Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2023, 15:04   #241
BHPian

Re: 2023 Kia Seltos Facelift Review

I had pre-booked Seltos on 14 July using K-code. But was struggling to get the test drive due to below average dealership experience. Finally was able to get a 7 km test drive.

Test Drive Model: Seltos Petrol DCT GTX+

Test Drive mix: 75% highway + 25% city

Existing Primary Car: Type 1 Maruti Dzire Petrol and Ritz Petrol (both 1.2K engine).

Other existing cars in family include Sonet D AT GTX+, Seltos D AT HTK+, 2019 Swift P Vxi, Toyota Innova and Polo 1.6 TDI. I have driven all these cars for more than minimum 5k each. So I know a bit of these cars and the intent of sharing this information is that any new experience is relative to what you already know. What may seem as brutal acceleration to me may be tamed linear acceleration to someone with an entirely different garage composition.

Coming back to the topic, here are my observations:
Good:
+ Exterior looks. Enough said.
+ The quality of interiors. That adjustable shutter just reeks quality. The dashboard looks slick. Gear lever is a joy to hold.
+ Electric seat adjustment. Superb!!!
+ Paddle shifters were pure joy. Gear Lag- what is that?
+ Mid range and those paddle shifters. D4,5,6 are fun if you play with those shifters.
+ Slick infotainment system. That screen is the cleanest implementation in sub 20L range.
+ High speed stability. I touched 120kmph and it can go all day long without breaking a sweat. The car masks speed as well so you don't feel nervous. Straight line stability is top notch.

Average:
- Elephant in the room is ride quality on those 18 inchers. It's stiff. TPMS in the test drive car showed 36psi all around. Don't get me wrong here. The ride quality is not harsh in these new vehicles, but it's stiff and you will feel every patch work on the road. Since my primary ride is comparatively softly sprung, I could immediately notice the difference. If I end up buying GTX+, the first thing that will happen is tyre swap to UC6 or a softer tire set.
- Both previous iterations of Sonet and Seltos are stiff and the ride quality becomes progressively harsher as the tires become hard with time. The result is that these cars have to get new shoes in quicker span of time. To conclude, the ride is stiff, you feel everything under the tire albeit in an acceptable manner. My humble Dzire irons out the expansion joints on flyovers at 100kmph. Seltos will need to be slowed down over those expansion joints.
- The 1.5 turbo engine is not brutal - it's linear. Let me explain!!! I already have tasted Diesel Auto in my existing garage. That 115bhp motor can put much bigger combos to shame. It's not the number of horses that the motor has, it's how it puts it to wheels. In my experience, Sonet D AT triumphs Seltos D AT even in existing avatar. It pushes you back the moment you press the pedal. However, this 1.5GDI doesn't do that on its own unless you want it to. Put the car is Sports mode and use those paddle shifters. That's where the joy is!!! The downside is that unlike diesel motor, this joy mode will kill your mileage in the petrol motor.
- To conclude, unless you are living in NCR and have even 40% regular highway travel to take care of DPF issues, my suggestion will be to pick that 115 diesel over 160 petrol. It's the best of both worlds.
- Why not have memory functions for driver seat? Ask anyone where one car is shared by multiple drivers. Kia has already put in electric adjustment of seats. Just add memory function to make the functionality complete.
- In the same vein, with so much of personalization on offer on ADAS related functionality, why not add Driver Profile in the infotainment. While I may want ADAS to be fully active when my wife is behind the wheels since she is new to driving, I may not want to get all ding dong tones when I am driving. Another use case can be of different settings when one is driving on highways versus in City. Just change the driver profile to select what all features you want to be working instead of hearing those tones at the slightest flick of steering.
- Last but not the least, I didn't like the color choice for GTX+. Black roof with black seats that look inferior to even HTX variant did take some shine away from what is a beautiful cabin. Put those sage greens in GTX+ and replace the black roof liner with beige one.
- The same Bose music system works well in Sonet due to smaller cabin as compared to bigger cabins of Seltos and Carens. I noticed the same thing when I test drove Carens during its launch. The music sounds above average at best. Don't expect too much.

Next Action:
I will also test drive Seltos HTX IVT. Let's see where I land. I am unable to push myself for even seeing Elevate. If Seltos IVT ends up being a mixed bag overall, that may just push me to bring Elevate in picture. But at the moment, its Seltos IVT HTX versus Seltos GTX+ DCT.

Last edited by headbanger : 6th August 2023 at 15:18.
headbanger is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th August 2023, 15:26   #242
BHPian

Hello BHpians,

I'm considering between Setos HTX MT and Honda Elevate ZX MT. Waiting for the Elevate's pricing to be announced.

Had sat in the pre-facelifted Seltos HTX and it sure felt luxe. Really felt pampered, but I want something reliable with good ASS. I' changing my 13.5 year Honda City I-vtec which is running flawless till date.

Points in favour of Seltos -
- Gives you pampering with all the creature comforts and that panaromic sunroof looks great.
- Looks very aggressive and in your face design language.

Points against Seltos -
- I really don't know how will Seltos age as with so many features, screens & sensors, longevity is questionable as I plan to keep this car for around 10 years.
- Ride quality post 50k kms, as the real test is how the car performs in middle age.

Points in favour of Elevate -
- Realibility, ASS, tried and tested engine.
- Biggest wheelbase giving more legroom and boot space.
- Will age well mechanically.

Points against Elevate -
- Looks mature than Seltos which really looks badass.
- Very less features in 2023 era.

Any suggestions ? Thanks in advance.
Ajitesh_Drive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2023, 17:18   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitesh_Drive View Post
I'm considering between Setos HTX MT and Honda Elevate ZX MT. Waiting for the Elevate's pricing to be announced.
Wow! 13.5 years with a vtec motor. Any upgrade from your existing car will feel like you’re entering a new world full of connected car tech. You have summed it up nicely. IMO engine wise the elevate won’t feel like an upgrade. But the SUV body style and the ICE will feel new and refreshing.

On the other hand the Seltos will feel like a whole new package. Also, Hyundai Kia engines are equally reliable as well. I have a 10 year old i20 that runs buttery smooth till date.

Some more information on your usecase would be beneficial. If you do a lot of city driving then I would recommend the 1.5 NA petrol. In case of NA engine Honda is the best. But Kia is not far behind. For a lot of sedate highway driving and the occasional sprinted runs the 1.5 turbo petrol will do wonders. For purely sedate driving on highways and good FE a diesel is the right one.
Old 6th August 2023, 21:30   #244
BHPian

Hello BHPians,

Finally , we (Me & Missus) took a test drive of Seltos HTX IVT, we have a booking on hand via K-Code and as per the SA the car should get allocated soon. There was a huge rush for TD's at the dealership, so we couldn't stretch our TD . The car is a complete package at the current price point with almost everything essential for our daily drive, however we had few dislikes :

- The Engine-Transmission combo felt very lethargic and the rubber band effect was very significant. This is not the case in our current Civic CVT. Is is the case with Seltos IVT ?

- The headroom felt limited for myself - I am 5'11 and wear a Turban and my Turban brushed the roof during a speedbump . [ I ensured the seat height is adjusted to lowest position]

- The HVAC & Audio Control Panel felt clumsy with too many buttons, somehow we felt the switchable arrangement in Hyundai Verna more friendly.
Motorhead23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2023, 21:52   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by true_sedan View Post

Some more information on your use case would be beneficial. If you do a lot of city driving, then I would recommend the 1.5 NA petrol. In case of NA engine, Honda is the best. But Kia is not far behind. For a lot of sedate highway driving and the occasional sprinted runs the 1.5 turbo petrol will do wonders. For purely sedate driving on highways and good FE a diesel is the right one.
My main usage is for my daily drive in the city, 3-4 times highway runs in a year. I'm more than happy with my current gen city as I keep it in pristine condition, it still gives 12-13 kmpl in city and 17-18 on the highway. But due to the 15-year NGT rule here in Delhi-NCR have to switch. Will Seltos NA be better than Elevate's NA engine ? Really have doubts on the aging of Kia, since with so many screens, sensors etc. how it will keep up with wear and tear?
Ajitesh_Drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2023, 22:18   #246
BHPian

Quote:
My main usage is for my daily drive in the city, 3-4 times highway runs in a year. I'm more than happy with my current gen city as I keep it in pristine condition, it still gives 12-13 kmpl in city and 17-18 on the highway. But due to the 15-year NGT rule here in Delhi-NCR have to switch. Will Seltos NA be better than Elevate's NA engine ? Really have doubts on the aging of Kia, since with so many screens, sensors etc. how it will keep up with wear and tear?
If it’s the NA variant you’re considering Honda NA is better than Kia NA engine.
Feature wise Kia seltos HTX variant(top spec NA variant) gets the following extra over Honda elevate ZX CVT:
1) Panoramic sunroof
2) Sequential turn indicators
3) Smart air purifier
4) Dual zone AC
5) All 4 window auto up down
6) Drive modes

If that extra bit of performance and Honda reliability is important then go with the Elevate. You won’t be missing out on a lot. If it’s the above features you desire then Kia seltos is the way to go.
true_sedan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th August 2023, 22:38   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
Average:
- If I end up buying GTX+, the first thing that will happen is tyre swap to UC6 or a softer tire set.
- Both previous iterations of Sonet and Seltos are stiff and the ride quality becomes progressively harsher as the tires become hard with time. The result is that these cars have to get new shoes in quicker span of time. To conclude, the ride is stiff, you feel everything under the tire albeit in an acceptable manner. My humble Dzire irons out the expansion joints on flyovers at 100kmph. Seltos will need to be slowed down over those expansion joints.

- To conclude, unless you are living in NCR and have even 40% regular highway travel to take care of DPF issues, my suggestion will be to pick that 115 diesel over 160 petrol. It's the best of both worlds.

Next Action:
I will also test drive Seltos HTX IVT. Let's see where I land. I am unable to push myself for even seeing Elevate. If Seltos IVT ends up being a mixed bag overall, that may just push me to bring Elevate in picture. But at the moment, its Seltos IVT HTX versus Seltos GTX+ DCT.
The tyres are not going to help you with stiff suspension. It would make the difference, but marginally. Do not expect a plush ride if suspension is stiff.

If you are open to new ideas, nd looking for great ride quality cars do test Citroen C3 Aircross. I think it is around the corner. I have a C3 and suspension is just amazing. I would rate it way higher than any other car I have owned till date, including Fiat Linea (which was known for plush rides). The only issue is you will not get a feature rich car - just bare essentials.

Best is to wait for Elevate and test drive that. Based on review, it is going to tick most of the boxes. But as you said, you do not want to go that far.

Last edited by evilminstrel : 6th August 2023 at 22:39.
evilminstrel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2023, 23:49   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilminstrel View Post
The tyres are not going to help you with stiff suspension. It would make the difference, but marginally. Do not expect a plush ride if suspension is stiff.

If you are open to new ideas, nd looking for great ride quality cars do test Citroen C3 Aircross. I think it is around the corner. I have a C3 and suspension is just amazing. I would rate it way higher than any other car I have owned till date, including Fiat Linea (which was known for plush rides). The only issue is you will not get a feature rich car - just bare essentials.

Best is to wait for Elevate and test drive that. Based on review, it is going to tick most of the boxes. But as you said, you do not want to go that far.
The idea of softer tires is to just alleviate the problem, not to solve it. Seltos is a stiff car and it will show that characteristic. Period. Softer tires will just reduce the harshness a bit.

Can't pitch for Citroen primarily because it doesn't offer automatic which is a must have for me. And while I wish Citroen to succeed in India, I will not chance 20L with a ten year perspective on a brand with fledgling presence in India. When it comes to cars, I shop for bluechip brands with low downside in India. Slightly controversial strategy but works for me.

As for Elevate, lets see. My first instinct to the car was meh. But as they say, never say never. If I am able to get hands on display vehicle before mid September, I will try to evaluate it with open mind. Truth be told, the only other car which feels as complete as Seltos is XUV7OO. Though its adding to cost, but that 200bhp petrol engine mated with TC, good safety rating and a plush interior with similar feature set makes it a well rounded package. I can't opt for it owing to its external size differential. All of that just leaves me with Korean twins.

Last edited by headbanger : 6th August 2023 at 23:54.
headbanger is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 09:15   #249
BHPian

I test drove the 1.5L Turbo Petrol GTX+ Seltos and Taigun 1.5GT DSG back to back (both the showrooms are next to each other). I was behind the wheels and my wife was seated on rear.

Few observations:
- The Taigun felt more sturdy (even when you open the door) and planted during drive
- I found 1.5DSG better than the 1.5Turbo Petrol on Seltos in terms of gear shifts
- Wife found the ride on stiffer side (similar to our 10 year old Honda City) on Seltos. She did not complain much on the Taigun
- Lot of times I found the Seltos a bit confused when trying to accelerate. It did not inspire same level of confidence as VW
- Interior is where Seltos wins hands down. Taigun was pretty much crossed off in the interior segment and the premium feel when driving back to back especially when you are shelling close to 25L OTR Bangalore (both are more or less same for top trim).
- Until I opened the pano sunroof (just the shade cover), Seltos did not feel that roomy. Post that it was comfortable. The black roof lining does not help at all when shades are covered

Overall left with mixed feelings. The smile I got during driving VW 1.5 is not what I felt during the 1.5 Turbo Petrol on Seltos and the ride was somehow more stiff than Taigun. I'll be asking SA for longer test drive as not completely convinced on the engine, handling and ride quality. The looks and features however makes Seltos miles ahead of any competitor as of today in this segment and you do feel premium you are paying for (looks and features)

Last edited by neel911 : 7th August 2023 at 09:24.
neel911 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 09:27   #250
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I believe if it's only the reliability bit you are confused about, the 1.5 NA on Hyundai/Kia should be equally reliable. I have seen the 1.2 NA being reliable for about 13 years in my friend's I20, and the 1.5 NA should be the same.

Regarding the screens and sensors, these got nothing to do with engine IMO. You can always turn off a few sensors since you have the option to, incase you find it bothersome. Regarding screens and their reliability, these screens are best in business. If we can't rely on these, there's hardly anyone else to rely on. I would also say the Seltos atleast offers you these screens, the competition does not.

That said, Elevate test drive vehicles should be available soon. I would suggest do test drive it once atleast, since you would be putting down a significant amount of money, it's always prudent to try out all the available options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by true_sedan View Post
If it’s the NA variant you’re considering Honda NA is better than Kia NA engine.
Feature wise Kia seltos HTX variant(top spec NA variant) gets the following extra over Honda elevate ZX CVT:
1) Panoramic sunroof
2) Sequential turn indicators
3) Smart air purifier
4) Dual zone AC
5) All 4 window auto up down
6) Drive modes

If that extra bit of performance and Honda reliability is important then go with the Elevate. You won’t be missing out on a lot. If it’s the above features you desire then Kia seltos is the way to go.
Seltos actually gets way more in the IVT HTX trim. Quoting myself from other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Seltos HTX IVT is way better equipped than the Elevate ZX. Gets the following over the Elevate-
  1. All wheel disc brakes
  2. Proper TPMS with air readouts
  3. Front Parking sensors
  4. Sequential turn indicators
  5. Pano Sunroof
  6. Ambient lighting and Sound mood lamps
  7. Drive modes
  8. Traction modes
  9. All LED interior lamps
  10. Illuminated power window buttons
  11. Auto Up down for all windows
  12. Rear camera with dynamic guidelines (Elevate gets static)
  13. Driver rear view monitor
  14. Rear door sunshades
  15. 3 adjustable rear headrests (Elevate gets 2)
  16. Dual Zone AC
  17. 3 point rear seatbelts (Elevate gets lap belt for middle)
  18. Height adjustable front seat belts
  19. Speed limiter function in cruise control
  20. Reclining rear seats
  21. Navigation display in MID
  22. Smart Air Purifier
  23. A more loaded and faster 10.25 inch touchscreen

Elevate ZX on the other hand gets the following over Seltos HTX IVT-
  1. ADAS without rear rear cross traffic alerts and blind spot monitoring (Without Radar, suspect effectiveness under rains and at night)
  2. Lane Watch Camera
  3. Wireless charging
  4. Wireless apple carplay and android auto
  5. Request sensor on passenger door (Seltos gets only on Driver door)
Clearly the Seltos IVT HTX is way more loaded than Elevate ZX CVT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead23 View Post
- The Engine-Transmission combo felt very lethargic and the rubber band effect was very significant. This is not the case in our current Civic CVT. Is is the case with Seltos IVT ?
I believe the Civic gets a more potent 1.8Litre NA engine. The power and torque output are considerably higher, and so should be the overall performance. Then there's the superb aerodynamics of Civic (one of the best in business). Comparing Civic 1.8 NA with any of the segments NA crossovers would result in downgrade for you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead23 View Post
- The HVAC & Audio Control Panel felt clumsy with too many buttons, somehow we felt the switchable arrangement in Hyundai Verna more friendly.
- The headroom felt limited for myself - I am 5'11 and wear a Turban and my Turban brushed the roof during a speedbump . [ I ensured the seat height is adjusted to lowest position]
I guess you should get used to the buttons, this should not be bothersome. More buttons are always preferred.
The headroom bit could be deal braker for you though. Do try out more seating positions for thorough understanding.

Last edited by 07CR : 7th August 2023 at 09:35.
07CR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 11:51   #251

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssoni.1411 View Post
Hello everyone!!
Had a call with my SA and he was saying if I want early delivery it is compulsory to take insurance and accessories of 25k from them. Or else wait for normal waiting time of 3-4 months. We have an option of choosing accessories but we need to take it from them compulsorily of 25k which they have labelled as basic/essential kit and added in the price. Has anyone had a similar discussion?
Had a similar discussion with my SA at Allied Motors Noida. Had pre-booked the car with them in May (also says so on the booking docket). I received notification from them on 26th July that a car has been allotted to me. When I told them that I am not interested in taking insurance, basic kit or convenience service package, they responded later that day saying that they cannot allot the car to me and I will receive it when the company allots one for me.
devDriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 12:10   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
I'll be asking SA for longer test drive as not completely convinced on the engine, handling and ride quality. The looks and features however makes Seltos miles ahead of any competitor as of today in this segment and you do feel premium you are paying for (looks and features)
Most of the test drive vehicles have high tyre pressures. For your next test ride, first get the tyres re-pressured to the recommended levels. This will get you the "normal" feel of the Seltos ride quality.
SeniorC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 13:54   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorC View Post
Most of the test drive vehicles have high tyre pressures. For your next test ride, first get the tyres re-pressured to the recommended levels. This will get you the "normal" feel of the Seltos ride quality.
Any reason why the showroom staff don't bother to maintain the correct tyre pressure before test drives? After all, a high pressure level does affect the ride quality and Kia may lose a potential customer.
Old 7th August 2023, 13:56   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devDriver View Post
Had a similar discussion with my SA at Allied Motors Noida. Had pre-booked the car with them in May (also says so on the booking docket). I received notification from them on 26th July that a car has been allotted to me. When I told them that I am not interested in taking insurance, basic kit or convenience service package, they responded later that day saying that they cannot allot the car to me and I will receive it when the company allots one for me.
1. Which trim/variant/colour did you book?

2. Since you do not want to take the insurance, basic kit or convenience service package from the dealer, how much time will it take for you to get the car as per dealer's estimate?
Old 7th August 2023, 15:52   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devDriver View Post
When I told them that I am not interested in taking insurance, basic kit or convenience service package, they responded later that day saying that they cannot allot the car to me and I will receive it when the company allots one for me.
On similar lines, I wrote in my Whatsapp group created by the Dealers team that I have heard you guys are giving priority to people who buy accessories and Insurance from dealer, if yes let me know. Since they couldn't give it in writing they denied of any such practice. Then I asked them to let me know my waiting list number with them for the IVT HTX and approx how many dispatches they have received/will receive. They have been mum after my message.
riteshritesh is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks