Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2024, 21:20   #256
BHPian

Re: 2023 Tata Harrier Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB93 View Post
Hi all - I was looking for some advice from Tata Harrier owners on this forum.

1. Will my low running be a problem since this is a diesel only engine - the high upfront cost of the diesel is not a problem for me, but will I have more engine / DPF troubles because of low running?

2. Since the heart wants what it wants, if I were to flip this question and ask, what would I have to do to make this car work for me - for e.g. would a drive through on the sea-link every weekend be good enough to the engine and DPF working fine? Or would I need to do a 30-50 KM run once in two weeks?

3. How bad can it get if I bring home this beauty, with my low running? What is really the worst case I am looking at?

As long as you are stretching the legs of Harrier at least once a week for around 20+ km at good rpm (read 2000+), it should be fine. The worst case scenario is your DPF will be clogged, after all the tell-tale lights on the instrument cluster will come up, the car will go into limp mode and the visit to the service center will be the only way out.

I have had a DPF issue only once in the last 3.5 years, got resolved after driving the car on high rpm for some time.
Old 16th May 2024, 21:22   #257
bbv
BHPian

Hi, some questions after taking TD of XUV700 and Safari back to back...
Well, my initial choice is (or was) Harrier, not Safari, but the showroom only had Safari, so took a test drive of that. Some observations that I had, for which I would like to see if some more experienced/experts have different or in-depth view.

1) In Safari, when compared to XUV 700 the rear seat comfort didn't look nice. I felt that the under-thigh support is a bit less in Safari and the middle seat doesn't have a head-rest. Even XUV doesn't have and adjustable one, but has a slight bump for head to rest on.

2) A major issue that I felt was the possibility of stretching the legs while seating in rear seat was really bad in Safari, due to the very low bottom of front seats. One could barely put the feet in the space between it and floor of car. This is way better in XUV 700 and after a point in long-drives I fear it would be extremely annoying, when 3 are seated behind.

3) I also felt that the width of the vehicle (also while seated behind) is slightly lesser compared to XUV or at least the XUV gives a slightly more spacious feel.

4) I don't know, if it was just my feel, or perhaps the showroom has replaced the windshield, but I felt that the seeing through windshield was like seeing through very low-power glasses. An immediate glance to the side window was quite a relief. I doubt, if this would be the case though for all Harrier/Safari.

5) The last row of Safari doesn't become completely flat and also seems to have slightly less boot space when up (although these cars aren't for boot spaces with third row up anyways).

6) In general, the build quality of Safari seemed a bit lacking, when I saw both the display model and TD vehicle missing 'I' of SAFARI from the sides.

The seating position was initially an issue, but I could adjust it by moving seat a bit behind and bringing the steering lower. The electric seat adjustments and ORVM control knob seemed better located in XUV too. Although, I may not take the top-end as I am not interested in ADAS, electric seat adjustment, ventilated seats, auto-dimming IRVM etc. In this respect, the Safari/Harrier is seemed more loaded even for lower variants.

I think I will have to again go for TDs with a little better prepared, when you can't rely on showroom people to give you a good overview of features.
Old 19th May 2024, 11:12   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbv View Post
1) In Safari, when compared to XUV 700 the rear seat comfort didn't look nice. I felt that the under-thigh support is a bit less in Safari and the middle seat doesn't have a head-rest. Even XUV doesn't have and adjustable one, but has a slight bump for head to rest on.
Harrier has much better rear seats than the Safari. I compared both back to back while trying to decide between the 2 last year. Safari's lack of 2nd row comfort isn't talked about enough. Of the 3 I would say that in terms of reat seats - Harrier>Xuv>Safari
V0id2003 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 20:19   #259
agh

Is dark edition my only option if i want 19 inch wheels? Can I do it in the aftermarket? Any idea on how much it would cost?
Old 25th May 2024, 20:47   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agh View Post
Is dark edition my only option if i want 19 inch wheels? Can I do it in the aftermarket? Any idea on how much it would cost?
Could go with the Safari I guess. I don't think the stock 19 Inchers would be available off market.

Although I have seen a post here of a dark edition Safari who replaced the stock 19 Inchers with aftermarket ones. Maybe try contacting him for the stock rims

Last edited by V0id2003 : 25th May 2024 at 20:48. Reason: ig-> I guess
Old 27th May 2024, 14:30   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agh View Post
If stock then Yes, dark edition is the option, but you can also talk to the dealership and get the 19' rims for the Harrier but please note, dealer will not do a exchange on the existing 18' stock alloys.

Since your are in BLR, check once with Car Sringar on JC road on the 19' pricing as he has couple of them.

My cousin has the dark edition Harrier with stock 19' and says ride handling is harsh compared to mine Adventure variant 18'.
sajands is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 23:37   #262
bbv
BHPian

I took test drives of harrier and xuv 700 and somehow can't ignore some of the ergonomical issues that I see in Harrier. Below I am listing all the majot/minor differences that I noted in both cars.

- As I earlier mentioned that the backseat comfort is highly compromised by the fact that one with average+ height (I guess 5'8"+) can't stretch legs enough just because the front is designed so low, leaving gap between floor and seat for no more than one's feet. (I found this to be even better in lower segment Nexon at display there).

- I felt that rear seat is narrower and lacks under thigh support compared to xuv700. I even took a measuring tape, as I was trying hard to reduce the flaws in design that I noticed, to make it easier for myself to convince, but unfortunately now I had evidence for what I felt earlier. The rear seat is good 7-8cms narrower than xuv and 1-2 cms lesser in thigh-support too.

- The driver and passenger seats also felt more comfortable in Xuv700. My wife has a habit of seating with crossed-legs over the seat and this way the knee was touching the door and the other one quite close to gear lever (An MT will be tough). But, at the same time, I would like to mention that with my seating position, I didn't find any left knee discomfort on the driver seat. It wasn't touching the central console at all. I am 5'10".

- [Maybe Nitpick]
-- The bad design of central area to keep phones, leaving it a bit difficult to access (2 phones can be easily kept in xuv). Otherwise also xuv's center console seems sorted compared to harrier.
-- The inside door knobs opening so close to door handles, and so pointy that always threatening to pinch your fingers, while opening.
-- non-moving front handrest.
-- Not even an unmovable center headrest for rear seat coupled with bigger floor bump relatively makes seating uncomfortable for 5th person.
-- There is a bump/high floor below passenger seat restricting you from keeping your feet too close to seat.
-- The placement of ORVM controls and the driver seat electrical adjustments seemed more comfortable in Xuv, especially ORVM controls.
-- I personally would always prefer physical buttons for AC (and other) controls, completely unimpressed by any aesthetic value that those touch-based control might bring.
-- No possibility of light color interiors.

Some benefits that come just because I am thinking of Xuv as an alternative are:
- reclining rear-seats with center headrest.
- 2 additional seats
- Bigger boot space when last row folded.
- Better headlights with auto booster
- Powerful engine
- Better sound system
- light colored interiors making it feel more spacious (Even their dark themed Blaze version has upper half, including roof light colored)
- Digital video recording capability, not sure if harrier also has this.

Few features that I may miss, if I choose Xuv over harrier:
- Electrically controlled passenger seat
- Rear AC vents on B pillar
- Full screen 360 and blind spot (side) camera views
- More charging ports options, including a 12v front (extra) and back option, 2nd row USB-A.
- Electric tailgate.
- more?
Although, these don't look that important in comparison to the problems I see and the benefits in Xuv over harrier.

Please feel free to correct me or add to the above comparison points. I'll add more, if I remember.
Old 28th May 2024, 08:38   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Please feel free to correct me or add to the above comparison points. I'll add more, if I remember.
Think of the Harrier as more of an Alfa Romeo , it is one of the prettiest things around but has more issues and more unreliability than the XUV. If you are not a fan of the aesthetic appeal of the Harrier then you can safely go with the XUV in my opinion , it is the safe bet and preferred by almost everyone around
V0id2003 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2024, 20:21   #264
bbv
BHPian

Quote:
Few features that I may miss, if I choose Xuv over harrier:
- Electrically controlled passenger seat
- Rear AC vents on B pillar
- Full screen 360 and blind spot (side) camera views
- More charging ports options, including a 12v front (extra) and back option, 2nd row USB-A.
- Electric tailgate.
- more?
Although, these don't look that important in comparison to the problems I see and the benefits in Xuv over harrier.

As promised, some more:
- Rear seat sunshades
- auto-dimming IRVM (never really understood the hype around this; what's the big deal in manually dimming it once for the whole ride)
- front-parking sensors (but you have 360 camera
- Ambient lighting

Still don't see them so important in comparison to compromising on ergonomics, just my view.

Last edited by bbv : 30th May 2024 at 20:37.
Old 30th May 2024, 21:06   #265
BHPian

Quote:
As promised, some more:
Still don't see them so important in comparison to compromising on ergonomics, just my view.
These features aren't deal breakers in my view. If you aren't concerned with the XUV's tacky looks and lower quality scratchy interiors then go for it blindly
V0id2003 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2024, 22:04   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As promised, some more:
- Rear seat sunshades
- auto-dimming IRVM (never really understood the hype around this; what's the big deal in manually dimming it once for the whole ride)
- front-parking sensors (but you have 360 camera
- Ambient lighting

Auto dimming IRVM is not like flipping the switch on a manual mirror. It will only darken the mirror whenever bright light shines on it and prevent it from blinding you and then go back to being normal. It improves visibility quite a lot compared to traditional mirror where you flip a switch and now you can only see lights.
Cresterk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2024, 20:23   #267
BHPian

I don't know if this screenshot makes sense here but my cousin who bought Harrier #Dark four years back has driven about 450000 kms. And I am not a fan of TaMo; even look of it does not appeal me, but this is commendable from an Indian brand which was seen lowly by Goliaths of automative world less than two decades back.

Running average 300kms daily for 4 years without engine swap is a big deal IMO.

Does Harrier/Safari's engine has some Fiat blood in it?
Attached Thumbnails
2023 Tata Harrier Facelift Review-whatsapp-image-20240610-20.10.51.jpeg  

2023 Tata Harrier Facelift Review-whatsapp-image-20240519-00.19.27.jpeg  

century is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th June 2024, 20:44   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by century View Post
I.
Does Harrier/Safari's engine has some Fiat blood in it?
Yeah, I mean it is originally a Fiat design but built in a factory run jointly by Tata and Fiat
Harrier/Tata twins mainly suffer from electronics going haywire , the 2.0 Multijet is rock solid
V0id2003 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2024, 21:00   #269
BHPian

Very confidence inspiring as a 2023 Safari owner (pre FL).

It'd be interesting to have the above Harrier's owner write an ownership review reflecting on all the aspects of his Harrier including issues, maintenance etc.
Rodie09 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2024, 00:30   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
Very confidence inspiring as a 2023 Safari owner (pre FL).

It'd be interesting to have the above Harrier's owner write an ownership review reflecting on all the aspects of his Harrier including issues, maintenance etc.
My cousin is the only person in my family who is working in automotive line (Omega Seiki Mobility) right now and loves cars from childhood. I think he's not on team-bhp. I will ask him and try to share his thoughts, issues and experience with his Harrier and Tata service.
century is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks