Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2024, 00:34   #2536
BHPian

Re: 2023 Kia Seltos Facelift Review

Seems like it’s raining Seltos’ on Team BHP. Anyways we got the diesel GTX+ in may and so far the car feels marginally better than our 18 Creta. Dad loves the convenience of automatic but I feel that there’s no significant bump considering the 8 lakh difference. But the features offered make it up for a layman like me and the car’s definitely a Stunner.2023 Kia Seltos Facelift Review-img_1939.jpeg
Abhi5868 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 11:32   #2537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharathgr View Post
The infotainment unit is form MOBIS (Tier 1 of Hyundai). Having developed software for them in the past and also infotainment systems, i doubt that wireless AA/CP has anything do with the maps.

Screen scraping is a seperate OS process and requires high performance from the wifi & it antennas. For the 2.4 Ghz spectrum Wifi & BT chipsets sometimes use mutliplexed antennae and the performance here is lower, leading to unstable high transfer rates. Wireless AA requires both BT and Wifi.

Also it could be the case that the larger unit is not stable or they are not able to stablize as yet only with software/driver updates.
Thanks for this. But for non-techis like us, please can you explain in simpler language what exactly may be the issue and if there is any fix to this? What changes should KIA/Hyundai do to offer this in higher trims?

Thank you
Old 23rd July 2024, 13:47   #2538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTX+ View Post
Thanks for this. But for non-techis like us, please can you explain in simpler language what exactly may be the issue and if there is any fix to this? What changes should KIA/Hyundai do to offer this in higher trims?

Thank you
In wireless CP/AA you are streaming the content to be displayed as video from your phone (Sort of). It is also called as phone projection or mirroring. This obviously requires not only high transfer rates but also consistent transfer rates.

Wifi is available in both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz spectrum. The issue with 2.4 Ghz is that many other wireless protocols share the same crowded spectrum (BT, RF Wireless Mouse/Keyboard,Zigbee,..). Android auto requires both Wifi and BT to be connected at the same time.

The AVN (Audio video Navigation) system from MOBIS "MAY" have a common chipset (Hardware interface) for both BT and Wifi. This implies that you have to share the timeslot for the data being sent (if you are using only one antennae). There could also be antennae design or issues in the chipset that may cause data loss or heating upon reaching higher data transfer rates (Simultaneously in BT and Wifi).

Since you cannot change the hardware (electronics) usually a software fix is done. There is a slim chance of this also being a software driver issue, which obviously can be fixed and updated.

From the looks of it, either the Chipset Vendor is unable to fix the software driver or there is a hardware limitation that prohibits MOBIS from enabling the feature. It dosent look like it has anything to do with a Navigation Map supplier.

It could be the case that the design for Wirless phone projection was never considered when designing this AVN System (older generation). The 8 inch infotainment could be a newer design where this was considered.
bharathgr is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 14:45   #2539
BHPian

Thank you @bharathgr for the explanation. So effectively does it mean that the owners of the current lot of the higher trims should stop expecting or have least expectations of ever getting a wireless AA/CP update?

Last edited by GTX+ : 23rd July 2024 at 15:00.
Old 23rd July 2024, 16:10   #2540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTX+ View Post
Thank you @bharathgr for the explanation. So effectively does it mean that the owners of the current lot of the higher trims should stop expecting or have least expectations of ever getting a wireless AA/CP update?
Am not sure, all i am saying is that it isnt that simple & most likely not a map provider issue.

When we were working on converged cluster + infotainment devices for motorcycles (5 years back), we hit a similar issue where wireless AA/CP was getting impossible. We had to change the chipset & introduce a multi antennae design. Another issue was also the wireless charger, since the phone was already heating up with wireless AA/CP. Ofcourse we had the limitation of the motorcycle and a closed box. It would be interesting to hear from users of Wireless AA/CP on heating of their phone.

Having said all this and worked with MOBIS, they are not going to bow down. They work 14+hours a day and put a lot of effort to ensure they are ahead of the competition. Electronics is the main diffrentiator for Kia & Hyundai. Let hope a software fix is coming soon.

Btw i just got an infotainment update yesterday. Now my Bose speakers are a bit more lively (Even the woofer), looks like it was an audio tuning update. The release notes were poor and did not mention much.
Old 23rd July 2024, 16:36   #2541
BHPian

If the issue can be fixed via a software update, then may be we still have some hope left. However if the issue is with the hardware (chipset and/or antenna) then I for one do not have any hopes of ever getting the wireless AA in my Seltos.

Thank you for providing a detailed explaination.
Old 23rd July 2024, 16:40   #2542
BHPian

Quote:
Am not sure, all i am saying is that it isnt that simple & most likely not a map provider issue.

When we were working on converged cluster + infotainment devices for motorcycles (5 years back), we hit a similar issue where wireless AA/CP was getting impossible. We had to change the chipset & introduce a multi antennae design. Another issue was also the wireless charger, since the phone was already heating up with wireless AA/CP. Ofcourse we had the limitation of the motorcycle and a closed box. It would be interesting to hear from users of Wireless AA/CP on heating of their phone.

Having said all this and worked with MOBIS, they are not going to bow down. They work 14+hours a day and put a lot of effort to ensure they are ahead of the competition. Electronics is the main diffrentiator for Kia & Hyundai. Let hope a software fix is coming soon.

Btw i just got an infotainment update yesterday. Now my Bose speakers are a bit more lively (Even the woofer), looks like it was an audio tuning update. The release notes were poor and did not mention much.
Kia Seltos sold in India uses the Standard Gen 5 infotainment system which is the same hardware used in Australia & EU where Wireless Android Auto & Carplay support was rolled out few months ago. Unless Kia India has deliberately cut out some hardware component from the infotainment screen, India Seltos has the exact same infotainment hardware as those in EU 7 Australia market. So, I don't subscribe to the view that the Indian Seltos are not capable of supporting Wireless AA & CP.

Of course, whether Kia India would support the software for Wireless AA & CP is yet to be seen.

Earlier this month, they released a July software update for the infotainment screen which swapped the original Here Maps offline maps with Map My India map dataset. (a whopping 24GB data swap on my Seltos!).

So, Kia is still working on improving the system & I am hopeful of Wireless AA & CP being rolled out at least in the December update.
Desi Dybuk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 18:35   #2543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi Dybuk View Post
Kia Seltos sold in India uses the Standard Gen 5 infotainment system which is the same hardware used in Australia & EU where Wireless Android Auto & Carplay support was rolled out few months ago. Unless Kia India has deliberately cut out some hardware component from the infotainment screen, India Seltos has the exact same infotainment hardware as those in EU 7 Australia market. So, I don't subscribe to the view that the Indian Seltos are not capable of supporting Wireless AA & CP.
If you have any references on the OTA update to seltos for wireless AA/CP in these regions, it would be reassuring. After all we would love to have the update in our vehicles as well.

Quoting from the below article,

"Mr Rivero noted that backwards compatibility with existing vehicles will not be possible, as the fifth-generation infotainment system fitted to the current range lacks the hardware for both confirmed new features."

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-new...pcoming-models
Old 23rd July 2024, 19:16   #2544
BHPian

Quote:
If you have any references on the OTA update to seltos for wireless AA/CP in these regions, it would be reassuring. After all we would love to have the update in our vehicles as well.
Here's the notification on Kia's EU website for Wireless Android Auto & Carplay

https://update.kia.com/EU/E1/updateNoticeView/z5ckII

Look under Standard Class Gen 5W section for Wireless Android Auto/Carplay. Also look for supported cars list; you'll see Seltos 2023 listed there
Old 23rd July 2024, 19:31   #2545
BHPian

So, here's a review of the ECM updates available for Seltos.

I got the ECM update this afternoon & at first glance, it definitely has made the car more responsive & smoother in acceleration. Even in ECO mode, the earlier slight half-a-second lag between pressing the gas pedal & vehicle moving has disappeared.

Also, earlier you could hear the engine grunt past 2k rpm (which was quite prominent in ECO mode) has virtually disappeared. ECO mode is now equivalent to Normal mode in responsiveness.

Can't comment on the changes to fuel economy since I haven't driven much to comment on it yet. But I'm loving the new engine tune as the car feels like a different beast altogether. I wouldn't mind a slight drop in FE since the car is more smooth & definitely more responsive!

Last edited by Desi Dybuk : 23rd July 2024 at 19:34.
Desi Dybuk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 21:07   #2546
BHPian

Quote:
Here's the notification on Kia's EU website for Wireless Android Auto & Carplay

https://update.kia.com/EU/E1/updateNoticeView/z5ckII

Look under Standard Class Gen 5W section for Wireless Android Auto/Carplay. Also look for supported cars list; you'll see Seltos 2023 listed there
Well it does mention Standard Gen 5W AVN for India which contains the camera alert, bluetooth volume and map update. But for the Wireless AA/CP update in Australia Seltos is not in the list. Ofcourse they dont sell Seltos in Europe. Technically, still no Homologated Seltos has got the wireless AA/CP update.

Yes it is also possible that the AVN unit is the same, but wondering if the chip shortage made them do something different. Lets hope for the best to get an update.

Btw thanks i was searching for these release notes.
bharathgr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 22:05   #2547
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Not giving Wireless CarPlay/Andriod-Auto for top model was big failure by Kia/Hyundai, whatever maybe the reason. Its idiotic to give wireless charging and want you to connect with wire for Carplay, which anyways would charge your phone through wire. Hope they still fix this.
Anyways i have a Carlinkit 4.0 which i was earlier using for Nexon, works flawlessly and connects wireless Carplay without any issues. Earlier same device used to have issues with Andriod-Auto used to hang a lot, but with iPhone/Carplay never had issues.
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2024, 10:07   #2548
BHPian

Quote:
So, here's a review of the ECM updates available for Seltos.

I got the ECM update this afternoon & at first glance, it definitely has made the car more responsive & smoother in acceleration. Even in ECO mode, the earlier slight half-a-second lag between pressing the gas pedal & vehicle moving has disappeared. !
How did you got the ECM update, I thought only infotainment update was released last week?
BhayanaV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2024, 10:40   #2549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhayanaV View Post
How did you got the ECM update, I thought only infotainment update was released last week?
For the ECM update you will have to visit the service center. From what I know, it takes roughly 20-30 mins for the update, apart from of course the waiting time.

I plan to go later today. Will post the feedback once I get it done.
GTX+ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2024, 10:40   #2550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhayanaV View Post
Kia is requesting Seltos owners to visit any service center for an ECM firmware update. You can either wait for your dealer to contact you or visit the service center directly to get the update done.

Last edited by bizi05 : 24th July 2024 at 10:41.
bizi05 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks