Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2024, 23:21   #1831

Re: Honda Elevate Review

Hello everyone

It has been over 7 months since my family has had the Elevate CVT,just shy of the 10000 km mark. It's due for the 3rd service shortly.Should I be worried about the transmission oil change now or get it done at the 20k service ? The car's running is primarily in the stop-go traffic of Bangalore.Kindly advise

Thanks in advance
Old 13th June 2024, 23:41   #1832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohantn View Post
Hi,

Quick question about driving to Ooty and negotiating the 36 hair pin bends.

I was watching a video on Youtube which showed that on left hand bends, buses take the hairpin bend by driving on the right, so as to get more clearance.
Hence traffic from the opposite direction was also advised to drive on the right, to get past the buses.

Is that a good practice?
I believe this is quite specific to the situation. You will have to use your best judgement at that moment. Most of the hairpin bends I experienced while going to Ooty last month had sufficient space at the curve for two vehicles to pass simultaneously. But of course, buses do need to use 100% width of the road to make that hairpin bend.

The strategy I follow is to slow down and verify oncoming traffic. This is easier while going down but harder while going up. I prefer to wait at a safe distance and let the other vehicle pass. Honda Elevate has hill start assist, so I don't mind coming to a standstill on a slope. This strategy works well for me and applies to all kinds of vehicles including buses and trucks. Do note that I am a novice and my driving style is quite defensive.

Thankfully, most of the hairpin bends on the Ooty route (via Masinagudi) have large reflective mirrors on the curve which makes negotiating the turn much easier. Kudos to the Tamil Nadu government for that.
amandal1810 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2024, 23:48   #1833
BHPian

Folks, the walk away auto lock feature does not seem to work for me. Do I need to somehow enable it explicitly? Does it work for others?
Old 14th June 2024, 07:04   #1834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandal1810 View Post
Some car photographs at our stay:
Nice travelogue plus car review. What is the name of the place you stayed in Ooty ?
AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2024, 08:48   #1835
BHPian

Quote:
Relaxed Road Trip to Ooty

This is the fourth road trip with the Honda Elevate. Got done with the second servicing last month.
I have been to Ooty through both the ways but I feel that the Route through Gudalur is better as it is a gradual ascend to Ooty. The route through Kalhatty is a very steep incline which leads to extra stress on Engine & Clutch Plates.

Thank you for informing about E-Pass requirement to enter Ooty. I am planning to visit Ooty this monsoon and will plan accordingly.

Honda Elevate's big grill/nose looks cool and reminds of early generations of Landrover.
Apex1815 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2024, 10:05   #1836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonRider View Post
Hello everyone

It has been over 7 months since my family has had the Elevate CVT,just shy of the 10000 km mark. It's due for the 3rd service shortly.Should I be worried about the transmission oil change now or get it done at the 20k service ? The car's running is primarily in the stop-go traffic of Bangalore.Kindly advise

Thanks in advance
Please, absolutely get it changed. This has to be a standard practice. Your car will thank you and reward you in the long run.
bsdbsd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2024, 10:43   #1837
Senior - BHPian

Drove a 10k done well maintained Elevate AT.

Not just the best but beats everyone by a margin in rear leg room. Obviously partially this is due to limited front seat travel but keeping all aside; its the best rear leg room. Under no situations, rear passenger knee will ever touch front seat. But front passengers above 6" need to really check if they can adjust as the front seat travel is truly limited.

Mainly a 4 seater - comparable to EU competition. Seat curves better than Koreans. Outward visibility is decently good. Under thigh not great as EU twins but on par with Koreans.

You can really feel the elevation in additional ride height of an inch when compared to Koreans, EU competition. can see every bonnet curve.

Music system and controls of 10" inch screen are acceptable. Occasionally you may miss a subwoofer but music quality is acceptable with 8 speakers (4 + 4). cant complain.

Interiors borderline acceptable even for top model. But I think its the same in the segment for almost all.

Now on the drive, neither is it the most comfortable on rough urban cracks nor sporty. No it just isn't right. There is a lot of sideways movement maybe due to the 220 GC. Can feel it even without noticing. Feels more Hectorish than the competition. Its really a let down. It just does not ride cushy nor flat on any roads. Speed breakers are not an issue though and there are no thuds in the cabin.

The EU cousins AT Gearboxes and power delivery is vastly superior (city, urban highway - anywhere). The Elevate gearbox feel is not just rubberband but a stressed rubberband even on city overtakes. Nowhere feels nimble like the City. You can sense the lack of power. The 1.0 turbos are definitely superior and 1.5 turbos are a different league altogether.

Price-wise its a full 1+ lakh cheaper cheaper than EU competition but EU competition always has some discounts. Its nearly 80k cheaper than Koreans as well. But Koreans have panaroma view as a big draw.

Overall, this Honda feels more Chinese than Japanese from sentiment perspective. In its current avatar, don't think it can turn the fortunes of Honda India. It still needs to reduce price to really force the sub-compact buyers to upgrade for less money for more car. It wont be able to compete with the fierce competition neither in ride quality nor on features, neither in engine nor on FE. This is the first time, a Honda is priced lowest in its segment against the competition, and rightly there are justified reasons as well which even Honda couldnt ignore.
dipen is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 14th June 2024, 11:38   #1838
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Folks, the walk away auto lock feature does not seem to work for me. Do I need to somehow enable it explicitly? Does it work for others?
In the Honda City, this has to be enabled through MID settings. I believe Elevate should have a similar arrangement.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2024, 17:35   #1839
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Quick question about driving to Ooty and negotiating the 36 hair pin bends.

I was watching a video on Youtube which showed that on left hand bends, buses take the hairpin bend by driving on the right, so as to get more clearance.
Hence traffic from the opposite direction was also advised to drive on the right, to get past the buses.

Is that a good practice?
If you are driving into a hairpin bend and see a bus bearing down on your side (left), would it be better to wait for the bus to complete the turn and move to it's left, or would you change lanes to the right and try to get past the bus on the wrong side?

Hope I explained the scenario clearly... :-)

See video above illustrating what I have asked in the question.
The video language is in tamil.

But if you look at 3:00 - 3:05 time on the video, you will see an illustration of what I am asking about. You see a bus passing on the right after the hair pin bend.

Question is, is this an acceptable practice?
What if there is another oncoming vehicle ahead on the right?
rohantn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2024, 18:30   #1840
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But if you look at 3:00 - 3:05 time on the video, you will see an illustration of what I am asking about. You see a bus passing on the right after the hair pin bend.

Question is, is this an acceptable practice?
What if there is another oncoming vehicle ahead on the right?
I was once visiting my sister and BIL in Bangalore. We made a plan to dive to Ooty in their car. Since my BIL was a novice driver back then, I took the wheel. While returning, on a hairpin bend, to my utter shock I faced an identical situation with a bus hurtling towards us at the blind turn, ready to climb the slope. I had to move to the right side of the road to avoid it.

I don't think this should be an acceptable practice. I understand that large buses have large overhangs and to accommodate it, they do it but all my life I have lived at Ranchi with driving on ghats all around it. Never seen such a practice. I have also driven & ridden extensively in the North-East India like Sikkim and Meghalaya. The discipline they have is to be seen. The only exception I encountered in Sikkim was a large MAN truck driving on the right side of the road to avoid the open trench and possibly to avoid the mammoth causing a landslide by going at the edge.

So, Ooty was the only ghat where I faced such situation. But if you know about this driving practice in prior, then moving to the other side swiftly should not spring a nasty surprise- but definitely not acceptable in my opinion.

Last edited by saket77 : 14th June 2024 at 18:33.
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2024, 18:50   #1841
BHPian

Quick Update on the Wireless Android Auto/CarPlay Disconnection Issue:

Honda recently released a software update claiming to resolve the disconnection problem, but even after applying the update, the issue persists. Upon closer observation, the disconnections occur at specific locations along the route, suggesting that the problem may be caused by external radio interference. When I reported that the update did not fix the issue, Honda responded that the disruptions are due to external factors beyond their control and not a defect in their device.

Further research revealed that all cars equipped with Wireless Android Auto/CarPlay experience similar issues, regardless of the brand. This indicates that the problem is not unique to the Honda Elevate but is a common technological challenge that we may have to accept.

There is also a thread discussing this issue in more detail.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...ch-road-2.html (Android Auto disconnects only on a particular 100m stretch of road)

Honda Elevate Review-screenshot_12.png
akhilshenay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2024, 19:15   #1842
Senior - BHPian

Booked

I booked a Honda Elevate from Solitaire Honda last week. Today I did a pre-registration inspection and the car has gone for registration. I should be taking delivery of my brand spanking new Elevate in 4/5 working days.

A little background: We started looking around for a new car for the past 6 months. My trusted brio - now 12 years old was beginning to ask questions from us - and few minor suspension and driving rack related issues started cropping up. Thats when I got serious about the car purchase. Initial budget was around 15 lacs and the cars considered were:

1. Maruti Grand Vitara: We test drove the car, but I was not impressed with the fit/finish and the overall feel of the car. The only two things going for the Maurti was the brand maruti and the sunroof, rest all it felt like - a bigger maruti.

2. Skoda Kushaq: The 1.0 was never an options as the car felt out of breath. The 1.5 TSI AT with DSG is a hoot to drive and loaded to the brim with features. Everything is good here. But the price - the top end was almost 24 lacs on road. that was dropeed due to the price.

3. MG Astor: The Astor NA and Turbo - both were test driven. The car is loaded wtih features. The Turbo felt better than the N/A Astor, but i found the steering to be absolutely weird. I could not beleive the Steerign wheel was connected to anything, it felt too disconnected and too cold. The price was also working out, but it was the steering that put me off.

4. The Hyundia Creta: I was getting the AT was 19 lacs, I could have pushed and gone for it, but I just could not push myself to buy the creta. This car had everything going for it, but maybe - just maybe this car is so popular, i felt that I would not have a unique car .

5. Used cars: I also explored used cars, I had a gem of a 2019 Octavia - for around 16/16.5 lacs. The car had done 44 k and was in almost perfect condition. But family pushed me to not go for a used car.

Keeping all of the above in mind, we eventually booked the Elevate

Booking was a smooth process, I opted for my own election. Got savings of around 60k in all.

Delivery in the next 5 days.

Lets hope for the best

Best,
AC
ac 427 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 15th June 2024, 02:10   #1843
BHPian

Quote:
This feature is off by default. You can enable by going to Settings - Door setup - Walk Away Lock. It works flawlessly if all the doors are properly shut.
beez is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2024, 07:30   #1844
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilshenay View Post
Quick Update on the Wireless Android Auto/CarPlay Disconnection Issue:

Honda recently released a software update claiming to resolve the disconnection problem, but even after applying the update, the issue persists. Upon closer observation, the disconnections occur at specific locations along the route, suggesting that the problem may be caused by external radio interference. When I reported that the update did not fix the issue, Honda responded that the disruptions are due to external factors beyond their control and not a defect in their device.
This might be true. My Elevate reliably loses its connectivity on a stretch of Residency Road between Brigade Road and Taj Vivanta
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2024, 14:19   #1845
BHPian

How is the expereince with Honda's official TPMS for any of you?. Does it have an alerting feature either on mobile or on infotainment system?. if there is no alerting inside the car directly, do you guys think having a TPMS even makes sense? In that case, would it make sense to go with other vendor ones with a display inside the car?.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks