Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2024, 15:52   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2024 Tata Altroz Racer Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
Great review as always, it's a great package for the price.

Managed to collect few performance timings of the competitions,

i20 turbo MT : 10.66s
i20 turbo DCT : 11.31s
Citroen C3 turbo MT : 10.72s
Skoda SLAVIA 1.0 MT : 11.16s
Altroz racer MT : 11.31s
FRONX turbo MT : 11.4s
Maruti SWIFT NA MT : 17s
The Citroen with the identically sized turbo petrol is a tad faster, although in real world terms it is just academic. Only that it doesnt have the sporty show with the go.
Old 16th June 2024, 16:47   #17
BHPian

Altroz is a wonderful car overall but it's weakest link has been the petrol engine, looks like it continues to be that way, Tata does not have a good petrol motor as yet and it is likely to remain so until they launch the direct injection motors they have planned or license an engine from another manufacturer. The current 1200cc 3 cylinder motor was average at best and feels rudimentary among the direct injection options today. (most of my opinions are based on my test drive experience of the latest Nexon DCA that arguably has a better gearbox than the notchy manual here)
abaliga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2024, 17:29   #18
BHPian

Wonder what specification on the transmission defines a long clutch travel? When manual Hatchbacks are closely competing for comfort and performance, this aspect should not have been overlooked. More importantly experience of driving in city traffic takes a beating with long clutch travel and a notchy shifter.
gopa99 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2024, 17:31   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I was very hopeful about the altroz racer. Going by the various reviews, the altroz 1.2 turbo petrol isn't exciting inspite of having 120 PS/ 170 Nm & impressive ride and handling.

At the same price, if you want to buy an Altroz, the 1.5L 4 pot turbo diesel is still the choice to pick. I have even lost the interest to test drive the Racer.
I agree, have lost interest in the Racer. I was awaiting the team bhp review and there is nothing that really stood out for me. Diesel is truly the way to go, if Altroz is the choice. Btw Big fan of your Altroz ownership thread

However for me the use case is not of high running and have my diesel manual kicks fulfilled by the Figo S diesel.

After careful consideration, today I booked XUV 3XO turbo petrol AT AX5L. Reasoned that with the Racer, beyond the obvious spends on getting the boy racer looks sorted, the basic car is just about ho hum and a mishmash of compromises; plus it is a Tata car.

While 3xo costs more, the home minister and kid gave a thumbs up so here we go for the second Mahindra at home, first being XUV 700. Guess this also ends the mid life crisis want for the Thar but who knows
SchnelleKurven is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2024, 17:42   #20
BHPian

This would've been THE perfect hatchback in the segment if they offered it with the 1.5 diesel in Nexon tune (110 ps/260nm) + its 6 speed gearbox.

The 1.5 89ps is already a very good engine that is only limited by the disappointing 5 speed gearbox.

I would've bought one in a heartbeat if this was the case. Safe, well built hatchback, sorted dynamics, rock solid highway stability, powerful diesel, spacious interiors + good bootspace, all the necessary creature comforts like ventilated seats, Android auto etc, this would have been the perfect addition to my garage.

But Tata is Tata, and they will mess something up. That 1.2 turbo never was an outstanding engine by any means.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 18th June 2024 at 08:20. Reason: Using full forms for easy understanding
SaiSW is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2024, 18:05   #21
BHPian

Well, this is disappointing, the styling is showing its age and the dual tone is not at all tastefully done, looks like a Karol Bagh job to me, 0-100 times are bang on in the range of 1.2-1.3 naturally aspirated petrols from 2 decades ago although admittedly being a turbo the delivery of power is far more usable, practical and easy but doesn't justify the racer name.

What I don't seem to agree with team bhp is interior quality, I found latest Verna's interiors to be really well done and well finished especially when considering its price bracket, 1 segment above than Slavia and Virtus and significantly better than the Creta, you guys called it cheap, now these I find clearly cheap looking and not well finished with those semi shiny plastics and cheap looking buttons but you call the interior quality to be good, I even have my disagreements with the always bashed Brezza and Grand Vitara's interiors which though not plush are not cheap either.

Then the atrocious refinement of this Tata engine, sure they must have improved it from before but from my various experiences in Nexon, NVH will always remain a con with this engine no matter what they do, not just the idle vibrations (which seem to have been controlled better) but the overall harshness and unusually loud and harsh sound even from low RPMs, in this way the Maruti, Honda, Hyundai 4 cylinder engines again from decades ago are light years ahead, and even 3 cylinder K series engine in budget cars is noticeably more refined, despite Maruti's poor insulation.
Rocketscience is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2024, 19:23   #22
BHPian

I would still buy this, cause it already has sorted dynamics and safe chassis. Just get a stage one tune done, and I guess we should be good to go. The ride and handling are its strong points. It now has better features, the gearbox is decent, the engine is decent. Also, does look great in the nardo greyish colour. I don't think I would prefer a good engine over a safe care. Just get a stage tune done, it will be very great to drive then.
Elegant is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th June 2024, 20:38   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elegant View Post
I would still buy this, cause it already has sorted dynamics and safe chassis. Just get a stage one tune done, and I guess we should be good to go. The ride and handling are its strong points. It now has better features, the gearbox is decent, the engine is decent. Also, does look great in the nardo greyish colour. I don't think I would prefer a good engine over a safe care. Just get a stage tune done, it will be very great to drive then.
Definately with this, I own a stage 1 iTurbo and it gets around 10.5 ish 0-100 times. In my honest opinion, there's nothing racer about the racer. Its a lot more like a cruiser

The Altroz already has mature handling and dynamics, this engine would really have upped the game (especially a stage 1). But the gearbox is definately a letdown. I thought the point of more gears was to get the ratios closer, so we stay in the power range for longer. This feels more like a cruiser. And I'm not complaining honestly.. just don't call it a racer. Should be the perfect road trip hatch.

If nothing else, the the launch proves how much mechanical potential the iTurbo engine has. And definitely allows iTurbo owners to go above and beyond (I'm eyeing that 6000 redline hehe). Definately getting a proper dyno tune this time.
CannedShroud is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th June 2024, 02:16   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Absolutely love this Altroz, except for the gawdy stickering which I would immediately fix in the aftermarket.

I have been a huge fan of the Altroz since the time I took it on the expressway. Very "big car-like" road manners, deadly styling, top safety, practicality and a great diesel / iTurbo (such a relief after that weedy 1.2L NA petrol).

I can't wait to drive it. While 0-100 times are important, to me, driving pleasure is derived from the "overall package" and this seems like a car I'd love. Can't wait to drive it.

Last edited by GTO : 17th June 2024 at 02:18.
GTO is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 17th June 2024, 07:40   #25
BHPian

The Autocar India review states the Traction control cannot be turned off in the Racer like i20 N line and that along with the jerky gearbox affects the 0-100 time.
Old 17th June 2024, 07:44   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, my diesel SUV is quicker than this?

This definitely needs a better engine and somebody please do something about the exhaust. It looks like a jugaad. Definitely lacks the quality.

Loved the Grey shade with those stripes. Tweak it a bit and it would perfect. As of now, I will skip this, pay little more and get the i20 N-line.
naveen.raju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2024, 07:47   #27
Senior - BHPian

I cannot believe how ugly this thing is. It is riced out straight from the factory. That paint, with those stripes and the blacked out badging that is still spaced out all across the rear hatch I would love to know who at Tata came up with this. The car looks like it is owned by someone who runs an accessory shop in a tier 2 town.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
Managed to collect few performance timings of the competitions,

i20 turbo MT : 10.66s
i20 turbo DCT : 11.31s
Citroen C3 turbo MT : 10.72s
Skoda SLAVIA 1.0 MT : 11.16s
Altroz racer MT : 11.31s
FRONX turbo MT : 11.4s
Maruti SWIFT NA MT : 17s
The nought to hundred time of the Swift you’ve got there seems way off to me. Should be more like 14 seconds unless the car has suddenly gotten way slower than it ever was.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 17th June 2024 at 07:53.
IshaanIan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2024, 07:54   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
The nought to hundred time of the Swift you’ve got there seems way off to me. Should be more like 14 seconds unless the car has suddenly gotten way slower than it ever was.
All hail BS6.2 regulations.

Moreover this has to be the new 3 cylinder 1.2 N/A Swift.

Almost all cars have lost their oomph.

2010-20, BS4 Era was the best!

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 17th June 2024 at 07:56.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th June 2024, 10:18   #29
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

I just wanted to remind you about the details of my Creta D AT. It can go from 0 to 100 kmph in just 10.5 seconds, despite having 5 bhp less and a higher kerb weight of 1379 kgs.

Also, it seems like TAMO might need to work on calibrating the engine and gearbox.

Out of 120 horses in the Altroz it seems like 40 are just sleeping

Last edited by vattyboy : 17th June 2024 at 10:19.
vattyboy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th June 2024, 10:36   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vattyboy View Post
I just wanted to remind you about the details of my Creta D AT. It can go from 0 to 100 kmph in just 10.5 seconds, despite having 5 bhp less and a higher kerb weight of 1379 kgs.
You are forgetting the 80 Nm extra torque that the creta diesel produces.

Moreover Creta 1.5 diesel does 0 to 100 in 11.7 seconds, not 10.5

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 17th June 2024 at 10:38.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks