Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2024, 13:36   #1756
BHPian

Re: 2023 Kia Seltos Facelift Review

Can one upgrade to the Power Window Touch Button for the Facelift model (Pre-2024 model)?
Old 21st February 2024, 15:54   #1757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blogslogger View Post
Rear Cross traffic alert too, is a life saver as two and three wheelers can come from anywhere and without notice. It has saved my car twice or thrice.
Rear-cross traffic alerts and avoidance are definitely good features to have. Especially in a city where bikers seem to consider it a personal insult if they don't zip through the last 2 millimeters behind a car while it's reversing. However, I do find both a bit too conservative. I get alerts when there's a car approaching on the other side of the two-lane road I exit on to. The car also auto-applies the EPB if someone is standing even a smidge under 4 feet away (I measured ) I'm concerned this happening repeatedly will affect the EPB or damage the internals.

I don't know if there's a way to adjust the sensitivity of each individual ADAS feature, or even ADAS on the whole. While I personally do like the convenience it offers, I don't believe ADAS can handle the (lack of) road sense among Indians. I'd love to hear how others tackle this.
arcanec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 16:00   #1758
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1amit View Post
Thanks for information. I tried these steps and it worked. Couple of observations

1. When I disconnected my phone and connected after a min or so, I again have to select Android Auto Connection Mode on the phone. Is there a way to auto select that upon connection? (Till mid 2023, I had used same phone for Android Auto on my Nissan Rogue in US and never faced this issue. It seems later system updates may have caused this issue).

2. When I use Android Auto, I do see split screen on Infotainment system. Is there a way to stop split screen when Android Auto is being used?
1) Yes that is the normal process now and everytime you have to select the Android Auto mode. But I think there is a setting buried inside the Android Auto on the phone where you can setup Android auto to start automatically when your phone is connected to the car.

2) if you want a single part of the screen just tap that and it will be maximised
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 16:39   #1759
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
1) Yes that is the normal process now and everytime you have to select the Android Auto mode. But I think there is a setting buried inside the Android Auto on the phone where you can setup Android auto to start automatically when your phone is connected to the car.
Even after enabling Android Auto to start Automatically, I have to select Android Auto Connection Mode while reconnecting cable to the phone.
Old 21st February 2024, 16:52   #1760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi3284 View Post
Which among the below is the correct sequence while Parking for minimal wear and tear of transmission:

1) Stop the Vehicle.
2) Depress Clutch and move to N.
3) Engage EPB.
4) Depress Clutch and move to P. [When i do this, i observe the EPB Red Icon on the Cluster goes away].
I believe it should be the first approach for the lowest strain to the gears. Just with a minor modification. Once the car is in neutral and EPB is engaged, release the brake (brake would have been depressed when you moved to N). This would make sure that the weight of the car is completely resting on the EPB and not the cars engine. Once this is done, then you can shift the car to P. That way there is no strain on the gears due to the weight on the car, this is more important if you are stopping on a slope.
If the brake is not released, after pulling the epb in neutral, and is only released once the gear is in P, the weight of the car (or some part of the weight ) could rest on the gear. I have been following this on all my cars, especially the DSGs.
Old 21st February 2024, 18:29   #1761

Has anyone faced any issues with Wheel alignment on GTX Plus DCT variant [18 Inch Wheels]?
I have been having wheel left pull since day 1 and it just wont get fixed even after multiple wheel alignments.
Old 21st February 2024, 18:54   #1762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harivasanth View Post
Has anyone faced any issues with Wheel alignment on GTX Plus DCT variant [18 Inch Wheels]?
I have been having wheel left pull since day 1 and it just wont get fixed even after multiple wheel alignments.
None whatsoever for me, mine is about a month old.
ankur_fox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 21:26   #1763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanec View Post
I don't know if there's a way to adjust the sensitivity of each individual ADAS feature, or even ADAS on the whole. While I personally do like the convenience it offers, I don't believe ADAS can handle the (lack of) road sense among Indians. I'd love to hear how others tackle this.
I have not read anywhere in the manual to individually set the sensitivity of each feature, but I have set the forward safety warning timing to "late". With this I have so far not experienced any sudden breaking.
SeniorC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 10:01   #1764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaygeorgeroy View Post
I believe it should be the first approach for the lowest strain to the gears. Just with a minor modification. Once the car is in neutral and EPB is engaged, release the brake (brake would have been depressed when you moved to N). This would make sure that the weight of the car is completely resting on the EPB and not the cars engine. Once this is done, then you can shift the car to P. That way there is no strain on the gears due to the weight on the car, this is more important if you are stopping on a slope.
If the brake is not released, after pulling the epb in neutral, and is only released once the gear is in P, the weight of the car (or some part of the weight ) could rest on the gear. I have been following this on all my cars, especially the DSGs.
Ok. To confirm, for shifting from N to P, Brake Pedal would still need to be Depressed, correct? Another thing i observed if i follow this method is that when i engage EPB, the Red EPB Icon glows on the Instrument Cluster. After this when i move from N to P, the EPB icon goes away. Does EPB gets deactivated then?
However, it stays On if i follow the 2nd Method of moving to P first and then engage EPB.
Old 22nd February 2024, 11:22   #1765
BHPian

Quote:
Ok. To confirm, for shifting from N to P, Brake Pedal would still need to be Depressed, correct? Another thing i observed if i follow this method is that when i engage EPB, the Red EPB Icon glows on the Instrument Cluster. After this when i move from N to P, the EPB icon goes away. Does EPB gets deactivated then?
However, it stays On if i follow the 2nd Method of moving to P first and then engage EPB.
No, what he wants to say is that once you have shifted in "N" and engaged EPB. Then further, from "N" to "P" there is no need to depress the break pedal. You can do it directly. And in this way, EPB would not get deactivated and will stay red in instrument cluster.
Old 22nd February 2024, 11:36   #1766
BHPian

Quote:
For Question 1, Yes, The brake should be pressed, at this point since the load is already on the Park Brake, there is no load transfer to the gearbox.

For Question 2, This is interesting, My automatics have had a manual hand brake, so this wouldn't happen. May I know when the EPB light is going away? Is it when the break is depressed again in N ? or When the shift to P happens?

If the EPB gets automatically disengaged when the brake is pressed in Neutral or while shifting, This method doesn't achieve any gains, it's just better to put it directly into P, I can't imagine why this is implemented this way though considering the drawback,maybe the EPB system has some mechanism to shift the load to first to the EPB, and not onto the gearbox. Even if it is not there, I wouldn't fret too much, unless you are always parking on a heavy incline.
Old 22nd February 2024, 11:52   #1767
BHPian

Saved by ADAS!!

Last night I had to go to the airport to pick my relatives who were arriving in a late night flight at 2AM. I had planned to leave home by 12:30 AM, I wanted to take some rest in the afternoon, however due to some or the other work I could not rest, nor did I get an opportunity later in the evening. I then decided to let go of sleep altogether because if I slept at around 10/11PM, I would not have got up in time (I am a very very sound sleeper).

At 12:30 AM, I left my home in GZB and took the DME. As soon as I got on, I don't know what prompted me (surely it was God), and I turned on the ACC and all 3 lane features (LKA, LDW & LFA). I was cruising all along till Akarshardham, when suddenly I felt the strong jerks in the steering and car sway towards left.

I was jolted and it didn't take long for me to realise that I had slept off. I think it was only for a very very brief period, less than half a minute I think, because I was still near Akshardham. I turned on the hazard lights and pulled over towards the side. I was in shock and totally numb. I had narrowly missed a disaster. I had fresh water with me, I washed my face thoroughly and decided to go to the breakout point just few meters ahead at the start of Yamuna bridge and have a cup of tea and think over of what just happened.

Clearly, lack of sleep had taken its toll. While I was attentive and well prepared mentally that I have to drive and won't get sleep at least for next few hours, my body failed me, even if for few seconds. Those few seconds were enough to cause irreparable damage. The only thing that saved me last night was ADAS!! If I had not turned on the lane assist features, I would have surely crashed into the median and given the speed (exactly 70 KM/Hr) my car was in, it would have been a fatal crash.

The other thing I realised is that ACC only works if there is a moving vehicle ahead, it does not work in case the barrier ahead is a stationary object, because my car had not slowed down during the near miss. (more on this in my next post)

I thanked my stars, God, and the engineers at KIA for my lucky escape and resumed by journey and drove at speed below 60 throughout. Thankfully the rest of the journey (& the return journey) was uneventful.

I will make another post on what lessons I learnt from this near-miss.

DME - Delhi - Meerut Expressway
GZB - Ghaziabad
ACC - Adaptive Cruise Control
LKA - Lane Keep Assist
LDW - Lane Departure Warning
LFA - Lane Following Assist
GTX+ is online now   (129) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 12:01   #1768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTX+ View Post
Saved by ADAS!!

The other thing I realised is that ACC only works if there is a moving vehicle ahead, it does not work in case the barrier ahead is a stationary object, because my car had not slowed down during the near miss. (more on this in my next post)
Glad to hear your family and the car is safe.
Sorry to get technical, but Adaptive cruise is designed to ignore anything not in the 'lane' as it would treat them as traffic on the other lane. You would have gotten 'Check Nearby Traffic' and then AEB would have activated if it thinks there would be a collision.

Thankfully, the lessons were learnt without any damage.
blogslogger is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 12:57   #1769
BHPian

Quote:
Glad to hear your family and the car is safe. Thankfully, the lessons were learnt without any damage.
Thank you . Yes I will post some of my thoughts and lessons from this incident.

Quote:
Sorry to get technical, but Adaptive cruise is designed to ignore anything not in the 'lane' as it would treat them as traffic on the other lane. You would have gotten 'Check Nearby Traffic' and then AEB would have activated if it thinks there would be a collision.
I do not think ACC works as per the lanes marked on the road, if that if what you meant, because it works even on roads where there are no lanes painted.

I think the radar fitted in the front ejects rays in a fixed area up ahead. And when a "moving" vehicle fouls this area, ACC applies brake and as soon as the area is clear, it accelerates.

But the point I am trying to make is that if there is a "stationary" object ahead (like a concrete pillar or curving median), ACC does not recognise it as an hazard and does not slow down vehicle. For that one needs to have the FCW & FCA turned on for emergency braking.

Disclaimer: What I am claiming above is my observation based on a little test I did last night. By no means I say my observation is 100% correct. Because the ACC setting in my car is to maintain a gap of 3 car lengths and while I took my car pretty close to the concrete median (straight ahead), I am not sure if it was within 3 car lengths or not. But since I was pretty close and car did not slow down, I manually applied brakes. Surely another test is required or someone with in-depth knowledge can clarify.

Last edited by GTX+ : 22nd February 2024 at 12:59.
GTX+ is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 14:26   #1770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTX+ View Post

I thanked my stars, God, and the engineers at KIA for my lucky escape and resumed by journey and drove at speed below 60 throughout. Thankfully the rest of the journey (& the return journey) was uneventful.

I will make another post on what lessons I learnt from this near-miss.

DME - Delhi - Meerut Expressway
GZB - Ghaziabad
ACC - Adaptive Cruise Control
LKA - Lane Keep Assist
LDW - Lane Departure Warning
LFA - Lane Following Assist
I wish I could show this post to those numerous so called car reviewers on YouTube who are totally against ADAS and go on to call it as something gimmicky and not made for Indian roads.

ADAS is totally worth it and a life saver. If you have proper driving etiquettes then ADAS will NEVER cause any hindrance to your driving experience. It's usually only those people who complain about ADAS who cannot keep proper distance from the vehicle infront, try to do risky overtakes and in general drive roughly.

It might take a little time to get used to it(especially in city traffic), but once you do, you realise going back to car without ADAS will never be an option (atleast for me).

PS : I own a Seltos X-Line Diesel 6AT.

Last edited by KarthikK : 22nd February 2024 at 15:00. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
Mr Anderson is online now   (20) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks