Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2024, 21:36   #346
BHPian

Re: 2023 Tata Safari Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish.gawai View Post
I believe modern phones with wireless charging option stops charging once they reach 100%. Do you feel it is getting hot even after 100% charging?
Thanks for the welcome :)

Yes, that is true for both wired and wireless charging. Electric current draw is stopped once battery reaches 100%.

But that's not the concern here. The car is my daily driver. Resting the phone on the wireless charging pad every time I get in the car means charging it wirelessly each time. I understand that it might not be an issue for others but I am a bit finicky when it comes to maintaining the phone battery. It may sound weird but I follow a charge cycle for most of my portable devices. Frequent charging (especially wireless charging that heats up the device) negatively impacts battery life.

I doubt that Tata can provide the option to disable wireless charging via a SW update because most likely the pad must have been hard wired. But I hope, they listen to the feedback and provide the option in their future offerings.
Thinking_Slow is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 21:50   #347
BANNED

I took a test drive of Safari Facelift last weekend. Few observations are: -
1. Car looks stunning in real life, the headlamp is amazing. Display car was simply superb and even the one I drove was really charmer even in white color.
2. I have not observed any change in driving comfort & feel. Even the steering doesn’t seems with a big change for me – may be it was a short run and have to drive some real long distance to get a feel.
3. The touch screen and gear knob enhances the premium feel inside the cabin, same time the steering looks odd
4. Dead pedal still needs improvement, why can’t simple copy Hyundais / Toyotas?
5. I found 19” does not makes a big difference, may be tyre upgradation will help.
6. 2nd and 3rd raw found as same, the headrest in 2nd raw is better though.
I feel TATA needs to introduce petrol variants (even 1.5l would do) at more affordable rates to challenge an XUV or ScorpioN
Old 9th January 2024, 23:19   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post
Offtopic: LiDAR sensors generate a dense 3D point cloud, providing accurate depth information(do we need that precision for navigation? humans employ stereo vision and fuzzy measurements), for applications such as obstacle detection, localization, and mapping. However, LiDAR generates a significant amount of data(3d point cloud) which leads to increased processing and storage requirements, resulting in the need for more powerful and costly SoCs. While there are developments for solid-state LiDAR units with no moving parts, known as LiDAR on a chip, that can potentially reduce the cost of integrating LiDAR.

RADAR systems can be more robust in adverse weather conditions compared to LiDAR. Radio waves can penetrate through rain and snow, allowing RADAR to maintain better performance in challenging weather conditions.(Due to low frequencies compared to Lasers)

With recent advancements in computer vision algorithms, fusing cameras and radar into a single setup is more straightforward, considering the dimensionality of the data and incorporating multiple use cases into a single SoC. Cameras serve as a first principle and biologically inspired means of solving the navigation problem.

Tesla's Autopilot employs only cameras for navigation. May be for Avinya, they might be using Mobileye's system or Waymo's system while Bosch ADAS modules are for low end models. Thanks so much for the information.
For now these segments will not get Lidars as its on the costlier side. And adas is getting better with image processing algos. As you mentioned when they add lidars it obviously requires powerful socs. Oem may look for lidars when they move to L3 or even L4 adas levels.
jhenu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 23:19   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiche_SK View Post
I took a test drive of Safari Facelift last weekend. Few observations are: -
1. Car looks stunning in real life, the headlamp is amazing. Display car was simply superb and even the one I drove was really charmer even in white color.
2. I have not observed any change in driving comfort & feel. Even the steering doesn’t seems with a big change for me – may be it was a short run and have to drive some real long distance to get a feel.
3. The touch screen and gear knob enhances the premium feel inside the cabin, same time the steering looks odd
4. Dead pedal still needs improvement, why can’t simple copy Hyundais / Toyotas?
5. I found 19” does not makes a big difference, may be tyre upgradation will help.
6. 2nd and 3rd raw found as same, the headrest in 2nd raw is better though.
I feel TATA needs to introduce petrol variants (even 1.5l would do) at more affordable rates to challenge an XUV or ScorpioN
Are your observations compared to pre facelift version? Specially points #2,4,5,6?
Old 10th January 2024, 08:12   #350

Have a Safari Diesel (previous version) in the family. I feel the steering is unusually light, especially given the size of the car. Doesn’t instil lot of confidence in highways. Anyone else feels the same? Or is my case an anomaly?
Old 10th January 2024, 09:23   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiche_SK View Post
Oh it's a huge improvement over the previous version. This one is as light as a hatchback in city conditions. I have driven my friends Gen2 Harrier and that is way too heavy
gauravdgr8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 09:27   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishwath P View Post
Have a Safari Diesel (previous version) in the family. I feel the steering is unusually light, especially given the size of the car. Doesn’t instil lot of confidence in highways. Anyone else feels the same? Or is my case an anomaly?
It is a known issue with pre-facelift Harrier and Safari twins. Rather than light it is heavy at parking speeds and light at high speeds
Old 10th January 2024, 10:00   #353
BHPian

I feel whenever any comparisons are done with pre face lift, one has to compare with the mid 2023 model and not with something you have from 2021. A lot changed between the two including the feature list and niggles.
The HPS of my Aug 2023 Safari has grown on me now and in fact I never found the steering too heavy or too light anywhere. I just love driving it on the curvy roads. Yes feedback from undulations did concern me but have gotten used to it now.
Rodie09 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 10:52   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
The HPS of my Aug 2023 Safari has grown on me now and I never found the steering too heavy or too light anywhere
That is nice to hear. I love a well-tuned hydraulic steering. The major issue with the 2020 model that I owned is that over sensitive feeling above 100 kph.

What about left pulling though I can live with that grinding noise from brakes?

Last edited by greyhound82 : 10th January 2024 at 10:55.
Old 10th January 2024, 10:54   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Offtopic: LiDAR sensors generate a dense 3D point cloud, providing accurate depth information(do we need that precision for navigation? humans employ stereo vision and fuzzy measurements), for applications such as obstacle detection, localization, and mapping. However, LiDAR generates a significant amount of data(3d point cloud) which leads to increased processing and storage requirements, resulting in the need for more powerful and costly SoCs. While there are developments for solid-state LiDAR units with no moving parts, known as LiDAR on a chip, that can potentially reduce the cost of integrating LiDAR.

RADAR systems can be more robust in adverse weather conditions compared to LiDAR. Radio waves can penetrate through rain and snow, allowing RADAR to maintain better performance in challenging weather conditions.(Due to low frequencies compared to Lasers)

With recent advancements in computer vision algorithms, fusing cameras and radar into a single setup is more straightforward, considering the dimensionality of the data and incorporating multiple use cases into a single SoC. Cameras serve as a first principle and biologically inspired means of solving the navigation problem.

Tesla's Autopilot employs only cameras for navigation. May be for Avinya, they might be using Mobileye's system or Waymo's system while Bosch ADAS modules are for low end models. Thanks so much for the information.
Thanks greyhound82 for the detailed & technical clarification. It adds to the knowledge.
Don't know what Tata is thinking but yes, I am sure they are using LiDAR for Avinya (at least as of today). Maybe it is a non-moving type as you explained.

Thanks
satish.gawai is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 11:43   #356
BHPian

Quote:
That is nice to hear. I love a well-tuned hydraulic steering. The major issue with the 2020 model that I owned is that over sensitive feeling above 100 kph.

What about left pulling though I can live with that grinding noise from brakes?
Let me reiterate, this (Safari Pre facelift) may not be the best tuned HPS and I am no expert in terms of Steering precision etc.- also the undulations feedback required getting used to. To me this is not bothering anymore. I never felt the steering to be heavy to the extent of being deal breaker. Definitely not light at all at high speeds - you can feel the grip on the road. Due to speed cams and all it is getting impossible to go in three digits but for short spurts I have done, it worked very well and enjoyable. With the Safari, I am trying to become an even more safer driver considering the big car blame scene in India and also that one has to appreciate the momentum of this beast when accelerating and braking.

On the left pull, I had this issue and was fixed in first service via wheel alignment. Around 5k kms. now and still straight as an arrow - fingers crossed.

Sorry to digress and hijack the facelift thread with my view on pre facelift.
Rodie09 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 12:41   #357

Friends,

How will we know if a new S/W update is available for the car? Is there a way we can refresh the S/W of the vehicle without visiting the Service Center?
msrajesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 13:47   #358

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrajesh View Post
Friends,

How will we know if a new S/W update is available for the car? Is there a way we can refresh the S/W of the vehicle without visiting the Service Center?

I have this question too, Also anyone knows if the third row AC can be controlled via screen. I get an alert saying "Update software"
Old 10th January 2024, 15:32   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrajesh View Post
Friends,

I don't think it is possible unless the vehicle manufacturer releases On the Air updates.

I guess Mercedes, BMW, Volvo & Tesla are providing OTA updates for their cars.
satish.gawai is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 18:00   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishwath P View Post
Yes. I have a pre-facelift Safari and the steering is very sensitive. Prior to this I drove Safari Dicor for 12 years which had a play (by design) in the steering which I was used to. So it was a big learning curve to adjust to the new Safari.

Most Viewed