Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2024, 22:20   #2131
BHPian

Re: 2023 Kia Seltos Facelift Review

So Kia didn’t revise / hike the prices of the GTX+ variants and retained at 19.99 L.

Smart move , else they would have lost even more buyers as many states have higher tax slabs for cars costing 20 L +.

On a side note , there is no listing of HTX DCT on the website. Has this been discontinued ?
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 00:02   #2132
BHPian

Friends, after test-driving a Honda Elevate (last year when it was just launched), a toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder, Seltox GT-Line DCT and Seltos HTX-IVT, I've almost finalized the IVT.

It's a pity that it's not available in a higher trim at least a HTX-Plus.

I found the DCT struggling (and thereby shuddering) in Bangalore's infamous bumper-to-bumper traffic. That, coupled with the harsh ride, thanks to the 18" wheels was a strict no-no.

The IVT is excellent within the city, but loses steam on a highway. I went on an extended test drive on the Bangalore-Mysore Expressway. In the manual mode (either using the paddle shifts or gear lever), I loved the drive, the hesitation and/or the rubber-band effect is almost negligible.

The only fly-in-the-ointment is the ridiculous digital display. I hate numbers on my speedometer and tachometer. The change in the 'theme' only changes the background ring around the numbers - green/purple/red for econono/normal/sport modes respectively.

Though the Sales Rep confirmed that there was no option of an analogue display in the HTX, I want to know if any bhpians has managed to re-program the display to show analogue dials? Though I did not check any HTX-Plus, the display of the GT-Line has many options!

After all the screen is the same as in the higher-end models. Thanks in advance for any positive inputs.
cpbopanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 08:19   #2133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post

I found the DCT struggling (and thereby shuddering) in Bangalore's infamous bumper-to-bumper traffic. That, coupled with the harsh ride, thanks to the 18" wheels was a strict no-no.

The IVT is excellent within the city, but loses steam on a highway. I went on an extended test drive on the Bangalore-Mysore Expressway. In the manual mode (either using the paddle shifts or gear lever), I loved the drive, the hesitation and/or the rubber-band effect is almost negligible.
Just last weekend I took my GTX+ on a 600+ km drive. This was my first long drive other than going to the Bengaluru airport and back. The one thing that really stood out was the awesome turbo "kick-in". It gives great confidence when trying to overtake any vehicle on highways. Even without turbo, the acceleration is super quick in higher gears.

Fortunately, my drives in Bengaluru city are limited now, thanks to wfh. But within a few days, I got used to the slightly slower acceleration in lower gears compared to my previous manual car.

For test drive cars, please check tyre pressure when you take test ride. When I did, the tyre pressure was around 48 !!! When they delivered my new car, it was about 40. I have since reduced it to 34 and in about six months, it has come down to about 31-32 and the ride quality is fairly decent.

For me the only thing missing is a good lumbar support. Now I am looking for some after market option.
Old 2nd April 2024, 08:42   #2134
BHPian

Quote:

If your usage is mainly city and you're a soft-footed driver, then IVT makes sense. I'm surprised that you felt shuddering in traffic with DCT. I test drove Seltos/Creta DCT 4-5 times before booking, and I tried it in dreaded peak-hour whitefield traffic, Normal mode was handling it with ease. I felt sports mode is strictly no go inside the city, even for VW twins. As far as ride quality, as suggested above, check the tire pressure. They are usually above 40 psi in test-drive vehicles.
Old 2nd April 2024, 09:32   #2135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
Fortunately, my drives in Bengaluru city are limited now, thanks to wfh. But within a few days, I got used to the slightly slower acceleration in lower gears compared to my previous manual car.
I am in the same boat now. Currently I own a Honda City 4th gen facelift and absolutely love driving it especially within the City. But the constant bumper to bumper traffic of Bengaluru made me consider switching to automatic since years. Finally took that bait now, and decided on Seltos. Loved the turbo kick-ins and opted for DCT. Have to get used to slower acceleration in bumper to bumper scenarios, especially in flyovers I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilarkt View Post
If your usage is mainly city and you're a soft-footed driver, then IVT makes sense. I'm surprised that you felt shuddering in traffic with DCT. I test drove Seltos/Creta DCT 4-5 times before booking, and I tried it in dreaded peak-hour whitefield traffic, Normal mode was handling it with ease. I felt sports mode is strictly no go inside the city, even for VW twins. As far as ride quality, as suggested above, check the tire pressure. They are usually above 40 psi in test-drive vehicles.
I have test drove Seltos and Creta N-line once. Planning to do it one more time over the Marathahalli Bridge today, where my daily commute takes place in peak hours. Still got to understand when to switch to N, when to P, when to apply electric handbrake, auto-hold, etc.
Old 2nd April 2024, 10:35   #2136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTX+ View Post
The HUD does have its practical use. It helps keep you eyes on the road and still check e.g. the route, speed, etc.

I wouldn't call it a gimmick neither it hinders your view of the road ahead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalnadMansha View Post
Those of you who have the X-line, the HUD is actually useful or more of a gimmick/hindrance?
Only usecase of HUD for me is the navigation directions. However, these are also visible in instrument cluster, so you don't really loose sight of the road ahead. Though it would be about 10% better than the instrument cluster, since you are practically also viewing the road through the HUD glass.

Quote:
I am using the facelifted DCT here in Pune traffic daily. I never felt the shuddering even once, infact the shift quality is absolutely seemless and no one even notices the shifts. Also I would recommend driving in the ECO mode in city conditions, as I observed my average increases about 1.5 in Eco mode. Sports mode is a strict NO, as the car becomes very jerky in city conditions.

As suggested above try checking the air pressures for 18 inchers. I keep it at 33 and it rides beautifully in city conditions. Showrooms overinflate it to 40+ PSIs!

Last edited by 07CR : 2nd April 2024 at 10:43.
Old 2nd April 2024, 12:12   #2137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
I also drive 40% of the time in gearbox S mode which keeps the rpms in the 1800-2400 range (with light accelerator inputs). This is the band where the engine has the optimum air to fuel ratio as the turbo is spinning at the right rpm to deliver sufficient air.
This morning i drove from Latur to Hyderabad (286km), and I used S mode for 90% of my drives and I must say it was such a pleasure driving in S mode. As far as mileage, I could achieve 21.4km/l
Attached Thumbnails
2023 Kia Seltos Facelift Review-screenshot_20240402121010.png  

bharathdonti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 12:21   #2138
BHPian

If Forward collision detection and rear collision detection, blind spot assistance are all turned on, when driving on a highway, if two trucks are going in two adjacent lanes with let us say 2 cars distance between them, I am used to overtaking by weaving through.
But will ADAS apply brakes in such situations? Different levels of ADAS are there like setting near, far, etc. But I don't want to learn it in such situations directly. I need to understand how to overtake in such situations when all features are turned on. Otherwise, there is a high chance of rear-ending.
Old 2nd April 2024, 13:03   #2139
BHPian

Quote:
If Forward collision detection and rear collision detection, blind spot assistance are all turned on, when driving on a highway, if two trucks are going in two adjacent lanes with let us say 2 cars distance between them, I am used to overtaking by weaving through.
But will ADAS apply brakes in such situations? Different levels of ADAS are there like setting near, far, etc.
While I understand that you are used to weaving in and out on highways, my two cents advice would be to avoid such kind of driving, ADAS or not. Our highways are full of idiots who think that these are closed racetracks where they can speed up to their hearts content.

Let there be sufficient gap between the two trucks and then overtake with care.
SeniorC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 13:34   #2140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But will ADAS apply brakes in such situations? Different levels of ADAS are there like setting near, far, etc. But I don't want to learn it in such situations directly. I need to understand how to overtake in such situations when all features are turned on. Otherwise, there is a high chance of rear-ending.
Yes it does apply brakes and will in fact stop you from doing such a maneuver. So please drive safe and responsibly.

Any Adas equipped car will be extra careful and will be completely opposite to your driving style.

I have noticed that if I try to overtake a car in front of me and get too close, it intervenes and increases the gap. The minimum safe gap the adas system Tries to keep is 1 car length.

Also another point for all others to be careful with trucks. The adas system in the Seltos cannot judge the distance to trucks accurately if they have no run under bars installed as it measures the distance to the inner parts instead. So please maintain extra distance from trucks especially as the adas may be too slow to react in such situation. I also realised this when I had kept adaptive cruise control on and the car almost rear ended a big truck as it could not judge the distance correctly.

Last edited by Behemoth : 2nd April 2024 at 13:37.
Behemoth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 13:37   #2141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorC View Post
While I understand that you are used to weaving in and out on highways, my two cents advice would be to avoid such kind of driving, ADAS or not. Our highways are full of idiots who think that these are closed racetracks where they can speed up to their hearts content.

Let there be sufficient gap between the two trucks and then overtake with care.
Yes, I did not mean rash weaving. If you are on right lane and there is a truck in front of you, one truck in middle lane with two cars gap in front of the right lane truck, and one more truck just at the same level as your car in the middle lane, when there is sufficient gap, the only way to overtake is by weaving, but yeah not rashly.
However, even though I ensure there is sufficient gap, I want to know from those who use ADAS in these situations regularly, can you expect any ADAS intervention here and application of sudden brakes, which would be hazardous due to a possible rear-ending.
Old 2nd April 2024, 14:37   #2142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For two car distance, ADAS won't intervene. Might give you a audio/visual warning, but it won't brake. For one car distance it would and it should!
07CR is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 15:02   #2143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
For two car distance, ADAS won't intervene.

Comment deleted. Kindly ignore.

Last edited by GTX+ : 2nd April 2024 at 15:21.
Old 2nd April 2024, 15:04   #2144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanec View Post
I believe it depends on the time of day. At noon and a little past, the central speaker grill's reflection on the windscreen is VERY evident while driving, and a little distracting. Attached an image from my dashcam that illustrates this. I see a similar issue in one of 07CR's images too - the one at around 1pm. It's not remotely an issue at other times of the day.

Attachment 2558851
Was scanning through the thread since I am about to book the Seltos GTX+ Petrol DCT tomorrow.
I took the test drive one more time today at around 11.30 am and the dashboard reflection on the windshield was very evident. Not only the speaker grille, but I could see the entire dashboard's top surface reflections, which was quite distracting.
Are there any reflections of the infotainment system, etc during night drives?

Considering it already comes with UV-cut glass, is it advisable to go for a 70-80% transparent anti-glare film?

PS- Sorry for the multiple questions in this thread. Having sleepless nights thinking about all such petty questions before the big day of booking it!
Old 2nd April 2024, 15:11   #2145
BHPian

Forward Collision Detection/Avoidance, as the name suggest, only detects objects directly in front of the car and not those which are on the side. For that, we have the Blind spot monitoring, which only alerts, does not stop the car.

I might be partially/totally wrong on this, but what I have noticed from own experience is this. The FCD/A has a 3 way range, front, left and right.

The left and right range is approximately the width of the car. You can take it from right headlight to left. So any object straight ahead and in between these two limits, ADAS will detect and depending on the distance, will slow down and stop the car. Point to note here is that FCD/A only works if the speed of the car is 80 kmph or less. If you are above that speed, it might only alert, but will not slow down or stop the car.

Now coming to your specific question, keeping in mind the above explanation, unless you are too close to the truck in front, you need not worry about the truck on your left/right and easily weave through.

But as @SeniorC, others and yourself have mentioned, be extremely careful while overtaking, especially with the ADAS features on because we do not know how will ADAS react in certain situations (e.g. the distance of the object ahead, we may think it is adequate, whereas ADAS may consider it to be unsafe).

The only way you will gain more confidence on driving your car and also on ADAS is by actually trying it out while driving. We can only share our experiences, but nothing beats self experience.

Last edited by GTX+ : 2nd April 2024 at 15:19.
GTX+ is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks