Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2023, 22:34   #226
BHPian

Re: 2023 Tata Safari Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Any insights into the performance of headlights? I have seen a video and was surprised looking at the headlight's performance during the night drives. Or the person who shot the video from another vehicle didn't get it quite right.
I just created a video on headlight performance. The detailed on has commentary in Malayalam. So for those who don't understand Malayalam, here is the link to the shorts:

Here is the detailed video (commentary doesn't really matter here):
spaceunicorn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th November 2023, 22:48   #227
BHPian

I have started to learn to live with the quirks of a Tata slowly. As long as these are not leaving me stranded anywhere, I am not complaining much. After all this was all expected before taking the plunge.
Rodie09 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 08:00   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentreOfGravity View Post
Hi guys. One question to Safari owners: are the hazard lights / turn indicators of your car unsynchronised? I was watching a review a few days back and I was absolutely shocked to see this (pay close attention to nothing but the hazards):
https://Youtube.com/clip/UgkxXszRxQB...niMrbTXB3VWEFI

I REALLY hope that this is a one-off case. If not, Tata has proved that it is indeed the world class expert in revolutionising niggles never seen before in the automotive world.

I cannot explain how hard this triggered my OCD.
This happens when there is a sequential indicator setup. The instrument cluster waits for the 'sequence' to finish before flashing again while the hazards blink at the start of the sequence. The same behavior is seen in XUV Hector and Seltos as well. Although, TATA has some weird behavior where the indicators flash faster than what appears on the instrument cluster even when operating without hazards. My guess is they've tried to sync the frequency to the sound of the indicators than the external flashing.
Old 20th November 2023, 09:56   #229
BHPian

The indicators outside and the lights on the instrument cluster are not controlled by a common relay like in older cars. Like most other body electrical equipment like lights, power windows, etc., they are controlled by the body control module that follows commands set by the software.
If the flashes don't synchronise, it's just a quirk, not a fault.
Enjoy your new Safari!
Motard_Blr is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 15:26   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceunicorn View Post
2. The TPMS is completely wrong - seems it needs to be calibrated. TPMS shows 44 while I checked at a local Tyre shop and ensured 34 for all four Tyres.
Verify the pressure with another independant reader as well. Local tyre shops (even proper setups) are notorious for wrongly calibrated gauges. OEM calibrations are usually accurate.

I've been through this at many tyre garages, where they fill up 32 as per their gauge while my Ecosport TPMS, independant Michelin gauge and portable compressor all show the pressure to be 41-42 ! I now top up with my 12V inflator.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 16:50   #231
BHPian

Did the test drive of the new facelift safari last week here are my observations,
  • The drive was pretty smooth, cabin insulation seems much better than the previous gen safari.
  • The new gear shifter feels premium, just would have been better had it had more metal than plastic.
  • Audio sound through new speaker setup seems great, but felt MG hector's speakers had better clarity and bass, nonetheless it is still good.
  • For some reason I felt under thigh support a bit lacking, may be I could have played around with seating position, was getting late to office so had to hurry.
  • The new infotainment system, driver display unit and 360 camera deserve a special mention, they are really top notch and tata has really outdone themselves (fingers crossed, to early to celebrate). The cameras really have excellent clarity. Blindspot monitoring along with lane change camera really work nicely in tandem.
  • These new 19 inch tyres really have better road connect I feel, waiting to test it over the rough surfaces to see how much they pass the undulations back into cabin. But on Hyderabad outer ring road they really soaked those small rumble strips with ease and ride felt even. Did not observe much tyre noise either.
  • High speed stability and braking seems adequate for size of the car.
  • The blower does sound a bit loud when in 3, that again is not a big issue as once the cabin is cool, it should be silent considering blower on speed 2 is silent.
  • 3rd row is comfortable for adults with 5'8" and below, other might feel bit knees up position. But still is better for couple for hours trips.
  • The Steering felt light to maneuver at low speed and weighed up nicely as speed climbed up, and this does reflect on how the vehicle feels. The new facelift safari feels easy to drive in traffic and doesn't remind to much of its size as compared to older version. Though don't expect an XUV 700 feel, that felt like a hatch when driving. Safari will still remind you that you are driving a big vehicle but in a very subtle manner.
  • Steering buttons felt a bit tacky, they don't give you premium feel and they also seems to have a bit extra gap between buttons and steering surface and sometimes your nails or fingers might partially come in between them and might lead to them being uprooted if not careful.

Tata still needs to improve the QC for its vehicles, the test drive vehicle I drove (could be delivery one as well) had 100 kms on the odometer. The powered seat button on driver side already came off on the vehicle when i tried to adjust the seats, that sort of drove me crazy as its brand new vehicle and this type of quality issue does not inspire confidence in brand.

Overall I liked the new Facelift safari, just got information from my dealer that vehicle has been billed at factory. I booked the Accomplished plus AT in galactic blue color. Hopefully QC is bit better on the delivery vehicles.
Wakeupsid is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 17:09   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakeupsid View Post
Did the test drive of the new facelift safari last week here are my observations,
I can vouch for almost every point you listed.
I have extensively driven Xuv700 of a friend and love it for its driving dynamics, which are more car-like and you can squeeze it in without feeling overwhelmed.

However I test-drove the new Safari, and it is amazing.
1. Feels huge, as should a large SUV. It is such a shame it doesn't have 4x4/AWD.
2. Feels premium. The doors, the materials, and the overall cabin are excellent. Felt much more inviting and plush than XUV's.
3. The automatic gearbox did a great job and was responding very well.

I think if TATA can keep niggles down, this is a really good car.
And once again, why no AWD/4x4 TATA? This is such a great opportunity missed.
ralto is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 21:24   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralto View Post
why no AWD/4x4 TATA? This is such a great opportunity missed.
While the Safari and Harrier are based on Omega Arc, which is derived from Land Rovers D8 platform, Tata will have to invest a lot of money to make it compatible to accommodate a 4WD system. This will make the Harrier and Safari a lot more expensive than the competition.

Source: Motoroctane
hAwX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2023, 16:20   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just a thought here - I have seen the following behavior

1. The sunroof blind is operational after the car is switched off. Means there is a regular supply of electricity to the mechanism.
2. Tail gate is operational after we unlock.
3. Front both power seats are adjustable even after the car is switched off.
4. If we open the tailgate while the car is locked, the inside lights get on and won't go off after you close the tail gate. It will go off only after we lock the car again. SO if you forgot to lock the car - the lights are on (for some time, I believe). May be the 60- or 120-min rule applies to the tailgate function as well.
5. Each time the car is unlocked - the side mirrors unfold (I remember Mahindra taking out that feature and made it to unfold only if you start the engine).

Can this cause extra load on the battery?
The side mirrors and lights are extremely small things and should not cause any modern car's battery to go flat. Hyundais etc have had these features in India for ages and doesn't suffer from such issues.

I think there is some other issue somewhere which is causing excessive battery drain.

Last edited by Cresterk : 22nd November 2023 at 16:21.
Cresterk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2023, 13:53   #235
BHPian

My experience with activating the Tata iRA app has been frustrating and unnecessarily time-consuming. Request all planning to get delivery of the vehicle to mandate activation of iRA app before delivery.
While all the delivery related process were handled with perfection, Tata still failed on the iRA app activation front. I got delivery of the vehicle on 04th Nov, and the dealership failed to mention the iRA app or provide any activation instructions. I managed to install the app myself and validate my credentials online using an OTP. However, the app failed to connect to the network. I raised this with Dealer and the classic first reply was "There are some updating going on with iRA and may take some time". After a week or two, i reached out to iRA app support and they responded back saying my KYC documents are not yet submitted by Dealer. I reached out to Dealer and the second classic reply was "The lady who was doing the job quit, and they will submit it shortly."

Finally, all KYC documents were submitted to Tata on 17th, and confirmed by Tata iRA app team. However, the activation is still pending. Tata initially said 72 hours for activation - but now there is no response to my emails on when this will be activated.
Old 23rd November 2023, 18:30   #236
BHPian

Quote:
My experience with activating the Tata iRA app has been frustrating and unnecessarily time-consuming.
Agree. Went through this recently. Usually calling the customer service helps. They hand the matter over back to the dealership. But then the things move at the dealership's end. If they still don't move, call customer service again and tell it didn't work and ask for escalation contact. Then it finally works. This is what I went through.

On a lighter yet objective note - you are not missing anything big, by not having IRA app! The app isn't great, has a very unintuitive UI and has very little utility. It's just that the feeling of a spoiled purchase experience that hurts.

Just like IRA, even the registration in TMSC app is an ordeal requiring similar escalations.
mayuresh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2023, 19:04   #237
BHPian

Agree with all you say. Especially the following

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakeupsid View Post
[*]The new gear shifter feels premium, just would have been better had it had more metal than plastic.
[*]For some reason I felt under thigh support a bit lacking, may be I could have played around with seating position, was getting late to office so had to hurry. This is the number one problem, along with the left leg fouling
[*]These new 19 inch tyres really have better road connect I feel, waiting to test it over the rough surfaces to see how much they pass the undulations back into cabin. But on Hyderabad outer ring road they really soaked those small rumble strips with ease and ride felt even. Did not observe much tyre noise either. After back to back drives, this is much better is Safari than XUV700[/list]
chinkara is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2023, 11:21   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuresh View Post
On a lighter yet objective note - you are not missing anything big, by not having IRA app! The app isn't great, has a very unintuitive UI and has very little utility. It's just that the feeling of a spoiled purchase experience that hurts.

Just like IRA, even the registration in TMSC app is an ordeal requiring similar escalations.
Spot-on! The need for having the iRA app in working condition, is not related to the utility it provides, but the purchase experience! Without the App working, it feels like you paid for something and didn't get the full value out of that. Not sure why it is taking like 7 days (and counting) to activate the iRA app - if it's so hard, IMHO, Tata should scrap the app service. TMSC was activated without any hiccups. But realized my email ID was wrongly updated by dealer. Looks like there are plenty of people both in Tata and with their dealers, who are not doing their job properly

Update: Recently noticed by Radio reception is not up to mark. In the sense, most of the areas, the radio is dropping and getting the noise of no reception.
Old 24th November 2023, 14:28   #239
BANNED

This is my first post. Thanks to the Team-BHP administrators for accepting my registration.

Yesterday, I test-drove both the Tata Safari (Accomplished Plus automatic variant) and Tata Harrier (Fearless Plus DK Edition manual variant). Here are my observations.

1.The EPS is very smooth. I had to put in a little effort during U-turns and at slow speeds. The steering gains weight gradually once the speed increases.

2.Braking is very good. During my test-drive, a cycle crossed suddenly in front of me. The vehicle halted immediately after applying the brake.

3.The automatic gearbox is better and smoother than the manual. I will recommend anyone to go for the automatic variant. The manual has a clutch with a long travel.

At this price point, they should have given auto-up/down feature for both the front windows (now, only drive window has auto-up/down), adjustable driver armrest, middle headrest for the 2nd row and reclining seats for the 2nd row.

I inquired with two Tata dealership in Chennai. Both sales advisors periodically update me about the car. Their responses are always good.

Last edited by Aditya : 26th November 2023 at 23:46. Reason: Grammar, spacing, etc.
Mad100 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2023, 15:54   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad100 View Post

I enquired with two Tata dealership in Chennai. Both sales advisors periodically update me about the car. And their responses are always good.
Thanks for sharing your observations about the new safari. I test drove the pre-facelift safari last month and the car felt superb in all aspects especially the Harmon JBL sound system, except for the infamous car pulling towards left when the steering wheel is not hold tightly.
Did you experience any similar issues in the facelift model?

I enquired 2 dealers(Lakshmi tata Ambattur and gokulam motors katupakkam) in Chennai, they didn't have any pure(o) or pure+ variants in display. They were keen on selling the accomplished models which is not of my interest. The sales manager keeps calling me on daily basis to book the vehicle, but my thoughts are you check the vehicle first before booking it.

Did you happen to see pure variants of safari anywhere?

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks