Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2024, 14:58   #1771
BHPian

Re: 2023 Kia Seltos Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTX+ View Post
Saved by ADAS!!

Last night I had to go to the airport to pick my relatives who were arriving in a late night flight at 2AM. I had planned to leave home by 12:30 AM, I wanted to take some rest in the afternoon, however due to some or the other work I could not rest, nor did I get an opportunity later in the evening. I then decided to let go of sleep altogether because if I slept at around 10/11PM, I would not have got up in time (I am a very very sound sleeper).

DME - Delhi - Meerut Expressway
GZB - Ghaziabad
ACC - Adaptive Cruise Control
LKA - Lane Keep Assist
LDW - Lane Departure Warning
LFA - Lane Following Assist
Glad to hear that everyone is safe including the vehicle. Take care, please avoid driving when you are exhausted even with ADAS at your disposal.

Last edited by Alphaseal6 : 22nd February 2024 at 15:00.
Alphaseal6 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 15:02   #1772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Slight correction needed. First lock the car. Again press lock button. Then hold remote start button for couple of secs. Indicators will blink thrice and car will start.

Correct.
Hey can anyone shed light on how to use Boot hold function? I tried a similar process to the remote lock but nothing happened there with the boot.
Old 22nd February 2024, 15:08   #1773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaseal6 View Post
Hey can anyone shed light on how to use Boot hold function? I tried a similar process to the remote lock but nothing happened there with the boot.
The boot function is only to unlock the boot keeping the remaining doors locked. It is not very useful. Unless you are asking someone suspicious to retrieve things from the boot.
blogslogger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2024, 08:54   #1774
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Saved by ADAS!!

Very glad you are safe! And thank you for sharing your experience.

This post serves as a testament to how ADAS can be a lifesaver, particularly on expressways. I see a lot of people don’t hesitate in declaring ADAS as useless, which is just ridiculous IMHO. Yes, not perfect for Indian city traffic conditions, but very handy when it comes to such situations.

A close friend who owns a MG Astor with ADAS recently recounted a similar incident where he was saved by emergency braking. “I will never buy a car without ADAS”, he says.

Last edited by Col Mehta : 23rd February 2024 at 08:59.
Col Mehta is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2024, 09:00   #1775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Last night I had to go to the airport to pick my relatives who were arriving in a late night flight at 2AM.
In a situation like this, always sleep early.

Lets says lights out at 830 or 9pm, thats a good 3 hours you get to rest. Its better than not sleeping at all.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2024, 10:40   #1776
BHPian

Thank goodness nothing happened to you. ADAS works really well and seems to be effective! I wish ADAS was available back then.

My dad had an accident on the highway because he fell asleep, exhausted from heavy work the previous day. He unintentionally accelerated too much, and the car reached speeds above 130. Someone who was following my dad's car provided the info. At first, they thought he was drunk, but then they realized he was actually asleep. He hit a center median, resulting in severe damage to his leg. He spent a whole year in bed, went through surgeries, and more. Even now, he cannot drive or walk like before. All of this could have been prevented with ADAS, and, importantly, the car he was driving wasn't even rated a single star.

ADAS is now on my checklist for the next car I'm buying.
raptor_diwan is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2024, 12:02   #1777
BHPian

Glad to know that everyone in car is safe.

Don't sacrifice the sleep to other things in case you have to travel night time and happy to read that ADAS helped to avoid major crash

My rule of thumb is to avoid night drives at any cost and if in case I have to drive night I ensure that I got to bed early and make sure I have proper sleep for good 4-5 hours before I start journey.
anilsurya1985 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2024, 12:41   #1778
BHPian

Quote:
Saved by ADAS!!
Incidents like these reinforces and proves the fact that ADAS is a life saver. Thanks for sharing your experience. This also strengthens my own case of going for an ADAS equipped car as my next upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Anderson View Post
I wish I could show this post to those numerous so called car reviewers on YouTube who are totally against ADAS and go on to call it as something gimmicky and not made for Indian roads.
Well, which is why I always take those reviews with a pinch of salt. I would rather trust and rely on reviews of actual owners like on this forum. ADAS maybe not be very useful for city traffics yet, but I do believe that its a valuable safety feature on highways.

What amuses me is that we are obsessed, and rightly so, with build quality and 5 star ratings which are useful only after an accident but ADAS which can prevent an accident is termed as a gimmick.
Kickdown is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2024, 12:57   #1779
BHPian

In my reading phase, I was going through the XUV700 owner's manual and it has many interesting caveats.

Collision mitigation system does not work on cones, barrels, barricades, on coming vehicles or even animals!
CMS behaves differently for different speeds where pedestrians, cyclists are involved and there are heavy caveats on how they should dress and their heights apart from the visibility of body parts.
ACC uses only 30% of the braking capacity and may not be helpful in scenarios where sudden deceleration is involved.

In short, it is great to have ADAS features but it is just assistive and in no way a substitute especially during tight situations with close calls.
careind is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2024, 13:10   #1780

I'm glad to hear that you're okay.

I had a similar incident five years ago, but in my case, I fell asleep for just five seconds. I woke up just before my car hit the median. It was already too late when I realized what had happened. I applied the brakes, slowing down the car, and we hit the median at a speed of 20-30 km/h. Fortunately, nothing happened to me. The car was a beloved Duster diesel, which had good build quality and absorbed all the impact.
Max5414 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2024, 13:16   #1781
BHPian

While ADAS definitely helps, isn't cruise control partly to blame for the driver dozing off? When you are actively engaged in driving, you will realize it as soon as you are drowsy. It impacts the driving within a second. With cruise control, this feedback is absent.
pseudo_coder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2024, 14:18   #1782
BHPian

Quote:
Saved by ADAS!!

Glad to hear you are Safe and ADAS proved its mettle. I recently did a short Highway Trip in my new Seltos and was able to experience few ADAS Features like ACC, LKA and they worked like a charm. Had deliberately kept FCA Off, but looks like it might need a rethink. Stay Safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaygeorgeroy View Post

For Question 2, This is interesting, My automatics have had a manual hand brake, so this wouldn't happen. May I know when the EPB light is going away? Is it when the break is depressed again in N ? or When the shift to P happens?
Checking again today, EPB Light goes away as soon as i Shift from N to R to P. It stays On when the Brake is depressed in N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasshhhh View Post
No, what he wants to say is that once you have shifted in "N" and engaged EPB. Then further, from "N" to "P" there is no need to depress the break pedal. You can do it directly. And in this way, EPB would not get deactivated and will stay red in instrument cluster.
Are you sure you can move the Stick from N to P without pressing the Brake? I tried it but it would not move. I did not apply too much pressure, fearing any damage.
abhi3284 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2024, 14:19   #1783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Saved by ADAS!!
When I save enough for a nice car in Dubai I know what I am going to look out for... not that V8, but ADAS.
svsantosh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2024, 14:41   #1784
BHPian

The only main reason for me to buy GTX+ model for Seltos was the included ADAS. MG motors started this trend for these segment cars, but now most major manufacturers in India are providing them in their 20+ lakhs priced cars. Just like any newer technology adoption, there will be plenty of naysayers, but I firmly believe that progressively the ADAS functions, atleast the basic ones, should also be provided in most of the car's, other than entry level hatchbacks (for now).
SeniorC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2024, 15:14   #1785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi3284 View Post
Are you sure you can move the Stick from N to P without pressing the Brake? I tried it but it would not move. I did not apply too much pressure, fearing any damage.

I personally do this every time I park my car.
I don't think there will be any damage.

When we put the car in neutral by depressing the brake pedal and then engage the EPB, in my opinion, the responsibility that was initially on the brake pedal shifts to the EPB. Then from here on, EPB performs the same function as break pedal, so there is no need for us to depress the brake pedal again.

But if you depress, then EPB transfers the responsibility to you again and in that process the red light goes off.
Flasshhhh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks