Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2024, 10:22   #526

Re: 2024 Mahindra XUV 3XO Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by srivatchsan View Post
I took the car yesterday to SVC for some other issue, and I asked for the SD Card to be added, and to my surprise, was told there is no SD card adding provision made in 3XO
This is a bummer. The software has provision for video recording which means they have to have a slot for SD card or have screwed up the SW. whichever way, this is frustrating. My dealer SAs also have poor product knowledge and don’t answer these questions correctly. I’ll try asking them about this once again in the hope they have clarification from OEM since the last time I asked.
Stormbringer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2024, 11:53   #527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanmaj View Post
He also indirectly confirmed that MX1, MX2, MX2 Pro along with the top AX7 variants are yet to be in production line.
The sales reps in Sireesh Mahindra, Bengaluru were quite open and forth coming regarding this. They said manufacturing of the M-variants (with automatic transmission) would not start before July. And realistic delivery date would be in November.

Last edited by ComicCharcoal : 23rd June 2024 at 11:54.
Old 23rd June 2024, 12:16   #528
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post
Not sure what you mean by "half baked 400". Can you elaborate?
Please note that the fines can reach up to ₹50,000 per vehicle sold. Mahindra primarily produces large SUVs, which are not typically known for high fuel efficiency, making it challenging to meet CAFE norms. According to an interview with Rajesh Jejurikar, ED and CEO, Mahindra has initiated an investment of ₹27,000 crore in 2024 for electric vehicle (EV) development over the next 5 to 7 years​ (Autocar India)​. However, recent videos from the Chennai proving ground reveal that EV testing and manufacturing infrastructure are still under construction.

It seems plausible that Mahindra opted to develop an EV quickly to earn Carbon credits and avoid CAFE fines.
This approach appears to be a pragmatic (Jugaad) solution given the circumstances.

Why this approach:
  • The vehicle features dated interiors with limited functionalities, lacking ESP and experiencing unsafe wheel spin, as noted by MotorInc.
  • The platform is heavy, weighing 1600 kg, which is a drawback in the weight-sensitive electric segment.
  • Using Nickel Iron Phosphate (NIP) batteries in hot climates like India poses issues such as decreased efficiency, safety concerns, and accelerated degradation.

Please note again that the fines can go up to ₹50,000 per vehicle sold and May Sales were 43,00 just passenger vehicles and if we add CV, plus numbers of largest tractor maker tractors.

What else can be done to improve efficiency?
Implementing mandatory use of 95-octane fuel could marginally enhance fuel efficiency and adding TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems) could help as well.
It seems the ECU in the 3XO has been mapped for 95 RON fuel, not just to enhance your and my driving pleasure or reduce fuel costs for us, but also to meet CAFE norms.
This s-e-e-m-s to explain why other TGDI engines can deliver peak performance on 91 RON fuel, while the 3XO may not.

All the above is a minor aspect, however I am more concerned about Yum & Yum

- Laggy side camera while driving - They will show me that truck after I hit it
- Reverse and 360 gives blue screen when parking at a mall or apartment basement
- Big Car small seat and If I change cover warranty lag, historically M&M have been quick to blame owners and hide behind lawyers.
- Sudden power at 2300 - In City drive you never know when the horse prances
- Steering requires constant correction at highway speeds, thus tiring you
- Pure Unadulterated Sarkari attitude in sales and customer service response - Once I take your Money Hum Aapke hein Kaun attitude

Though the above may not still be a deal breaker and brethren here who have invested in 3XO do note that it still is a good Car
BSASLR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2024, 13:28   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSASLR View Post
However, recent videos from the Chennai proving ground reveal that EV testing and manufacturing infrastructure are still under construction.
It seems plausible that Mahindra opted to develop an EV quickly to earn Carbon credits and avoid CAFE fines.
This approach appears to be a pragmatic (Jugaad) solution given the circumstances.
I am not looking at the CAFE angle here. That might or might not be totally accurate. That wasn't my point. My point was, in what sense is the XUV400 half baked? Let's go through the points presented in the previous comment.

Quote:
The vehicle features dated interiors with limited functionalities, lacking ESP and experiencing unsafe wheel spin, as noted by MotorInc.
1. At the time that it was launched, the XUV400 shared its interiors with the XUV300. So "dated interiors" is invalid, since that was the only interior they had at the time. It makes sense to make an EV version of an existing ICE car. Nexon did the same. Astor/ZS did the same. I don't see this as "half baked". This is just standard business process.

2. EVs are very easy to wheelspin. I have done that on a Nexon EV (pre-facelift version) accidentally. EV motors have a ridiculous amount of torque and can put it down instantaneously. EV tyres are low rolling resistance, in order to increase efficiency.
Low rolling resistance + instant torque = wheelspin. Very basic physics. It's in the nature of every EV.

Quote:
The platform is heavy, weighing 1600 kg, which is a drawback in the weight-sensitive electric segment.
3. Platform weight - the basic platform itself is heavy. The XUV300 diesel variants tops out at 1420kg. Batteries are extremely heavy. So it's bound to be heavy. However, this is going to be an issue with every EV. Even the Nexon EV is about ~100kg heavier than its ICE cousins. Again, doesn't make it "half baked".

Quote:
Using Nickel Iron Phosphate (NIP) batteries in hot climates like India poses issues such as decreased efficiency, safety concerns, and accelerated degradation.
4. As far as I know, XUV400 uses an NMC process battery. Not NIP. NMC batteries have a higher energy density than LFP, meaning the battery has a higher capacity than an LFP battery of the same size would. That's a good thing, as far as I understand? Not sure what's "half baked" here.

Quote:
What else can be done to improve efficiency?
Implementing mandatory use of 95-octane fuel could marginally enhance fuel efficiency and adding TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems) could help as well.
It seems the ECU in the 3XO has been mapped for 95 RON fuel, not just to enhance your and my driving pleasure or reduce fuel costs for us, but also to meet CAFE norms.
This s-e-e-m-s to explain why other TGDI engines can deliver peak performance on 91 RON fuel, while the 3XO may not.
TPMS is already standard across all variants AFAIK. My teammate has a 2023 W4 variant 300, and even that has TPMS. But TPMS does NOT help with fuel efficiency directly.

"other TGDI engines can deliver peak performance on 91 RON fuel". As I tried to explain to you in the previous comment, engines can work perfectly normal with 91 octane. It's not going to suddenly kill the engine. There's a good long discussion about it here. (Explained : Octane Number, Cetane Number, Fuel Myths & Mixing Different Fuels)

In fact, I urge you to go through this thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...l-engines.html (Fuel pump failures in Hyundai-Kia vehicles with the turbo-petrol engines)

It seems that some batches of Hyundai and Kia vehicles did face fuel pump failures on the TGDi variants. So all isn't peachy.

So Hyundai and Kia can feel free to certify a high power engine on RON91, and M&M can feel free to certify theirs on RON95. A lot of manufacturers recommend higher octane fuel. Nothing new there.

Quote:
- Laggy side camera while driving - They will show me that truck after I hit it
You are not supposed to 100% rely on the side camera inputs. I have driven a Seltos top variant, and even that thing had a slight camera lag with the side cameras. Same with an MG ZS EV. Not unique, and one should not be relying on these. One should always use the mirrors as the primary source.

If someone hits a truck because of relying entirely on the side camera and ignoring the mirror, it's 100% their fault. You cannot miss a truck in the ORVM.

Quote:
- Reverse and 360 gives blue screen when parking at a mall or apartment basement
I have not read this to be a very common issue. In fact, your mention is the first I am hearing of this. There is no reason those cameras should suddenly malfunction only in parking lots.

Quote:
- Big Car small seat and If I change cover warranty lag, historically M&M have been quick to blame owners and hide behind lawyers.
Small seat? Brother my 6'6" 150kg friend can sit in the 3XO. I am not sure what your definition of "small seat" is. And seat covers don't void warranty. Please show me a documented case where M&M have rejected a warranty claim because of seat covers?

The technical and actual reason against *aftermarket* seat covers is that the seats have airbags in them. So putting on a random seat cover on them can potentially block out those airbags, rendering them useless! It's for a legitimate reason! Not some arbitrary whim.

Quote:
- Sudden power at 2300 - In City drive you never know when the horse prances
This is something any driver has to get used to. I have tried it out, and it's not unmanageable. Anyone not comfortable with how turbo boost works is free to buy a non turbocharged vehicle.

Quote:
- Steering requires constant correction at highway speeds, thus tiring you
I didn't experience this on a Samruddhi run in my 300, and it's mechanically the same car.

There's also one very major factor that necessitates steering inputs: The road being uneven and not flat. This is 100% the case with Samrudhhi. The surface is extremely undulating and uneven. It's not the cars fault. It's the road.

Quote:
- Pure Unadulterated Sarkari attitude in sales and customer service response - Once I take your Money Hum Aapke hein Kaun attitude
Well, I have been dealing with service centers for the last 3 years, and have not experienced what you are mentioning here.

I hope one does understand that M&M does not operate the showrooms and service centers directly. They are franchises operated by third parties. And how the third party behaves is not directly in the control of the manufacturer.
ashishk29 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2024, 13:43   #530
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 24th June 2024 at 06:22.
BSASLR is offline   Received Infraction
Old 23rd June 2024, 13:49   #531

My 3XO AX5 manual in Galaxy Grey after a bath.
Attached Thumbnails
2024 Mahindra XUV 3XO Review-img_5076.jpeg  

2024 Mahindra XUV 3XO Review-img_5080.jpeg  

darinbaruah is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2024, 15:02   #532

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarath_online View Post
I am attaching the press release here.
After carefully reading this Press release I figured out following, it might be known to everyone already but here is fresh learnings-

1. MX1 variant only available in TCMPFI petrol engine and no DIESEL. So 7.49 Lakhs buyers are forced to buy Petrol, Introductory price is for petrol only.

2. Base variant for DIESEL lovers is MX2. In another way Petrol's lovers cant buy MX2 TCMPFI variant, only variant they buy above Base MX1 is MX2 Pro.

3. Base model for Petrol AT is MX2 Pro AT and Base model for Diesel AT is MX3. Here Mahindra played very well and offered real VFM for Automatic lovers providing them just above the base variant. This is reason why Kushaq Onyx AT variant is launched by Skoda? going forwards we may see slotting of AT variants by other manufacturers just above the base variant.

Regarding waiting period-

Received the communication from most of dealers is 10 weeks is official waiting period communicated by Mahindra on MX2 variant onwards. So if we take that at face value 2.5 to 3 months waiting period is ideal. The only worry I have is considering 03 months waiting from now is start of festival seasons like Ganesh Chaturthi, Navaratri, Dussehra and Diwali (Sept. to Oct 2024 Months) and Mahindra may jack up the prices at this time. This time also a 06 months time after launch of vehicle. Actually this festival season is ideal time to raise the prices and there will not be much damage considering the sentiments. So for me VFM quotient is dependent on prices and I may need to rethink my decision if it happens.

Last edited by KarthikK : 23rd June 2024 at 15:08. Reason: Please use ‘I’ in place of ‘i’.
BeastLoading is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2024, 17:39   #533

Quote:
Received the communication from most of dealers is 10 weeks is official waiting period communicated by Mahindra on MX2 variant onwards. So if we take that at face value 2.5 to 3 months waiting period is ideal.
Enquired about the waiting periods on the AX5L variant some dealers are still quoting 10 weeks in Bangalore even for the AX variants.
Tensor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2024, 18:14   #534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinbaruah View Post
My 3XO AX5 manual in Galaxy Grey after a bath.
I must admit this is one of the best photos of Grey that I have seen.

Compared to your Swift how does the 3XO feel? Especially 'Highway'

Overall, how has your experience been with the car and with Mahindra?
Your care seems to be XUV3XO AX5, have you noticed any difference using 91 and 95 RON Petrol?
BSASLR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2024, 18:35   #535
BHPian

Just came back after taking a test drive of the MPFI AT. Like a few fellow members here felt minor vibrations on the steering wheel at idle.

This went away immediately on throttle input. The higher variants definitely look premium. Personally, I am interested only in the MX2 Pro AT. For that one, the salesman mentioned waiting period of 4 to 5 months.

By that time, I am sure Mahindra willl hike the prices but at least for now I don't believe XUV 3XO competitors have a base AT variant (don't mean AMT/IMT here).

I am kind of shocked about how little our money is worth though. Compare the AX5L (i think ...forgot to note it down) that I test drove to the Honda City (3rd gen) AT i have now and I am struggling to find a reason to upgrade.

Sure, you get a better engine and newer gearbox (and some features) but you loose on space big time (both inside the car and the boot space lost would make my mom cry on road trips) and dare i say even refinement. Can't believe how hollow our choices are these days.
JithinR is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2024, 19:30   #536

Quote:
I must admit this is one of the best photos of Grey that I have seen.

Compared to your Swift how does the 3XO feel? Especially 'Highway'

Overall, how has your experience been with the car and with Mahindra?
Your care seems to be XUV3XO AX5, have you noticed any difference using 91 and 95 RON Petrol?
Thank you so much. I have not had the chance to drive the 3XO yet in the highway yet but even in the city I have enjoyed the drives. It’s is very easy to drive in the city. The gear shifts are smooth and steering feels lighter than my Swift. The turning radius is also good for taking U turns. Regarding fuel, I am using regular petrol and have not yet noticed any drops in power. But the fuel economy hovers around 10kmpl in bumper to bumper stop and go traffic.
I had booked the car offline before the booking started and the dealer had officially booked the same the day the bookings opened. Finally took delivery on 20th June. The dealership experience in Guwahati has been very good. They have even asked me if I would like to purchase the insurance from them or outside. I purchased it from outside and saved quite a lot even with all the add-ons.
I am just keeping my fingers crossed for the service experience because the delivery experience has been quite good.
But I am getting slight issues with the touchscreen. It takes time to pop up when I engage reverse gear. Hope it gets sorted out soon.
darinbaruah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2024, 12:25   #537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZohiAres View Post
Thank you so much! Here’s how I did it, After pairing with AndroidAuto, open google maps and start directions for a desired location. When the directions starts to show on the infotainment screen. Now in the MID select Navigation menu. It will mirror the google maps this time. If we do the same without AndroidAuto it opens mapmyindia by default. Just as mapmyindia the mirrored google map will show in between speedometer and tachometer, with the option to expand it to full screen by pressing & holding Enter button on the steering wheel. Hope this helps.
Yes, this worked both for android auto and carplay! But strangely in the XUV700 the directions are not shown, only the map is shown which makes it useless for navigation. Hopefully in the next update the directions are also shown.
sapien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2024, 12:26   #538

I have one query though. Has anyone installed a dashcam in their 3XO?
Old 24th June 2024, 19:20   #539

Quote:
Originally Posted by srivatchsan View Post
I asked for the SD Card to be added, and to my surprise, was told there is no SD card adding provision made in 3XO
I went to the service centre to get my SW updated. This fixed Android Auto errors and Alexa for me (no CarPlay yet and they have no timeline). I asked about the SD card and the SA said that it should be possible given the setup is similar to XUV 700, they have not received SOP from Mahindra for installing SD card yet and until that comes, they cannot do it.
Old 24th June 2024, 19:46   #540

Quote:
Originally Posted by kush2545 View Post
Are there any intricacies with the yellow color. I'm a tid anxious now lol
Hi Kush, first of all congratulations on the new car. Sorry to hear about your issues.

I'm into the automotive industry and take care of paint development as a part of my Job Responsibility.

The yellow that Mahindra is using is a 3 Coat 1 Bake System (Primer + Basecoat + Clearcoat).

As its often said; yellow pigments fail easily, which is true.

However, this color and a lot of present day yellows use a very dull basecoat (which is your coloured layer) which makes them use very less pigments which are normally responsible for the fading issues.

Instead they play on your metallic clear coat which gives it the vibrance that we see, which doesn't have the UV fading issue.

So these modern day paint systems are bulletproof, but still if you have some worry you can get a Ceramic Coat or PPF done on it which will give it further UV Shielding.

Happy Motoring

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th June 2024 at 10:14. Reason: Formatting to remove some unnecessary spaces around punctuation marks. Thanks!
ishan0278 is offline   (21) Thanks

Most Viewed