Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2023, 20:24   #1051
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Elevate Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
Interesting to see the suggestions on how to overtake. I have been driving only ATs for 21 years now and the Honda City CVT for 9 years. All I can say is that it takes some getting used to before you and the car are able to understand each other and you're able to anticipate and handle it right. None of these suggested manoevers are required; the Honda CVT (research it up a bit to understand how they have mated a CVT to gears on this one to minimise rubber band effect and give you the 1-7 speed steps) can accelerate and overtake with absolute ease on highways once you master the way to handle it.
Respectfully disagree to some extent. Yes, the paddle shifters do work, but the overall procedure is not something that is "effortless". You do have to anticipate, calculate (especially 2 lane road) and then undertake the maneuver. With a full load, that is even more necessary. Done this many times in my (ex) City CVT. Suffice to say, MT is a better performance option with the Honda 1.5 engine any day, CVT is comfort oriented. But the biggest problem with the City on the highways, in its stock configuration, are the stilletto like tyres.
fhdowntheline is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2023, 23:12   #1052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doonite View Post
So, you want the forum to be an echo chamber of only positive thoughts and no criticism? It's obvious that not everyone can test drive every car. But, what users can do is form their opinion based on facts provided by credible automotive journalists such as team-bhp and compare them to the their own driving experience of other cars that are not Elevate.

Rather than suggesting the option of a heavily moderated forum, what users can do if they don't like a comment or the tone of it, is to use the report button and mods will take action if necessary. In all my years of visiting multiple online forums and websites, team-bhp is one of the best moderated forums I have come across.
Personally, I don't think the options the other user mentioned fall under moderation.
If I am reading that comment right, they just want to hide certain things for themselves by the help of a software (a button or check mark) rather than moderator deleting it. Will it create an echo chamber? Absolutely. But only for them, not for others.

Its their loss because then they won't be seeing arguments from both sides but only see something that agrees with their viewpoint. A social media type validation but on a forum if that makes sense.

I do agree it is a terrible idea nevertheless because then you won't be having a real conversation. At which point its better to do Google search for reviews than to come here and read thru pages of information. Or better still talk with ChatGPT or Bard - I heard the latest versions are super agreeable to humans and don't counter you the way they used to up until earlier this year
amol4184 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th October 2023, 03:35   #1053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achintatri View Post
I strongly feel that any car(especially an automatic one) has to be a perfect wedding of the engine and the gearbox at any rpm, at any location, at any season and any time of the day.

However looks like majority of the car manufacturers now are more concerned about the goodies that make a car looks appealing rather than spending time and money in making it more fun and output oriented vehicle.
So true man. I completely agree to what you wrote, and please do not mind if I borrow these lines when I am penning down my experience with my Ford Focus which is an automatic. Before, I got her I was strongly against automatics, however one drive and all the words you mentioned above became true. She is nearing 100,000 KM mark.
Mr.Ogre is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th October 2023, 07:38   #1054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Respectfully disagree to some extent. Yes, the paddle shifters do work, but the overall procedure is not something that is "effortless". You do have to anticipate, calculate (especially 2 lane road) and then undertake the maneuver. With a full load, that is even more necessary. Done this many times in my (ex) City CVT. Suffice to say, MT is a better performance option with the Honda 1.5 engine any day, CVT is comfort oriented. But the biggest problem with the City on the highways, in its stock configuration, are the stilletto like tyres.
It does take some time to get used to the CVT for overtaking the vehicles on the highway. A harder press on the A pedal gives a continuous build up of speed with little to no rubber band effect instead of an instant punch from the likes of turbos. The paddle shifter does work quickly if I downshift for more power. (Not used to it yet haven't had shifters before)

If you haven't test driven the Elevate I recommend that you do, there is enough power on tap even when fully loaded.

In my experience, the Kushaq 1.5 had the better performance given the turbo. The Elevate in D mode is still better than the City, and Grand Vitara in terms of throttle input for a quick overtake. (I have done long test drives with the kushaq, City and GV)

When we prioritize performance we are sacrificing comfort. Kushaq does cause a head nod in lower gears and with higher throttle input inconveniencing passengers a bit.

Last edited by ComboCutter : 7th October 2023 at 07:40.
ComboCutter is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th October 2023, 10:12   #1055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nreddy View Post
Experience of shifting from i10 1.2 Sportz 2009 to Elevate ZX CVT 2023:

3. i10 has a very good acceleration in 3rd and 4th gears, capable of overtaking any trucks on the highways easily. Elevate is also overtaking good in the Drive mode, not much difference when compared with i10; Elevate doesn't seem to be much of an upgrade in this regard. May be, I am yet to experiment with the sports mode and paddle shifters more. (As of now only 367 km driven in 14 days). And I didn't experience the much talked "rubber band effect" also till now, it drives smooth for me.
Great unbiased review, and also a good perspective for people looking to go up a couple of segments! My comment below is about your comparison of the acceleration between the i10 1.2 manual and the Elevate 1.5 CVT.

I think people should clearly understand that despite a decent engine, the CVT will hamper the initial acceleration. While this wont make any difference in the city, it will drastically reduce the "fun" factor on the highways.

I think most people buy an automatic because it changes the gears for you. But to have to fiddle around with the gearbox when we need to overtake on the highway is less than ideal, and for inexperienced highway drivers even dangerous.

Most of us spend most of our time in the city so this is not really a deal breaker and I understand some people like to change gears manually on the highway and use the smooth CVT in the city.

If you can make do with a manual transmission, this car is a good proposition. The manual will be a good upgrade over the i10's performance too.
Chrome6Boy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2023, 11:58   #1056
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnu View Post
I got the mud flaps, trunk mat and car cover from the dealer and got the 7D mats from Amazon.

Link - https://amzn.eu/d/7fB8wCh
These mats are of good quality and are a perfect fit.
I didn't know you could pick and choose what you want from Basic Kit.

Did you get from the seller Mecarnic only? Seems like a new seller with mostly bad reviews.
Old 7th October 2023, 12:16   #1057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Other items being considered are the:
Parcel Tray
Isn''t Parcel Tray standard? Or do you mean Cargo Tray?

When I did test drive, I saw the boot space and was very happy to see polycarbonate like lining on boot space, but from the accessory brochure it looks like they fitted Cargo Tray accessory.

Is anyone familiar with the warranty coverage for engine damage due to water logging? I was speaking to Acko on their Engine protection addon and I was told to check if it is already covered (apparent Tata does) as it may not be needed.

Last edited by haridsv : 7th October 2023 at 12:35.
Old 7th October 2023, 13:44   #1058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nreddy View Post
The really missing feature for me is the "Walk away Auto lock along with Windows and Sunroof close", which is available in Honda City.

But in Elevate.. the "Walk away Auto lock" only works.. the windows and Sunroof doesn't get closed automatically.
Congratulations on the new steed
The Honda City doesn't close the windows and sunroof automatically, they close only when you press and hold the lock / unlock button on the key.
CentreOfGravity is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2023, 13:59   #1059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarthiksr View Post
Dealers have received most of the accessories. I visited today and got the details of this. The model is Philips GoSure Video camera GS3201 (Image below). I also saw the TPMS accessory. As per the showroom folks, Honda has informed them that the Philips GoSure is exclusively for Elevate while the TPMS unit can be fitted to any model.

Attachment 2499584
Is anybody able to share feedback on the dashcam? Can the license numbers be made out from the recorded videos and is the app good enough to retrieve them via wifi without having to pull out the SD card?
haridsv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2023, 16:12   #1060
Team-BHP Support

I test drove the Elevate although in thick traffic. It was a bit hurried as I walked in and the car was about to be transferred to the Mysore Road branch.

I was quite impressed with its in-town manners, it was easy to drive, very manoeuvrable, performance was adequate. The seats are not as cosseting as the Audi though. I am planning to replace my Polo and keep the Audi for long trips or rotate cars during commutes. It also felt reasonably solid. What it lacks in features compared to the Koreans makes up in build integrity.

I might book one soon!

Last edited by ajmat : 8th October 2023 at 19:10.
ajmat is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 7th October 2023, 16:36   #1061
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
A CVT works best wirh light throttle inputs and a steady buildup of speed. However it can catch you off guard on highways when you need to quickly pass a larger, heavier vehicle which is also driving at a consistent 70 kph or so. At the time, a gentle push will yield no response, while mashing the pedal down will only create a long howl of protest before the engine summons the required power. It requires higher span of attention to overtake under the circumstances and if its happening frequently , it can be a bit tiresome. Thats an inherent drawback of a CVT, whether you use it on a sedan/ SUV or a smaller hatchback.
That sounds more like a Nissan CVT which is notorious for being the worst CVT implementation out there. I find that Honda's CVTs are better in response and acceleration. Same for Kia's implementation on the Seltos. There is no diesel or turbo petrol like 'push you back in the seat' feeling as the turbo spins up, because well there is no turbo. Even without the wall of torque making your butt dyno think we are accelerating hard, if we look at the meter we will find out that we are accelerating. Driving a manual car with a naturally aspirated petrol engine gives about the same feeling.

In the same scenario you described, a normal 4 speed torque converter car too would also give you a similar response unless it has a lot of low end torque (which means it's either turbocharged or 6 cylinder and above )

You push the pedal down hard and the torque converter will first unlock, the engine will rev up, and then the TC will shift down a gear and then finally accelerate.

In a manual N/A car, you will generally shift down a gear or two before you even begin the overtaking maneuver which means you are already in the right gear before you slam the pedal down. You can do the same thing with automatics as well by jabbing the accelerator a moment before you actually start the overtake. Or you can use the S mode/paddles and force a downshift. Either way, you will be able to overtake quicker.

The only automatic cars I have driven without this limitation are electric cars which instantly provide torque from the electric motors and don't have a transmission to downshift.

Last edited by Cresterk : 7th October 2023 at 16:37.
Cresterk is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th October 2023, 17:28   #1062
Senior - BHPian

I have owned both a Honda CVT and a Nissan CVT (Micra) and also driven the Toyota Altis CVT (2017 model) . Amongst these, the Altis CVT felt the sharpest (reduced rubber band effect) in terms of response to mid-range inputs, followed by Honda and Nissan. I think the response improves with engine size in general. I also incidentally test drove a Hector CVT and found the rubber band effect to be quite muted. Its a different thing that the Hector is such a heavy car that the installed turbocharged engine also feels just about marginal.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 7th October 2023 at 17:30.
fhdowntheline is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th October 2023, 22:03   #1063
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
That sounds more like a Nissan CVT which is notorious for being the worst CVT implementation out there. I find that Honda's CVTs are better in response and acceleration. .
iVtec + CVT is an absolute killjoy, it's okay in the city traffic for smooth progress but if you are trying to get somewhere in a hurry on the highway it does not like getting loaded , you will be wondering if you've accidentally pressed an imaginary clutch and now the gearbox is trying to catch up with the engine.

The only CVT worth owning I think is eCVT equipped Toyota Hybrid vehicles, thankfully they are not CVT in the way we have come to know them.
Old 7th October 2023, 22:45   #1064
BHPian

First Impressions of the Honda Elevate: Three Days Behind the Wheel

Decision cycle:
After nearly a decade of faithful service from my Maruti Ertiga, I decided it was time for an upgrade. Safety, future-proofing, an automatic transmission, and a car that accommodated taller individuals were my top priorities. Last year, I had initially booked the XUV700 AX7L Petrol AT, but two concerns held me back: ongoing niggles and low fuel efficiency.

Earlier this year, I test-drove the 5th generation City and found it almost perfect, with the exception of headroom and ingress/egress. Then came the Honda Elevate, a car I'd been keeping a close eye on since its announcement. Thanks to the valuable insights and debates in this forum, I made my decision. And now, after completing the buying cycle, I'm here to share my initial experiences with the Honda Elevate ZX CVT, which I purchased from Whitefield Honda, Bangalore.

The Buying Experience:
The process of acquiring the car went relatively smoothly, with only a slight delay due to a recent bandh. I opted for basic accessories, a dash cam, and extended warranty. Since it was a weekday, there weren't many other deliveries, allowing my Sales Advisor to take the time to explain various settings and steering controls.

Special thanks to @nreddy for the advice about the car's fuel level. I wasted no time heading to the nearest COCO station to fuel up. The meter read 38.5L - should have been delivered with just 2 liters of fuel!

Observations About the Car:
I'm thoroughly enjoying my experience with the Elevate so far, and while my observations may not offer entirely new perspectives, here are a few insights:

Seat Comfort: The quality of the seats, in terms of firmness, softness, and contouring, is top-notch in both rows. However, I did notice that the driver's seat felt positioned quite low even in the lowest setting, leading to a knee-up position and less under-thigh support. Adjusting the seat height didn't make a significant difference. Nevertheless, at 6'3", I find my driving position comfortable, although I'll have a better sense of this during longer drives.

Engine Performance: The engine operates smoothly and quietly at city speeds. In fact, I found myself checking if the engine was running while parked. During quick accelerations from a standstill, it does make some noise, which quickly settles down. The sports mode offers a distinct, enjoyable sound, and the paddle shift adds an extra layer of fun. At 100 km/h, there was some noticeable tire noise inside the cabin, prompting me to consider switching to sports mode for overtaking on highways.

ADAS: The Lane Keep Assist feature works like a charm on well-marked roads during the daytime. I tried the adaptive cruise control once, but I admit I was a bit puzzled by the set/reset buttons. I received a collision warning on the dashboard twice, once when a scooter unexpectedly overtook me and again when I was at a safe distance from a moving bus on the highway. In both cases, I didn't feel the brakes engaging. The lane-watch camera is incredibly useful and has quickly become my most-used feature. While a 360-degree camera would have been nice, I may not miss it once I get accustomed to the car's dimensions.

Audio System: I'm impressed with the quality of the speakers, even as a casual listener. The ability to customize audio settings, including adjusting volume balance between front and rear rows, is a nice touch. Wireless Android Auto paired seamlessly, although I did notice my phone heating up during use on a couple of occasions.

Climate Control and Lighting: The AC system appears to do its job well, although ventilated seats would have been a welcomed addition. The headlight throw seems adequate for city driving, although I've yet to experience nighttime highway driving. The auto headlamps consistently function as expected.
Accessories:
a) Basic Accessories: I could have saved a few thousand rupees by purchasing mats from an external source. However, some online options suggested by fellow BHPians had delivery lead times, and I didn't want to risk dirtying the carpet in the first few days.
b) Dash Cam: I specifically chose to purchase the dash cam from the dealer to ensure that any electrical work could be covered under warranty. However, it's worth noting that it's currently plugged into the 12V socket!

Overall, I'm quite satisfied with my choice of the Honda Elevate so far. It's been an exciting three days of ownership, and I look forward to many more adventures with this impressive vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Elevate Review-20231004_110212.jpg  

Honda Elevate Review-20231004_110224.jpg  

Honda Elevate Review-20231004_110240.jpg  

autonmus_drivr is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 7th October 2023, 23:07   #1065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
iVtec + CVT is an absolute killjoy, it's okay in the city traffic for smooth progress but if you are trying to get somewhere in a hurry on the highway it does not like getting loaded , you will be wondering if you've accidentally pressed an imaginary clutch and now the gearbox is trying to catch up with the engine.
I'm beginning to doubt if the automatic Elevate I extensively test drove was a CVT gearbox or something else!?

My attempts to overtake vehicles moving between 60 and 80 kmph were nothing short of effortless. Only, I never floored the pedal but gradually accelerated, and the response was more or less commensurate with the input. I didn't even have to use the paddles or shift to S mode, although, when I did slot the lever in S, the Elevate felt more than reasonably powerful.

All I can say, no two people drive the exact same way, and therefore, performance, as perceived by one is likely to be very different from the other.
pannags is offline   (15) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks