Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2024, 15:56   #376
vdi
BHPian

Re: 2023 Tata Safari Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphere View Post
@cityscrambler
You kind of look like Shantanu Naidu, Ratan Tata sir's Gen-Z right hand. Is that you or am I confused?

I just saw your video on YouTube where you review your Safari.
Yes it's Shantanu Naidu.

Check this out.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ta-safari.html (Mr. Ratan Tata with my 2023 Tata Safari)
vdi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2024, 17:50   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Yes it's Shantanu Naidu.

Check this out.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ta-safari.html (Mr. Ratan Tata with my 2023 Tata Safari)
Thank you for the link. It is a really interesting thread.

Quote:
Also is there anyone in Mumbai with a facelift that wants to meet up I would love to hang with some fellow owners!
This would be a lovely opportunity. I really wanted to meet you since I first read about you and your work in the animal welfare industry.
I'll DM you regarding this and it would be great if you give me some time.

I stay in Pune but I am ready to head over to Mumbai anytime.
Just a few days more since I have not yet received my Safari.
Sphere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2024, 22:53   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityscrambler View Post
Hello fellow car folk

1. Has anyone ever considered a stage 1 ECU remap for a Safari or a similar car. It has enough power at its disposal but Im just curious. I would like a bit of a rumble with a new filter and an ECE remap. Wont be a big sound change but subtle enough for me to know. However I believe this voids your warranty or they reset it to default during service.
When engine maps are written, the engineers focus on a compromise between power, efficiency, reliability and pollution. As with all turbo charged cars, you can tweak the values to heavily favour power / mileage but at the expense of the others. If there was a map to improve all 4 at the same time, then your car would already have that map from the factory.

The safari/harrier uses the same 2.0L fiat diesel engine as the jeep compass and people have had decent results tuning that engine : https://www.team-bhp.com/news/my-jee...olf-moto-remap

Do note that air filters aren't going to change the sound all that much and it's best not to screw around with them in otherwise stock cars since OEMs already squeeze every little bit of them that they can. The ones that change the sound are actually reducing the airflow and will lead to less power and efficiency.

What would be perfect for your requirements is a new exhaust. A good set of pipes that is designed by a decent company and isn't just a "loud-encer". This can make your car sound way better and will often also make it more efficient by reducing backpressure.

Also, if you are changing hardware components, make sure to get a custom remap after to teach the ECU how to use them properly. Not getting an ecu remap after hardware modifications will often lead to a check engine light as the computer is confused as to why the sensor readings are now different from what was programmed as normal range.

The price being charged for the remap is for creating a good custom map for you. Even if the service center flashes it back to normal (they generally won't even check unless there is an urgent update being pushed by the OEM like after the audi diesel gate scandal), you can just go back to the tuner and have them flash it for you again. Since the remap was already created, it is as simple as copying them back which doesn't cost anything.

Also considering who you are, I doubt anyone would void the warranty for you anyway for something as small as a remap.

Quote:
3. Any experts here on whether spacers enough to make the tires flush with the body (and not beyond) will have any impact on performance? It would not be less than 10-15 mm I checked the specs. Same question about all terrain tires.
Spacers won't really have an impact on performance. It will however lead to increased stress on the wheel bearings and suspension components due to increased mechanical leverage.

2023 Tata Safari Facelift Review-3006320_orig.jpg

Remember, the longer the length of the arm, the more leverage it exerts. In this case, it will be the tyres since they will sit further out on the axle.

Quote:
4. The safari has white cabin lights and I miss yellow. White makes it quite depressing inside.
If they are designed to be replaceable, you can swap them for some warmer colour LEDs. Just check the user manual for what kind of bulb they use.
Cresterk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2024, 12:24   #379

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
When engine maps are written, the engineers focus on a compromise between power, efficiency, reliability and pollution. As with all turbo charged cars, you can tweak the values to heavily favour power / mileage but at the expense of the others. If there was a map to improve all 4 at the same time, then your car would already have that map from the factory.
Thank you SO MUCH for this exhaustive response!

I might just go for a stage 1 remap + filter. Although I understand any notable sound changes happen with the pipes, there are too many scary stories out there about disasters around pipe and layout changes.

The safari has a very VERY good suspension setup right now. Wear on the suspension is understandable on the spacers but would that lead to an increased/faster deterioration or would it reduce the overall quality of suspension as of today or both?

Good to know about the remap option being that easy should they update it during service.

Once again thank you for answering!

Last edited by vb-saan : 20th January 2024 at 11:02. Reason: Please avoid quoting a full long post. Thank you!
cityscrambler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2024, 00:22   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
Hi All,
1. How has your ownership experience been so far? Any issues? While I absolutely love the Safari, recent articles on niggles/issues cropping up in new vehicles (such as rear light bar not working, speedometer getting stuck on 0 etc) are making me a bit jittery specially considering the price which the new Safari is commanding.
My experience has been very good so far in spite of the niggles. They are so few and far between that it does not bother much. I have come to this understanding that modern cars are mechanical products with a heavy dependence on digital HW and software and it is too difficult to perfect them in the first iteration. This is the reason why almost all modern cars in this segment carry niggles. Again, I am not defending the manufacturers. Just saying that I have convinced myself with this line of reasoning.

Quote:
2. Are you able to remote start/stop the vehicle using the IRA app? I have seen some contradictory videos/articles online.
Yes. Would say that it works 9/10 times.

Quote:
3. Were you able to negotiate any discount/offers from your dealers? My dealer is ready to market-match the insurance quote and probably offer some discount on the accessories but nothing more than that.
No discounts on the car. Got a very good discount on Insurance from my dealer (Kropex Hosur road, Bangalore). They reduced it from 1.55 lakhs to 1.12 lakh (Zero dep with all necessary protection that I expected).

Quote:
4. Regarding the accessories, what all did you purchase from the dealer? I am keen on getting good fitting mats if the same are available at the dealer. Other than the dealer accessories, I have come across a very premium metal key cover on Amazon which I will be going for.
I just got the 3D mats from Dealer. They are not a perfect fit as I suspect they are meant for the old Safari. Looks like Tata is yet to manufacture accessories for the new Safari.

Quote:
5. While I will be doing a PDI (myself and through a third-party aggregator), anything in particular to look out for?
Nothing in particular. Use TBHP's checklist. All the best!
Thinking_Slow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 11:44   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking_Slow View Post
My experience has been very good so far in spite of the niggles. They are so few and far between that it does not bother much. I have come to this understanding that modern cars are mechanical products with a heavy dependence on digital HW and software and it is too difficult to perfect them in the first iteration. This is the reason why almost all modern cars in this segment carry niggles. Again, I am not defending the manufacturers. Just saying that I have convinced myself with this line of reasoning.
Thanks a ton! Will update this thread once I get the delivery.

One follow up question, I remember initially Tata had not enabled lank keep assist and it was supposed to be enabled later via a software update. Has the same now been enabled?

Best,
Enigmatic
Old 22nd January 2024, 12:31   #382
BHPian

I'm not aware. Such updates will need software download at a service center. My first free service is due on Thursday. Will check with the service folks on that day.
Thinking_Slow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 08:36   #383
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Man, the kind of cars you get today for 30-lakhs! I reiterate, 30–40 lakhs is truly all that one needs to spend on a car today. Anything above is driven purely by desire, want, greed or the lure of badges. Today’s 30-40 lakh cars offer all you need in terms of styling, space, comfort, features, safety, power etc. There is a reason why sales in the 25-40 lakh segment have exploded, while luxury brands have seen unimpressive growth over the last 10 years.

I took the Safari Facelift to a fabulous property literally in the middle of nowhere! The roads were so broken, there was no way a sedan could make it here. Enjoyed my 5 days with the Tata Safari in Bombay & on the road-trip.

What’s Hot: The drop-dead gorgeous styling (I find myself going to the parked car, just to admire its beauty), electric power steering (big improvement over HPS – light in the city & then weighs up okay, vague feeling but I guess you don’t want a sharp steering in a large SUV), the sheer presence and street cred of the Safari (really a 30-lakh car that looks like a 60-lakh car), spacious + comfortable + stylish cabin loaded with features, terrific mile-munching long-distance capability, superb disco-like sound system, 5-star safety rating is very assuring for highway drives, robust build quality feels abuse-friendly, commanding driving position, powerful A/C, lots of storage options in the cabin, smooth AT gearbox, enough power on tap, rough road ability & ground clearance, not seen Safari owners complain about DPF / BS6 exhaust issues like Mahindra owners

What’s Not: Niggles & bugs, no 4x4 / AWD (XUV700 offers it), rough edges & inconsistencies in build / part fitment / finishing are evident in some areas, 19” rims are unsuitable for a rough & tough SUV (tyres prone to damage, short sidewalls, R19s bring a bit of a firm edge, I’d personally prefer the Safari with R17 wheels), ergonomically still imperfect (I managed alright, but never found my “perfect” driving position), FCA 2.0 diesel engine shows its age + gets noisy at high revs (XUV700’s diesel is superior), no powerful turbo-petrol AT like the XUV700

Niggles faced: Electronic parking brake error on the MID, switching off ADAS braking sometimes required the car to be restarted, central locking didn’t unlock and / or boot didn’t unlock, Wireless Android Auto dropped connection a couple of times (two different phones)

On the stunning new Atal Setu, India’s longest Sea Bridge, which has now become a weekly drive for me:
2023 Tata Safari Facelift Review-1.jpg

Drive on this Sea Bridge and you’ll be in awe of India’s ambitions. What an achievement, what an engineering marvel:
2023 Tata Safari Facelift Review-2.jpg

The pre-facelift Safari never made me smile like this, but Tata has really worked wonders with the midlife update. The Safari Facelift has dramatically improved over the earlier car. Cements my belief that you should wait 2-3 years after a fresh new car launch for the much-improved version that inevitably follows:
2023 Tata Safari Facelift Review-3saf.jpg

Peaceful, charming countryside:
2023 Tata Safari Facelift Review-4.jpg

2023 Tata Safari Facelift Review-5.jpg

Stayed at this stunning property, literally in the middle of nowhere. Serene, spacious, lots of wood, greens and nature:
2023 Tata Safari Facelift Review-6-2.jpg

Nothing quite like chillaxing after driving a good car on a good road…and filling your mind up with thoughts of how the Indian Car Scene has evolved:
2023 Tata Safari Facelift Review-6-3.jpg

2023 Tata Safari Facelift Review-6-4.jpg

2023 Tata Safari Facelift Review-6-5.jpg

2023 Tata Safari Facelift Review-6-6.jpg

Went for a spin in kayaks:
2023 Tata Safari Facelift Review-6-7.jpg

In some truly calm waters:
2023 Tata Safari Facelift Review-6-8.jpg

So therapeutic:
2023 Tata Safari Facelift Review-6-9.jpg

The ambience & mood at night were equally spectacular. Throw in the right music and you’re all set:
2023 Tata Safari Facelift Review-6-11.jpg

What’s a brand-new Tata without niggles?
2023 Tata Safari Facelift Review-7.jpg

You know you parked a good-looking car when the staff immediately surround it & update their WhatsApp DPs:
2023 Tata Safari Facelift Review-undefined-imgur.jpg

Awesome Maharashtra – you just have to know where to go, pick the right places, do the right things & avoid the crowds:
2023 Tata Safari Facelift Review-9-1.jpg

At some points, the roads were totally broken & my family was actually wondering if we’re on the right track. Glad I had the Safari, this wasn’t a place accessible in sedans:
2023 Tata Safari Facelift Review-9-2.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 25th January 2024 at 13:15.
GTO is offline   (132) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 09:46   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
not seen Safari owners complain of DPF / BS6 exhaust issues like Mahindra owners
Curious to know a little more on this, own a XUV700 AWD and part of a very mature and active owners group where the feedback pretty much unanimously is that M&M have got their DPF implementation pretty spot on when it comes to AT - zero complaints and near zero reports of even manual regen popping up on MID and a very welcome large 20L DEF tank.

On the MT variant - depending on the driving style few folks who lug the engine have had manual regen pop up on rare occassions but yet to see any complaints of getting into limp mode and towing it to service center.
Sandegov is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 10:05   #385
BHPian

Wow, great to have GTO's stamp of approval on this car (Niggles aside off course)!

Faced the dreaded speedometer stuck issue AGAIN yesterday. Following image shows how it looks. Notice that speed is stuck at 0 but transmission level is updating. I was going at about 55kmph (transmission at D4) when picture was taken by co-passenger. Even rpm was stuck at 1K. But everything else seemed to display or update fine on the MID (like transmission shifts, real time fuel efficiency indicator etc) . Driving was normal as well.

2023 Tata Safari Facelift Review-20240122_095229.jpg

I am guessing the speed and rpm values are fed by a dedicated sensor and it alone malfunctions sometimes.

Stopping the car (both engine and electronics) and restarting it did not fix the issue but doing a reset from infotainment settings did.

I know sensors/electronics can go wrong sometimes, but showing speed of car reliably is something very basic. This is unacceptable for any car, let alone a flagship car from a prominent manufacturer. Hopefully Tata will identify and fix it soon.

Does anyone know if there is a way to create bug requests directly on Tata website? I maybe wrong but I do not trust the ability of service center folks to report it to higher ups and track it to closure.
Thinking_Slow is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 10:46   #386
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandegov View Post
Curious to know a little more on this, own a XUV700 AWD and part of a very mature and active owners group where the feedback pretty much unanimously is that M&M have got their DPF implementation pretty spot on
Don't want to take this thread off-topic, but I own a 2022 Mahindra Thar Petrol AT. Researched heavily, saw many Mahindra Diesel owners complaining of DPF / BS6 issues (here's a quick Team-BHP link). It was one of the 4 reasons that made me pick the petrol over the diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking_Slow View Post
Does anyone know if there is a way to create bug requests directly on Tata website?
IMHO, these kind of errors will only get resolved via software updates by Tata, or some sensor replacements at the dealer.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 10:53   #387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik1289 View Post
Hello Everyone,

Got the vehicle allocation mail from Tata. Car will reach the dealership in 3 days. Planning to do PDI after that. Do we have any PDI checklist for safari specific?
Hey, can you share the color/variant and the booking date? I Booked Safari Acc+ DT AT in Galactic Sapphire on 18th December 2023, and I have no updates from Tata or the dealer.
Old 23rd January 2024, 14:12   #388
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
FCA 2.0 diesel engine shows its age + gets noisy at high revs (XUV700’s diesel is superior), no powerful turbo-petrol AT like the XUV700

Stayed at this stunning property, literally in the middle of nowhere. Serene, spacious, lots of wood, greens and nature:
Thanks for sharing your views on this car.

For me, the engine makes the car. The features/creature comforts are welcome but apart from a few useful ones in India like auto dimming IRVM (the person behind will always be driving on full beam!), ventilated seats (such a boon in our weather) & 360 degree camera (very useful for our packed roads), I do not much care for them.

Therefore, what I am gathering here is (as an answer to my question in a previous post on this thread), the XUV700 is still the car to buy because of those sweet engines, suspension setup and it isn't exactly spartan in terms of features. Yes, the facelift is needed (no doubt) but even today its still the better car than the Safari.

PS: I am not in the market to buy. I am just trying to ascertain which car is better to drive. I will go check them out for myself too because I have not even sat in either one of them yet.

Also, please share the name of the property. I would love to go there.

Last edited by sjain2054 : 23rd January 2024 at 14:13.
sjain2054 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 15:58   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjain2054 View Post
I am not in the market to buy. I am just trying to ascertain which car is better to drive. I will go check them out for myself too because I have not even sat in either one of them yet.
XUV700 AWD is the best car below 35 lakhs to buy for touring. It is well engineered- better engine, better suspension, better NVH, lesser niggles, slightly better ASS and more car-like to drive. Safari beats XUV700 in exterior and interior looks. I will rate a fully loaded 4x4 Scorpio-N higher than a Safari/Harrier twins.
greyhound82 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th January 2024, 10:22   #390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post
XUV700 AWD is the best car below 35 lakhs to buy for touring. It is well engineered- better engine, better suspension, better NVH, lesser niggles, slightly better ASS and more car-like to drive. Safari beats XUV700 in exterior and interior looks. I will rate a fully loaded 4x4 Scorpio-N higher than a Safari/Harrier twins.
In terms of Road / wind noise , my Harrier felt better than a Petrol Xuv. We compared it one after the other on a smooth highway road and a bad B road. Xuv's suspension felt stiffer and tended to wobble the whole car on bad roads meanwhile the Harrier felt mature on such roads. The scorpio is great but that body on frame vertical movement was too much for us , especially the nose dive while braking. It definitely wasn't as comfortable as the monocoques but there is no doubt the scorpio is the most capable of the bunch but not useful for people who mostly drive in an urban environment.

The engines from M&M are definitely a step up from the aging 2.0 multijet. How ever in terms on efficiency my Harrier gets 12-13 kmpl in City and 18-19 on the highway - both of these with a mix of sports and city drive mode , so I am happy overall with the engine on offer
V0id2003 is online now   (17) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks