Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2024, 13:20   #841
BHPian

Re: 2023 Tata Safari Facelift Review

Hello Respected Friends,
I have a Feb.24 Safari Accomplished + run 4k kms. There seems to be some issue with the brakes of the car.
During city rides, as the speeds are itself not over 50-60kph , the brake performance is satisfactory , and sometime I feel the brake pedal play is more deep, infact deeper than other cars I drive.
But the real issue is at highway speeds that I recently experianced. At about 90-100kph , due to some obstruction, I had to apply sudden brakes. This was really scary, as the car though slowed down , the braking bite was not in accordance with the force that I applied. It was as though the brake pedal and the actual braking effect were not working as one complete system.
I wish to take the car for its second service and get the brakes checked. It would be extremely helpful if the esteemed forum members can guide me on what all to get checked, as I have already heard too many stories about the service centres and their technical knowledge and I do not want to take many chances with them. Having some guidance beforehand will be deeply appreciated.

Thanks
Old 25th August 2024, 18:51   #842
BHPian

As a PSA to all future owners and those who have booked the car and to those who already have it and are expecting Lane Keep Assist because the Curvv is getting launched with LKA enabled :

The LKA button on the Safari has been removed. The right bottom button on the steering wheel is now empty.

Mine is a Accomplished + Manual Variant and I assumed it might be absent just like ACC (which is restricted only to the ATs for obvious reasons). However, there is no mention of the feature in the manual provided to me either.

We took delivery last Friday and the plates/Fastag/mudflaps are yet to come. I have a long post that I've mentally typed up in my head. Will post everything once I am through with the dealer and have everything done, so that I can give a more complete picture.

My car also has the boot gap issue and a bonnet gap issue. PSA to all those who are yet to do a PDI, please do it well and read the entire thread and write down every issue and check those, you are bound to get atleast 10%.

Also an update on the boot not opening via the keyfob: It was resolved immediately with some absolute "salesman justification" as to why it didn't work and how it works now. More in the full post that I'll post in the coming days.

A huge thank you to everyone on this thread for pointing out issues faced in your vehicles and especially to bhaskaracs, who might not realise it, but gave me confidence in buying a Tata product with a well thought out DM.

Thank you all.!!!

EDIT - The car with 3 horizontal lines is for setting ACC gap. Since my vehicle is a manual, the button doesn't exist, which is expected. However, there is no mention of the other button on the bottom left. Also the manual doesn't contain details about LKA, but maybe Tata didn't want to give information about a product before they were able to fine tune it. Please do not mind the post below. I understood the review post wrong. My deepest apologies for trying to give a heart-attack to everyone

Please read post 845.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th September 2024 at 22:35. Reason: As requested
alphamike_1612 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2024, 21:12   #843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VedAvNi View Post
Nope, I’m chasing both the Tata TSM and dealer for the same. Vehicle is still at the plant as they are waiting for more vehicles (~6-7) to be allotted so that the trailer can be dispatched at full load.
How about you? Any date in sight?
Nope, nothing. Got the allocation on Friday only so will check with them tomorrow. Also, the dealer mentioned it usually takes 3-4 days for the vehicle to reach their stockyard after the allocation. Guess being in Mumbai helps since the plant is in Pune. Hoping against hope I get it within this month( which the dealer promised he would, at the time of booking). But we all know about the commitments made by dealers!
Old 26th August 2024, 00:36   #844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamike_1612 View Post
As a PSA to all future owners and those who have booked the car and to those who already have it and are expecting Lane Keep Assist because the Curvv is getting launched with LKA enabled :

The LKA button on the Safari has been removed.
I have been waiting for the LKA feature in the Safari since my purchase, and I was really keen on using it for my upcoming road trip.

This is an unethical move by Tata, and they can be sued right?
Promising something, making the customers wait for 1 year and then silently removing the feature from newer models and not providing it for older models too.

If the 20L Curvv can get LKA, why not the 33L Safari. And since the technology has already been developed and is launched with the Curvv, what's the problem in rolling out a software update for the Safari?

Does anyone know the reason behind this?

Quote:
The right bottom button on the steering wheel is now empty.
The LKA is the bottom left button on the right side. And the bottom right is another button which I still don't know the use of. Are you sure you are talking about the LKA button?

And what does the bottom right side button do anyways?

Last edited by Sphere : 26th August 2024 at 00:40. Reason: Clarity over left and right button
Sphere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2024, 07:12   #845
BHPian

EDIT - The car with 3 horizontal lines is for setting ACC gap. Since my vehicle is a manual, the button doesn't exist, which is expected. However, there is no mention of the other button on the bottom left. Also the manual doesn't contain details about LKA, but maybe Tata didn't want to give information about a product before they were able to fine tune it. Please do not mind the post below. I understood the review post wrong. My deepest apologies for trying to give a heart-attack to everyone.

2023 Tata Safari Facelift Review-20240826_073724.jpg
2023 Tata Safari Facelift Review-20240826_073529.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphere View Post
The LKA is the bottom left button on the right side. And the bottom right is another button which I still don't know the use of. Are you sure you are talking about the LKA button?

And what does the bottom right side button do anyways?
Quoting from the official T-BHP review:
Quote:
The buttons on the left are for telephone controls and voice commands, while the ones on the right are for the MID and adaptive cruise control. There’s also a lane keep assist button on the right bottom which is not active yet. Tata is still in the final stages of fine-tuning the system and will probably introduce it next year. Alignment of the display screen was slightly better on our test car:
As seen on the official review's photo of the wheel just below the quoted portion, I believe the button on the left (steering wheel within 2 lines) is for Lane Departure warning and the button on the right (car with 3 horizontal lines) is for Lane Keep Assist. I may be wrong however and am happy to be educated.

In my vehicle, the button for car with 3 horizontal lines doesn't exist.

I'll post a picture in some time.

Cheers.

Last edited by alphamike_1612 : 26th August 2024 at 07:39. Reason: Added a Edit paragraph
alphamike_1612 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2024, 09:45   #846
BHPian

Quote:
As seen on the official review's photo of the wheel just below the quoted portion, I believe the button on the left (steering wheel within 2 lines) is for Lane Departure warning and the button on the right (car with 3 horizontal lines) is for Lane Keep Assist. I may be wrong however and am happy to be educated.

In my vehicle, the button for car with 3 horizontal lines doesn't exist.
Cheers.
Congratulations on getting your new Safari

You can checkout steering of Harrier manual transmission which was reviewed here (2023 Tata Harrier Facelift Review)

Lane keep assist (steering right side, bottom left button) button should be present in Manual transmission too.
Safari automatic vs Harrier manual steering comparison
2023 Tata Safari Facelift Review-oip.jpeg

Steering images from official team-bhp reviews
Can you help with some of questions below for manual transmission
1) Is the manual clunky in Safari?
2) How is the response of manual transmission at slow city speeds under 20 kmph?
3) Do you need to constantly shift between 1st and 2nd gear in heavy traffic conditions where speed varies between 10kmph to 20kmph?
4) How smooth are the gear shifts when you start your car first time in the day?
5) Can you post a picture of your Safari manual steering?
kgt.v8 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2024, 11:38   #847
BHPian

The safari has started to show issues and one after the other errors are showing up. Anyone else facing these?

2023 Tata Safari Facelift Review-gv4tmcqbaaeecmy.jpg

2023 Tata Safari Facelift Review-gv4tmcrboaate93.jpg

2023 Tata Safari Facelift Review-gv4tmdfw4aabhvc.jpg

Also lane keep assist was advertised as a feature and if now they are not enabling it now then it comes under false advertising as per Consumer protection act 2019 Section 89.
Old 26th August 2024, 11:45   #848
BHPian

Thank you kgt.v8. As pointed out, I confused myself between LKA and ACC.

To your questions,

I'm coming from a Honda W-RV and Alto 800. Both have short (or what I call normal) clutch travel and hence my answers might be skewed. Also, driving it for a few more days might change my opinion. Also to note, I have mostly been driving inside the city and never on highways.

1. To an extent yes, I have stalled the vehicle multiple times the first day when trying to start from stop-go traffic. Embarrassing since it's been several years since the last time this has happened. While this dropped to only once the 2nd/3rd day, it still did happen occasionally.

2. The first gear is extremely short. While starting from a stop, the 1st gear is good until 10-15kmph before the roar of the engine becomes audible inside the cabin and you are reminded to change into 2nd. While moving in stop go traffic and speeds are less than 10kmph, dropping into 1st visibly engages some engine braking and I'm not able to explain why this happens.

I hope this is what you meant by response of the system.

3. Yes the frequency of shifting from 1st to 2nd in stop-go traffic is extremely high. Usually I would start right from 2nd, but since this is a new Vehicle with a long clutch I'm not really comfortable doing that now. Will probably learn as the days go by. As mentioned earlier shifting into 1 when less than 10kmph engages some engine braking and I can't explain why.

4. Haven't observed anything out of the ordinary but again wasn't searching for it. Will check once again and report here.

5. Will ask mods to update this when I take the picture, but it looks awfully similar/exactly like the Harrier manual that you have posted.

Also since I have talked about the manual transmission,

Those who are planning to get the manual DONT. Unless you simply can't live without a manual, like my father who refuses to drive an automatic, just don't.

1. The travel is long.
2. There is no dead pedal.
3. The clutch is hard.
4. I ended up with left knee pain after driving for 3 days inside the city. (some 100 kms odd) (I'm also a heavy individual, so that might play a factor in the pain)
5. The numerous shifts from 1st to 2nd and back and the embarrassing stall due to clutch being long is simply not worth it.

Also a quirk of the auto hold feature, it'll disengage when you press in or let go of the clutch. I found this out the hard way when I was on an incline and when the signal turned green, I pressed the clutch in to shift to 1 and wait for movement ahead of me, when suddenly the vehicle started to roll backward (no accelerator input was given). There was space and hence nothing was damaged but it was a quick lesson.

Similarly when rolling to a stop, I press the brake, stop the vehicle (at this point auto hold gets engaged), take my foot off the brake and then shift the car to neutral and take my foot off the clutch (this disengages the auto hold).

A work around I have developed is to stop the vehicle as above, keep my foot on the brake, shift the vehicle into neutral, remove my foot from the clutch and then pump the brakes again for auto hold to take effect.

Last edited by alphamike_1612 : 26th August 2024 at 11:53.
alphamike_1612 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2024, 13:29   #849
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you kgt.v8. As pointed out, I confused myself between LKA and ACC.

To your questions,

I'm coming from a Honda W-RV and Alto 800. Both have short (or what I call normal) clutch travel and hence my answers might be skewed. Also, driving it for a few more days might change my opinion. Also to note, I have mostly been driving inside the city and never on highways.

1. To an extent yes, I have stalled the vehicle multiple times the first day when trying to start from stop-go traffic. Embarrassing since it's been several years since the last time this has happened. While this dropped to only once the 2nd/3rd day, it still did happen occasionally.

2. The first gear is extremely short. While starting from a stop, the 1st gear is good until 10-15kmph before the roar of the engine becomes audible inside the cabin and you are reminded to change into 2nd. While moving in stop go traffic and speeds are less than 10kmph, dropping into 1st visibly engages some engine braking and I'm not able to explain why this happens.

I hope this is what you meant by response of the system.

3. Yes the frequency of shifting from 1st to 2nd in stop-go traffic is extremely high. Usually I would start right from 2nd, but since this is a new Vehicle with a long clutch I'm not really comfortable doing that now. Will probably learn as the days go by. As mentioned earlier shifting into 1 when less than 10kmph engages some engine braking and I can't explain why.

4. Haven't observed anything out of the ordinary but again wasn't searching for it. Will check once again and report here.

5. Will ask mods to update this when I take the picture, but it looks awfully similar/exactly like the Harrier manual that you have posted.

Also since I have talked about the manual transmission,

Those who are planning to get the manual DONT. Unless you simply can't live without a manual, like my father who refuses to drive an automatic, just don't.

1. The travel is long.
2. There is no dead pedal.
3. The clutch is hard.
4. I ended up with left knee pain after driving for 3 days inside the city. (some 100 kms odd) (I'm also a heavy individual, so that might play a factor in the pain)
5. The numerous shifts from 1st to 2nd and back and the embarrassing stall due to clutch being long is simply not worth it.

Also a quirk of the auto hold feature, it'll disengage when you press in or let go of the clutch. I found this out the hard way when I was on an incline and when the signal turned green, I pressed the clutch in to shift to 1 and wait for movement ahead of me, when suddenly the vehicle started to roll backward (no accelerator input was given). There was space and hence nothing was damaged but it was a quick lesson.

Similarly when rolling to a stop, I press the brake, stop the vehicle (at this point auto hold gets engaged), take my foot off the brake and then shift the car to neutral and take my foot off the clutch (this disengages the auto hold).

A work around I have developed is to stop the vehicle as above, keep my foot on the brake, shift the vehicle into neutral, remove my foot from the clutch and then pump the brakes again for auto hold to take effect.
I have completed 5000km in two months of ownership, with a manual transmission.
1. Bite point of clutch is very deep down, quite different from other cars, so it takes some getting used to.
Initially I stalled the vehicle very frequently and found that it was better to drive in traffic in highest power delivery mode as it helped avoid the stalling .
But now I have developed muscle memory for the bite point and easily drive around in normal city or eco mode and very frequently picking up in 2nd gear ( not that i would recommend it ) . You just have to linger in and around the bite point of clutch and everything will be smooth.
2. First gear is good for 20-25 if you don't hate engine noise and is quite usable in heavy stop go traffic. Absolutely no problems with keeping the vehicle in 1st.
3. Clutch is not hard at all, hard and soft is relative to one's experience and expectations. Every fit enough individual who has put some miles on his legs in life will be fine.
4. Manual gives much better acceleration & deceleration control and overall feel. Gear shift is soft with short enough throw. Also manual transmission converts your driving habits into economy /FE really well, unlike automatic. I am generally good at extracting FE from cars just because of how I drive, Even in Honda Civic automatic, I usually got 14-15 kmpl on regular basis in mixed driving. This being a diesel is usually hovering around 16-19kmpl, worst being 12 in party mode.
Alka panwar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2024, 00:03   #850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashankw839 View Post
The safari has started to show issues and one after the other errors are showing up. Anyone else facing these?
The memory seats failure is a very common issue. The car refuses to adjust the seat when moving. So either adjust the seat yourself or stop the car, or on a signal, use the memory function.

I think it's for safety reasons that the seat won't move while the car is moving.

Also do you have any garland of flowers or is the number plate blocking the ADAS sensor? Because it's the FCW and AEB warning light. Do check

Last edited by Sphere : 27th August 2024 at 00:05.
Old 27th August 2024, 21:57   #851

Hello guys
I am new and this is my first post here. I booked my Accomplished plus 7 seater DT AT Cosmic Gold 3 weeks back and received the Chassis number yesterday! Eagerly waiting for dispatch.
Was promised delivery in 2 weeks, Sales representative and TSM kept pushing the date and seemed very ineffective. They kept offering me 6 seater/MT/ alternate colour but I didn't budge. I had to write an email to MD office and Zonal head who acted promptly and I got the Chassis number.
I am going to take the delivery in Ranchi and drive the car to Goa the next day.
Looking for advice on any precautions that I must take on this drive and also looking for suggestions on route to follow/condition of road.
Thanks in advance!
Old 27th August 2024, 22:06   #852
BHPian

Can attest that the memory failure error occurs when you select 2 seat settings in quick succession without letting the seat complete the first setting.

I need some help on the following issues and if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful:

1. Rear licence plate light not working - Placed the stalk in auto headlight/manual headlight/position lamps only, but in all conditions, the light doesn't work.

2. Similarly, the interior mood lights work in the front driver door pocket (the storage area) but not in any of the other 3 doors (both rear doors and front passenger door)

3. None of the smaller interior lights work. Lights such as the power window switches, boss mode switches, charging socket legends and the 12V socket light inside the chilled armrest box.

Edit - The Tata Assist/SOS buttons are also not illuminated at night. (Forgot to add this to the original post)

4. Reset the trip meter but still get an FE of 8 km/L only. Don't know if this is my driving style or because of a glitch.

My vehicle is an Accomplished + MT.

Regarding the MT, I believe my opinions will change as I make myself more familiar with the vehicle. The roar of the engine is a sweet thing to hear that is missed in the AT.

Thank you all.

Last edited by alphamike_1612 : 27th August 2024 at 22:34. Reason: Added another error
Old 27th August 2024, 22:18   #853

Quote:
4. Reset the trip meter but still get an FE of 8 km/L only. Don't know if this is my driving style or because of a glitch.
I think the TATA guys imagined they would be getting a minimum of 8 km/L in all the instances even in the worst case, which is utterly wrong.
I got a mileage of less than 7 km/L in many cases, but still, the FE shows 8 km/L, which is very misleading.
Hope they hear this and try to address it in the next s/w update.
Old 27th August 2024, 22:20   #854
BHPian

Quote:
Can attest that the memory failure error occurs when you select 2 seat settings in quick succession without letting the seat complete the first setting.

I need some help on the following issues and if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful:

1. Rear licence plate light not working - Placed the stalk in auto headlight/manual headlight/position lamps only, but in all conditions, the light doesn't work.

2. Similarly, the interior mood lights work in the front driver door pocket (the storage area) but not in any of the other 3 doors (both rear doors and front passenger door)

3. None of the smaller interior lights work. Lights such as the power window switches, boss mode switches, charging socket legends and the 12V socket light inside the chilled armrest box.

My vehicle is an Accomplished + MT.

Regarding the MT, I believe my opinions will change as I make myself more familiar with the vehicle. The roar of the engine is a sweet thing to hear that is missed in the AT.

Thank you all.
Wow! Not very confidence inspiring considering I’m awaiting delivery of my Safari soon! I was hoping with these latest batches the niggles would’ve been ironed out, but alas!
Old 28th August 2024, 10:18   #855
BHPian

Adding to the list of woes -

Rust on the steering shaft.

2023 Tata Safari Facelift Review-20240828_093147.jpg

Was peering into the engine bay today with a torch and this brown caught my eyes.

There was rust on a few washers during PDI which the dealer said was just surface rust and didn't matter.

2023 Tata Safari Facelift Review-20240828_093137reduced-size.jpg

I wonder how TaMo allows these cars to pass through PDI or is this similar across all manufacturers and I'm just freaking out?. Mine has a sticker that says passed PDI on 31st July 2024.

The car otherwise seems to be good. I'm now giving guarded responses because I don't know what else will fail. Haven't had any critical ADAS errors or anything else. (But I've been driving through the city only and haven't hit triple digit speeds or even high 2 digit speeds for that matter.)

I have been looking at this entire episode through a shaded lens (That QC at Tata is poor) and this is making me paranoid.

My biggest regret here is that it is not my money, but my father's 30 large ones that have been used to pay for this soleley based on my recommendations.

Reached out to my sales advisor to whom I've highlighted all these issues. (The lights, panel gaps and the rust). He told me has reached out to his team and will update me at the earliest. Hoping this is resolved easily and doesn't prolong.

Edit - I'm also cursing myself for not involving a 3rd party PDI. I spent nearly an hour with the vehicle and checked stuff like whether the USB ports worked, but didn't check whether the lights inside the cabin were glowing or not. I also was not able to see the rust on the steering shaft.

Last edited by alphamike_1612 : 28th August 2024 at 10:41. Reason: Added a few points

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks