is right there. With the following it has it would sell a decent number of units even if it was priced over 2 crores.

The X-Trail is not a halo product by any measure.

If this is the kind of pricing thats coming, Nissan should reconsider their CBU launching innings in India. All the products will go the same way.

This SUV literally went from X-Trail to X-Troll in a matter of minutes.
Dippy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2024, 17:46   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starke View Post
With those limited numbers, I don't think it can never called as sales success/failure since their whole intention is to keep it as an attention garner to keep the momentum.
Total disaster by Nissan India but this post by fellow BHPian makes sense.

Last edited by Axe77 : 2nd August 2024 at 20:53. Reason: Poorly typed post.
vzvish91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2024, 18:28   #186
BHPian

Nissan doesn’t seem to be serious for India, X-Trail at this price is almost (e)X-Tinct .
GautamJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2024, 18:29   #187
BHPian

Wow! goes on to show how cars are SO overpriced back in India. I wonder how this story goes forward with the rising 'jobless growth' and declining purchasing power of the masses. The future looks very sobering for the next gen.
LaRoca is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2024, 19:20   #188
BHPian

Wrong product with wrong timing, planning and pricing by Nissan. When the reviews were out and after going through the pictures of the car , it felt like the car was more suited or relevant some 8- 9 years back. The pricing itself (CBU) tells that Nissan India have not done proper groundwork. Of the JV partners ( Renualt and Nissan), only the former seems to be churnjng some decent vehicles, but even they have held themselves from launching their best offerings.

As much as we respect the Japanese for their technological prowess and resillience that have set example to many conuntries, their business plan as far as India is concerned has mostly been about business sustainability and over simplicity rather than a proper bsuiness roadmap and undoing errors from their previous product strategies.

Nissan could have brought the Ariya or Murano, which would have made good sense, given how large SUV and electric cars have found some traction in India and there is currently a market for such vehicles. It would have benefitted their Sales and service partners monetarily and also would have instilled some amoynt of hope.

At this stage , Nissan should rather think of localising some of their current cars in India or develop some new models exclusive to Indian Sub continet . Otherwise it will be too difficult for the brand to continue business in Indian market.
Old 2nd August 2024, 19:23   #189
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseblood View Post
Again, Calm down guys!

2) If anybody is holding out their breath for the GTR, I suggest you better have a doc on standby! Not happening. If you so desire, don't expect it to be priced as an Octavia (even the CBU one).

Cheers!
errr....
https://www.nissan.in/latest-news/Ni...e_booking.html
the docs have come, and we all are fine

No one is complaining about the 62 Lac OTR, the furore is about what Nissan thinks is good value for 62 Lacs.

The absolute point about HALO cars is to create an illogical desire for the brand and hence all of its products. Now, if this over priced car makes you feel amazing things for Nissan, then good for you. But i can ensure you that it does nothing for me, and a few more autolovers like me.

For the largely educated (autowise educated), this is a rip-off and a Lazy attempt.

Again, as you mentioned no one is holding a gun to ones head to buy or not, similarly there's no one holding one back from calling out companies that offer outdated products at exorbitant prices
ac 427 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2024, 19:37   #190
BHPian

Disappointed to see the price. Tata and Mahindra are giving way too much advanced features in Safari/Harrier duo and XUV700/Scorpio-N at much lower price.
I don't think this would fly in India market. Nissan should re-think on their pricing strategy.
Old 2nd August 2024, 19:45   #191
BANNED

Finally, I want to see a competitor grow in India and beat the Toyota Fortuner because it can set price and quality standards for the India Automobile industry. Let's see when Ford launches its Endeavour and what pricing they offer to balance it.

What do you all think about MG Gloster?

Last edited by Turbanator : 2nd August 2024 at 20:06. Reason: Capitalisation, please proofread before posting.
VikramAditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2024, 20:52   #192
BHPian

See.. they got 13 pages coverage in teambhp. Guess that’s more than the units they intend to sell. Just get to remind people that the brand still exists in the country with zero effort or cost. As the saying goes any publicity is good publicity!
Neelavi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2024, 21:04   #193
Senior - BHPian

Well. I have no words at all. In the other thread, I had mentioned let's hold back our opinions till the official review comes out and they declare the prices. But I guess, the obnoxious pricing has made Nissan officially dead in India now. That is some really bad pricing for an outdated product.

Best of luck moving these from the showroom floors. I guess someone at Nissan got way too greedy thinking they could do a Toyota Fortuner. No words to say.
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2024, 22:15   #194
BHPian

The brand name Nissan and it's portfolio worldwide is just like a "Visiting Card" to us Indians. It's gets them a foot in the door. That's all.It sets the stage for them to prove themselves with good products "suited" to us Indians. Give us a good vfm product and we will gladly embrace it.

Case in point - Duster/Terrano, Ecosport(Ford), Magnite/Kiger.

Many brands have survived with a single product for many years. But the moment you take us for granted, we will show you the door and say "Thank you".

If they had priced it around 20 lakhs, they would have made loss no doubt, but would have got a good base to stand upon in SUV segment. Profits will start coming in once the business grows as demand increases

The situation now is, neither there is profit nor business growth. Heck,they even lost customers who had some ray of hope on them.

PS: Please add all your "investment",salaries and other costs under "Expenses" line item in your account books.,claim tax benefit and be happy. This is the only takeaway for you. " Yay! Saved some taxes".
akhil_007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2024, 23:55   #195

Hello fellow Bhpians,

This is my first post in the forum, though I have been an avid reader for many years. Thank you Mods for approving me.

Unpopular opinion. Nissan is well aware about the market and consumer preferences. Its just that they don't care about it. Over the recent years Nissan's sales has been dwindling in almost all market they operate and Indian market was never in the HQ's radar. They just want to use India as a manufacturing base and exports cars. That's were their actual profit lies. They have no inclination to sell cars to the domestic product.

Launching XTrail is not to showcase their engineering prowess or challenge other competitors but just to add one more product to their line-up and create a buzz. Whether it's sells or not is beyond the point. Thats one of the reason they launched the base variant of the prefaclifted car. They very well know that even if they launched the facelifted top variants still it'll collect dust in the showrooms. Nissan brand doesn't have that kind of a pull in Indian market.

Ingredient for success in Indian market:
1. Multiple launches in a year with all the bling which customer wants
2. Keep the line-up fresh
3. Make quick fire decisions to compete with competition (Read Exter's launch to match with Punch)
4. Offer VFM product that also has some aspirational value.
5. Top notch after sales and service

Unfortunately Nissan is ill equipped with any of above pointers. Though Magnite is a pure VFM proposition I doubt not many will pick it over other cars in the same segment. Combined with their non existent dealerships, traditional Japanese origin (requiring multilevel approvals even for a small change) and troubled partnership with Renault doesn't bode well for them. For now Nissan is in survival mode. With current competition and tax structure I don't think Nissan will launch any relevant product for us.

There is already news about launching Arya as a CBU and Magnite facelift is just around the corner. This will help them to keep the dealers interested till they launch Duster's version which again will be export focused based on recent news.

So, in my humble opinion we don't have to take anything serious about Nissan.

Will they pack the bags and leave? Absolutely Not!

Will they give the product we want? Absolutely Not!
Rumblestrip is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks