Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2024, 18:26   #196

Re: 2024 Kia Sonet Facelift Review

Background:-
I am in market for upgrading baleno CVT. It was great 7 years with that car. My budget is around 15L on road. Mostly mumbai city driving and occasional once a month highway driving.
So looking for petrol and proper automatic.

Shortlisted cars with their +ve and -ve
1. Breeza - don't want to repeat maruti - internally lots of things looks same. got bored over interior
2. Nexon - didn't like overall look, and too common (God knows 3-4 generations and also ev)
3. Venue - looks outdated
4. Sonet HTX model - DCT - ticked most of the boxes - on road price around 14.85 and GTX DCT is one above but have 17.42 which is way beyond my budget and not much of value.
5. XUV 3XO - now with this launch it gave me three options AX5 - 14.43, AX5L - 15.95, AX7 - 16.54

So mainly looking between Sonet and 3XO

now my question is
1. adas is actually useful or we are going to disable it most of the time so no points spending money on that. (ruling out Sonet GTX and 3XO AX5L)
2. your expert view on sonet HTX vs 3XO AX5 (similar price point)
3. AX5 to AX7 is 2L delta. is that worth it? (better engine, Leatherette everything and better speaker)
ksavai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2024, 14:57   #197
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksavai View Post
4. Sonet HTX model - DCT - ticked most of the boxes - on road price around 14.85 and GTX DCT is one above but have 17.42 which is way beyond my budget and not much of value.
5. XUV 3XO - now with this launch it gave me three options AX5 - 14.43, AX5L - 15.95, AX7 - 16.54

So mainly looking between Sonet and 3XO

now my question is
1. adas is actually useful or we are going to disable it most of the time so no points spending money on that. (ruling out Sonet GTX and 3XO AX5L)
2. your expert view on sonet HTX vs 3XO AX5 (similar price point)
3. AX5 to AX7 is 2L delta. is that worth it? (better engine, Leatherette everything and better speaker)
PFB my inline answers-
1) ADAS tuning matters a lot. I have not driven a XUV3xo yet, but I was not impressed with the tuning of XUV700. The adaptive cruise control was very jerky and so was the lane keep assist. At the same time both have been excellent in my Seltos Facelift. I could also adjust the sensitivity of all warnings (audio one's as well as how the ADAS behaves), and I am using the following ADAS functions a lot -Blind view monitor, adaptive cruise, lane keep assist and lane follow assist, rear cross traffic alert. Also Kia has made it very convenient wherein if I keep a certain ADAS feature off, it stays OFF until I turn it ON. It's very cumbersome in other cars like Honda and TATA, where you HAVE to always turn off ADAS features everytime you step in the car. I am not sure of XUV3xo, so do check this bit. Very important since the AEB in traffic situations can be dangerous under sudden braking.

2) Outright acceleration is better in Sonet DCT as it puts down power better than the AT of XUV. In terms of equipment both would be similar.

3) If you are set on XUV, definitely go for the more powerful variant.

I also did a mini comparo between Sonet and XUV, quoting the same below-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
I was comparing the XUV 1.2 TGDI with Sonet and here is what I found.

In terms of pure acceleration, the 0-100 numbers of Sonet are way better despite the power and torque advantage with XUV. I guess it's due to the faster DCT vs the slower AT.
Would be interesting to see their roll on figures.

Attachment 2603211
Attachment 2603212

In terms of features, the Sonet still has better equipment as shown below. However, it will depend on personal choices as some would prefer a bigger sunroof but would let of some other features just for that one thing. Same is true for ventilated seats. I would like a mix of both, wherein the ventilated seats, EPB with Auto Hold, rear sun shades, remote start stop with Key, and bigger sunroof take the cake over other features.
Attachment 2603218

Coming to the interior space, the Sonet is good only for 4 full size adults. The XUV is much better for 5 full size adults. However, the boot size of Sonet in comparison to XUV is cavernous with a much better shape as well.

The interior fit and finish along with the execution of features, the Kia remains better with crisper screen response with absolute 0 lag. The same isn't true with Mahindra as there exist a slight delay with both MID and touchscreen.

In terms of niggles, there have already been a few niggles reported in few reviews wherein the blindspot monitor of XUV had gone kaput as seen below. With the already bad reputation of Mahindra with respect to niggles, we could definitely expect a bit more niggles than the Sonet. Kia has had relatively seldom niggles being reported. That said, I am quite sure the niggles in Mahindra won't be as severe or frequent as seen in new Nexon's.

Attachment 2603210

For people who care about the NCAP ratings, the previous XUV was a 5 star rated car and the new one would surely aim to better that score, whereas the Sonet hasn't yet been rated.

The ride quality of XUV has been raved and rated highly. The Sonet's ride has been improved greatly with the facelift. If someone from Mods who has driven both, could comment on this, it would be great.

The steering feedback for the Sonet has been much better while the XUV's steering feel and feedback has been criticized severely in multiple reviews. This is despite fiddling with the multiple steering modes.

Few qualms I noticed with XUV- There could have been a separate button for drive modes rather than integrating them in touchscreen. Considering the lag, this could cause a serious safety issue while changing the same on the fly. The spare wheel size is dangerously low for increasing boot space just by few litres. Absence of parcel tray to make the boot appear larger is another con for me, considering I do keep small items on parcel tray.

The XUV AX 7 L AT is priced at 18.39L OTR Pune, while Sonet X Line DCT undercuts it at 17.31L.

Considering all above points, I believe the Sonet to be the better all rounder, while XUV is the new no.2 ahead of the Nexon. Nexon fails terribly due to incessant niggles and issues as well as horribly tuned turbo petrol and DCA.

Hope this mini comparo helps.
07CR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th May 2024, 10:51   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksavai View Post

now my question is
So I came across this video by a popular youtuber. The ADAS is not calibrated well. If you are set on 3XO, definitely avoid ADAS variants.

07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2024, 11:50   #199

Hello!

My uncle is looking to get the new Sonet as a replacement for his current drive. We went and checked out the car and came to the conclusion that the HTX Turbo Petrol variant was the most value for money option considering he wants an automatic only. A few points we'd like some help with before we close the deal:

1. Kia is unwilling to provide any discounts on the same whatsoever. The only discount they are providing is on the insurance amount. Is this presently how the scenario is? Absolutely no bargaining?

2. Extended Warranty: It is being offered for an additional price of 20k. Being a DCT model, we're highly favouring to go with it. Opinions?

3. Kia is also offering a maintenance package worth 40k which covers 5 services and additional warranty on some parts. To me, it presently does not make much sense as they would not accommodate prices for changing components due to wear and tear. Should we consider it?

4. Service Costs: Could anyone help us with the service costs associated with the car? Kia says it should be around 5-7k per service, but coming from a Hyundai, my experience has been quite different.

5. Mileage and reliability: Can someone drop their opinions on the Mileage and reliability for the 1.0L DCT Petrol? His daily running in under 10kms and this being his first automatic, he's highly skeptical on the same.
Old 12th May 2024, 14:06   #200
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittleRabbit View Post
Hello!

My uncle is looking to get the new Sonet as a replacement for his current drive. We went and checked out the car and came to the conclusion that the HTX Turbo Petrol variant was the most value for money option considering he wants an automatic only. A few points we'd like some help with before we close the deal:

1. Kia is unwilling to provide any discounts on the same whatsoever. The only discount they are providing is on the insurance amount. Is this presently how the scenario is? Absolutely no bargaining?
Yes, this is the situation accross all kia dealerships, the answer from the sales exec's is "saar this is a new model and hence we are not offering discounts but we will negotiate ok the insurance"

2. The KIA VST yeshwantpur is qouting extended warranty+service package for 45k, yes it is worth buying the extended warranty and service package,your uncle will have a peace of mind and whenever the DCT transmision throws some curve ball,it will be easier on the wallet,"if"

Quote:
5. Mileage and reliability: Can someone drop their opinions on the Mileage and reliability for the 1.0L DCT Petrol? His daily running in under 10kms and this being his first automatic, he's highly skeptical on the same.
you can expect a mileage of around 8-12kmpl within city depending on the traffic, managed to get 15kmpl on the highway

I was in the same boat as your uncle a week ago and finalised the kia sonet htx dct, but then changed my mind and waiting to test ride xuv3x0 and book it
fearswag16 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2024, 16:49   #201
BHPian

And the winner is Kia Sonet!
After a long search mine just ended on Kia Sonet HTX iMT T-GDI
Replacing the humble Tiago.
Attached Thumbnails
2024 Kia Sonet Facelift Review-kia-sonet.jpeg  

2024 Kia Sonet Facelift Review-kia-sonet-2.jpeg  

ank_bhp is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 11:27   #202
BHPian

BHPians , any initial impressions of the Sonet 7DCT or the D AT.

I'm sure many must have already got hands on their rides and probably must have covered decent miles.

Just wanted to know how are these BS6 Ph-2 tuned turbo DCT and D AT engines showing up.

Also, quick inputs on the ride / suspension would be great!
Old 22nd May 2024, 14:59   #203
BHPian

I have had the FL Sonet for 3.5 months now, and it is a wonderful car. However as any Turbo car, the mileage will be bad in city, but on highway or a stretch of traffic free roads, it is a fantastic car, very comfortable.
However if you are getting HTX variant of DCT, you will not get a rear wiper, not sure why manufacturers don't provide such an important one, defogger is there to help but with heavy rains with already compromized visibility that is a miss.

But overall the engine, gearbox and suspension is perfect for highway but for city a little stiff (no deal breaker).
m2maddy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 21:20   #204
BHPian

Folks last 2 days what I see is sometimes wiper fluid doesn't come on at all, suddenly later it works, it has happened again today where the wiper fluid came and then nada, it didn't work at all whole day, anyone know why this can happen or what could be the reason? Fluid was filled completely with water and solution 3 days back.
Old 27th May 2024, 16:24   #205

Quote:
Hello!

2. Extended Warranty: It is being offered for an additional price of 20k. Being a DCT model, we're highly favouring to go with it. Opinions?

3. Kia is also offering a maintenance package worth 40k which covers 5 services and additional warranty on some parts. To me, it presently does not make much sense as they would not accommodate prices for changing components due to wear and tear. Should we consider it?

4. Service Costs: Could anyone help us with the service costs associated with the car? Kia says it should be around 5-7k per service, but coming from a Hyundai, my experience has been quite different.

I purchased KIA Sonet HTX iMT 1.0L Turbo Petrol in March 2024. Took delivery in 1st week of April 2024. My earlier car was Zen Estillo 2010 model. Used it for 14 years. I need Gear Control but want rest to my left leg. Hence iMT was perfect for me.

1. Yes same here. No discounts / bargaining. I gave them an external Insurance quote which was way below what they quoted. Then they reduced their Insurance to match the quote I had given them.

2. I only took Extended Warrantee.

3. May be for DCT you can take both Extended and Maintenance.

4. On net too I have read that Service cost is very less in the segment. I have just finished my 1st Service (1 Month / 1000 kms). First three Service are free (Labour cost free). Will come to know during 2nd Service actual cost (1 Year / 10000 kms).

5. My iMT was initially giving me in city traffic 9-10 kms mileage. But after first service and I getting used to iMT for one month, now I get 10-11 kms mileage in City traffic. On highways I got 15 - 18 kms mileage.

Very happy with my purchase of Kia Sonet. Perfect car for a family.
Old 27th May 2024, 16:51   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I own a July 2021 Sonet HTX iMT Turbo Petrol. Recently completed 20K kms. PFB my inline answers-
  1. I purchased a Seltos FL in Dec 2023. There were no discounts whatsoever on the car. Guess you could try pitting two or more dealers against one another to get the best deal possible.
  2. Go for the Extended warranty, definitely.
  3. I had option of similar maintenance package for the Seltos. To me it did not make much sense, hence I did not take it.
  4. You are right with service costs. My third year paid service costed me 5.2K.
  5. I get about 13-14 Kmpl in moderate Pune traffic. If I drive very cautiously, it even returns 17-18 Kmpl on low traffic roads. You could deduct about 1 KMPL since its a DCT. Reliability wise its been a fill it, shut it, forget it experience for me. Same with 6 month old DCT Seltos. (Touchwood !)
Old 27th May 2024, 22:49   #207
BHPian

Been over a month since we got home Olive Oyl to replace the aged Opel Corsa Sail. We went through multiple test drives of the Amaze, City and my sister almost lost her heart to the Elevate. The Amaze was genuinely disappointing and the family did not want another City in the garage even though I was in favour. Thinking practically, we were zeroing in on the Hyundai Exter considering the sheer value she offered.

Now the Exter AMT is a very impressive and practical car for the price but the user experience, ride quality and looks left us half baked on the decision. We were tempted by the Elevate CVT but it was a lot more money than our budget, mid models were a bit spartan on specs and we frankly dint need the extra space it offered over a Venue or Exter.

I was thinking of the Venue when the facelifted Sonet arrived on the scene and we were suddenly very sure that this was it. We already have a Carnival in the family so Kia was a known entity from an ownership PoV.

After multiple test drives and negotiations with the Dehradun dealer Shubh Kia, we finally decided to book the Pewter Olive HTX DCT version. The folks at Shubh Kia are quite helpful throughout but they need to up their game on certain loose ends on the experience. That aside, we got Olive Oyl home with the usual fanfare (I am still not a fan of the giant key and cake ceremonies) to join my OHC 1.5.
The Sonet is mainly going to be driven by my mother who is quite an avid driver and loves herself a peppy engine (thanks to her OHC and Corsa 1.6). So the 1.0 lit DCT is a juicy little combo which has the right amount of pep. The higher ground clearance and the lovely creature comforts & interiors just made the whole experience quite elevated for us (pun intended). We took Extended warranty, some tasteful accessories and got a good deal on insurance bringing it to about 14.x OTR in Doon. I wonder though why the EW from Kia is only upto 5 years while Hyundai is more liberal with 7 for the Venue.

What I like:
- Good strong peppy motor with a capable gearbox. Paddle shifter and power modes make it a fun car on highways and in the city. Eco mode is strictly for traffic jams.
- Very well appointed interiors and build quality. Materials feel better than most in class. Infact the whole car feels like its punching above its weight.
- Feature loaded cabin with slick UX and ventilated seats are a boon.
- Ride quality is very nice even with four adults in
- The FE is better than what I expected. My other cars in the garage arent really frugal either
- The boot space is very decent for a family trip
- Light steering and good visibility around makes this easy to park and manoeuvre for all types of drivers
- The Olive colour looks beautiful. Its still a bit rare on the streets and with the connected tail lamp and the LEDs up front the car has good road presence.

What can be better:
- HTX comes with smart looking wheel caps. Alloys would have made me feel nicer about spending this much money.
- Rear washer wiper is such a sore omission. Its a very handy aid specially in the monsoons. I would have happily sacrificed that sunroof in lieu if I had an option.
- Stock LED headlamp setup is glitzy and nice but the beam throw and spread is not best in class.
- A lot has been said about it already but the rear seat space is a sore point. The seat bench is comfy though.
- Our car came with MRF tyres (some come with Apollo), luck of draw really. They are strictly ok and if I was the primary user would have swapped them out for Contis or Michelins
- Kia’s operations in Doon are good but not at Hyundai’s level. The need to up their sales and service game.

Overall I am very happy with the choice we made. The Exter, City and Elevate are all excellent cars and offer a lot of value but the Sonet was just right for our requirements and budget.
Attached Thumbnails
2024 Kia Sonet Facelift Review-img_3450.jpeg  

2024 Kia Sonet Facelift Review-082bc950d47e438883ff39efb29b7ce0.jpeg  

2024 Kia Sonet Facelift Review-img_3461.jpeg  

2024 Kia Sonet Facelift Review-img_3462.jpeg  

narula123 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 30th May 2024, 10:56   #208

Hello everyone, I purchased Kia Sonet HTX Diesel Manual on Feb 24. Since the HTX Model does not come with Alloy wheels by default, I have changed it to GT Line alloys (All 5 wheels including the spare wheel) through KIA service center. My doubt is, if we can add TPMS in the fifth wheel, that will remain as spare wheel and while we do tyre rotation during service, the spare wheel can be swapped and if the sensor will pair and will not interfere with the other tyres TPMS.

Thank you for your time and response.
Old 30th May 2024, 14:55   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonetrider24 View Post
Hello everyone, I purchased Kia Sonet HTX Diesel Manual on Feb 24. Since the HTX Model does not come with Alloy wheels by default, I have changed it to GT Line alloys (All 5 wheels including the spare wheel) through KIA service center. My doubt is, if we can add TPMS in the fifth wheel, that will remain as spare wheel and while we do tyre rotation during service, the spare wheel can be swapped and if the sensor will pair and will not interfere with the other tyres TPMS.
Just the query I was looking for!

Could you please share the price you paid for this?

Did they also change the valves of the tires , or you carried forward the same valves from the existing rims?

Did you exchange the existing rims + wheel overs at Kia dealer itself? And if yes , how much did they fetch you?

I have got the following quote from a local dealer -

2024 Kia Sonet Facelift Review-whatsapp-image-20240530-2.53.02-pm.jpeg
Old 30th May 2024, 16:44   #210

Sonet desperately needs DCT petrol version in middle.

There are just two options HTX and GTX and price difference is around 3L.

They can easily get HTX+ model with upgraded infotainment and alloy wheels which makes it good value for money

Last edited by graaja : 30th May 2024 at 16:49. Reason: Minor typo
ksavai is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks