Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2024, 17:43   #181

Re: 2024 Mahindra XUV 3XO Review

Dear All,

Is the mStallion Turbo Petrol TGDI engine is proven, tried and tested engine or a new one?
Is it the same in XUV300? I am looking for MT.
Is there any vehicle with this engine and how is the reviews?

Also how is realistic fuel efficiency (approx)
Old 17th May 2024, 23:22   #182
BANNED

Looking to replace my beloved Honda Brio S MT 2014.

Priorities: Safety, Powerful AC, Cabin Space, Premium-ness of interiors(plastic quality, overall feel), Good music system, light interiors, Milage.
Prefer Automatic(TC/DCT/CVT) but okay with Manual if needed.

Discarded Kushaq/Taigun 1.0s for cabin space and AC performance, Brezza for Interior quality, Sonet/Venue for Safety and cabin space.

Checked out Nexon Petrol AT, I have to discard fearless as it comes with all Dark interior and even in a short test drive of 6-8 km, I felt nauseous as I cannot sit in a all dark cars. So only Nexon that is available for me is Creative + which misses on some essential features like 60-40 split, rear defogger, basic cruise control. However, clean light interiors of creative+ and awesome speaker/infotainment setup feels great. I am sure, dealership will be ready to sweeten the deal now after 3XO from OTR quote of ~14.5 for AT

Checked out Elevate VX+O(airbags and safety) CVT, slightly stretches the budget(~17 OTR) but it's like home coming for me! I liked the driving dynamics, smooth as butter CVT as I drive lightfooted and up to max ~100 kmph on expressways. It misses on cruise control and also outer space to cabin space ratio does not seem right, as it feels like I'm just dragging a large boot unnecessarily. Plus music system needs a complete replacement, my Brio is much better in this regard.

Now, TD XUV 3XO Diesel Manual today, here is what I felt:

Looks feel like this poster, with all shiny and angle-ly/curvy things

2024 Mahindra XUV 3XO Review-screenshot-20240517-11.04.278239pm.png

However, I am least concerned on looks. Still, it amuses me that they went on with more quirky/futuristic/unique design than Nexon, more cladding than Brezza and lot's of Piono black poking out! Anyways, I'm okay with looks being like that!

Infotainment: It was buggy, We could hardly connect our phone and it kept disconnecting. We were told we will get OTA for fix. Speaker quality is aweful in AX5(I like crystal clear sound). I liked the hardware buttons for AC and various controls, overall the cabin felt overwhelming again, same as exteriors. Best thing for me was option for changing light seat covers, and get all light interiors!

Drivability: Diesel engine is very powerful, without any lag even in low RPMs. Gear throws are longer compared to Honda, but very smooth. Clutch travel is longer, but again smooth, I did not experience jerks mentioned in some reviews. Only problem is no legroom besides clutch for left foot, forget about the dead paddle. Overall footwell did felt cramped - I am not sure if there is any tricks to overcome this limitation for longer drives. BHPians, please suggest

Suspension is butter smooth, I tried rough patches with very un-even surfaces, and this not only felt like smoothest suspension, it was way way better than any other competition. I know citron uses the word flying carpet, but that is exactly what It felt like.

Diesel engine is super silent till 2500 rpm, later the grunt is kind of sweet. Cabin noise insulation is super awesome again for engine and road both, comparable to Nexon.

I am trying to decide on AX5 Diesel Manual vs AX5 TMFi Petrol AT, both are at similar price, yet to test drive TMFi Petrol AT, as no Dealership in Ahmedabad or Gandhinagar has it yet.

Only 2 differences that will matter here, cramped up footwell and milage. My usual run is 13-15k/year, so I was thinking if I like Diesel Manual, then I will buy that for better milage, but the footwell issue is putting me off. Please suggest your opinions.
Nepster88 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th May 2024, 23:34   #183
BHPian

The base variant caught my eye. Only pain point is the missing rear wiper and rear defogger. Why manufacturers don't think this is a safety feature is beyond me.

Anyway, the feature list of base variant at the price point is too tempting. I will be taking a test drive, and if ticks all the boxes, I will book it. I hope mahindra doesn't hike the price before delivery. That would be a very 'Kia-ish' move.
Benoit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2024, 12:39   #184
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Came across this review of the AX5 TCMPFI AT. Could someone summarize it as it's in Tamil ?

By the way, the video is a bit confusing since he is claiming to be driving AX5 but it has drive modes ZIP, ZAP,ZOOM which as far as I know is exclusive to the TGDI. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Here is the video:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepster88 View Post
I am trying to decide on AX5 Diesel Manual vs AX5 TMFi Petrol AT, both are at similar price, yet to test drive TMFi Petrol AT, as no Dealership in Ahmedabad or Gandhinagar has it yet.

Only 2 differences that will matter here, cramped up footwell and milage. My usual run is 13-15k/year, so I was thinking if I like Diesel Manual, then I will buy that for better milage, but the footwell issue is putting me off. Please suggest your opinions.
AT has a dead pedal and is quite convenient. So if you have issue with cramped footwell , definitely go for AT.

Last edited by DCEite : 18th May 2024 at 12:49.
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2024, 13:23   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
By the way, the video is a bit confusing since he is claiming to be driving AX5 but it has drive modes ZIP, ZAP,ZOOM which as far as I know is exclusive to the TGDI. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
I have taken a TD of AX5 AT Petrol, and it did have the drive modes. Not much of a difference between ZIP and ZAP in the city.
Old 18th May 2024, 13:33   #186
BHPian

I have searched YT and other platforms to check the reviews or even look of MX2 Pro (P) AT however none is available. Reviews of MX3, Pro and AX5 are easily available so I assume that M&M is prioritizing the mid and top variants for now. Please share if anyone has got any update on the delivery timeline of the lower variants from the dealership.
Old 18th May 2024, 15:02   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Could it be that Mahindra is actually buying time to iron out the issues related to the TDGI+AT combination (which is seen in AX7 series and also AX5 L) and also the ADAS tuning issues which various reviews have highlighted ? Actually, I hope so ! Don't give to customer half baked product, take your time, but please make the TGDI+AT more driveable in city and fix the ADAS tuning, Mahindra !
I am happy that people are finally paying it some heed. This is a real issue which can affect your buying decision. It's not some small feature that's malfunctioning it's the whole gearbox or rather its tuning. And I cant believe the whole first lot of the 'review army' didn't say a word on this.
M_Poweredd_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2024, 15:33   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcarbie View Post
I have taken a TD of AX5 AT Petrol, and it did have the drive modes. Not much of a difference between ZIP and ZAP in the city.
AX5 manual doesn't have drive modes, it just has steering modes. But, AX5 AT does have drive modes.

No idea why M&M went with this route. Also, in the launch presentation they didn't mention any difference between manual and AT variants' feature distribution but in the brochure they have cleverly mentioned about the drive modes only in the Automatic transmission section.
UltraViolence is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2024, 16:11   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraViolence View Post
AX5 manual doesn't have drive modes, it just has steering modes. But, AX5 AT does have drive modes.

No idea why M&M went with this route. Also, in the launch presentation they didn't mention any difference between manual and AT variants' feature distribution but in the brochure they have cleverly mentioned about the drive modes only in the Automatic transmission section.
I am mostly wrong but I think drive modes are for automatic only. Manual is manual. you can have manual control over how you drive. so how can Manual have automatic modes?
Old 18th May 2024, 17:11   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksavai View Post
I am mostly wrong but I think drive modes are for automatic only. Manual is manual. you can have manual control over how you drive. so how can Manual have automatic modes?
Drive modes aren't just for automatics. These modes change many of the driving parameters' sensitivity which might come in handy in different circumstances. For example, how sensitive is the throttle response, how sharp you need the brakes to be, your steering weight and sensitivity and even engine power output. There are many more parameters which get affected by these modes. And believe me they do change the entire characteristic of a drive if they are integrated properly.

I have these modes in my 700 and even in my bike and the difference is real.
In 700 if you select Zip mode, the engine power gets reduced to just 150 odd bhp and you can extract the best mileage out of it and if you need super fast response, just put it in Zoom mode and it literally transforms into a rocket.
UltraViolence is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2024, 17:41   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evyas View Post
In the same boat here! No confirmation from the dealership other than 'booking has been done sir' and that I would get an email stating the details and delivery date.

Now I'm worried - did I make it to the vaunted first 50000 list or not?!

My math is bad but if 10K units have been made for fast delivery, then we are looking at at least 5-6 months for the remaining 40K at 9000 units per month - and that's just for the first 50000 deliveries..wonder why Mahindra turns every booking of their cars into a version of The Hunger Games
Finally today received official receipt of booking done. Date mentioned is 15th may and booking ID.

I can also see by logging into mahindra website and login from top right icon.

now if they say 10000 cars are ready for 26th may they should start assigning from monday to complete other formalities.

lets see anyone from teambhp get assigned vehicle and which model.
ksavai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2024, 19:39   #192

Has anyone compared both Venue N Line and Mahindra XUV 3x0?
Which one fares better overall? Any suggestions
Old 18th May 2024, 19:54   #193
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Got an invitation to experience the AX7L in person. Here are a few initial observations -

1. Premium interiors and build quality – Have no hesitation to say that this car comes with the best interiors in the sub-4 compact SUV segment and can give a run for the money to the cars in the above segment as well. The moment you sit inside, you know it’s been tastefully done. Piano black finish on the center console, dashboard and door trims gives the much-needed contrast while the all-white interior presents a sense of space and premiumness. But the interiors will be a royal pain to maintain. Within no time, the display car had stains on a few places!

Furthermore, heavy doors and panels alone do not necessarily indicate good build quality, but this car exudes exceptional craftsmanship (almost - more on this in the Dislike section) throughout. All touch points feel durable, and the soft-touch materials on the dashboard and doors are delightful. I wouldn't be surprised if this car, like its predecessor, scores 5 stars in the crash test.

2024 Mahindra XUV 3XO Review-shared-image-17.jpg

2024 Mahindra XUV 3XO Review-shared-image-4.jpg

2024 Mahindra XUV 3XO Review-shared-image-1.jpg

2. Space and super comfortable seats – This car definitely offers the best space in its segment. The legroom is ample, the shoulder room comfortably accommodates three adults, and the headroom is sufficient for anyone under 6 feet tall. No other car in this segment, except possibly the Brezza, provides this much space. The seats are exceptionally soft and comfortable, making you feel pampered as soon as you sit down. However, I am uncertain about their comfort on long drives, as soft seats can sometimes cause discomfort over extended periods.

2024 Mahindra XUV 3XO Review-shared-image-2.jpg

2024 Mahindra XUV 3XO Review-shared-image-15.jpg

3. Commanding seating position – The front seats offer a full view of the bonnet and the surrounding area. The overall visibility is very good. The driver seat has ample height adjustments, making it easy for shorter drivers to find a comfortable driving position. Additionally, the passenger seat is not placed too low, unlike in other cars, which means passengers will also enjoy good visibility all around.

4. Some other goodies – Big glovebox with light and cooling function, EPB with Auto Hold, 17-inch wheels, frameless IRVM etc. are some of the good to have features this car offers.

2024 Mahindra XUV 3XO Review-shared-image-18.jpg

2024 Mahindra XUV 3XO Review-shared-image-14.jpg

2024 Mahindra XUV 3XO Review-shared-image-13.jpg

Dislikes:

1. No ventilated seats and no paddle shifters – Not really sure what Mahindra were thinking when they chose not to include at least the ventilated seats.

2. Speaker system – During our limited time testing the speaker system, it appeared quite ordinary. Competitors offer far superior audio systems, and it seems Mahindra missed an opportunity here. While it might improve with adjustments, my expectations are not high.

3. Restricted rear seat headrest travel – Interestingly, the rear headrests don't extend very high, potentially limiting adjustments for taller passengers. I strongly advise checking this to ensure comfortable seating in the back.

Rear headrest at its lowest height:

2024 Mahindra XUV 3XO Review-shared-image-12.jpg

And at its maximum height. Not a great level of adjustments available:

2024 Mahindra XUV 3XO Review-shared-image-21.jpg

4. Ah, the flaw in its well-crafted interior quality - That exposed screw slot is quite a disappointment. Mahindra should have provided a cover for it. It's a jarring sight in an otherwise premium interior.

2024 Mahindra XUV 3XO Review-shared-image-6.jpg

Neutral:

1. Looks – The car looks quite handsome in person, in fact a lot less quirky than in the videos and pictures. However, it looks smaller than the XUV 300 and may not necessarily have its butch look. Having said that, it’s not a bad looking car at all.

2024 Mahindra XUV 3XO Review-shared-image-8.jpg

2024 Mahindra XUV 3XO Review-shared-image-9.jpg

2024 Mahindra XUV 3XO Review-shared-image-16.jpg

2. Dashboard appearance and Infotainment system – I'm not particularly fond of waterfall-style dashboards, and this one is no different. It still has an old-school look that doesn't quite match the overall premium feel of the car. Additionally, the infotainment system is buggy and lacks smoothness. It's not awful, but there's certainly room for improvement. The competition is offering much better options.

2024 Mahindra XUV 3XO Review-shared-image-5.jpg

3. Skyroof – Although the large glass roof enhances the aesthetics and allows ample light inside, it's not as expansive as a panoramic sunroof (for obvious reasons) and abruptly ends before reaching the rear seating area. This creates a feeling of being neither here nor there. A full-sized panoramic sunroof contributes significantly more to the sense of premiumness.

2024 Mahindra XUV 3XO Review-shared-image-11.jpg

4. White interiors – As much as they look beautiful and premium, maintaining them will be exceptionally challenging. Just glancing at the stains and smudges scattered across them had my heart racing faster than usual.

2024 Mahindra XUV 3XO Review-shared-image-19.jpg

5. Boot space – At the first glance, the boot doesn’t look too big, but I’m certain that it will be able to accommodate healthy amount of luggage. The 60:40 split should help too.

2024 Mahindra XUV 3XO Review-shared-image-20.jpg

Overall, it's a great package. There have been mixed reviews on the TGDi and TC engine and gearbox tuning. Hoping to test drive it soon and share the findings.
Col Mehta is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th May 2024, 19:55   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksavai View Post
I did test drive for AX5 Manual petrol. It has ride modes - Comfort, Normal (or some other name), Sports. I was complaining to my SA during TD on how heave the sterring feels in manual, he affirmed it's normal and only AT has zip, zap, zoom.

After completing with TD and playing with available option, I saw drive modes option and it was quite evident that I accidentally drove manual in sports mode in b2b traffic. The power was good though.
Old 18th May 2024, 23:37   #195
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Long post alert

TL;DR: AX5 Torque Converter AT is the variant of choice if you’re after a decently fast compact petrol hatch with a reasonably strong feature list. The manual version suffers from imperfect ergonomics and noticeable cost cutting measures.

I checked out the 3XO in person at the showroom last evening. I didn't exactly walk in skipping with excitement. That myopic-looking headlamp (first the Scorpio, now this—what’s up with Mahindra?) didn’t exactly tickle my fancy.

We asked for the 1.2 TGDi (as we had shown prior interest in the XUV 300 TurboSport), but the salesperson gave us the regular 1.2 turbo (what Mahindra calls the 1.2 TCMPFI) without even informing us of this switch. But man, this 'regular' little 110 BHP turbocharged gasoline engine put a smile on my face right from the instant I hopped onto the highway, slotted it into second, and floored the gas pedal, all the way to the end of the ride… well, almost.

There were a few major concerns. But just to put it into perspective, the 1.0 VW twins didn’t have me grinning quite as much. The larger displacement of the 3XO helped. I curse VW/Skoda every day for dropping their 1.2 TSI.

2024 Mahindra XUV 3XO Review-img_7264.jpeg

The engine, brakes, and manual transmission combination was an absolute hoot. In my opinion, this is the variant (AX5 1.2 “regular” 110-horsepower turbo) to opt for if you want maximum bang for your buck. Preferably in the Torque Converter AT guise.

The ‘Comfort’ and ‘Normal’ steering modes were plenty for me. ‘Sport’ just gave me an arm workout, which I was already sore from the day before. The speed chime at 80 km/h is probably the best integrated tweety bird system I’ve ever seen in a car under 20 lakhs. It’s non-jarring and behaves exactly as a speed chime should. However, the indicator sound is irksome—even more so than the Slavia I drove just half an hour before (and that’s quite the irony).

But it couldn’t all be starry-eyed love, could it? Nope, the ergonomics were so terrible that it made me drop this car with a slight ache in my chest (although I had dropped the XUV 300 for the very same reasons). The gear knob rattled with a vehemence I hadn’t noticed even in the 300. This is simply not acceptable in a car costing over 15 lakhs. The steering wheel had crude, unfinished plastics cutting into my palms from behind. The seat lacked the under-thigh support I’d have liked (I am 6’2").

The suspension, while acceptably adept at managing speeds, still wasn’t to my liking when handling undulations and vertical movement. Lateral movement, though, was fairly well managed by the car. The seating always felt claustrophobic in the 300, but with the seat cranked up all the way to the top (though at the cost of under-thigh support), it offers a decently commanding stance with all-around visibility. Paired with its compact dimensions, this makes it quite maneuverable.

And the kicker—ABSOLUTELY ZERO space to rest my clutch foot. The clutch was also sharp on the edge, constantly digging into my shoe and ruining it. There’s not even a dead pedal. When I asked, the salesperson shamelessly said, “Saar, in the Automatic variant, you get space there, Saar!” I was quite flummoxed. I had given up on car salesmen as a hopeless bunch long ago.

It’s clear that Mahindra is targeting AT buyers with this car, and I urge enthusiasts to look elsewhere if MT is what they prefer. As for the boot space, the capacity seems to have gone up, but I didn’t really care to check. And irritatingly enough, referring to it as an SUV is an injustice.

To me, the XUV 300/3XO is an almost-perfect product that suffers neglect in key areas due to Mahindra’s ignorance or indifference.

And to wrap up, since someone above asked, from what I remember of the XUV 300 TurboSport MT, the poor ergonomics coupled with the jumpy, high-revving surge of power from the 1.2 TGDi mStallion engine made it annoying to manage within crowded city streets. It’s more of an open highway blaster. I’m guessing it’s the same case here with the 3XO as well.

2024 Mahindra XUV 3XO Review-img_7265.jpeg
2024 Mahindra XUV 3XO Review-img_7270.jpeg

In the end, I was even willing to overlook the shoddy looks up front, but poor ergonomics with less than sorted driving comfort and dynamics are just something I can’t live with.

Oh well! Props to Mahindra for trying. I’d rate it 8.5 out of 12.
TheHelix0202 is online now   (29) Thanks

Most Viewed