Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2024, 19:37   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2024 Tata Altroz Racer Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassics45 View Post
Prassy reviews are better than any reviews anywhere online.
I concur there.

Prassy reviews are as good as our moderators as his reviews are of high quality and standard, detailed, and more practical. Prassy helped me choose Jimny and helped me know the limitations and accept it rather than complain later.

Last edited by VW2010 : 17th June 2024 at 19:45. Reason: Removed a personal ask as it make the person feel awkward.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2024, 19:39   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
It is very disappointing to go through each of the videos and realize, they are driving it like a cab. Each of the media representatives do not know how to drive this car and I am sticking with that take.
In this social media (r)age with so many new automotive channels, specially run by people without experience, we tend to get misled.

I saw one small YouTube automotive channel video stating Altroz Racer was a "Beast" to drive. Another channel putting the car totally down.

That said, the established channels all do a very good job of covering all the points.

But I understand your opinion, we tend to trust those guys with whom we have driven well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
If someone wants a fast car, a punch ev can do 0-100 in 9.5, and a Nexon in 8.9 seconds.

Is it worth throwing money at a ICE car to win the acceleration contest when both better power and speed are available in other models?
Would you like riding a 150 bhp scooter or a 150 bhp Superbike with 6 gears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassics45 View Post
Prassy reviews are better than any reviews anywhere online.
Bro is in a playful mood, I see.

Altroz Diesel vs Altroz Racer, I still feel Racer is more VFM. Current diesel altroz and Altroz Racer are priced identically, while the Racer gets updated infotainment, 4 more airbags, electric sunroof, 360 degree cam, ventilated seats, wireless charger etc. The facelift of Altroz will see all models get these features. But that will also increase the diesel model prices by 1.5 lakhs over Altroz Racer.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 17th June 2024 at 20:02.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 17th June 2024, 22:05   #48
BHPian

For riding enthusiasts, they used to prefer Polo earlier.

Is altroz racer the thing to look out as the Polo replacement ?
Old 17th June 2024, 22:19   #49

I have owned and been using the i-Turbo for the past two and half years (Prasanna's just two or three months if I'm correct). And I have covered 61,200 till date (from Nov '21) and 98% of this is covered by myself in Highways (state and national), Interior roads and once a year village area for crop survey.

Based on my experience, the driving dynamics of this car is so sorted at high speeds that, I keep pushing it in the highways (City Model only) quite often.

Coming to the Racer / i-Turbo+, I think (purely on the performance point of view), based on others' opinion, I feel this iteration of Altroz wasn't necessary (I'll definitely take a test drive and leave an opinion if it changes).

Why is it unnecessary?
1) Cause in my i-Turbo, the city mode is always enough for 95% time and the sport comes in whenever I need to push the car or enjoy a wee bit more power at the tap and that's it. But, I always felt that it needed the sixth gear (from day one) for it to extract the few more power that is being wasted due to gearbox limitation.

2) Since the car is always in Sport mode it will definitely have major concern over its fuel efficiency. With the sport mode in i-Turbo, it's always as low as 11.2kmpl on the instrument cluster (even if you cruise below 120 on highways) and 15kmpl in city mode. So, I assume the new iteration would be end up at 12kmpl on the instrument cluster.

What Prasanna has described this car as seems to most appropriate. It couldn't have been better I feel.

All the differences apart, hope the new iteration of Altroz bring in some sales and push it up the ranks.

Oh! Happy and Safe Motoring everyone

Last edited by Aditya : 18th June 2024 at 15:58. Reason: Rule #11
anupmpatilbyd is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th June 2024, 23:50   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by userAditya View Post
There is no correct answer to your query since every driver is different & have their own set of likes & dislikes.

I would suggest you to get a test drive of this, i20 N-line, new Swift & Slavia/Virtus (since they carry forward the 1.0 TSI engine from Polo).
Old 18th June 2024, 06:53   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Polo had strong engines/slick transmission and an equally nice chassis. But the steering was lifeless. Puntos and figos/Fiestas had much better steering feel and feedback.

An ideal car would have been one with Polo's engines + Altroz's driving dynamics & build quality + Nline's aftersales and service.

I have had excellent time driving our 2013 Polo 1.6GT TDI. Personally, I felt 1.6 GT TDI was more fun than Polo 1.0 TSI. I have also driven the 1.2 TSI but I am no fan of AT cars.

I am sure if Tata ever decides to launch Altroz turbo diesel in nexon tune, with 115 BHP & 260 Nm, that car, will be the spiritual successor to the Polo GT TDI. Altroz Racer is let down by the engine and is definitely not a Polo replacement.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 18th June 2024 at 07:04.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th June 2024, 10:36   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post

* Decent Performance - The 1.2 turbo is a very decent performer. It makes the Altroz Racer a perfect car for someone who enjoys the highways. Earlier, if you want an altroz to do fast highway driving, it had to be the diesel engine. Now customers have another choice. I read the top speed was limited to 165 kmph. Even the 5th gear feels like overdrive gear and makes the top end progress duller than the 4th.

Attachment 2617722
Is the top speed really restricted to 165kmph? Not sure why would Tata do that for their performance variant.
Old 18th June 2024, 10:40   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Is the top speed really restricted to 165kmph? Not sure why would Tata do that for their performance variant.
No, it is not. I couldn't share that data as it would go against forum rules.

The Altroz Racer does more than that specified speed in 4th gear. But that's about it. There wasn't much progress in 5th and 6th gears.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 18th June 2024 at 10:53.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th June 2024, 11:56   #54
BHPian

I think Tata Motors is slowly losing the plot. 1.5 years after announcing the racer all they could do is some minor improvements. Think they lost the opportunity here.. This is hardly a small facelift of existing Altroz as a special edition and can't be considered anything else.

That gear knob looks like taken from old Maruthi 800's era. That was better looking IMO. How can they even pass this vehicle as Racer with such a pathetic looking gear knob.
ashpkd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th June 2024, 07:10   #55
BHPian

Quote:

In terms of driving dynamics, build quality, safety yes. The chassis is very similar to the Polo in how stable it is at high speeds, I'd say the ride is even better than the Polo, I compared them both back to back and (Altroz diesel, not racer) I found the altroz to be a bit more comfortable over bumps. The steering feel and feedback is also better in the Altroz, i think Polo's steering drawbacks are pretty well known here, both are no match for the Punto or Figo (both gens) though.

In that respect, it is the replacement.

But in terms of engines, not really, atleast not vs the GT Polos.

1.5 diesel is a brilliant motor but they shot themselves in the foot by not giving it the Nexon tune. It is maybe a match for the regular 1.5 TDI Polo but not for the GT.

With petrols, it has always been their Achilles heel. The new set of TGDi motors cannot come sooner for tata. 1.2 Revotron never was a performance oriented motor and it's age has been showing for quite some time now.

P.S. before any upcoming STUPID emissions regulations further cripples engines, I hope they launch a racer edition of the diesel Altroz with the 1.5 in Nexon tune + it's 6 speed gearbox so that many people including me can get one.

A lot of the cars I've owned are 5 speed, I think it's time I add another one with a 6 speed gearbox to my garage for relaxed cruising and 30 kmpl.

Last edited by SaiSW : 20th June 2024 at 07:18.
SaiSW is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2024, 20:13   #56
BHPian

So my observations based on the TBHP review and the reviews around on how it can sell more (if someone at Tata Motors is reading it)

1. Offer it in sober colors too, much like the iTurbo
2. Bring an automatic version
3. Keep at least the city mode if not eco mode (maybe default can be sport mode)
4. Sober colors can have regular interiors too or at least mix of black and grey interiors devoid of orange lighting and maybe white/blue ambient lighting.
5. Sporty metal pedals would have been another visual add-on considering its a racer car.

Few of these above demands are doable to ship before the festive season (as they used to do with their forever new campaign) against the demands of diesel racer, diesel automatic racer, etc. That will definitely increase the footfalls into the favour of altroz who have decided to skip the regular NA due to a lackluster engine but don't want to scream everywhere they go in the car that they brought a racer car that still can't do 0-100 within 10 seconds.
PrasunBannerjee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2024, 23:25   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vattyboy View Post
Autocar has posted a 0-100 test of the Altroz Racer on Instagram according to the speedometer and it has done it in 12.05 sec. If the Vbox test is done on it then it will reach 13 sec territory.

There is no denying the fact that 120 horses in Altroz don't perform in real life.
FYI these are Vbox figures. Here's a screengrab from the reel for your reference:
2024 Tata Altroz Racer Review-screenshot_20240622_232320_instagram.jpg
S2!!! is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2024, 12:31   #58
Senior - BHPian

EvoIndia reviewer says he could get 0-100 in 11.1 seconds.

Quote:
There’s a learning curve to get the best out of this manual transmission, and it doesn’t feel as intuitive as it should. This transmission also makes it hard to get a 0-100kmph time. The claim from Tata Motors is 11.3 seconds. Our first run was over 13 seconds and with some practice and learning through the day, we got it down to 11.1 seconds — in the same ballpark as Tata’s claim.
safari_lover is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th June 2024, 13:14   #59
Senior - BHPian

My first attempt was 13.5
Second was 12.5

After that I had better things to do than wrestle with the clutch pedal so I moved on.
gsferrari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2024, 15:59   #60
BHPian

Well done Tata.
You have managed to make a racer car, with racing stripes and poser faux Carbon Fibre bonnet, which is slower from 0-100 than a Nissan Magnite Turbo and a Honda Elevate.
0-100 in 12.05 seconds (VBOX Autocar, see post #58 by S2!!! in the last page); joke of a "racer" car.

Honda city 0-100 time = 10.2 seconds VBOX Autocar India (https://www.autocarindia.com/car-rev...t-drive-417757)

Citroen C3 Turbo 0-100 time = 10.72 seconds VBOX Autocar India https://www.autocarindia.com/auto-fe...plained-426582

Magnite turbo 0-100 time 11.16 seconds VBOX Autocar https://www.autocarindia.com/car-rev...t-drive-419214

Honda Elevate 0-100 time 10.82 seconds VBOX Autocar https://www.autocarindia.com/car-rev...807/tech-specs

XUV 300 Turbo sport time 10.9 claimed (no autocar VBOX available, take this with a pinch of slat)

And this is before I throw in some diesels into the mix.

Kia Sonet 0-100 time = 11.48 seconds VBOX Autocar India (Diesel Auto) https://www.autocarindia.com/car-rev...t-drive-418551

Imagine buying a hot hatch for 11 Lakhs on-road, just to get smoked by a Honda city/Elevate.

Honestly, I would beg, borrow or steal another 2 lakhs and buy a base Honda City for 13 Lakhs on-road Delhi, rather than spend 11 on an Altroz racer.
Faster, more reliable, and people wont say he's having a midlife crisis when you pull up in a orange hatchback with black bonnet and white racing stripes.
Especially not when there's not enough go to back the show.

Last edited by Haze : 24th June 2024 at 16:16. Reason: added the racer's 0-100
Haze is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks