Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2023, 16:11   #766
SRV

Re: Honda Elevate Review

I dont understand the pricing. How can someone miss something as simple as cruise control in a car which is going to cost 16L, 17L, 18L OTR.

Cruise control is available only in the top variant which is 20L OTR.

Honestly, who will go for this. Can someone throw some light on this please. Im confused like crazy..
SRV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 16:29   #767
BANNED

I fail to understand why people think that only Honda makes safe, and reliable cars in the segment. Let's talk about reliability, My Grand i10 has already clocked in 1.3L km and is still going strong, and my in-law's 2009 i20 has clocked around 3.2 lakh km, and is still their preferred car. Ownership experience of both the cars has been hassle-free, and very economical. My brother-in-law is using Skoda Kushaq 1.0, and so far it has clocked 72,000kms, and he loves munching more miles on that. Besides my immediate family, I know a lot of people in my circle who own Creta, Seltos, and Brezza with more than 2 lakh km on the odometer, and there is absolutely no problem with their cars. Similarly, I know there might be several bad ownership experiences too, but is it not standard across almost all brands, and segments? Maybe some people are not on the forum who can share their experiences, but generalizing that Koreans are not reliable would be a false statement. Look at the volume of Korean cars, and when you have such high volumes, there will always be some good or bad experiences to share because of more customers (thanks to some notorious dealerships too), but overall as a %age of vehicles sold, there are several happy customers.

Regarding safety, I think Maruti-Suzuki is the gold standard when it comes to making unsafe cars. Personally, in our country, I would be happy with a 3 or 4-star rated car, and focus more on my driving behavior, obeying traffic rules, and making sure that my near ones do that too, etc. rather than having a 5-star certificate and not at all focused on how I or my near ones are driving.

I come from a rural part of India, and we just have one traffic signal in the city, and following that single traffic light is a pain for the majority of people, even for people who own 5-star certificate cars.

Last edited by aseem23 : 5th September 2023 at 16:54.
aseem23 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 16:29   #768
BHPian

Went for a test drive of the Elevate at Whitefield Honda today, on both the manual and CVT versions.
Nowhere does the Elevate feel under-powered.

From a pure driving perspective, both are brilliant, more so the CVT version - especially when driven on S-mode and with judicious use of paddle shifters - is like having the best of both worlds.
Managed to find a comfortable driving position.
The meter console is crisp, the display clear and legible, the ICE good.

However the ommissions are more glaring.
Hard plastics on the dashboard, cheap-looking panels housing the power window controls, non-powered seat controls.

Last but not the least, the rear seat which is very uncomfortable.
I can overlook the lack of under-thigh support (in the guise of 'sufficient' knee-room), but the non-adjustable inclination of the rear seat is simply not acceptable.
I prefer to sit erect, but I found the fixed inclination to be way too much, it can give a back ache in a couple of hours!

The rising floor at the rear does not help either.
Also, as someone has already pointed out, the side bolstering is insufficient, the hard-plastic cladding looks downright cheap.

The (lack of) fit, finish and feeling of luxury compared to a nearly similar-priced City is very evident.

Therefore, with a (not-so) heavy heart, I cancelled my booking and requested the dealer to refund my booking amount at the earliest

Last edited by cpbopanna : 5th September 2023 at 16:38.
cpbopanna is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 16:53   #769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Honda should consider launching a Z version which has all the features of ZX minus ADAS & sunroof, and price it between VX and ZX. It'll find a lot of takers. Both of these "features" are party tricks in my opinion, specifically in Indian conditions. Infact in some driving conditions, ADAS may be outright dangerous. And I have driven multiple cars with sunroof, their practical usage is near zero, but they come with tons of moving parts which are exposed to the elements and are prone to failure.
I think they just messed up the current distribution. Had they just removed the sunroof and lane watch from the VX and added Adaptive Cruise control pricing it at Rs. 13 lakhs (ex showroom), it would have been the perfect trim for most people. Sad. But have not cancelled the booking, Im biting the bullet and going for the VX (50k too much in my opinion). The ZX is overpriced for such a basic and practical focused product. I also prefer the lighter shade of the interior of the lower trims over the brown one.
TribalRoar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 17:05   #770
Senior - BHPian

The launch of the Elevate evokes memories of the Toyota Yaris debut. Toyota introduced an outdated sedan, touting 7 airbags as its unique selling point, relying on Japanese reliability. However, they neglected to incorporate any cutting-edge features such as hybrid technology, leading to the car's discontinuation in just 2-4 years.

I sincerely hope Honda avoids a similar fate. The Elevate's standout features include its robust engine, impressive ground clearance, and possibly its Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS). Nevertheless, I strongly wish they had integrated hybrid technology. It's possible they've chosen to reserve this for the City, their flagship model which still commands some level of respect in the Indian auto circle.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 17:05   #771
BHPian

This is the on-road pricing for Pune received from an SA. The 3rd party PA insurance and the accessories pack can be removed. Rest look essential. Unfortunately the Handling Charges cannot be removed and apparently Honda has allowed all dealers to charge this as logistics charges for delivering the vehicle from the factory to the customer.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Elevate Review-whatsapp-image-20230905-12.23.04-pm.jpeg  

Djay is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 17:39   #772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRV View Post
How can someone miss something as simple as cruise control in a car which is going to cost 16L, 17L, 18L OTR.

Honestly, who will go for this. Can someone throw some light on this please. Im confused like crazy..
To increase your confusion, Hycross GX Petrol costing 22L, XUV 700 AX5 costing 20L (all prices on road) and many other cars do not have this feature. And there is a long line of buyers at least for Hycross (GX included). Cruise control is not the entire life of a car.

Last edited by NH08 : 5th September 2023 at 18:00.
NH08 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 17:48   #773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH08 View Post
Many thanks for pointing this out. To increase your confusion, Hycross GX Petrol costing 22L, XUV 700 AX5 costing 20L (all prices on road) and many other cars do not have this feature. And there is a long line of buyers at least for Hycross (GX included). Cruise control is not the entire life of a car.
Cruise control is "good to have on day one and never use later" feature!
I have Cruise control on my Honda City and I rarely used it in last 8 years of ownership.
What we need is adaptive cruise control than regular one, regular one is as good as nothing
pravint is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 18:59   #774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRV View Post
I dont understand the pricing. How can someone miss something as simple as cruise control in a car which is going to cost 16L, 17L, 18L OTR.

Cruise control is available only in the top variant which is 20L OTR.

Because Honda has added adaptive CC and as an ADAS only feature. Btw I love the feature and it comes to good use on new Indian highways but after using regular CC I see why adaptive CC makes much more sense.
Old 5th September 2023, 19:27   #775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarthiksr View Post
If possible, can you please check with your dealer regarding the model number or any specific details on the video recording camera accessory mentioned in the price sheet and update here? Accessories brochure says its a Philips product, but there is no clarity on what is the actual product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoozingpirate View Post
Will check and confirm.

Dealers have received most of the accessories. I visited today and got the details of this. The model is Philips GoSure Video camera GS3201 (Image below). I also saw the TPMS accessory. As per the showroom folks, Honda has informed them that the Philips GoSure is exclusively for Elevate while the TPMS unit can be fitted to any model.

Honda Elevate Review-20230905_181222.jpg
skarthiksr is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 19:39   #776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarthiksr View Post
Dealers have received most of the accessories. I visited today and got the details of this. The model is Philips GoSure Video camera GS3201 (Image below). I also saw the TPMS accessory. As per the showroom folks, Honda has informed them that the Philips GoSure is exclusively for Elevate while the TPMS unit can be fitted to any model.

Attachment 2499584
Finally a DashCam as offical accessory. No worry about loss of warranty .. I hope.

If anyone gets more details on this. Please share. Thanks.
SedateGuy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 19:56   #777
BHPian

Honda Elevate pricing is just like how the SUV looks, neither the best nor the dud, some like it and some loathe it, in general likable by many.

In fact I didn't want to see Elevate till the price reveal on 4th Sep, but after seeing a lot of reviews about inadequate space for 3 adults in rear seat, I couldn't stop myself from visiting Magnum Honda on Kanakapura Road on Sunday, though I have booking in Dakshin Honda. Dakshin Honda lagging behind in everything, they don't even have a display whereas all of other Honda showrooms got one.

Sunday evening 3.30pm, hardly few families were around the display of Elevate, City and an Amaze. Orange Elevate MT top end was at display, from front and rear looked better than in videos and pictures. Side profile is most disappointing for me, looks very small like sub 4 meter and very ordinarily bland.

As I get older, reliability, customer care, safety, creature comforts and ease of maintenance becomes priority over the bling and unneccesary technological features. After novelty factor dies down, all that matters is how is car connected with the driver on day-to-day drives.

Lot of things have been detailed out by many, I won't go over again.

What is important for me: Safety, "necessary" features, a well priced SUV from a reliable brand, which can accomodate 5 people in comfort.

What did I find:
  • Safety ==> Hopefully good based on City's GNCAP and platform
  • "necessary" features ==> Happy with whats on ZX CVT
  • price ==> I would say competent if not aggressive
  • reliable brand ==> HONDA
  • 5 people in comfort ==> Here comes the big disappointment - even though we are medium built, my wife, son and I were not sitting comfortably at rear, shoulders were brushing, with high discomfort I was sitting on middle hump, elevated footwell created low under thigh support for all passengers, I don't think we can sit like this for long journeys.
Tight on shoulder space:
Honda Elevate Review-reartightspacefor3.jpeg

Look at the hump:
Honda Elevate Review-midhump1.jpeg

Impossible to sit on it more than 30 mins:
Honda Elevate Review-midhump2.jpeg

Rear seat measurements in a straight line:
Honda Elevate Review-measuringrearspace.jpeg
  • Elevate rear seat backrest width 45" and seating width 50"
  • My wife's Nano rear seat backrest width 45" and seating width 45"
  • My Duster rear seat backrest width 51" and seating width 54"
  • My friend's Kushaq rear seat backrest width 45" and seating width 45"

Came out tad disappointing, however, I want to take a proper test drive before to cancel.
hummer is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 20:38   #778

I agree with people saying it's a tad overpriced. People do shop across segments. I am currently looking for a 2nd car and my main 3 considerations were safety, performance, and high GC (to tackle rural India) under 20 lakhs OTR.
My main considerations are VW Virtus, XUV300, and Honda Elevate (ignoring City because of GC).
With these prices, things have become more murky. 2 lakhs more and I can get a much more performance-oriented sedan with proven safety. And if I want to save some money then XUV300 (D) gives me better performance and proven safety for 1.5 lakhs less.
The only thing going for Honda it seems is reliability. Had the ZX been priced 80-90 thousand less (ex-showroom) Elevate would have been a sure purchase!
Hilly_lad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 20:52   #779
BHPian

Noticing so many people comparing the Elevate to the Brezza, Venue etc. Just because there is a price overlap with the base and higher models doesn't mean it is a fair comparison.

Should I start comparing the Fronx 1.0AT Alpha(15.4 lacs) with the Seltos? Will that be fair?

Those who feel the Elevate doesn't offer much more than the Brezza maybe need to widen their knowledge about car segments and platforms. Also just drive both cars back to back and hopefully they will be enlightened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer View Post
  • Elevate rear seat backrest width 45" and seating width 50" ...
  • My friend's Kushaq rear seat backrest width 45" and seating width 45"
Came out tad disappointing, however, I want to take a proper test drive before to cancel.
No reason to be disappointed, all of the CSUV's have space only for 4+1 child. If you're looking for a genuine 3 seater rear bench, only the XUV300 will satisfy your needs.
John316_WRC is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 21:17   #780
BHPian

Quote:
It gets two adjustable headrests and a lap belt for the middle passenger with ISOFIX child seat anchors on both sides:
Does this mean an ISOFIX compatible car seat can be installed in the middle as well? Could someone please confirm? This is very important as the middle seat is the safest for kids.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks