Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2024, 23:36   #1711
BHPian

Re: Honda Elevate Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhav_a_a View Post
Hello Hondadriver

I read your posts with great interest. I'm contemplating similar changes if I get an elevate. It will be MT, possibly SV. Could you pls share the details of the workshop you have got your seat covers and speakers fitted from. I'd have PM'd you but somehow it doesn't seem enabled.

Thanks in advance
Vaibhav
Hi Vaibhav. I got them done from Bob's Auto Mall in Gurgaon. They are on Atul Kataria Chowk.

Since my status is "Newbie", the PM'ing is not enabled, I think.
hondadriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2024, 06:40   #1712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadriver View Post
Interior Mods to my Silver V-MT:

3) Replaced the stock speakers with Infinity Reference components in the front and Infinity Ref coaxial in the rear. The speakers can get on the car door frame without any drilling if a coupler is used (that's what I got).

4) Got a single layer of door damping from Infinity. This combined with replacing the stock Goodyears with Continental UC6s has made the cabin way quieter. Even quieter than my 4th Gen facelifted Honda City.
Can you let me know the costs for the two things? Thanks.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 7th April 2024 at 09:14. Reason: Typos
Old 7th April 2024, 08:36   #1713
BHPian

Quote:
Interior Mods to my Silver V-MT:
4) Got a single layer of door damping from Infinity. This combined with replacing the stock Goodyears with Continental UC6s has made the cabin way quieter. Even quieter than my 4th Gen facelifted Honda City.
Thank you for sharing your mods! I've been waiting for someone to get the Elevate damped and provide their feedback, since I'm confused between a Creta 1.5 IVT and Elevate 1.5 CVT. Every review of the CVT mentions the poor noise insulation.

I know that yours is a manual, but have you considered getting the floor damped? I've been wondering what more could be done. We can't do anything about the wheel wells I guess, what about the engine bay with aluminium sheets? Something like that comes in my Polo TSI from factory.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 7th April 2024 at 09:13. Reason: Typos
Old 7th April 2024, 10:06   #1714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMonkey View Post
Thank you for sharing your mods! I've been waiting for someone to get the Elevate damped and provide their feedback, since I'm confused between a Creta 1.5 IVT and Elevate 1.5 CVT. Every review of the CVT mentions the poor noise insulation.

I know that yours is a manual, but have you considered getting the floor damped? I've been wondering what more could be done. We can't do anything about the wheel wells I guess, what about the engine bay with aluminium sheets? Something like that comes in my Polo TSI from factory.
In my opinion, the sound insulation is fine in my V-MT. This is probably due to a combo of these factors:
1) I have 16" wheels so road noise is lesser due to bigger sidewalls.
2) I replaced the Goodyears with Continental UC6s. This made a huge difference.
3) Single damping in doors made it even better.

With these mods, it is way quieter than my 4th gen Honda city. That too rides on Continental UC6s and has double damping in doors.

I never thought of getting any other insulation done (floor, engine bay etc), so I can't comment on that.

Maybe the standards on cabin noise isolation have massively changed in the last 3 years. And I am missing something. But IMHO, the sound insulation is fine for my pay grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarediAni7518 View Post
Can you let me know the costs for the two things? Thanks.
Seat covers ~ 11k
Side covers with same material as seat covers ~ 3k
Infinity Refs (components in front, coaxial in back) ~ 16k
Damping ~ 5k

Last edited by KarthikK : 7th April 2024 at 10:13. Reason: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the same thread. Thanks!
hondadriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2024, 23:59   #1715
BHPian

A short ownership review from my perspective:

Purchased Elevate VX MT variant last month. This review is mostly a subjective one. My old car is a 2008 Maruti Swift (Petrol) car and using it for 16 years. I am retaining it because I still love its engine.

Before I jump into my review of Elevate, I like to touch briefly on why I went with Elevate. I had two MAJOR requirements for the new car.

1) Ownership would be for more than 10 years. So reliability and cost of ownership are the most important factors.
2) For a good long term ownership, Service and support must be good.
3) No diesel nor pure electric.
4) Must be a bigger and comfortable car compared to my old car.

Based on the above two factors, I had no choice other than choosing a car with Naturally Aspirated (NA) petrol engine. They are reliable and cheap to maintain as well in long run. So, I ruled out the turbo petrol based ones. Also, I am not a fan of driving fast with neck snapping acceleration. I prefer relaxed cruising and strictly follow the defensive style of driving. I strongly believe that it is a VERY BIG PRIVILEGE for anyone to drive on the roads because it involves other people’s precious lives. Of course, this is applicable to all irrespective of the type of car one owns.

Based on my budget, the choices listed are :-
1) Maruti Brezza
2) Honda Elevate

Even though I didn’t list cars from other brands, it doesn’t mean they are inferior. It is purely based on my personal preference.

While Brezza was my first preference as it meets all the above requirements much better than Honda Elevate (due to excellent after sales support of Maruti), my family preferred Elevate because of the brand image. They wanted something outside the Maruti family as we already owned a Maruti car.

Now, coming to the review part:

A) Certainly, Elevate looks unique. The rear looks like any other cross suv cars available in the market. I do somehow like the rear portion of Brezza a bit more.

B) I am not a big fan of having so many features except for a few minimal stuff. My personal opinion is that the car manufacturers should invest more on the QC than on the features. In a way, Elevate VX (or even the V model) has enough features. A few features like sunroof, the G meter display, automatic ON/OFF and a few more are not very much important for me. A 360 degree camera would have been a preferred choice for me. Similarly, having 6 airbags across the variants would have been the best thing for Honda to do right from the product launch. Till last month, there was no news of Honda providing 6 airbags for all the variants. Other wise I would have waited for a couple of months more. Any way, no point in breaking the head for a thing which has already happened.

C) The interiors look like a big upgrade for me. Of course I have seen City owners not so impressed with the Elevate’s interior. As I am coming from a 16 year old Swift, the interiors of Elevate look premium. The overall layout looks more simple, elegant, near and not flashy. One thing which I disliked in the VX variant is the use of fabric cloth at the door side armrest. To keep my greed at bay, even a basic plastic would have been a good choice (similar to V model).

D) I always have a liking for smooth engines. It is for this reason I hate the diesel cars
Honda elevate engine is silky smooth just like the swift’s engine. Even after 16 years, my Swift engine is as smooth as a new engine.
The engine noise is heard inside when the revs climb because of inadequate NVH levels dampening. Personally, I don’t see it as a problem.

E) Considering the engine break-in period, I am keeping the revs not exceeding 2500 rpm. So I am yet to experience how the car behaves when crossing 3000 rpm. As I am a slow driver , I am not going to test the kicking in of vtec. My driving will be predominantly under 3000 rpm. I also don’t expect Elevate to be significantly faster than my current Swift because both have identical power to weight ratio. One thing I can say is that Elevate has a shorter gearing ratio compared to Swift. This for the entire gear range (right first gear to the top most gear). It means the in-gear acceleration will be slightly better than Swift. Of course the difference might be significantly bigger at higher revs. The common thing between Elevate and Swift is the high revving nature of their engines. Swift engine (G13B) can rev close to 7000 rpm and Elevate can rev above 7000 rpm. End of the day, I will not using the top end rev range unless there is a need for a very quick overtaking. I can only boast about it

F) I find the 6th gear lacking torque when less than 2200/2300 rpm. With 4 people in the car and with AC, the car speed decreases if there is an uphill slope. When giving more gas, the response is lethargic. This is the case for most of the NA petrol engines. Of course I haven’t tested how the response will be when the rev is above 3000 rpm in 6th gear. The response in 5th and 5th gear is relatively much better compared to the 6th gear.

H) With various media reports quoting less fuel efficiency for the MT version, I am able to get close to 19 kmpl. Some times, it has even touched 20 kmpl. Again, I am keeping the engines rev just around 2500 rpm. The only downside I see is the 40 litres tank capacity. I feel Honda should have given at least 45 litres tank capacity. Any way, this may not be a deal breaker for many.

I) The most liked part is the ride quality. It is excellent to say the least. The car just glides over the road undulations and potholes. I am in love with the way the suspension has been setup. With the engine being ultra smooth and the ride quality being comfortable, it will be good driving experience.

J) Audio setup: With 4 speakers and 2 tweeter, , I didn’t find the audio to be lacking in anything. They are neither great nor bad. The audio system is sufficiently good in my opinion.

————————
There are some negatives with Elevate.

The first thing is the NVH levels. The tires make some noise. It is not bothering me much though I would have preferred a much quieter cabin.

The wipers look very cheap. Not expected on a 15L+ car. Need to see how effective they are during the rains.
Honda Elevate Review-img_2354.jpeg

The bonnet panel gap is slightly wider. Honda Elevate Review-img_2340.jpeg

——————-

Accessories installed:
- Used the OEM seat cover from Honda and it looks good.Honda Elevate Review-img_2343.jpegHonda Elevate Review-img_2342.jpeg

- Didn’t opt for either PPF or ceramic coating. I will use Collinite 845 once in a while to keep the car paint shining.

- Purchased viofo A229 plus dash cam (dual channel)

I am not intending to add any other accessories or modify anything further which may void the warranty. I like to keep things to the minimal.

I have opted for an additional warranty (2 years over and above the 3 year original warranty).

——-
To summarise, Honda elevate is a sensible family car for sedate driving. Though it is claimed to be meant for urban riding, one can very well use it for long distance touring with good comfort.Honda Elevate Review-img_2351.jpeg
shan_ned is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 8th April 2024, 10:32   #1716
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_ned View Post

E) Considering the engine break-in period, I am keeping the revs not exceeding 2500 rpm. So I am yet to experience how the car behaves when crossing 3000 rpm.
Even I was curious to know how it behaves after watching Faisal Khan's review.

I recently tried that on highways and empty city roads. Man, it's a magnetic pull from other direction. You just need to control otherwise the car can fly as much as you accelerate.

I used sports mode(CVT). You need to get used to engine grunts for that but to me it was a sporty melody, I mute the music at high revs. The mileage will also take a hit.

Perfectly summed up review. I almost concur to each and every point you made from OEM's should not focus more on extra features but QC & 6 airbags should have been a priority.

Tyre noise is spoiling the party. Somebody should find a way to reduce it.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 8th April 2024 at 11:26. Reason: Please proofread posts before submitting. Thanks.
positivemks is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 9th April 2024, 10:26   #1717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by positivemks View Post

I recently tried that on highways and empty city roads. Man, it's a magnetic pull from other direction. You just need to control otherwise the car can fly as much as you accelerate.
With close to 120 bhp at higher revs, I can understand what the experience would be when redlining the engine. As said before, I prefer keeping the revs under a limit as I enjoy stress free cruising more than going fast.

Wanted to share a quick update about the first service. The first service is a general check up and nothing more. I was informed that Honda will be releasing a firmware update for the infotainment system to address the Android connect issue and it will be done sometime in June this year. So the Elevate owners can keep a watch for any updates from their respective svcs.

I like to suggest a few things for new buyers:
- Apart from the customary PDI inspection, please instruct the dealership to check the air pressure before they deliver the car. When I got my car delivered, the air pressure for all the tyres was 39 psi. I had to reduce it (33 psi for the front and 32 psi for the rear).
- A few dealers apply some sort of polish to the dashboard and to all the black plastic claddings, including the front grille. I am not 100% sure whether that polish (or some sort of used engine oil ?) is good for the black plastic in long run. Yes, it looks attractive with the shine, but it may make the plastic look bad after some time. This is my suspicion and so I asked the svc not to apply anything inside the dashboard and on other black plastic claddings.
Just regular cleaning with a wet cloth will be good enough to maintain the look. So if you too have some doubts about the polish used, please instruct your dealer not to apply it during car delivery and also during the service.
shan_ned is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2024, 07:25   #1718
BHPian

I was driving Elevate yesterday. At a Uturn, i was slowly creeping ahead may be at ~ 10–20 kmph, as other cars and bikes were taking Uturn and i was intending to go straight. Out of the blue, collision mitigation system kicked in and braked violently and unnecessarily. Volvo XC60 behind me almost rear ended me. It was a scary experience, and now i am determined to switch off ADAS every time i start my car. This is such a major inconvenience. I did not expect ADAS to be this bad. As a cheeky jugaad, i was wondering what would happen if i just put a sticker on top of the wind shield at that ADAS camera. Will it permanently disable ADAS?

Last edited by sud153 : 10th April 2024 at 07:28.
sud153 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2024, 11:26   #1719
BHPian

My 1st service (1000km) is coming up shortly. I know its just a cursory inspection of a service.

Should I get the engine oil changed in this service? I have done this for all cars I have purchased new.

Is Honda using synthetic oil as standard in elevate?

What do you guys think?
Old 10th April 2024, 13:54   #1720

Quote:
My 1st service (1000km) is coming up shortly. I know its just a cursory inspection of a service.

Should I get the engine oil changed in this service? I have done this for all cars I have purchased new.

What do you guys think?
There is no oil change requirement at 1000. It will only be done at 10,000 km or one year.
You can also check all 3 types of oil available at service center. Also you can check service cost at below link.
https://www.hondacarindia.com/honda-...of-maintenance
Old 10th April 2024, 22:26   #1721
BHPian

Quote:

If you insist on changing the oil during the first service, the svc will do it. I think the new cars coming out of the factory are filled with the mineral oil. Suggestion is to run the new engine with the mineral oil until the 3rd service (at the first 1 year/10000 kms) and then move to synthetic engine oil. Another option is to run with mineral oil at least till the 2nd service which is at 6 months/5000 kms (even though this is not mandated as per Honda).

For your reference, I am pasting a paragraph from one of the team bhp threads.

No synthetics during the running-in period: Wear and tear is actually good for a new engine. Synthetic oil, with its superior lubricating properties, hinders the running-in process and is best used only after 10,000 – 15,000 km.

The above is a general suggestion I heard many times even though I haven’t come across any scientific test data to support it. Still I will say to go with this recommendation.
shan_ned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2024, 22:58   #1722

Quote:
Originally Posted by sud153 View Post
I was driving Elevate yesterday. At a Uturn, i was slowly creeping ahead may be at ~ 10–20 kmph, as other cars and bikes were taking Uturn and i was intending to go straight. Out of the blue, collision mitigation system kicked in and braked violently and unnecessarily. Volvo XC60 behind me almost rear ended me. It was a scary experience, and now i am determined to switch off ADAS every time i start my car. This is such a major inconvenience. I did not expect ADAS to be this bad. As a cheeky jugaad, i was wondering what would happen if i just put a sticker on top of the wind shield at that ADAS camera. Will it permanently disable ADAS?
I have faced two such incidents already owing to the awkward CMBS braking Turning off the Adas functions for Bangalore traffic is recommended honestly.
Old 11th April 2024, 14:50   #1723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonRider View Post
I have faced two such incidents already owing to the awkward CMBS braking Turning off the Adas functions for Bangalore traffic is recommended honestly.
Yes. I wish Honda gave permanent switch-off option. Does City gets any such option?.
Another different question. Did anyone try Wired android auto with Elevate?. I don't see my mobile getting detected through wired route, it is getting detected only through wireless route. I wanted to try the wired route, due to the wireless Android auto issues.
Old 11th April 2024, 17:35   #1724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sud153 View Post
Yes. I wish Honda gave permanent switch-off option. Does City gets any such option?.
Unfortunately no. I religiously turn off ADAS before driving off, each and every time.
rajivr1612 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2024, 05:13   #1725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_ned View Post
I think the new cars coming out of the factory are filled with the mineral oil. Suggestion is to run the new engine with the mineral oil until the 3rd service (at the first 1 year/10000 kms) and then move to synthetic engine oil.
No synthetics during the running-in period: Wear and tear is actually good for a new engine. Synthetic oil, with its superior lubricating properties, hinders the running-in process and is best used only after 10,000 – 15,000 km.

I had checked this with a service manager at Honda. From Oct'22 all new Honda are factory filled with their synthetic 2.0. Prior to Oct'22 it was mineral oil. So your new cars already have synthetic 2.0.

Regarding the statement in bold. There is no science to this in the current age. It is an archaic thing. Worldwide most cars that are considered to be semi premium or above come with synthetic oils as standard and recommended. My suggestion is to go with synthetic 2.0 only. However Honda gives multiple options depending on budgets so customer is free to choose.
M5_fan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks